• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Wait? What? That is stupid.... Is that an old Dark Souls 1 mechanic? I preferred the Dark Souls 2 way of you can still get invaded.

Damn...

I thought it was like this in all souls games? Clearing the boss will remove your ability to summon co op and be invaded for the area. Isn't DS2 the same way? pretty sure it is.

GulAtiCa

I thought it was like this in all souls games? Clearing the boss will remove your ability to summon co op and be invaded for the area. Isn't DS2 the same way?

In DS2, you can't summon for co-op anymore of course (except if there are any more bosses left obviously). But you can still be invaded just fine. What it does is make the area safe from invasions for 30 minutes. It's the same effect as burning a human effigy at a bonfire (can get rid of it at said bonfire too).

It saddens me to know I can't be invaded in areas I've cleared. :/

MilkBeard

Yes! Thank Gwyn above!

No. You could be invaded while hollow as well!

I knew that part, just thought the defeat boss mechanic was still the same for being invaded for the area.

Interesting. I am going to continue my PS4 DS2 playthrough at some point, although at early game there were no invasions or even summon signs at all. I think Soul Memory really hamstrings the game.

I knew that part, just thought the defeat boss mechanic was still the same for being invaded for the area.

Interesting. I am going to continue my PS4 DS2 playthrough at some point, although at early game there were no invasions or even summon signs at all. I think Soul Memory really hamstrings the game.

IIRC, there are no invasions full stop in NG. NG+ is where the real fun happens.

MUnited83

For you.
In DS2, you can't summon for co-op anymore of course (except if there are any more bosses left obviously). But you can still be invaded just fine. What it does is make the area safe from invasions for 30 minutes. It's the same effect as burning a human effigy at a bonfire (can get rid of it at said bonfire too).

It saddens me to know I can't be invaded in areas I've cleared. :/

You can summon co-op still too actually.

MilkBeard

IIRC, there are no invasions full stop in NG. NG+ is where the real fun happens.

Pretty sure there are, but the way the game is designed, the invasions don't really start until later in the game.

And yeah, everyone at this point is probably in NG+. If what I remember is correct, doesn't NG+ remove the Soul Memory limitation? So you can be invaded by anyone in NG+ at that point who is already in NG+. Sounds like the 'real' PVP starts there.

Tarkus

Pretty sure there are, but the way the game is designed, the invasions don't really start until later in the game.

And yeah, everyone at this point is probably in NG+. If what I remember is correct, doesn't NG+ remove the Soul Memory limitation? So you can be invaded by anyone in NG+ at that point who is already in NG+. Sounds like the 'real' PVP starts there.
That's all wrong. I've invaded plenty of people with new builds in the forest and tower of flame.

Soul memory is always a factor unless you're in the arenas, then it's SL that dictates matchmaking.

Sarcasm

So guys I went into a boss room and some message about a dark spirit guiando (or w/e) was returning home.

I was never informed that a dark spirit even entered my world, unless it happened to happen right when I went through the fog wall lol.

MilkBeard

That's all wrong. I've invaded plenty of people with new builds in the forest and tower of flame.

Soul memory is always a factor unless you're in the arenas, then it's SL that dictates matchmaking.

It's been a while since my first playthrough of the game, I was remembering statements from people making estimated guesses before all the mechanics were exactly known.

Still, early invasions are not really much of a thing.

TitusTroy

Champion Gundyr
really is the death of me in this game...I'm in my 2nd run as a DEX character and just like my 1st run with a STR character he's crazy difficult...his 1st phase is easy but his 2nd phase is crazy...I can parry him but his shoulder bumps throw me off and I always mistime it thinking it's a Halberd swing...the most I ever got him down to was around 40% health...he's way too aggressive and it's hard to even heal without him hitting me...I've never felt so hopeless against any boss in a Souls game like this...I'm thinking about finishing the game and getting all my main stats to 40 before trying him again

MilkBeard

Champion Gundyr
really is the death of me in this game...I'm in my 2nd run as a DEX character and just like my 1st run with a STR character he's crazy difficult...his 1st phase is easy but his 2nd phase is crazy...I can parry him but his shoulder bumps throw me off and I always mistime it thinking it's a Halberd swing...the most I ever got him down to was around 40% health...he's way too aggressive and it's hard to even heal without him hitting me...I've never felt so hopeless against any boss in a Souls game like this...I'm thinking about finishing the game and getting all my main stats to 40 before trying him again

Try practicing parries. Apparently this boss you can parry quite a bit. Get a small round shield.

MrHoot

Honestly the more i'm playing with other builds the less i'm feeling it. Tried some fast dex/parry builds, heavy weapons build, etc. I just don't have as much fun replaying this game. It's not that other builds are unviable but for me they seem to have only drawbacks and no advantage to the usual sword and board. The absence of poise for heavy armor as well as the stupid amount of enemies with super armor on attacks so that you just get punished all the fucking time even with most heavy weapons. Add the linearity and this is my least favourite souls game to replay really, feels like a chore

Is there any way to get a Seed of a Giant Tree other than one dropping after an invasion? I stupidly used the one that I had gotten and need one to trade to the crow. Killed all the bosses and don't want to move to NG+.

TitusTroy

Try practicing parries. Apparently this boss you can parry quite a bit. Get a small round shield.

I can easily parry his 1st phase but in the 2nd phase it's hard to tell when he's going to do a sword swing and when he does that stupid shoulder bump move which throws off my parry...and getting hit even once does crazy damage or leaves me stunned

Alright I beat the game. yay.

Final boss actually didn't suck this time. When the piano kicked in on the second phase I got goosebumps.

Ending was as god awful as always though. Sit at the fire. Game over. Credits. I know there are probably multiple endings but how about you just make one good ending that doesnt suck balls

SDR-UK

Platinum achieved! Those Proof of Concords drop rates are insane but I finally managed it.

That said, anyone need anything? I would be happy to help out.

Momentary

Banned
I've been trying to invade and get invaded for the last 2 hours on PC... and have only gotten matched up once. Is this normal?

Edit: Just alt tabbed back into the game and their a god damn triple team waiting for me. This has happened 6 times in a row. It's not even fun anymore.

MilkBeard

Honestly the more i'm playing with other builds the less i'm feeling it. Tried some fast dex/parry builds, heavy weapons build, etc. I just don't have as much fun replaying this game. It's not that other builds are unviable but for me they seem to have only drawbacks and no advantage to the usual sword and board. The absence of poise for heavy armor as well as the stupid amount of enemies with super armor on attacks so that you just get punished all the fucking time even with most heavy weapons. Add the linearity and this is my least favourite souls game to replay really, feels like a chore

While the game is a bit more of a straight shot, I don't feel it is quite as 'linear' as people are saying.

For example, you can do Lothric Castle before the 2nd boss. You can interchange the order of Farron Keep and Cathedral of the Deep and in fact the Catacombs as well, once you beat Farron Keep's boss. Once you cross into Irithyl you can do Anor Londo and Irythil Dungeon>Profaned Capital in a different order. Once you get to Irithyl Dungeon you can do Dragon Peak at any time. Once you cross into the King's Garden you then have another optional area that you can do at any time.

I understand that it's not quite as 'interconnected' as Dark Souls, and DS2 feels more non-linear because of its 'spoke' nature. But really, DS1 locked you out of Anor Londo and the final part in the game in a similar manner. DS2 has a couple of clear paths that you progress linearly until their end without much interconnections, and the game lets you do these in a certain order but locks off the late game much like DS1 and DS3. There are some neat interconnections in DS3 that go to waste because of the instant travel. For example, unlocking the door near the bonfire that is near the Farron Keep boss leads back to Crucifixion woods. This is a great shortcut, however it can't really be utilized properly because instant travel renders these types of connections nearly useless, unless it leads to an area that hasn't been explored yet.

But anyway, that's just how I feel about the game in comparison to the others. There are a lot of small branching paths within each area despite the main focus of one area progressing to another.

I think if we want to get back to the great level design of early DS1, we need to do away with instant fast travel from bonfires. The early game of DS1 was designed around having to actually walk to all the locations so they were all built to interconnect with relative ease. I would actually like it if From uses this system again, that they make fast travel a late-game feature and not from right at the start.

I've been trying to invade and get invaded for the last 2 hours on PC... and have only gotten matched up once. Is this normal?

Edit: Just alt tabbed back into the game and their a god damn triple team waiting for me. This has happened 6 times in a row. It's not even fun anymore.

Its not normal. You should be able to get an invasion within a few mins at max.

I think if we want to get back to the great level design of early DS1, we need to do away with instant fast travel from bonfires. The early game of DS1 was designed around having to actually walk to all the locations so they were all built to interconnect with relative ease. I would actually like it if From uses this system again, that they make fast travel a late-game feature and not from right at the start.

This is something that I've talked about before. It's what people don't realize when they make claims like "you don't have to use it" or "it doesn't effect you" when talking about things that change a games design. Not being able to teleport bonfire to bonfire means that the game has to be designed a different way for it to be playable, a way that I really enjoyed. In the same way as not having way markers or maps. Sure, you can turn those things off, but unless the game was made with not using them in mind it will not be a good experience.

MrHoot

While the game is a bit more of a straight shot, I don't feel it is quite as 'linear' as people are saying.

For example, you can do Lothric Castle before the 2nd boss. You can interchange the order of Farron Keep and Cathedral of the Deep and in fact the Catacombs as well, once you beat Farron Keep's boss. Once you cross into Irithyl you can do Anor Londo and Irythil Dungeon>Profaned Capital in a different order. Once you get to Irithyl Dungeon you can do Dragon Peak at any time. Once you cross into the King's Garden you then have another optional area that you can do at any time.

I understand that it's not quite as 'interconnected' as Dark Souls, and DS2 feels more non-linear because of its 'spoke' nature. But really, DS1 locked you out of Anor Londo and the final part in the game in a similar manner. DS2 has a couple of clear paths that you progress linearly until their end without much interconnections, and the game lets you do these in a certain order but locks off the late game much like DS1 and DS3.

But anyway, that's just how I feel about the game in comparison to the others. There are a lot of small branching paths within each area despite the main focus of one area progressing to another.

I know about these but honestly the game also seem to punish quite a bit sometimes when it comes for instance to NPC questline. First time i played I endep up doing Farron first and go through Carthus and up to irythil entrance before realizing i had to go do cathedral. Problem is by that point I botched a shitload of NPC sidequests and looking them up, the game almost encourages you to go cathedral first if you want to complete certain stuff and get certain items. Lothric Castle is more recommended honestly once for NG+ as it's brutally hard in NG since it's like the penultimate zones before the last one, but yeah at least it's there. Truely tho I feel the only choice I get is when I can go to either Anor Londo or Profaned. Until Irythil I feel being funneled through, with yeah some side steps but ah...I guess i'm just grumpy now

I dunno if the lack of fast travel would change but yeah it'd probably impact a lot more decisions early game as to where to go. I dunno, I just needed to vent

wheeplash

Rushing to A.L at SL35 for some stealth bombing action, also just because I want the Darkmoon cov to work.

I'm pissed to the point that I'll start being a dick to everyone in-game, fucking hell.

MilkBeard

I know about these but honestly the game also seem to punish quite a bit sometimes when it comes for instance to NPC questline. First time i played I endep up doing Farron first and go through Carthus and up to irythil entrance before realizing i had to go do cathedral. Problem is by that point I botched a shitload of NPC sidequests and looking them up, the game almost encourages you to go cathedral first if you want to complete certain stuff and get certain items. Lothric Castle is more recommended honestly once for NG+ as it's brutally hard in NG since it's like the penultimate zones before the last one, but yeah at least it's there. Truely tho I feel the only choice I get is when I can go to either Anor Londo or Profaned. Until Irythil I feel being funneled through, with yeah some side steps but ah...I guess i'm just grumpy now

I dunno if the lack of fast travel would change but yeah it'd probably impact a lot more decisions early game as to where to go. I dunno, I just needed to vent

It's hard to say about NPC questlines, as different questlines require different paths. Seigward's questline isn't affected by Farron/Cathedral swap. Anri's isn't either, as long as you don't beat Wolnir before doing it. Also, I forgot to mention that Smoldering Lake is another optional branch that can be done once you get to Wolnir, which can be done before Cathedral. You don't see Siegward until Irithyl so his questline is safe. I think the only thing this messes up is Hawkwood's if you don't talk to him properly at the right times. I messed his questline up in the early game and he gets locked out of later advancements. I think that is simply because I didn't talk to him right after the Farron Keep boss, though.

But yeah, I hope if From uses the bonfire/lamp system again, that they try to go for a DS1 style where everything connects so you don't even need bonfire warping. But it's hard to say they will actually do that system again.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, i'm about halfway through NG+ and i'm level 102 or something, and honestly, i really doesnt feel that much harder than NG (maybe i change my mind about that when i get to the later bosses though).

I'm at the catacombs and it's pretty meh. I feel like I'm just playing an easier version of my first game actually. I remember Demon's Souls NG+ being hard as fuck.

Panda Rin

Man, went back to playing Bloodborne after playing through Dks3 on PC. It was rough. Felt really sluggish in comparison. What I would do to experience Bloodborne on PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom