• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found my new favorite pasttime. Sit at the bonfire after A
ncient
W
yvern
, equip Way of Blue, pop a Dried Finger and drop a Giant's Seed. Then just sit back and watch invaders get wrecked by both the respawning Drakeblood(or Havel) and Sentinels/Darmoons. I get a decent amount of souls and the Blues get their concords, win/win.

zma1013

Just found my new favorite pasttime. Sit at the bonfire after A
ncient
W
yvern
, equip Way of Blue, pop a Dried Finger and drop a Giant's Seed. Then just sit back and watch invaders get wrecked by both the respawning Drakeblood(or Havel) and Sentinels/Darmoons. I get a decent amount of souls and the Blues get their concords, win/win.

Do enemies still aggro you or do they only attack invaders?

Smidget

Just beat the
Twin Princes.
So at this point I have to do the
Archdragon Peak area
so I don't end the game before I beat all the bosses correct? Before I place the
cinders on the pedestals.

psychotron

Just beat the
Twin Princes.
So at this point I have to do the
Archdragon Peak area
so I don't end the game before I beat all the bosses correct? Before I place the
cinders on the pedestals.

I did that area after I beat the game. You don't have to start NG+.

i did the same, you can also climb up the ladder a bit after you pull one and do a plunging attack to get things going in your favor.

I thought about that too, but didn't really feel the need. The most important part of fighting those things is simply knowing exactly how to dodge each of its attacks.

UrbanRats

Btw that area after the
Pontiff
with the
two crocowerewolves
is the absolute worst. How am I supposed to do that? Even luring one is more or less a deathwish, since you're fighting it in a tiny ass area.

Those are tough even alone, yeah.

What i did was
lure the one on the left first, fought him in front of the ladder (that general area anyway).
Healed up after i killed him.
Lured the other, fought him more or less in the same area.

Was able to defeat them on first try, thankfully, but they're relentless, and have some very creative hit boxes, if you're under them.
Staying on the their side is ideal, if you have a shield, also try with that.

pa22word

I was a level 50 and had Blue sentinels equipped for hours and hours, not one summon. Its dumb.

I read a steam post somewhere saying that the longer you stay in an area without seeing a "loading" screen, the more likely youll get summoned. Not sure if this is confirmed. Either way, the way these covenants work is really dumb.

I'm thoroughly convinced it's bugged. On my 120 character I was playing through Undead Settlement and a summon block happened to block progress through to road of sacrifices, so I sat there and waited to be summoned. Nothing. Sat around for about half an hour and nothing. Happend the exact same way about 4 times. I was clearly in the queue to be summoned, but was getting bugged out. On my dex character who's level 50, I ran around the catacombs for about 2 hours waiting for a summons as that seems like it'd be a peak level for blue sents, and nothing.

I'm at the point now that I'm going to just start invading people and going after blue sents exclusively just to get forked proofs, because at this rate I'm never, ever going to get all 30 of them without grinding.

You're absolutely right . Had a few instances where I died in the third fight (usually in the fight club as a mad phantom you have to defeat 3 phantoms), but the only thing I regretted was not being able to *applaud* the other person. One time we both died on my third fight (didn't get the vertebra tho), but it was so brilliant. For pale tongues I was a bit more calculated and I did all of them early on (like the medals), but I'm sure even after finishing all the mound makers rewards I'll keep coming back for the fight club.

Yep! Same here: I came for the shackles, stayed for the fun. Fight clubs are awesome in this game. Love to see invaders try to come and ruin them only to get ganked by like 5 people, lol.

GulAtiCa

I actually got summoned as a Blade of the Darkmoon! And won. Pretty excited about that actually. 1 less item to grind for.

Was lv 81 in L
othric Castle
- 2nd Bonfire area

Who said the undead don't feel?
57727EF40B744C33CA6E3883E97CBF2372B8AA40

I'm in front of the last bosses fog gate and I really love DS3 but that
2nd stage boss form crap is pissing me off so much.
Who tough this would be a good idea. They didn't do that in the 1St and 2nd game and now you never know for sure what's gonna happen. Imo thats a really bad design decision.

Get'sMad

dang only been able to successfully invade another world like twice in the last 40 minutes or so in the GA tonight. normally I never have to wait more than a couple minutes at most.

the stairs leading up to the TPs is a pretty good spot but that is gank squad central.

Reposting here because I feel like it has some info people need to know about Faith Builds, Chimes and Talismans. I see so many complain about Faith being bad but its not true at all. It takes a bit longer to get up and running than other builds but that's because its the most versatile of the builds.

People who say faith is bad have no idea what they are talking about.

As a faith Hybrid you have so many options.

You can cast spells that buff defenses. On top of that you can cast spells to continually heal you. Or even use the chimes art to heal you which is VERY FP efficient.

Miracle damage is actually VERY good as well. From does not want Faith builds chucking spears from long range anymore. Faith builds already have so many more avenues to success than others.

It even says so in the description of some spells that LIghtning wasnt meant to be thrown from distance but rather up close to pierce the stone scales of dragons. Go test it out.

At 50 faith with Morne's, Sun's Firstborn, Lightning Clutch and a plus 10 Sunlight Talisman I do 791 damage from range with Sunlight Spear on Lothric Castle Bonfire knights.. Right next to them I do over 1300.

You will hear a different sound if the Spears hit up close and the damage will reflect the change.

Not to mention that the Sunlight Talisman doesnt even have the best scaling.

Bet some of you didnt know that Talisman's also grant different poise for their weapon arts. The Sunlight Talisman does less damage overall than the others but the Unfaltering Prayer they can use grants infinite poise. Which means you're meant to get up close and personal with enemies to get that extra damage multiplier when using that talisman. The item description says as much.

Compare with the regular Talisman or Canvas Talisman which both gives only one hit of Poise while using Unfaltering Prayer but do more damage.

The Saint's Talisman has the Unfaltering Prayer weapon art as well but it doesnt work. It does the most damage of all the Talisman's but is balanced by having the weapon art be useless. The item description even states the Weapon Art of the Saint's Talisman is undermined by its frailty.

Then you have Chimes which do even more damage than all the Talismans but don't have the Unfaltering Prayer art. Instead they give you a continuous heal for 13 FP. If you want to stand back and chuck Spears then Chimes are the way to go. But even then the damage they do wont come close to using a Talisman up close because again From doesnt want already highly versatile faith builds being able to stay at range and trivialize the game.

I could understand feeling that getting a faith build up to snuff takes a while but saying they arent good or do "trash" damage is so far from the truth.

That "takes a while" is a vast understatement considering to get the best offensive Miracle you have to best the final boss.

Though the healing is nice, I admit.

knitoe

I'm in front of the last bosses fog gate and I really love DS3 but that
2nd stage boss form crap is pissing me off so much.
Who tough this would be a good idea. They didn't do that in the 1St and 2nd game and now you never know for sure what's gonna happen. Imo thats a really bad design decision.

The bosses having different phases came from Bloodborne. It's not bad when the bosses just add more moves in phase 2, but when they have totally different move set, that's when it's dumb. It as well be fighting two different bosses.

The bosses having different phases came from Bloodborne. It's not bad when the bosses just add more moves in phase 2, but when they have totally different move set, that's when it's dumb. It as well be fighting two different bosses.

Exactly. I don't mind a different move set but having a 2nd boss with their own health bar sucks. I was fighting the final boss, thinking "oh, this one isn't that bad", take some estus sips just to make sure and bam, there's a 2nd boss. That's the 3rd or even 4th time they pulled something like that in this game.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Exactly. I don't mind a different move set but having a 2nd boss with their own health bar sucks. I was fighting the final boss, thinking "oh, this one isn't that bad", take some estus sips just to make sure and bam, there's a 2nd boss. That's the 3rd or even 4th time they pulled something like that in this game.

Bloodborne introduced the two phases thing ( which is awesome! ) but it did not have a fresh health bar pop up for the boss in the second phase. It only triggered it when you lower the health bar to a certain point.

Get'sMad

not every boss has the whole 2nd health bar thing and the ones that do for the 2nd phase the 1st bar usually goes down pretty easily/quickly.

UrbanRats

Bloodborne introduced the two phases thing ( which is awesome! ) but it did not have a fresh health bar pop up for the boss in the second phase. It only triggered it when you lower the health bar to a certain point.

Actually, going as far back as Demon's Souls, Flame Lurker went into rage mode, when you got him about half health.

Anyway, i really love the two phases bosses, even with different move sets, but i agree the two health bars is sort of bollocks.
Though for me is more of a psychological handicap, than a practical one (you could have one bar, but deal half the damage), yet you really feel discouraged when, after a long fight, you see that health bar go all the way up again.

Citadel

Just started an INT Sorcerer build and I'm using a Raw +3 Broadsword to accompany my spells and I'm kicking major ass, surprisingly.

Do my spells automatically get stronger the more I pump points into INT, or do I have to upgrade my staff like a sword?

MilkBeard

Speaking of which, is that fight not considered a boss anymore? I beat him on my dex run yesterday and it didn't even pop up a health bar or music or anything. Just had a regular enemy health bar floating above him (really hard to see too >.>).
Especially weird, because he drops a boss soul.

I was wondering why my character with dual sellswords seemed easier, didn't realize it got buffed in the last patched.

Damn first crash to desktop in about 20 hours playtime :(

Edit and then a few hours later BSOD :((

Geist-

Finally fucking have the Darkmoon Blade. Thank you Gwyn for providing us with the Symbol of Avarice, Crystal Mage's Rapier, Covetous Gold Serpent Ring + 2 and Gold Coins. Now I just need to farm dregs and swordgrass and I'll have completed every achievement in the game. And then the wait for the DLC.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 4 hours into the game and I just barely found the first shortcut elevator back to the first bonfire in High Wall of Lothric. I have to say, this game is not messing around; I did not expect to die as many times in the first level as I did. Maybe it's because I'm playing a Pyromancer and so I have to rely on dodging rather than my armor and shield, which is how I've usually played Dark Souls games in the past. Plus having to allocate 2 of my 5 Estus Flasks to mana means playing extra carefully.

I'll keep slogging through, but I'm done for the night. My brain is fried lol.

After finishing 3 I see it like your third trip to Europe. You see new stuff and have a great time, but it really is just visiting yet another church or castle.

So "best" souls yet in my opinion, but doesn't quite match the highs of 1. Luckily it doesn't have the lows.

+ great regular enemy design
+ performance was relatively solid
+ no really crap areas
+ the first boss fight is incredibly well placed. It helped me out of bloodborne mode.

- the regular game was hard enough but bosses were way too easy. I did feel 2 went too far in encouraging coop, but 3 went too far the other way
- it only took me 30 hours to see it all, but the game is still too long. I'd like to see them drop a few areas in favour of elevating others.
- the menu/inventory system is somehow much worse in this game.
- no real surprises

I'd play the dlc and dark souls 4, but the series is starting to push it. I know to attack chests, I know to check under elevators or attack walls. They really need to go further next time.

But as far as making a by the numbers souls game? They absolutely nailed it and that is still a great thing.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh one question I do have: why is my character's skin turning black? Is this DS3's version of hollowing? And how can I reverse it - is it by killing a boss?

Juraash

Oh one question I do have: why is my character's skin turning black? Is this DS3's version of hollowing? And how can I reverse it - is it by killing a boss?

There is a hollowing mechanic, but getting it requires some special actions on your part and I don't think you're far enough for that. I believe, much like Bloodborne, your characters just gets scuzzy/grimey after a while. I think resting at bonfire or returning to firelink will clean you up.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh interesting. Alright thanks.

Think I know what the hollowing mechanic is - someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. But I guess I'll wait and see.

I still think the coolest little detail I've found in this game is the two dogs in the cave under the bridge in Road of Sacrifices; one of them is pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom