• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Finished my first ever souls game just now. Got damn what a ride.

I feel bad that the other two and demons just didn't connect for me like this one did.

Christ...
Nameless King
took me like 30 tries.......but I downed that fucker. Awesome looking fight. Frustrating as all hell. Toughest in the game for me thus far. Onto the
Grand Archives

Practicing on enemies I found tough before venturing into NG+...

68bDlOT.gif

Is it possible to parry those guys? I feel like that should be impossible, but who knows you can parry Gundyr.

Mephala

Is it possible to parry those guys? I feel like that should be impossible, but who knows you can parry Gundyr.

Yes. I walked back in and parried him pretty much straight after getting booted through the doorway there. I feel like the number of different attacks really makes it harder parry.

Slurmer

Banned
Man can anyone on ps4 help me out with
nameless king?
Shoot me a PM if possible. Getting unable to summon messages literally every time I try in this area.

sn00zer

Feel like Im nearing the end and the game has stopped being fun. There are some very Bloodborne like bosses in terms of speed and movesets and I just feel like the DS mechanics are not as tight or fast as the BB mechanics so I just feel like a slug.

Finished the game today. I did miss a few optional areas and bosses but I think this is a good time to call it in. I'll get back into the whole thing once the DLC drops.

Overall impression of the game is that it's pretty damn great. For all the faults I was finding, the game did end with a great impression on me and I think it's a worthy conclusion to the series. The only thing is, I wish
the standard ending wasn't so barebones. I was hoping for at least an ending narrative cutscene that concludes the series. Maybe the DLC provides closure.

Regarding the final boss, I think it was a pretty well designed boss and I felt I got his pattern down pretty well, but in the end I was losing for dumb reasons too many times and I did have to resort to using a phantom :/ although I can't say the victory wasn't unearned, since the phantom died halfway through
the second form,
which is the furthest I had gotten up to that point, so I still had plenty of fight to finish on my own.

Such a great game. It's too bad I tend to get completely consumed by Souls games which ends up with me having to tear myself away from the game in the end, because part of me does want to go back to the optional areas, but right now I'm just too spent to play more of it. 44 hours in 2.5 weeks is a pretty big chunk of time considering my schedule :p

JBwB

I completely forgot about the path up the ladder to the left of the
Dancer of the Boreal Valley
bonfire so I didn't get to
Archdragon Peak
till after I fought the last boss.

I was level
at the time and I didn't find the
Nameless King
all that difficult. Was I over leveled for that boss?

Styles

The Undead Settlement bonfire seems like a hotspot for the blue phantom summons. I am getting summoned every minute or so. Just got 3 Concords from 1 session. On PC btw. 😀

2AdEPT

Finished the game today. I did miss a few optional areas and bosses but I think this is a good time to call it in. I'll get back into the whole thing once the DLC drops.

Overall impression of the game is that it's pretty damn great. For all the faults I was finding, the game did end with a great impression on me and I think it's a worthy conclusion to the series. The only thing is, I wish
the standard ending wasn't so barebones. I was hoping for at least an ending narrative cutscene that concludes the series. Maybe the DLC provides closure.

Regarding the final boss, I think it was a pretty well designed boss and I felt I got his pattern down pretty well, but in the end I was losing for dumb reasons too many times and I did have to resort to using a phantom :/ although I can't say the victory wasn't unearned, since the phantom died halfway through
the second form,
which is the furthest I had gotten up to that point, so I still had plenty of fight to finish on my own.

Such a great game. It's too bad I tend to get completely consumed by Souls games which ends up with me having to tear myself away from the game in the end, because part of me does want to go back to the optional areas, but right now I'm just too spent to play more of it. 44 hours in 2.5 weeks is a pretty big chunk of time considering my schedule :p

I ve learned to pace myself....as much as it burns me that I move much slower than others and I do get spoiled here and there (sometimes on purpose) my first character had to take a rest before beating the pontiff. I have to learn the attacks to do it right. I cant just learn to parry and raise my stats and beat the pontiff in two parries or summon help just to have him die to ranged magic attacks from the helpers....this is too daunting a task with my schedule so it can sit...I started a new character instead. As demons call backs abound and hyper mode is possible early using the
dancer
skip and
swordsman
glitch, I have been having a ball going through the game backward at low level. This was something I did in Dark souls, as it wasn't possible in demons (or rather going in different orders was build into the game.)

This iteration is just awesome for that aspect and I couldn't be more pleased that I get to go into places I'm not supposed to be yet and going backward through the game blind is absoulutely true souls! Will be posting videos of my hypermode character that I started. I actually started three in case the patch fixed the glitch, but it didnt (at least on PC). and now that gamesave manager finally got ds3 working I can load old saves to do proper videos of certain areas and things I forgot to record. I am having about as much fun with this version as is humanly possible from my perspective EXCEPT for the aspect that too much was redone...they needed a bit better balance between new and old,,,there really is too much of what I liked from before and not enough newness...but it wouldn't be souls without some imperfections and nothing to complain about.

RedSwirl

So whether or not you
say yes or no to the Firekeeper's question after giving her the eyes makes no difference as to the ending unless you take the eyes back?

LiK

So whether or not you
say yes or no to the Firekeeper's question after giving her the eyes makes no difference as to the ending unless you take the eyes back?

correct
you still need one more step to get the ending after giving her eyes tho

GulAtiCa

The Undead Settlement bonfire seems like a hotspot for the blue phantom summons. I am getting summoned every minute or so. Just got 3 Concords from 1 session. On PC btw. 😀
Can only really assume your low level.

If so, makes sense, by time they enter that area, almost all of them will equip the only covenant they found.

Enjoy it while you can, eventually you will start receiving less and less summons. I recommend you get the 60 success items now.

Edit: never mind... I saw your post above

Maybe it will be same for me in that area now that I'm level 90

2AdEPT

I have a question for you parry kings. (I never liked parrying, was bad at it, and therefore tended to try to focus on dodgin attacks and winning that way
)...but I think the time has come to finally get better at parrying..I love the Farron greatsword with its little parry knife, but is this knife a viable parry item? Is the fact I can almost parry nothing with it mean I am still bad at parries or is it not the ideal parry tool?

Summoned NPC permanently die right?

Nope, in fact the whole
dancer
skip and
swordsman
glitch is possible solely because you allow the
swordsman
to die in the boss fight, quit out of the boss fight, then re-summon him to come back and he is
invincible

Styles

Can only really assume your low level.

If so, makes sense, by time they enter that area, almost all of them will equip the only covenant they found.

Enjoy it while you can, eventually you will start receiving less and less summons. I recommend you get the 60 success items now.

Edit: never mind... I saw your post above

Maybe it will be same for me in that area now that I'm level 90

I feel like it comes in bursts. There will be spans of 10 minutes where I get zero summons and then all of a sudden I would one immediate after each session. It's so weird.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
All done. Fire
usurped
. Overall I really enjoyed it. I hit a wall hard with only 25 in Vigor at
Dancer
though. It's clear I needed more than that for the end game. Once I focused on pushing that up things felt a bit better though. It'll be interesting to see what kind of DLC we get. Hopefully there are some details soon.

got platinum a couple of days ago. i hope from puts skill based trophies in their next game and not so much of this collecting nonsense.

still no trophies for beating bosses solo etc.

pa22word

Argh blue sents is the buggiest shit ever.

Sitting at the undead settlement bonfire and been caught in a summon loop for the last 5 mins. It's the same story every time: I sit to wait, and the game bugs out every time I get into the queue.

Just got done with the
Abyss Watchers

I don't know why I had such a hard fucking time with them. Died like 10 times before I was finally able to grind out a victory. Ive always been terrible at managing multiple bosses in these games but even the second phase was a bitch and I'm usually great in duels. Ive been breezing through the game up until this point.

I almost never utilize parrying so maybe that was the key but ive always been shit at doing it. I'm not too worried though because I always hit a wall at some point, even with bosses that are considered easier.

VexyWexy

I don't even trophy/achievement hunt anymore but I felt the need to honor my favorite series by getting the Platinum.

What a ride that was...
Usurper quest is so creepy, loved it
Sirris best NPC sidequest
Nameless King best boss
10/10 Pickle-Pee of the Year

Not even going to try it and get my hopes up. Spent 5 hours earlier at the planed Darkmoon event with no summon at all.

Rizzi

Souls games usually consume me when they release, but with DS3 I'm kind of done after two playthroughs.

I also don't know what to play now. :<

SRTtoZ

Finally beat my 2nd run, this time with a Sorcerer. Clocked in at 23 hours (first run was 32), so a lot quicker but thats to be expected since I knew every area pretty good. Overall I didn't enjoy it as much as my pure STR build but it had its fun moments. Magic definitely needs a buff though, especially casting speed. Some areas of the game make you want to pull out your hair because the enemies are too fast and you just can't react with the slow ass casting speed. I dinged 60 INT towards the end there so my Crystal Soul Spear was hitting like a truck but man it costs so much mana. I'll probably start NG+ on my STR character now or maybe even run a NG dex build with faith. Still lovin' this game!

Cyrano

Souls games usually consume me when they release, but with DS3 I'm kind of done after two playthroughs.

I also don't know what to play now. :<
I think I'm also starting to approach burnout. It's weird how these games always get me but also have a really strong cooling effect. Makes me wish budgets for indie devs were bigger so they could make more Souls clones. Think I'm gonna continue with Hyper Light Drifter.

Thanks pa22word, was confused given all the talk about 1.06 but guess Steam is still behind (as usual, heh).

Gestahl

It's ash from your enemies.

Obviously that's part of the intent, but they're still more or less blood effects and that's the easiest way to get the gist across when someone's wondering why their skin keeps going all the way to the ebony adonis side of the slider randomly.

Personally I think the effect just gets in the way, but you can say that about a lot of the touches on the game's character models, like the dumb cinder effect that makes your character look all plasticy and actively impedes fashion souls

Cyrano

I need Warmth to complete pyromancies. What/where is the best place to level Mound Makers?
Sadly I'm not sure there is one. Everything I've heard or seen basically says you can either take forever farming them in
Carthus
or take forever trying to beat gank squads. It's even more infuriating that Warmth is a bad pyromancy in this game too - considering it used to be decent.

Rurunaki

I think I'm also starting to approach burnout. It's weird how these games always get me but also have a really strong cooling effect. Makes me wish budgets for indie devs were bigger so they could make more Souls clones. Think I'm gonna continue with Hyper Light Drifter.

Thanks pa22word, was confused given all the talk about 1.06 but guess Steam is still behind (as usual, heh).

Seems to be the easiest of the Souls brethren, but the tightest out of all. I'm with Miyazaki with how the Souls series needs to be "over." Good thing I'm going to be kept busy with the upcoming jrpgs.

Also, cage bro npc best npc.. All about that creepy "Nana" song..

Cyrano

Seems to be the easiest of the Souls brethren, but the tightest out of all. I'm with Miyazaki with how the Souls series needs to be "over." Good thing I'm going to be kept busy with the upcoming jrpgs.

Also, cage bro npc best npc.. All about that creepy "Nana" song..
I don't think it's the easiest by a long shot, I'd probably reward that to DS1 pre-DLC or Demon's Souls. Part of it is also just that it's impossible to give a real assessment on difficulty once you've played a Souls game or Souls-like. You have a really acute sense of what you're getting when that terminology is thrown around (whereas a jRPG is far more vague and could be one of any number of different design practices and ideologies - from strategic management sims like Etrian Odyssey to do whatever the hell you want Final Fantasy games).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's the easiest by a long shot, I'd probably reward that to DS1 pre-DLC or Demon's Souls. Part of it is also just that it's impossible to give a real assessment on difficulty once you've played a Souls game or Souls-like. [b{You have a really acute sense of what you're getting when that terminology is thrown around[/b]

While I disagree with your ranking, the bolded is a damn good point.

Meccs

I feel burned out on NG+ because I don't get summoned as a Blue Sentinel and barely get any invasions. (SL110 currently, Steam version) Both would spice it up a bit but alas nothing exciting ever happens.

pa22word

I need Warmth to complete pyromancies. What/where is the best place to level Mound Makers?

Don't farm or invade, join a fight Club at high wall or ps bonfire by putting down a red sign soapstone mark. If you're decent at pvp you'll easily have 30 shackles in 2 hours or less.

SeanTSC

Jumping back into my NG++ run. I'm up to the Catacombs and it's been ridiculously easy so far. Cruising through it even easier than I did NG+. Not exactly going fast though since I'm determined to loot every single item in the game even though I already have everything outside of the +2 rings.

I'll be wearing my Way of the Blue thing the whole time so it gives more Darkmoons/Blue Sents a chance, but I'm level 195 which is pretty high. Hopefully there's enough range that it gives some people opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom