• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

I just need a yes or no answer for final boss.
Can he be parried? I've been trying to do it for 30 minutes now and not a single parry. Lots of partial parries. Currently trying the target shield.

Is there any negative aspects from being becoming
hollowed
from the Yoel questline? It will cost me over 40000 souls to cure myself and I just cant come close to affording that :/

Brakke

Banned
So I beat Pontiff Sully and have been putting down my mad phantom sign outside right after his bonfire since that zone is pretty active. Either I suuuuuuck at PVP or my build does. I'm trying a Pyromancy build with Dex (mostly for archery) and I just do not know what my weapon should be. I've been using the Deep Battleaxe because 1) I've had it forever so it's comfortable and 2) it's embarrassingly quite good.

This combonation seems terrible for PVP?? I have no range with that axe, and Pyromancy is just so easy to punish during the wind-up. Anyone got any tips? I have like 12 STR, 18 DEX, and about 24 each in FTH and INT. What kind of gear should I be rocking? My first play through I did a STR build, and I don't want to put any more points into STR if I can help it, for the sake of variety. Lil help?

MilkBeard

Damn. JUST found the Sage Coal after exploring Farron Woods. There are a lot of missable areas here. I usually get out of the area quick because of poison.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So what is the general consensus on the best weapons in the game?

Been rocking a Broadsword forever now, but looking to try out something new. Fume Ultra Greatsword?

bargeparty

Alright, game done, all bosses dead including optional.... I still don't know what the hell happened in the story though (first finished dark souls game). Thoroughly enjoyed my 65 hours though, some of the best level designs in my opinion. Loved the intricacy of the ending
castle
area.

The Flash

Banned
Someone tried to be cheeky and use that super crossbow on me during a duel.

anigif_longform-original-9059-1401920887-2.gif

Dresden

Been rocking a Broadsword forever now, but looking to try out something new. Fume Ultra Greatsword?

Basically any straight sword does well. Broadsword, Longsword, Dark Sword, Sunlight Straight Sword, Anri's Straight Sword. I used the last on my run (luck build), also had the warden twinblades (far more enjoyable to use).

GulAtiCa

I have a Dark Sword. Got lucky and it randomly dropped for me.

But not so impressed with it yet. Maybe a +10 version will be more to my liking (Chaos infused). Currently at +6. But currently prefer my +6 Fire Flamberge is doing more for me currently. Better range, obviously. And stun-locks most enemies, esp big ones.

I can of course do more swings, and faster, with the Dark Sword. But comparing the 2 against the Silver Knights at the A
nor londo
bonfire, the greatsword is better still. Esp as the longsword doesn't stop them from attacking me.

I need to start upping my Luck stat to make the Bleed part go up/etc. I'm going to likely go for a 125 lv build. Currently at like I believe 65.
Since I'm a Pyro, I'll get my INT/FTH to 40/40, which doesn't leave much left for Luck stat.. By the time I beat the game, I might start using a different greatsword by then. The Bleed on the weapon feels like it's being wasted currently, since the Luck stat is still at 7.

Floody

For PvE? everything is pretty good, been using the Black Knight Sword and Astora Greatsword (the L2 is great), both quite slow though, so I have a Refined Dark Sword for the really tough guys, as back up.
Was thinking of trying the Fume Ultra Great Sword. but don't have 50 strength, seemed super slow whenever I saw anyone using it.

For PvP? I always see Estocs.

Bogeypop

Doing some last minute PC invading before the Short Sword nerf. Invade in F
arron
W
oods
. It's me versus the host and three other phantoms. Manage to hold them off until another invader shows up. We beat the phantoms 2 vs 3 and a third invader shows up. The tables are turned 3 invaders versus 1 host and the he immediately runs away and alt+F4s. Stay classy Hosts. Also seems word finally got around to the lesser versed players about the Seed of a Tree of Giants as 9 out of 10 invasions have it popped before I even finish loading in.

EDIT: Also seem to be running into a lot of the same players. Feels especially good when you first invade them and get destroyed by their gang squad only for you to have backup in your second invasion and destroy them when it's 4 versus 2 reds.

Double EDIT: I ran into the same disconnecting host again and he disconnects yet again when I kill all his phantoms! Hope I keep running into him so I can get him soft banned.

Vaporak

Man, trying to do some PvP on my second time through the game and the netcode is as shitty as it's ever been. Hit a guy twice and as I'm backing off he parries and I get sucked into the parry animation and die. :/ Stark reminder of why I always give up on the pvp in these games.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Basically any straight sword does well. Broadsword, Longsword, Dark Sword, Sunlight Straight Sword, Anri's Straight Sword. I used the last on my run (luck build), also had the warden twinblades (far more enjoyable to use).

Damn. I thought there'd be something better than my Broadsword. I swear, I do so much more damage to enemies from all the consecutive hits than I do swinging those big two-handed weapons and waiting for my stamina to recover. It just doesn't make sense to gp with anything else but the straight swords. Even in PVP I can usually just mash R1 and the player will be staggered and die.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and there was some big post on reddit recently where someone showed specifically that you get the most benefit from leveling Int and Faith together rather than one or the other. I think it may be like other weapons, where the most benefit comes from upgrading the pyro glove than relying on skill scaling. That's just my feeling from leveling Faith a lot, then the glove, then Int to eventually catch up to Faith. I didn't do any actual testing or anything. Don't forget Attunement -- I really cranked that up as I relied more and more on pyro. So there's a lot to balance with a build like this.

Regarding the melee weapon, I thought I'd eventually level Faith enough to swap out the raw infused sword for a blessed one, but even with my Faith now well above 30, a similarly upgraded raw weapon is still way better. That was unexpected. But with my char around level 80 now, that hardly matters -- my pyro is strong enough to melt fools left and right.

This is very exciting stuff. Raw infusion with a focus on Int/Fth/Att it is. Thanks for the tips!

I also just spent the last 1.5 hours creating my character. Man these sliders are a pain to work with but I think I'm finally happy with what I've got!

So, I'd say I am nearly done with the game, and about 3/4 of the bosses have only taken me 1 try.

I am not sure if I am just feeling it, if sword and board is imba, or the game is just easy.

For instance, P
ontiff
took me 2 tries, and it seems to be regarded as one of the hardest. I just beat D
ragonslayer
A
rmour
and O
ceiros
the C
onsumed
K
ing
on the first try, blind.

Maybe this is just the "easiest" SoulsBorne?

Finally did it!

Got 30 Wolf's Blood Swordgrass!

I probably got the weirdest RNG:
Day 1 took me 2hrs to get 7 WBS
Day 2 (aka today) i spent 1hr and got 12 WBS!
Then i decided to just reset the game each time i got a WBS. Within 15mins got 10 WBS!

I had 435 item discovery, so just letting everyone know that quitting out and resuming the game each time after receiving a WBS may increase your chances.
(PC fyi)

Now onto Darkmoon farming

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yeah, and there was some big post on reddit recently where someone showed specifically that you get the most benefit from leveling Int and Faith together rather than one or the other. I think it may be like other weapons, where the most benefit comes from upgrading the pyro glove than relying on skill scaling. That's just my feeling from leveling Faith a lot, then the glove, then Int to eventually catch up to Faith. I didn't do any actual testing or anything. Don't forget Attunement -- I really cranked that up as I relied more and more on pyro. So there's a lot to balance with a build like this.

Regarding the melee weapon, I thought I'd eventually level Faith enough to swap out the raw infused sword for a blessed one, but even with my Faith now well above 30, a similarly upgraded raw weapon is still way better. That was unexpected. But with my char around level 80 now, that hardly matters -- my pyro is strong enough to melt fools left and right.

What pyromany spells to you main?
I feel like I over rely just on fire orb

daninthemix

Damn. I thought there'd be something better than my Broadsword. I swear, I do so much more damage to enemies from all the consecutive hits than I do swinging those big two-handed weapons and waiting for my stamina to recover. It just doesn't make sense to gp with anything else but the straight swords. Even in PVP I can usually just mash R1 and the player will be staggered and die.

The thing is that large weapons need more power, not that straight swords need a nerf. With a Raw Astora +3 it still takes around 6 or 7 swings to kill those large pot / saw wielding hollows, and that's with basically the most powerful straight sword you can have at that point in the game. Nerf straightswords and then it takes, what, 10, 12 swings maybe? Then you basically have a bullet-sponge yawnfest.

Big weapons need big power, which they currently don't really have.

The Lamp

Got a good story related to a mid-later boss Y
horm
the G
iant

I spent 3 hours slowly learning how to take down this fucker, but I was playing at a friends house and all the friends were getting frustrated at how long it was taking me to take him down. By 3 hours I had gotten him to less than half health but my character dies in one hit and my attacks barely did any damage, but I would make 1 mistake where he would kill me.

They started asking me to try different spells and weapons (I'm a Mage), so to entertain them, I would. One of them about 1.5 hours into the 3 hours kept joking that I should sit on his throne, he bets it's the way to beat him. We all laughed but I dismissed it.

Eventually I accidentally roll into the throne and notice the item and grab it. Friend jokes again that he knew the throne was the way to beat him. They check online and find the weapon kills Yhorm in 5 hits.

We all start laughing uncontrollably because he was right. If I had just checked the throne I could have won hours ago! Miyazaki, you fucker. I can't believe he put something like that in the game. I won 10 minutes later lol

Welp. Two days wasted on just running around with darkmoon on and no summons. Time to just go kill the last boss and get on with my life. I could have farmed out the stuff as drops in the time I've wasted avoiding doing that.

kagamin

Got a good story related to a mid-later boss Y
horm
the G
iant

I spent 3 hours slowly learning how to take down this fucker, but I was playing at a friends house and all the friends were getting frustrated at how long it was taking me to take him down. By 3 hours I had gotten him to less than half health but my character dies in one hit and my attacks barely did any damage, but I would make 1 mistake where he would kill me.

They started asking me to try different spells and weapons (I'm a Mage), so to entertain them, I would. One of them about 1.5 hours into the 3 hours kept joking that I should sit on his throne, he bets it's the way to beat him. We all laughed but I dismissed it.

Eventually I accidentally roll into the throne and notice the item and grab it. Friend jokes again that he knew the throne was the way to beat him. They check online and find the weapon kills Yhorm in 5 hits.

We all start laughing uncontrollably because he was right. If I had just checked the throne I could have won hours ago! Miyazaki, you fucker. I can't believe he put something like that in the game. I won 10 minutes later lol

GIMMICK FIGHTS AHOY!

2AdEPT

So I've finished the game four times.
I just found the
blessed red and white round shield +1
for the first time. WTF? Extremely useful early game item for practically everyone.
really needs to be stacked with other blessed weapons to make it useful though, so there are eventually better options for useful gear, but I admit shield is the best type of gear for this as you dont want to gimp damage for a blessed weapon. I dont think you can bless the morion blade, it is a good weapon to have on your off hand for ists buff but I doubt you could make it blessed as it upgrades with twinkling. Other options would be the item find sword and the shield of want for extra souls...I haven't tried but I just dont think you can stack these various buffs on a single weapon.

edit: Ha I knew I had some cutting room floor footage of where to find it!
I am having a really hard time with the
Pontiff
. Any tips?
depends if you want to cheese him or not...to me cheese is learning to parry and stacking hornet ring and cortical damage buffs...ive seen people do him in two parries. I am goign to learn his attacks and dodge my way to victory ...it might take me a few lumps and prolly a few days of misery...but so much more rewarding.

so far I can tell that people are using the corners to heal and this works, break sight lines with the boss to heal dont try to heal in plain sight.

Also you can kill the shadow really easily, maybe one extended combo so make sure you have a long stamina bar and you are good to go. People are neglecting to kill the shadow ASAP and are suffering having to deal with two bosses when they dont have to. Always key on the shadow if there is one and use the time he takes to make a new one to destroy him.

I am having a really hard time with the
Pontiff
. Any tips?

I killed him alone in 60 seconds using the Great Chaos Fire Orb pyromancy lol.

I also killed him in 60 seconds, but by parrying. There are 3 ways to parry: on the opening slash (practice the timing here), normal ground slash with its clone, and the jumping forward slash with its clone. Fun stuff if you can get it down.

Bogeypop

host and the he immediately runs away and alt+F4s. Stay classy Hosts.

Double EDIT: I ran into the same disconnecting host again and he disconnects yet again when I kill all his phantoms! Hope I keep running into him so I can get him soft banned.

"As multiplayer sessions have repeatedly ended in an improper manner, the connection between worlds has been severed. Connection can only be restored with a Way of White Circlet."

So wait a minute, I get punished for hosts who disconnect?!

"As multiplayer sessions have repeatedly ended in an improper manner, the connection between worlds has been severed. Connection can only be restored with a Way of White Circlet."

So wait a minute, I get punished for hosts who disconnect?

Now, I'm no expert, but it really seems to me like the whole system is fundamentally broken

Bogeypop

Now, I'm no expert, but it really seems to me like the whole system is fundamentally broken

Trying to see if I can't roll back my save or something so I don't have to use the Circlet. Seems utterly stupid since even when it's a 4 versus 1 gank squad I never disconnect.

EDIT: Phew, it seems I was able to revert to a previous save where I wasn't soft banned. Good thing I've been keeping tons of back up saves after my save got corrupted and I lost 20 hours. (Half of that time was spent PvPing and cooping and the other half was actual gameplay that I was easily about to make up in about 3 or 4 hours)

Double EDIT:
Just to be super safe I'll roll back to my save from before I started PvPing today to not risk it. There go all those Pale Tongues though. Really soured on even trying to do regular invasions anymore, and Fight Clubs aren't as fun as I like the thrill of the "hunt"...

BraXzy

Boss spoiler

I'm still quite the noob and early on in the game, I found the
boss just in front of the cliff, the second boss I've come across I think? Gigantic dog like thing covered in armour. Vordt of The Boreal Valley!

Died a few times failing miserably, and then managed to half skill half luck my way to defeat it!!!!!! I was hanging onto life by less than a thread!

So hyped!! :D

SRTtoZ

Boss spoiler

I'm still quite the noob and early on in the game, I found the
boss just in front of the cliff, the second boss I've come across I think? Gigantic dog like thing covered in armour. Vordt of The Boreal Valley!

Died a few times failing miserably, and then managed to half skill half luck my way to defeat it!!!!!! I was hanging onto life by less than a thread!

So hyped!! :D

Just the beginning :D

Literally.

Sarcasm

I am in the road of sac or w/e..,swamps and giant crabs - I do little damage now =(

Anyways I don't really pay much attention to covenants but what is the difference between way of blue and blue sentinels?

Am I missing something by not really paying attention.

BraXzy

Just the beginning :D

Literally.

Yuuuuuupppp! But exciting times. I've been going real slow, partly because I suck, partly because I'm intimidated by anything that moves haha. Very happy to have got him for on my fourth try.

Image of my health (spoiler)

I still don't feel wholly confident with the game yet. I played a decent amount of Bloodborne way back and I feel like in that game I felt competent at this point,dealing with trash mobs with ease. Still not there yet with this. Would people say this is a harder game? Or do I just need to git gud? xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom