• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if the patch increased the drop rate of Proofs from silver knights? Wondering if I should waste any more hours farming. Still zero Darkmoon summons today.

J3ffro

I know there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of "should I play this game" questions, but mine is slightly complicated.

I played an hour of Demon's Souls years ago after getting it on PS+, and my only other experience with From is Bloodborne, which I finished and enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely elevated my heart rate numerous times, though in a way I was very glad to be done with it.

It sounds like Dark Souls 3 is a good place to jump in. Most impressions sound overwhelmingly positive. My questions is, if I started here, would I be doing myself a disservice because 1 & 2 are lesser games and playing them after 3 would be a step backward? I like the idea of picking up 1 and playing it on the Xbone, and working through 2 before starting 3, but I have to be realistic. I'm married with a 2 year old, and 60,000 words into the second draft of my novel, so I don't have much gaming time. Knowing that these aren't small games, I'm looking at the better part of a hundred hours before jumping into 3. Should I plan on being a series tourist, play through 3 and move on, or are the rabid crazies for this series the ones on the right side of history, and Dark Souls is all I'm playing for the next 6 months?

Neither option seems all that bad. :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I know there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of "should I play this game" questions, but mine is slightly complicated.

I played an hour of Demon's Souls years ago after getting it on PS+, and my only other experience with From is Bloodborne, which I finished and enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely elevated my heart rate numerous times, though in a way I was very glad to be done with it.

It sounds like Dark Souls 3 is a good place to jump in. Most impressions sound overwhelmingly positive. My questions is, if I started here, would I be doing myself a disservice because 1 & 2 are lesser games and playing them after 3 would be a step backward? I like the idea of picking up 1 and playing it on the Xbone, and working through 2 before starting 3, but I have to be realistic. I'm married with a 2 year old, and 60,000 words into the second draft of my novel, so I don't have much gaming time. Knowing that these aren't small games, I'm looking at the better part of a hundred hours before jumping into 3. Should I plan on being a series tourist, play through 3 and move on, or are the rabid crazies for this series the ones on the right side of history, and Dark Souls is all I'm playing for the next 6 months?

Neither option seems all that bad. :)

Dark Souls 3 leans super heavily on nostalgia for DS1, honestly I wouldn't recommend playing it without having played through DS1 first.

LogicStep

Do I need all rings and spells in one character to get the achievement? Or across different characters counts as well? I think I might have missed a few things..

Floody

Playing 1 before 3 would probably be enough, it takes almost nothing from 2, but honestly, I'd just start with 3, playing through them one after another will most likely just burn you out, and it'll be a very long time before you get to 3 with such limited time.

LiK

Crap. I didn't buy the Saint's Ring off
Carim
and now I can't find her anywhere. I'm going to have to star a new character to work on the plat aren't I?

you can do it in NG+. you'll need to anyway cuz you'll need rings that only appear in NG+ and NG++ for the cheevo.

Meccs

Start with DS3. Everything can be enjoyed without having played the other games. Story is confusing either way and not Dark Souls strongest part.

Floody

What's a good level to go into NG+? Currently SL100, but I'm going to grind enough souls to buy all equipment and spells before going through, will probably level up a bit if too low.

You will steam roll pretty much the first few zones/bosses with SL100+
Thanks!

Meccs

What's a good level to go into NG+? Currently SL100, but I'm going to grind enough souls to but all equipment and spells before going through, will probably level up a bit if too low.
You will steam roll pretty much the first few zones/bosses with SL100+

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, i'm about halfway through NG+ and i'm level 102 or something, and honestly, i really doesnt feel that much harder than NG (maybe i change my mind about that when i get to the later bosses though).

zewone

What's a good level to go into NG+? Currently SL100, but I'm going to grind enough souls to buy all equipment and spells before going through, will probably level up a bit if too low.

Thanks!

100 is fine. I did NG+ around there and stopped at 120 and did NG++.

J3ffro

Dark Souls 3 leans super heavily on nostalgia for DS1, honestly I wouldn't recommend playing it without having played through DS1 first.

Playing 1 before 3 would probably be enough, it takes almost nothing from 2, but honestly, I'd just start with 3, playing through them one after another will most likely just burn you out, and it'll be a very long time before you get to 3 with such limited time.

Start with DS3. Everything can be enjoyed without having played the other games. Story is confusing either way and not Dark Souls strongest part.

Thanks folks, I appreciate the input.

MilkBeard

I'm pretty close to platinuming Dark Souls 3. I have all the rings of NG and the harder ending. Since this game forces you to play through three times, I'll probably not save-scum the next playthrough and just try each ending.

After this I'll probably go back to Bloodborne because I'm really close to platinuming that as well. I have one more ending and some later Chalice Dungeon stuff. I stopped because I advanced past a certain chalice, and I had to do a lot of extra shit just to get back to an earlier chalice to get to a point that I can progress. I kind of lost the spirit after that.

MilkBeard

Thanks folks, I appreciate the input.

You are in a unique postion. You can definitely start 3 and play it perfectly fine. All the story related stuff is through lore and item description, so it may not even be relevant for you. However, there are some callbacks to DS1.

You could either start with DS1 and then play DS3 to understand the bond, OR you could play DS3 first and then go back to DS1 and have the 'aha!' moment while playing the first. I think either way is fine.

DS3 has the best combat in the Souls series though (not counting Bloodborne).

zewone

I think playing 3 first will make it harder to appreciate the older titles, but other than that, you'll likely just miss all the nostalgia they poured into DS3. It's almost too much fan service and not enough new content.

neoism

Halberds or any long weapon that has a good over head swing is very good for the
Dragon
part, especially G
undyr's
Halberd.
Second part is really hard though, unless you get really good at dodging or have a decent shield.

so guys whats the gaf passcode? like most of you guys use...

ViciousDS

Banned
Installs update

Permanent "just getting your game ready"

Error

Fuck....now I have to download the game again. This shit gets so annoying. Why the hell can't we just delete updates, it would make my life so much easier when shit doesn't install correctly

J3ffro

You are in a unique postion. You can definitely start 3 and play it perfectly fine. All the story related stuff is through lore and item description, so it may not even be relevant for you. However, there are some callbacks to DS1.

You could either start with DS1 and then play DS3 to understand the bond, OR you could play DS3 first and then go back to DS1 and have the 'aha!' moment while playing the first. I think either way is fine.

DS3 has the best combat in the Souls series though (not counting Bloodborne).

That was exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks.

dmEbYgC.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
I think playing 3 first will make it harder to appreciate the older titles, but other than that, you'll likely just miss all the nostalgia they poured into DS3. It's almost too much fan service and not enough new content.
Besides
Anor Londo
, is there any older content in the game? There is of course stuff like NPCs
Patches and Siegward
, but i dont think that takes anything away from the game.

LogicStep

Damn what about Ring of the Evil Eye? It's a quest reward that I'm pretty sure I can't do now. Can I do the quest in NG+ to get the base ring and the +1 in the same run?

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn what about Ring of the Evil Eye? It's a quest reward that I'm pretty sure I can't do now. Can I do the quest in NG+ to get the base ring and the +1 in the same run?
Yes. I think that all the + rings are items located in the world, not tied up to NPC quests.

Installs update

Permanent "just getting your game ready"

Error

Fuck....now I have to download the game again. This shit gets so annoying. Why the hell can't we just delete updates, it would make my life so much easier when shit doesn't install correctly

Signing out and back in (or restarting the console) always fixes this for me, including after today's update.

C
onsumed King
is weird. It's a like a Bloodborne boss that accidentally made it into DkS. Have no idea when it's safe to attack at all, and I use a fast weapon. Can't imagine what heavy weapon users are going through

KLoWn

C
onsumed King
is weird. It's a like a Bloodborne boss that accidentally made it into DkS. Have no idea when it's safe to attack at all, and I use a fast weapon. Can't imagine what heavy weapon users are going through
The first thing I thought of when he entered phase 2 was Bloodstarved Beast.

mulac

Taking my time with this - 20hrs in and just made it to
Profaned Capital
where the difficulty appears to have ramped up to Ludicrous Speed.

Keep getting demolished by those
hand-grabby-one-eyed-things
that swarm me even when I dodge, duck, dip and dodge away.

Definitely not enjoying this section as much as the others especially after the beautiful and downright FUN of
Anor Londo.

Still got no idea on the plot or story aside from the Lords of Cinder spiel and i'm fairly certain I've screwed up 99% of the quest lines as I haven't met any new NPCs, am
99'd hollowed
(can't afford to remove the Dark Sigil yet) and Firelink Shrine doesn't seem to change much. Given how much I want this Platinum figure I've got at least NG and NG+ ahead of me to achieve that (hello walk-through).

In-case anyone cares, I've made it this far still rocking the Fallen Knight set, am playing a strength build with Strength at 50, Endurance at 30 and Dex at 20 with Vigor only at 40. The Butchers Knife remains my weapon of choice having it at +6 and it helped demolish the Jailers (who can also royally fuck off) in the Dungeons.

I keep waiting for that Bloodborne moment
where the entire world shifts perspective
but I guess it wont come given the nature of DS.

Still loving it, but I need to go play a happy game to rejuvenate myself...maybe a few rounds of CS:GO.

Do you guys get what seems to be a glitch,when you come out of a travel,the meter for being cursed or toxic/poisoned etc etc appears for a few seconds on screen...?(PS4)...and I need a freakin Slab altready lol... ;)

Using the Dragon Torso build them up to almost half.

Game's starting to feel a little stale for me, I got up to the Sage with a pure Sorcery build but I stopped as I really wasn't enjoying it. I've got a Dex build going too, but even that I'm not super loving in comparison to my Strength build. I've got a Greatsword wielder right at the start of NG+ (Well actually I was using
Gundyr's
Halberd to mix things up a bit) -- What's an interesting way to supplement this kind of build? add some faith? There a decent Faith/Strength build that's a good time? I picked up pretty much every item I could in my first run, so it would be super easy to transition.

I got bored with my Luck/Faith build using
Anri's
Straight Sword + Lightning Blade. Yeah, up to 800 AR is nice but the moveset is so damn boring and I'm pretty much married to that sword with that build. Went back to my DEX/STR build cuz being able to use a variety of weapons and shields is much better.

C
onsumed King

The dude has HUGE cooldowns after all his attacks and is very easy to dodge. Heavy weapons wreck him.
I use the Nameless King's swordspear and almost exclusively hit him with the lightning strike with impunity.

lionpants

what level and what locations are you in?
82, just before the
Princes
. But, just after I posted, I have not been summoned at all. I swear there's a bug that gets you stuck in a state that stops you from being summoned. Last night, the same thing happened - I was getting summoned - and then not at all.

GulAtiCa

Does anyone know if there are any conditions where the Aldrich Faithful stop invading you? Maybe if you clear the area's boss? Evening using the Dried Finger has resulted in no invasions. Only lv 75. Was getting invasions at lv 65. hmm

MilkBeard

Does anyone know if there are any conditions where the Aldrich Faithful stop invading you? Maybe if you clear the area's boss? Evening using the Dried Finger has resulted in no invasions. Only lv 75. Was getting invasions at lv 65. hmm

Clearing the boss stops you from getting invaded in any area. Even the scripted NPC invasions will be lost. You can still duel though, and if you invade in that area you will doubtless see some Aldritch Faithful.

Spent the night helping people with the last boss. It's amazing to see how many of them have clearly never attempted the boss solo in the first place and/or being a completely greedy idiot. There was one time one dude summoned me with 2 others,
then during boss' the explosion when transforming to 2nd phase, everybody backed up, just to see the host keep slashing away at the boss with 1/3 left
. We could just watch him got blown to death in despair.

Then another time, the host somehow managed to used up all his estus, had a tiny bit of health left, he backed up so I was killing the boss myself, literally 2 hits away when he suddenly jumped in, got crushed immediately. ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom