• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDR-UK

Tears of Denial PvP gets you the best hate mail.

Code:
02:07 - [B]he: nice hacks dude[/B]
02:07 - me: ?
02:07 - me: thats tears of denial
02:07 - me: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Tears+of+Denial
02:07 - [B]he: thats what every hacker say[/B]

Tears of Salt.

Seriously, the Souls community is amazing(?) for the hate mail and stuff, it gets ridiculous.

MilkBeard

Just rented this game as my first souls game. All I have to say is FUCK THIS GAME. lol. I couldn't get past first boss after 2 hours trying. Don't see why people like this. Games are meant to be fun not frustrating in my opinion. Ain't nobody got time for that. Enjoy mates but I ain't touching a souls game again. Shudder.

Edit:
Ok so managed to get first boss to turn into that rat thingy that oozes after 2 hours. And I'll consider this my accomplishment. Time to delete this game off my hard drive haha.
Probably better that you quit, the first boss is the easiest in the game. I see that you'd rather quit in anger instead of looking at the game's mechanics clearly to see a pattern to fighting.

Guys there is a dark moon event going on right now for all platforms.

Night of the Darkmoons

Also learned hosts getting to the boss gives blue bros the reward, also get a double reward for killing Aldrich faithful just like Red bros get a forked tongue for killing blues.

Get out there and take advantage of the pvp frenzy!

Well if I don't get summoned for this I think it proves that there is something wrong.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Just rented this game as my first souls game. All I have to say is FUCK THIS GAME. lol. I couldn't get past first boss after 2 hours trying. Don't see why people like this. Games are meant to be fun not frustrating in my opinion. Ain't nobody got time for that. Enjoy mates but I ain't touching a souls game again. Shudder.

Edit:
Ok so managed to get first boss to turn into that rat thingy that oozes after 2 hours. And I'll consider this my accomplishment. Time to delete this game off my hard drive haha.

"Iudex" is Latin for "judge", so Gundyr is there to literally test your abilities. I don't mean to sound rude, but you clearly don't have what it takes to make it in a Dark Souls game. And I'm not just talking about dexterity with your fingers and perfect timing of your actions, but especially about patience. Patience is key in these games. It may take you 2, 4 or 12 hours to beat a boss that has suddenly become a massive wall in your path.

Don't worry, you're not alone and not every game has to be for everyone. But he's the tutorial boss, so that should be proof enough :p

zma1013

Edit:

For most people on their first Souls game, it all really comes down to expectations of what the game is and isn't. There is an adjustment period usually, a retraining of the brain to change your thought process of how you approach the game.

After you come to terms with what the game is asking of you, it will become more clear and frustration will turn into determination and success. It just takes careful observation, patience, and practice above all else

Approach everything as if it were a puzzle to solve. The boss has clear openings for you to find that are safe to attack. Find these openings, don't go combo crazy, and smack him then immediately go back on the defensive until you find the next opening.

thatJohann

"Iudex" is Latin for "judge", so Gundyr is there to literally test your abilities. I don't mean to sound rude, but you clearly don't have what it takes to make it in a Dark Souls game. And I'm not just talking about dexterity with your fingers and perfect timing of your actions, but especially about patience. Patience is key in these games. It may take you 2, 4 or 12 hours to beat a boss that has suddenly become a massive wall in your path.

Don't worry, you're not alone and not every game has to be for everyone. But he's the tutorial boss, so that should be proof enough :p

You ain't kiddin! For sure. Mad respect to those good souls players. Wish I was one of them but I am not. I can tell game is amazing when people have the patience to play it but I just get frustrated too quickly and I don't have the time to learn the mechanics. Wish it had an easy mode! *hides behind rock*

TitusTroy

Champion Gundyr
is seriously hard...his 1st phase is easy but phase 2 is unreasonable...he's way too aggressive, has a bunch of combos which is hard to time and he leaps over huge distances making it hard to heal...

zma1013

Champion Gundyr
is seriously hard...his 1st phase is easy but phase 2 is unreasonable...he's way too aggressive, has a bunch of combos which is hard to time and he leaps over huge distances making it hard to heal...

Maybe try baiting his leap so you can punish it. Easy enough to dodge that one.

You ain't kiddin! For sure. Mad respect to those good souls players. Wish I was one of them but I am not. I can tell game is amazing when people have the patience to play it but I just get frustrated too quickly and I don't have the time to learn the mechanics. Wish it had an easy mode! *hides behind rock*

You'll get easy mode after you beat Iudex Gundyr and get the ability to coop with other players, at least.

Maybe the same jackass who did this to me last night. I refused to go look for him, so he finally tried to sneak up on me.

Nearly had him killed, he fell off the ledge and got saved by a roof with a sliver of health, so he ran off and hid again. Used the seed thing for enemies to attack him, then he eventually came back and I killed him in about five hits. Felt good. :D

Something very similar happened to me last night when I invaded the archives, but the host was nowhere to be found. All the enemies including the witch were alive, and none of the shortcuts were open, leaving me stuck beyond the bonfire. When I managed to get out and reach the bonfire, there was nobody there. Eventually I closed the app myself, but I have no clue where the host or any other phantom might have been.

MilkBeard

Trick: throw firebombs at it in its second mode. Use the shield to block hits, roll also has invincibility frames, so try rolling through the attacks. Take a few hits, back off, and watch his movements. If you pay attention to the timing of his attacks and yours, you will be able to pull through.

Fbh

Old D
emon king
is the first boss so far that just feels fucking cheap.

100% of the challenge from this fight comes from the fact that as soon as you get close to him the lock on stops working and the camera goes crazy.
I've died like 5 times so far and it's allways the same. Evade his attack, move in and hit him, get hit because for the next 5 seconds I can't see shit.

A shame because if it wasn't for that it would be a great fight. And I won't take "you aren't supposed to stay close" excuses. That type of boss fight is made with a boss moveset that doesn't let you stay close, not by making the camera stop working

MilkBeard

Old D
emon king

100% of the challenge from this fight comes from the fact that as soon as you get close to him the lock on stops working and the camera goes crazy.
I've died like 5 times so far and it's allways the same. Evade his attack, move in and hit him, get hit because for the next 5 seconds I can't see shit.

A shame because if it wasn't for that it would be a great fight. And I won't take "you aren't supposed to stay close" excuses. That type of boss fight is made with a boss moveset that doesn't let you stay close, not by making the camera stop working
I never had those problems. Try switching between lock and unlock. Don't stay in front because you will get stuck around his weapon. He really wasn't that hard for me. You should learn how to control without locking, it will help.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Old D
emon king

Try not to depend so much on the lock-on. It's not as reliable as I would like it to be. If we're talking about erratic camera behavior, there are some bigger and worse bosses down the line... Anything taller than the screen or anything that likes to jump around and over you will be a pain in the ass.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Old D
emon king

I find if you keep your movements rhythmic then the camera is a lot more manageable too. If you're moving all over the place there's a lot of opportunity for lock on to fuck you over. For him, I like strafing to the right because you'll get caught on his weapon if you strafe to the left.

Old D
emon king

Do not use lock on. Honestly lock on has caused issues with a number of bosses in this series.

zma1013

Old D
emon king

I have to say he is pretty easy though if you don't stay close. Sometimes that is just the superior strategy for these things. If you think the camera is screwy on him, well i have news for you, there is something 100 times worse you will face later and in that, it is very difficult to actually get away from the camera failings. At least the thing you're on moves like an old man with a cane so you can easily keep distance.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
If you played with spells before maybe try going full melee or melee/bows? I'd go all out dex or quality.

Katanas are bleed weapons so dex/bleed would work well. That is some investment in luck.

Is there a softcap to Luck? Like a 40 cutoff or is it different like Int?

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member

The learning curve is pretty high for first time folks, especially the bosses. I was in your shoes at one point, but gave Dark Souls 2 another try and I fell in love. I got Platinum in Bloodborne, and now I'm on my 2nd play through in DS3.

Give it another chance in the future and you might be surprised.

Audioboxer

Wait so katanas inflict bleed more if you have high luck?
Im almost an exclusive katana user.
Time to dump my remaining lvls into luck

All bleed weapons do. Check the bleed number on the equipment screen. It might be around 34 just now but will creep up. Not drastically, but maybe 38 after some investment. It helps a fair bit though.

gaugebozo

What's the dealio with this
ghost
I'm seeing in
Boreal Valley?

vXGj2GU.jpg

Walks a few steps and then disappears. Wut.
You know what? I saw them too. Multiple white ghosts that looked like pontiff Knights walk away from the cathedral and then disappear. I just realized after looking at your picture, they look like the black Knight ghosts that walk through the area between the lordvessel and the kiln in Dark Souls 1. I wonder if they're related?

mulac

Grabbed a few hours this morning while my wife went off horseriding.

Got to
Yhorm The Giant
and after a couple of deaths (Black Knight Sword+2 doing zero damage); figured out to
use that shiny gift behind him
...WOW. Utterly destroyed in like 3 hits.

So i'm feeling pretty good with myself and think "ok that will do it for this round...

...ooh a cutscene...wait...wait...WHAT?? WHAT THE F--...NOOOO <dies to Dancer of the Boreal Valley>"

Damn I love this game. Couple more tries and
Dancer is down
. But still...what a surprise and immediate rush of adrenaline.

Although I'm a bit worried that i've now got all the
lords of cinder except Good King Lothric
so does that mean I'm nearly done?

MilkBeard

You know what? I saw them too. Multiple white ghosts that looked like pontiff Knights walk away from the cathedral and then disappear. I just realized after looking at your picture, they look like the black Knight ghosts that walk through the area between the lordvessel and the kiln in Dark Souls 1. I wonder if they're related?

They are Outrider Knights. You pointing out them 'walking away' from the Cathedral made me realize something:
I assume they are possibly deserters, as Pontiff was an egotistical bastard who probably went against the code. At least, that is the impression I get from Yorshka's dialogue and other item descriptions.

Not positive about that, though. It will be interesting to see what EpicnameBro comes up with when he gets to that point, with his knowledge of lore and the way he carefully puts things together.

EDIT: Actually it seems that they are just Outrider Knights walking the path of exile. Although, I wonder what the significance of their ghosts being there. There must be some deeper lore connection than that.

MilkBeard

You can have two hollowed weapons in each hand and the +5 bonuses will stack.

Yup, your weapon has to be fully upgraded though to ge the +5. It's a pretty need little bonus.

In the new VaatiVidya video, he says that it is tied to your hollowing stat as well: if you are hollowed, then you will get the bonus. If not, then you won't. I haven't confirmed this for myself, although it seems logical.

Floody

I need a tutorial on how to not be hit by thrust attacks. I'm pretty sure I have a 95% failure rate against them.

I'm quite shit at dodging them too, but I had some success dodging at a diagonal angle towards them, usually ending behind the enemy.

KLoWn

I got the
Lord of Hollows
ending and I read the Yuria of Londor's "Black Set" is supposed to be laying where she stands in the Firelink Shrine after you return there after the credits, but it's not. So anyone know what's up with this? I really want that Cainhurst helmet.

Floody

I got the
Lord of Hollows
ending and I read the Yuria of Londor's "Black Set" is supposed to be laying where she stands in the Firelink Shrine after you return there after the credits, but it's not. So anyone know what's up with this? I really want that Cainhurst helmet.

Tried reloading the area?

I got the
Lord of Hollows
Check the old lady, you may be able to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom