• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHlover

Banned
Did anyone else on PC have weird issues with the game last night? It kept telling me I couldn't use the online features because there was a new version but Steam didn't update at the time.

About 12-14 hours ago? Update was just pushed a little later for end users than the server I think. So while the server expected the new version it took another hour or so until it was actually possible to download.

Still on the fence. Love Dark Souls, haven't been able to get into Dark Souls 2 no matter how many times I've tried. Should I give this a go?

I say go for it. Didn't like DS2 that much either but I'm really having a blast with DS3. It feels completely different than DS2.

You probably
ran into the tower and jumped down or homeward bone'd out. He locks the door behind you after you take the elevator.

You can also run into him in the Cathedral of the Deep under very specific conditions, but if he's showing up in Firelink it's already too late.
I completely missed him everywhere except when he was in Firelink. Kind of disappointed.

I got all my Sunlight Medals in NG+, so for the entirity of NG++ I had on Way of the Blue.

Every time I got invaded I had a Darkmoon join and help me. It definitely work, but I think people are farming so much that not many people are wearing Way of the Blue.

People should start spreading the love and wearing it.

Darkmoons are called all the time when I invade, so I think it's working. I don't wear Way of Blue myself because I enjoy fighting invaders on my own too much. I accidentally equipped it once (mistook it for blue sentinels) and someone was called pretty quickly after I was invaded. It sucked. I didn't want to gank the invader so I held back and let the summoned brolice deal with it. He beat the invader very easily, robbing me of a fun fight.

I like to jokingly trash talk brolice (extending my asshole invader persona into the gaf threads) but I have to say after facing them several times, they are usually pretty good sports. Unlike the ganking scrublord hosts, they're not afraid to face you on their own, or even of rushing to get you when you hide behind enemies. Always fun to fight them.

I'm kinda sad that Solaire
isn't Gwyn's first-born.

That was such a dumb theory, with literally nothing to back it up in-game. Nothing but wishful thinking really. I'm glad it seems this game proved me right.

I wonder if the Darkmoon/Blues summons more favor those who are more higher ranked. If so, well... That would just be dumb.

Yeah, clearly on some level it works. Plenty of times when I invaded, a blue was there to protect. One time I invaded 2 blues were there!...

Every time I got invaded I had a Darkmoon join and help me. It definitely work, but I think people are farming so much that not many people are wearing Way of the Blue.

Yes, I don't doubt that it is "working" but there is something wrong with how it works/who it picks. For example:

My last playsession after the patch I got about 7-8 Blademoon summons. Level 111. It clearly works at certain levels. PS4 by the way. I can't say if it's better than it was before though.

I've probably collected over 90 Proof of Concords by this point.

I'm level 103 on ps4 and have been for 3 days now, and have had the Darkmoon item on non stop in an area with it active. After the patch last night I was running around killing things about non stop till around 4am. Now of course that doesn't mean it isn't working right, it could just be something I did wrong.

Do you have a weapon that is fully upgraded? Are you embered when you get summoned? Do you have any bosses active in your game? How about your settings? Sorry about the questions, just trying to find out what the difference is.

Levito

Banned
About 12-14 hours ago? Update was just pushed a little later for end users than the server I think. So while the server expected the new version it took another hour or so until it was actually possible to download..

That was probably it, I'm not home yet to check if there was a patch. Thanks!

zewone

I am not yet fully convinced of that theory, tbh. The only hint is
"the heir of lightning" bit on the Swordspear's description, which is kind of vague.
There's actually a ton of evidence. (Optional Boss Spoilers)

In short, the Nameless King is the Firstborn of Gwyn. What we have long known about the Firstborn is that he was a god of war that was stripped of his status. This is from the Ring of the Sun’s Firstborn:
Ring of the Sun's first born, who inherited the light of Gwyn, the first lord. Greatly boosts miracles. The Sun's first born was once a god of war, until he was stripped of his stature as punishment for his foolishness. No wonder his very name has slipped from the annals of history.
The Nameless king’s soul refers to the Nameless King as a dragon slaying god of war until he “sacrificed everything” to ally with the dragons, so that seems to match the firstborn’s story perfectly. The Soul of the Nameless King:
Soul of the Nameless King. One of the twisted souls, steeped in strength. Use to acquire many souls, or transpose to extract its true strength. The Nameless King was once a dragon-slaying god of war, before he sacrificed everything to ally himself with the ancient dragons.
Further confirmation of the Nameless King’s identity comes from his armor, which is said to greatly resemble Gwyn’s. From the Golden Crown;
Crown of a nameless king who was ally to the ancient dragons. This golden crown, buried amidst long strands of bristling ash, is said to closely resemble that of the First Lord.
So we finally learn the Nameless King’s “foolishness”; he made allies with his father’s great enemy. It’s not known exactly why he did this, but the in-game tale that is told by the Lightning Storm miracle that describes his bond with a storm drake may tell of this:
Miracle of the Nameless King, ally to the ancient dragons. Calls forth furious bolts of lightning. Once a slayer of dragons, the former king and wargod tamed a Stormdrake, on which he led a lifetime of battle. This miracle is likely a tale of their bond.
More evidence of the Nameless King’s bond with the stormdrake comes from the Storm Curved Sword, which also implies that claiming the souls of your allies is tradition amongst the gods. This might explain why the Giant Blacksmith could transpose souls in Dark Souls 1, and the behavior of Ornstein and Smough in their boss battle.
Curved sword imbued with the strength of the Stormdrake. The Nameless King, ally of the ancient dragons, fought beside the Stormdrake in countless battles. When the great beast fell, the king claimed his soul, as was the custom in the age of gods.
The Nameless King was also Ornstein’s “lord” more so than Gwyn was, as Ornstein is said to have been his “first knight”. From the Leo Ring:
Ring associated with Dragon Slayer Ornstein, one of the Four Knights of Gwyn, the First Lord. Strengthens thrust weapon counter attacks.Ornstein was the first knight of the sun's eldest born, and his cross spear is said to have pierced scales made of stone.
This is further expanded upon in the description of the Dragonslaver Swordspear, as it was the basis of the cross spear that Ornstein would become famous for later on.
A dragon hunting weapon from the age of the gods. The earliest form of the cross spear, serving as both a sword and a spear. Its owner was the Nameless King, a deific hunter of dragons. The swordspear is imbued with lightning, of which he was the heir.
The last thing to be said about the Nameless King is that Ornstein left Anor Londo to look for him. This is said in the Dragonslayer Helm:
Golden Lion Helm associated with Dragonslayer Ornstein, from the age of gods, and imbued with the strength of lightning. In the dragonless age, this knight, who long guarded the ruined cathedral, left the land in search of the nameless king.
As this was done while Smough was still alive and guarding Anor Londo, this confirms that the Ornstein fought in Dark Souls 1 was naught but an illusion. Smough’s Great Hammer:
Twisted great Hammer associated with Smough, the last knight to remain at his post, guarding the ruined cathedral.Restore HP while attacking, a carryover from Smough's past as an executioner.

SkylineRKR

I am not yet fully convinced of that theory, tbh. The only hint is
"the heir of lightning" bit on the Swordspear's description, which is kind of vague.

He's the hardest, most epic boss. This game is also some kind of a send off.

I think they gave us
Gwyn's first born here. He fights alongside a dragon, and when you kill him you've slain the heir of fire.

neoism

man what the fuuuuuck. im at the end basically last boss nothing to do but level and buy everything...

-_- my god this game seems waay more grindy.. its there another better spot to get good number of souls other than those three fat boys at the top of the roof.. 50-60k a trip seems really low..

im using a refinded drakeblood +10 with crytsal sword with a ar of about 760 and it still seems meh...

also been doing bosses and sunbroin it up but even with that AR it still seems harder than the first time i beat them what gives...

i wanta be lv150 before ng+ with that and getting souls to buy everything it just seems like its gonna take forever.......
😑😓😤

MilkBeard

Yes, I don't doubt that it is "working" but there is something wrong with how it works/who it picks. For example:

I'm level 103 on ps4 and have been for 3 days now, and have had the Darkmoon item on non stop in an area with it active. After the patch last night I was running around killing things about non stop till around 4am. Now of course that doesn't mean it isn't working right, it could just be something I did wrong.

Do you have a weapon that is fully upgraded? Are you embered when you get summoned? Do you have any bosses active in your game? How about your settings? Sorry about the questions, just trying to find out what the difference is.

Level 111, PS4, cross region play enabled. I have +10 weapons (8, to be precise) and I don't think it matters if you are embered or not. I've killed all bosses, including final boss.

Hanging out in boss rooms will turn it off, so be careful of that. I'm not sure what else would affect it. Time of day may be important, i.e. when the most people are online playing the game.

Those 7-8 summons weren't all back to back. There was some time between them. I was starting to get them every 10 minutes or so for a while.

Had the
Darkmoon
covenant equipped for easily a couple of hours and I was never summoned.

What is UP with the damn covenant system in this game?

Meccs

EDIT 2: I might do a fully cindered/Way of the Blue + Dried Finger playthrough just to make the game really interesting this time around. Always using those items to boost the online play.
You won't be able to go through the zones with the Dried Finger though. It spawns too many in. I've tested this. I always ended up with 3 additional people all trying to kill someone, mainly me. Even with Way of the Blue you're most likely outnumbered for most of the time.

Level 111, PS4, cross region play enabled. I have +10 weapons (8, to be precise) and I don't think it matters if you are embered or not.
I'm level 106 I think and just started NG+. Also with +10 weapon and as I said, almost 4 hours now and not one summoning. I'm on PC though.

I've read some people needed to unequip it because they were summoned non stop. I dunno what is wrong but not one summon for me. Not in NG and not in NG+ so far.

man what the fuuuuuck. im at the end basically last boss nothing to do but level and buy everything...

-_- my god this game seems waay more grindy.. its there another better spot to get good number of souls other than those three fat boys at the top of the roof.. 50-60k a trip seems really low..

im using a refinded drakeblood +10 with crytsal sword with a ar of about 760 and it still seems meh...

also been doing bosses and sunbroin it up but even with that AR it still seems harder than the first time i beat them what gives...

i wanta be lv150 before ng+ with that and getting souls to buy everything it just seems like its gonna take forever.......
😑😓😤

SL 150 is super over kill to start NG+

Jinaar

Just completed all the covenants. I actually got all my vertebra shackles (SL 130) in Archdragon Peak invading people. I usually took on 2 people at the same time and found ways to win. Human Dregs after the Pontiff as well, invade invade invade.

Honestly, the covenants turned out to be super fun in the end for me and I am going to continue invading. It's such a blast. In all the other soul games I never invaded like I have in DS3. Really enjoying it.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The dancers twin blades are pretty meh :(

Level 111, PS4, cross region play enabled. I have +10 weapons (8, to be precise) and I don't think it matters if you are embered or not.

Hanging out in boss rooms will turn it off, so be careful of that. I'm not sure what else would affect it. Time of day may be important, i.e. when the most people are online playing the game.

Those 7-8 summons weren't all back to back. There was some time between them. I was starting to get them every 10 minutes or so for a while.

Thanks for the response. I didn't think being embered mattered either, just it's something that I've always been so put it out there as a possible difference. Got me. Guess I'll level a little bit more and level some more weapons? Idk. Thought it could also be because I'm in a dead world, but it seems like you are in the same.

Just completed all the covenants. I actually got all my vertebra shackles (SL 130) in Archdragon Peak invading people. I usually took on 2 people at the same time and found ways to win. Human Dregs after the Pontiff as well, invade invade invade.

Honestly, the covenants turned out to be super fun in the end for me and I am going to continue invading. It's such a blast. In all the other soul games I never invaded like I have in DS3. Really enjoying it.

Invading is indeed a blast. Giving you the non-cracked red eye orb so early was a great decision

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
i joined the wolf covenant, and got summoned to fight a guy, they had just finished clearing out the
room/fort right before the crystal sage boss
but they must have ran out of estus and i felt so bad when i smacked them right before the fog gate :((((( time to sunbro to make up for it

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the O
ld Demon King
. At this point, whichever way I'm proceeding from here, I'm starting to feel really limited by my trusty old +6 Fire Longsword (148+148). Both when I go into the O
ld King's Antechamber
or into I
rithyll of the Boreal Valley

Prioritizing Str over Dex so far (28/18), and I prefer mid-size weapons (Claymore was my favorite Dark Souls weapon). Any suggestions to what sort of weapon(s) should I try to get my hands on and farm up?

LiK

Beat the O
ld Demon King
. At this point, whichever way I'm proceeding from here, I'm starting to feel really limited by my trusty old +6 Fire Longsword (148+148). Both when I go into the O
ld King's Antechamber
or into I
rithyll of the Boreal Valley

Prioritizing Str over Dex so far (28/18), and I prefer mid-size weapons (Claymore was my favorite Dark Souls weapon). Any suggestions to what sort of weapon(s) should I try to get my hands on and farm up?

Bastard Sword is the best.

LiK

I think they're beyond salvation, would need to get MAJORLY buffed. The skill art is just the worst. Does negligible damage.

that's a shame. she was probably one of the hardest bosses for me. i'd expect the weapon to measure up to the boss.

Floody

Any tips for OPTIONAL BOSS SPOILER
The Nameless King?
he'd be such a pushover if it weren't for the camera.

Halberds or any long weapon that has a good over head swing is very good for the
Dragon
part, especially G
undyr's
Halberd.
Second part is really hard though, unless you get really good at dodging or have a decent shield.

Meccs

Mainly as I can't see where his attacks are coming from as when I get to close the camera has a fit. Will try staying in front and see how that goes.
One thing that might help: if you lock on to HIM for the most part and only his pet if you want to do damage. That should help you evade most of the stuff.

Mafro

No idea what's going on but I'm suddenly not able to summon anyone or be summoned. Can't see any summon signs anywhere either.

Wow
Champion Gundyr
doesn't mess around. That second stage of his fight is tough. From what I can gather I have him and
Nameless King, the dragon area boss and Lord of Cinder
to do. If I beat the last story boss can I do the others? Or will I be forced to do them in NG+

lionpants

Wow
Champion Gundyr
doesn't mess around. That second stage of his fight is tough. From what I can gather I have him and
to do. If I beat the last story boss can I do the others? Or will I be forced to do them in NG+
Game does not force you to NG+.

Tarkus

Does the game give the lore behind Andre of Astora and why he seems to be immortal? Don't tell me details, yay or nay.

Floody

Wow
Champion Gundyr

You aren't forced into NG+, but I did them before beating the final boss, so not 100% sure if some of them lock, I doubt it though, I can go to their boss rooms still.

Roussow

Game's starting to feel a little stale for me, I got up to the Sage with a pure Sorcery build but I stopped as I really wasn't enjoying it. I've got a Dex build going too, but even that I'm not super loving in comparison to my Strength build. I've got a Greatsword wielder right at the start of NG+ (Well actually I was using
Gundyr's
Halberd to mix things up a bit) -- What's an interesting way to supplement this kind of build? add some faith? There a decent Faith/Strength build that's a good time? I picked up pretty much every item I could in my first run, so it would be super easy to transition.

Ricker

Do you guys get what seems to be a glitch,when you come out of a travel,the meter for being cursed or toxic/poisoned etc etc appears for a few seconds on screen...?(PS4)...and I need a freakin Slab altready lol... ;)

LiK

Do you guys get what seems to be a glitch,when you come out of a travel,the meter for being cursed or toxic/poisoned etc etc appears for a few seconds on screen...?(PS4)...and I need a freakin Slab altready lol... ;)

it happens when you're wearing one of those rings that gives you resists to everything. i assume it's a bug.

usp84

I think not many people wear the symbol of the way of blue.I am in NG+++ at SL 190 and i am in the way of the blue.I use the dried finger and getting invaded immediately and soon after a blue phantom always comes

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Just finished my first playthrough! What a great game. On to another round! Cant decide what route to take though. If I start with a pyromancer, is it easy to switch to a sorcerer later in the game? I mean Pyro scales with INT right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom