• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

Answered my own question from earlier - the latest Nvidia drivers cause stuttering on PC. Rolled back to the last driver and I'm back to good stuff.

Few new newbie questions...

When do I start upgrading my weapon? I just fought some regular enemy that was basically like the tutorial boss (fuck him), and haven't changed my starting gear.

I infused a weapon with fire but didn't actually upgrade for like half the game. Of course, you can do it as early as you can get materials. They may seem scarce at first, but later on they rain from the sky they give you so many upgrade materials.

neoism

holy shit....
so i avoided the fingers covenant for story purposes, and was watching a video on stats and one of the options with the fingers covenant is alter appearance ....😮😮 holy shit cant i redo my character..?
thats awesome if so..

Was it?

ibbzIHg775hDFU.gif

I spilt my tea you dick
Lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
the fucking walk to the Prince is more annoying than the fucking boss itself

fuck those knights seriously
lol....
elevator shortcut, yo

Yeah, I died to
curse on my first attempt as well. Didn't realize it came from a gas though. Next attempt I went in guns blazing and got an easy win. Maybe they intentionally designed the boss to catch the typical cautious Souls player off guard?
I dunno. In a bizarre way, it reminds me of Four Kings. Just a silly DPS race, but easier.

Reminds me of...

nxt_the_ascension_mar13.jpg
Or
Immortal.jpg

Okay not really... but those gestures should still be in the game. :D

burgerdog

I figured greatsword must of been some easy way to kill him or something since I did the same and so many people complain about him.
Just went after the birds head so much that I was able to do a visceral attack on it from it getting stunned and that killed it fast. Then in the second phase just dodge towards and through his attacks made it so I didn't get hit much. Also when he was doing some long ass charging move I was able to stun him as well.

Here's the video, I did laughably bad in phase 1. I came close to saying screw it and starting over but phase 2 went really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMo9hegd8P4

I'm talking like Dark Souls 2's arena. Something like that.

Meh, I prefer the more organic and player created approach then the game telling me "okay this is that pvp duel area for pvp duels. One way feels very video gamey and the other feels more like souls.

But who knows what the DLC will bring.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, made the leap of faith and just purchased this game. Downloading as we speak.

I've played DS1 and DS2 as a heavy armor Strength and shield class, but I'm considering going Pyro with a Dex weapon in DS3. Is that a viable build? Or should I stick with a heavy armor Strength build? I heard magic was kind of broken in this game.

zma1013

I cannot for the life of me ever fight anything in any of these games that uses long poky stab weapons without getting hit by every single stab move ever.

Welp now that that stuff is live, time to try Darkmoon again. Been holding off on doing anything else since I don't want to level any more of of what could be it's summoning range.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I got invaded by some player who appeared to be gliding around the ground, his arms and legs motionless. If he even came close to me, my shield would be knocked in the air and then a series of attacks would occur. Is this cheating, or is this a legitimate move set/style? He killed me and a summon with little to no effort and the best I could muster was to get him down to 25% health.

If this is a legitimate move set/style, then PVP can fuck right off. It's nearly impossible to win because you cannot tell what is going on, be it healing or attacks.

I cannot for the life of me ever fight anything in any of these games that uses long poky stab weapons without getting hit by every single stab move ever.

Roll into them/behind them.

The Flash

Banned
Meh, I prefer the more organic and player created approach then the game telling me "okay this is that pvp duel area for pvp duels. One way feels very video gamey and the other feels more like souls.

But who knows what the DLC will bring.

I can respect that.

One thing I'd like added, though I don't it'll happen, is more gestures. DS2 had some good ones that are sadly not present.

Maddrical

I seriously struggled with
Lorian & Lothric
last night, didn't manage to kill them in about ~6 attempts, I don't think any other boss has taken me more than 3 so far. It feels good to be challenged but I've barely seen discussion about this boss, is he not considered hard or am I just bad? I realised his 3 hit combo is pretty easy to dodge so I've completely removed my greatshield for better rolling, but that second phase is really getting to me. My second last attempt I finally killed
Lorian
and then he got ressed to 3/4 HP and I died, so I presume you need to get them both low similar to the Throne Watcher/Defender fight. Any tips for this fight? For what it's worth I'm using the Butcher Blade +10, love this thing. Also I LOVE the concept/idea/lore behind it, really cool.

My last attempt
at the start of phase 2 Lorian teleported to me & hit me and then Lothric hit me with his soul spear spell and I instantly died. That was me done for the night.

jonjonaug

I seriously struggled with
Lorian & Lothric
last night, didn't manage to kill them in about ~6 attempts, I don't think any other boss has taken me more than 3 so far. It feels good to be challenged but I've barely seen discussion about this boss, is he not considered hard or am I just bad? I realised his 3 hit combo is pretty easy to dodge so I've completely removed my greatshield for better rolling, but that second phase is really getting to me. My second last attempt I finally killed
Lorian
and then he got ressed to 3/4 HP and I died, so I presume you need to get them both low similar to the Throne Watcher/Defender fight. Any tips for this fight? For what it's worth I'm using the Butcher Blade +10, love this thing. Also I LOVE the concept/idea/lore behind it, really cool.

My last attempt
at the start of phase 2 Lorian teleported to me & hit me and then Lothric hit me with his soul spear spell and I instantly died. That was me done for the night.

Try hitting them from behind if you can so you can damage Lothric. Once Lothric goes down the fight ends, won't matter how much HP Lorian has left. Once you have Lorian's HP low try to get the last hit in with a nearly full stamina bar so you can wail on Lothric as soon as Lorian goes down.

Jamaro85

That would be nice. For now the area after Pontiff is pretty good for fight clubs.

Absolutely this. I wanted to see how much mayhem could go on at that spot, so I embered, waited for an invasion and had the Way of Blue covenant on. I don't know how long the brawl went on for but I was invaded by no less than five players (not at once obviously) and had two sentinels summoned in that time. Someone eventually ended the fun by knocking me off the steps to plunge to my death.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Neither my Darkmoon/Sentinel nor my Way of the Blue ever worked, though I confess I haven't been embered much.

Is there some trick to it/was it recently fixed?

xinek

Alright, made the leap of faith and just purchased this game. Downloading as we speak.

I've played DS1 and DS2 as a heavy armor Strength and shield class, but I'm considering going Pyro with a Dex weapon in DS3. Is that a viable build? Or should I stick with a heavy armor Strength build? I heard magic was kind of broken in this game.

I've had a blast using pyromancy as a supplement to melee, eventually using it for most everything. I can't speak for dex specifically, because I kept my strength and dex stats as low as possible and did a raw weapon infusion on a longsword. But pyromancy itself is pretty good, and you get decent pyromancies and rings early enough so it doesn't feel like a big struggle.

burgerdog

Neither my Darkmoon/Sentinel nor my Way of the Blue ever worked, though I confess I haven't been embered much.

I managed to get 23 Sentinel summons on my way to beating the game on my second character but as soon as I take my weapons to +7 / +10 the summons stop.

Jamaro85

I've run around with the Sentinels covenant equipped for probably a third of my time playing the game and have never once been summoned. I throw on Way of Blue when I really don't feel like being bothered deep into an area, and I'd say help has been summoned about half of the time.

I can't imagine the demand for Sentinels being huge as I figure if people don't want to be invaded they (most) will probably not be embered.

I got invaded by some player who appeared to be gliding around the ground, his arms and legs motionless. If he even came close to me, my shield would be knocked in the air and then a series of attacks would occur. Is this cheating, or is this a legitimate move set/style? He killed me and a summon with little to no effort and the best I could muster was to get him down to 25% health.

If this is a legitimate move set/style, then PVP can fuck right off. It's nearly impossible to win because you cannot tell what is going on, be it healing or attacks.

Roll into them/behind them.
its just your connection. happens to me

i just cant stand the "look" of mouse/touchpad aiming in games that dont need it. so choppy and quick in camera movements, i turn down cam. sensitivity for controller for that smooth look.

I had the same concern, but apparently it can be tweaked for the same type of input? I dunno, we'll see.

Just finished! What a goddamn ride. Loved it, I felt it click at a few points. Got the
Yuria
ending just by stumbling through that quest so...yay? I am actively dressing like a hobo so that ending cinematic was particularly absurd.

Let's go again!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've had a blast using pyromancy as a supplement to melee, eventually using it for most everything. I can't speak for dex specifically, because I kept my strength and dex stats as low as possible and did a raw weapon infusion on a longsword. But pyromancy itself is pretty good, and you get decent pyromancies and rings early enough so it doesn't feel like a big struggle.

Oh interesting, I didn't consider doing a raw infusion. What stats do you need to raise for Pyromancy? Is it both Int and Faith?

Maddrical

Try hitting them from behind if you can so you can damage Lothric. Once Lothric goes down the fight ends, won't matter how much HP Lorian has left. Once you have Lorian's HP low try to get the last hit in with a nearly full stamina bar so you can wail on Lothric as soon as Lorian goes down.

Ahh, knowing that the fight ends with Lothric makes me feel a little better. I got him down to about 20% once he jumped off Lorian but when he started casting a spell I thought he was going to use a big AoE spell and kill me so I ran away, oops. I'll get 'em tonight, thanks.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yes.

Combines Int and Faith for scaling.

Cool thanks. Maybe I'll raise Dex/Str to the point where I can wield the weapons I want then do a raw infusion and pump points into Int/Fth. Or maybe I'll try to pump up Dex concurrently. Bah, who knows! I'll figure it out as I go.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I am having a really hard time with the
Pontiff
. Any tips?

Strafe to his right. Parry the very wide fire sword swings.
Cool thanks. Maybe I'll raise Dex/Str to the point where I can wield the weapons I want then do a raw infusion and pump points into Int/Fth. Or maybe I'll try to pump up Dex concurrently. Bah, who knows! I'll figure it out as I go.

That's what dedicated Pyro characters tend to do.

MilkBeard

Well, logging in now with app ver. 1.06. Want to see if there is any difference with Darkmoon summons.

Also, has anyone noticed differences with spells and casting?

EDIT: Got summoned into Blademoon after 2 minutes wandering around Farron Keep. Pretty good.

Well, logging in now with app ver. 1.06. Want to see if there is any difference with Darkmoon summons.

Also, has anyone noticed differences with spells and casting?

I've been running around the archives for 30 minutes now and so far nothing. Think I'm just poisoned.

Edit: >:C to your edit.

xinek

Oh interesting, I didn't consider doing a raw infusion. What stats do you need to raise for Pyromancy? Is it both Int and Faith?

Yeah, and there was some big post on reddit recently where someone showed specifically that you get the most benefit from leveling Int and Faith together rather than one or the other. I think it may be like other weapons, where the most benefit comes from upgrading the pyro glove than relying on skill scaling. That's just my feeling from leveling Faith a lot, then the glove, then Int to eventually catch up to Faith. I didn't do any actual testing or anything. Don't forget Attunement -- I really cranked that up as I relied more and more on pyro. So there's a lot to balance with a build like this.

Regarding the melee weapon, I thought I'd eventually level Faith enough to swap out the raw infused sword for a blessed one, but even with my Faith now well above 30, a similarly upgraded raw weapon is still way better. That was unexpected. But with my char around level 80 now, that hardly matters -- my pyro is strong enough to melt fools left and right.

Floody

Just spent the last 2 days trying to kill the N
ameless
K
ing
, with my slow as hell greatsword, without a shield (finally beat the prick). So after struggling so much with him, I decided to watch some YouTube videos, to see how others beat him. Found some guy beating him with a base level crossbow, going in thinking that must have been hard, only to find he can't deal with range fighting at all, the guy barely got hit. Kinda made me super sad he becomes a joke, if you fight him at range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom