• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

Whose idea was it to force you to level up 5 times in order to get the secret ending? The game forced me out of my level 120 character just to fulfill the requirements.

Why are you assuming the meta would be SL120?

The NPC quest lines are stupid though.

I started this game about a week ago, admittedly I haven't had a lot of time to play it, but I'm yet to beat the first boss (always get killed by the crystal salamander as well).

In Bloodborne, the first two bosses were very challenging for me as well, but I think because you start out in a much more open area in BB it was much less frustrating because I had a lot of fun just fighting regular enemies, learning the mechanics etc but in DS3 it starts out in what feels like quite a small area with nothing but the basic enemies, one tougher one and a boss.

I've always sucked a bit at these games, Bloodborne is the only one I made considerable progress in (guessing I'm about 40-50% through BB and around level 40). I love both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 but am still in the relative beginning of those despite having about 4-5 hours playtime on them both, but my lack of progression in DS3 is on a whole new level...

The game seems awesome from what little I've experienced of it... but I'm kind of thinking maybe I should start over since I'm basically at the very start anyway, I thought Mercenary would be a decent class to choose but it's probably more about me not being able to git gud enough to beat the first muhfuckin boss in the game.

I've watched a couple of youtube videos to help have a better idea on how to approach the fight, and taken their tips on board but still often die even before he transforms to his second form, and once he does that I rarely get more than a few hits in before he merks me.

One upside is that for lack of other things to do, I've practised parrying a fair bit (something I neglected to really learn in older Souls games) and though I still only pull it off roughly 20% of the time... it's better than 0% I suppose.

Septimius

Spoilers about a "hidden location" kind of mid-game, pertaining to a coventant:
How was I supposed to know that in
Anor Londo
, that there was an
invisible path from the Anor Londo lift-tower over to the bonfire?

Been trying to play the game kind of not with a guide, but that part just baffled me when I at the end of my game went through a list of things I wanted to find. Is it mentioned anywhere, or any hints?

Oceiros
doesn't have a tail cut? I did practically all my damage to the tail and nothing happened - it just looked so obvious and tempting that it would be, but I guess there are no tail cuts in DS3?

Raist

Banned
Anor Londo
, that there was an

Been trying to play the game kind of not with a guide, but that part just baffled me when I at the end of my game went through a list of things I wanted to find. Is it mentioned anywhere, or any hints?

Nope. There was a whole area in DS1 with stuff like that too.
They did place the bonfire in a way that you know that there must be a path to get there. It's just entirely up to you to figure it out.

jahasaja

First time in this thread. Just finished the game. Loved every second of it. However, I must say that I felt it was very short compared to 1 and 2. I finished it in 25 hours and the other games took me 60+ hours.

Is this a common complaint so far?

I think I missed all the optional areas (if there are any I have stayed spoiler free up until know) except for the very last one
where you find the eyes of the first fire keeper

Also, will you ever be able to upgrade your armor? In the manual they said you could..

BeeDog

Quick question about one specific hidden area (big spoilers):

How are you supposed to figure out how to get to the Untended Graves without a guide?

Kyoufu

First time in this thread. Just finished the game. Loved every second of it. However, I must say that I felt it was very short compared to 1 and 2. I finished it in 25 hours and the other games took me 60+ hours.

I think I missed all the optional areas (if there are any I have stayed spoiler free up until know) except for the very last one

Well, yeah, games tend to be shorter when you skip the content they offer.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is there any way to get the Hawk Ring without
killing the giant? The Wiki says that he will die if you get all three branches, but i guess that you have to have chose the one as burial gift in the begining then?

Not sure, you could check where his quest ends. After the battle with L
othric
, Y
ounger
P
rince
, his corpse will show up sitting at a table at the top of G
rand
A
rchives
, on the upper floor where the four sorcery-using candelhead enemies are.
Thanks. Yeah, i found the ash there in NG, but then i completeed his quest. I will check tomorrow if his ash is still there after i've beaten that boss.
Just to confirm this, i beat the boss earlier today and the ashes cant be found. Seems like that NPC is gone forever in this round :( I wish that the had made it possible to get it anyway. Oh well, i need to get to NG++ anyway for platinum, so i'll do it there instead.

Audioboxer

killing the giant? The Wiki says that he will die if you get all three branches, but i guess that you have to have chose the one as burial gift in the begining then?

Just to confirm this, i beat the boss earlier today and the ashes cant be found. Seems like that NPC is gone forever in this round :( I wish that the had made it possible to get it anyway. Oh well, i need to get to NG++ anyway for platinum, so i'll do it there instead.

There's other branches later on ;) Asked this question yesterday.

jahasaja

I just said that I loved the game no reason to be so defensive. I played the game without a guide, obviously, I did not find all the secret areas.

Are you saying that the optional areas are 35 hours long?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

just the three
I didnt have it as my start gift and he still died in mine
I forget where the three are though. One in the graveyard, one in farron swamp and cathedral of the deep I think

Kyoufu

I just said that I loved the game no reason to be so defensive. I played the game without a guide, obviously, I did not find all the secret areas.

Are you saying that the optional areas are 35 hours long?

I think you're reading too much into what you quoted. The game is obviously longer if you do everything. Not by a whole lot, but it's still longer. It is shorter than previous games from what I remember, but quality over quantity.

jahasaja

I think you're reading too much into what you quoted. The game is obviously longer if you do everything. Not by a whole lot, but it's still longer. It is shorter than previous games from what I remember, but quality over quantity.

I agree, The later areas have the same quality as the earlier areas which was a problem in the earlier games.

Quick question about one specific hidden area (big spoilers):

How are you supposed to figure out how to get to the Untended Graves without a guide?

it's just an illu wall, isn't it? plenty of messages lying around there. that dead end is too obvious even without imo.

pa22word

"Skip"? lol

You might have a point had not the optional content in the game been so obnoxiously hidden, two of which you have no real hope of finding on your own unless you play at the right time and see some messages. Even then the last one is still so completely asinine that I can't help but think less than 10% of the people who play the game will ever find it without a google search. The other one, one which I can sorta see how people might stumble upon it unaided, introduces a new environmental gimmick that is never used before or again, so I hope you watched the E3 reveal trailer for DS2 otherwise you'll probably never find that one either.

To scream at the dude for "skipping" shit that's hidden to the point of obfuscation is silly.

Regarding the milkring and bloodring, only the latter actually improves your i-frames right? While the former is only a visual effect, which 5 % or so of opponents will be confused by?

Kyoufu

"Skip?" lol

You might have a point had not the optional content in the game been so obnoxiously hidden, two of which you have no real hope of finding on your own unless you play at the right time and see some messages. Even then the last one is still so completely asinine that I can't help but think less than 10% of the people who play the game will ever find it without a google search. The other one introduces a new environmental gimmick that is never used before or again, so I hope you watched the E3 reveal trailer for DS2 otherwise you'll probably never find that one either.

*shrug* I found all the optional areas through exploration. I was pretty thorough in terms of searching every nook and cranny. Probably hit more solid walls than I can count trying to find illusory ones.

And yet I still missed out on a ton of questlines. Going through them with a guide in NG+ otherwise I'd have no chance to complete them.

To scream at the dude for "skipping" shit that's hidden to the point of obfuscation is silly.

Where am I "screaming" at him? I'm confused. I used skip as a general term for not completing content available. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't know why you're angry :(

test_account

XP-39C²
There's other branches later on ;) Asked this question yesterday.
just the three
I didnt have it as my start gift and he still died in mine
I forget where the three are though. One in the graveyard, one in farron swamp and cathedral of the deep I think
I checked the Wiki and i'm sure that i collected all the branches at those three locations. I double checked two of them, but not the last one in
Farron Keep. I did however beat the big crab there, so it would be strange if i missed an item pick up, but i'll check again.

pa22word

*shrug* I found all the optional areas through exploration. I was pretty thorough in terms of searching every nook and cranny. Probably hit more solid walls than I can count trying to find illusory ones.

And yet I still missed out on a ton of questlines. Going through them with a guide in NG+ otherwise I'd have no chance to complete them.

If you found ADP without a guide/google then I applaud your ability to inherently know what a game designer is thinking when designing a level, but for most people they're just not going to ever find it. Like I said, to call him out for "skipping" stuff like that is just silly.

The game is the shortest game of the series, and FS shoehorning some stupidly hidden areas in the game doesn't change that. Only one of them is very long, anyways. ADP is like 3 rooms and 2 boss fights, UG is a copy/paste job of an already short area with a boss fight, and SL is probably the worst area in the game. Nothing there is going to radically alter his opinion, nor will it drastically lengthen the run time.

Kyoufu

If you found ADP without a guide/google then I applaud your ability to inherently know what a game designer is thinking when designing a level, but for most people they're just not going to ever find it. Like I said, to call him out for "skipping" stuff like that is just silly.

The game is the shortest game of the series, and FS shoehorning some stupidly hidden areas in the game doesn't change that. Only one of them is very long, anyways. ADP is like 3 rooms and 2 boss fights, UG is a copy/paste job with a boss fight, and SL is probably the worst area in the game. Nothing there is going to radically alter his opinion, nor will it drastically lengthen the run time.

I think you've perhaps misunderstood what I said. I never once claimed DS3 is longer than previous games. It's a fact that it's the shortest.

One-shotted
Nameless King

Fuck yeah.

Well done. That one took me a while to beat.

Smidget

And done. Great game. I'm not a PVP or NG+ guy. When it felt like near the end of the game I googled guides for the hidden areas and made sure to kill all of the optional bosses. It was the easiest Souls game boss wise in my opinion, with only having multiple frustrating deaths on a few, was glad there was no O&S ripping all my hair out equivalent lol

Anor Londo
, that there was an

Not trying to sound like a know it all because there's plenty of things in this and previous games I didn't see - but this one I did. I noticed that
the tower looked similar to the lift tower with the jutting out platform
and I didn't guess this but it had been bugging me since arriving in that area, that
the room up the stairs from the church bonfire that has nothing in it - no illusory walls and no treasure said to me it was going to be a drop-off shortcut back to the bonfire

The Lamp

I think you've perhaps misunderstood what I said. I never once claimed DS3 is longer than previous games. It's a fact that it's the shortest.

Well done. That one took me a while to beat.

Is it really the shortest? Because I'm 60 hours in and just got to
Anor Londo and beat Aldricht
. Am I close to the end?

Finished my first run through (32 hours) and ended up accidentaly entering NG+ even though I had some stuff left in I
rithyll
. Will get them on my second one, I guess.

Question about A
rchdragon
P
eak
, because I definitely missed it. How do you interact with the
Dragon Stones?
. I might be missing another optional area, but I dunno.

Got really lucky on some bosses but here's my final death count to 'em, I think
Iudex - 0
Vordt - 0
Greatwood - 1
Abyss Watchers - 5+
Crystal Sage - 0
Deacons - 0
Wolnir - 1
Old Demon - 0
Yhorm - 0
Pontiff - 5+ (had to summon)
Aldrich - 3
Dancer - 5+
DragonSlayer - 0 (really, really lucky. Ended in a sliver of health)
Oceiros - 1
Champion - 1
Wyvern - 0 (well, to the boss, I fell off the map a couple times :v)
Nameless King - 2 (super lucky again, first phase was easy, second was a disaster)
Twin Princes - 0
Soul - 3

Also, when I summoned for
Pontiff
, after we won, the person I summoned put on a Mimic Head and began spinning around. It was super fun haha.

Smidget

. Am I close to the end?

Not at all but I'm wondering how the hell did you only get that far with 60 hours? Like I said, only walk through I used was to get to optional bosses and I beat the game in 33-34 hours. First Souls game or lots of PVP/Farming?

Kyoufu

. Am I close to the end?

You've got some way to go yet. In these games YMMV when it comes to length. It took me that long to reach
Anor Londo
in the first game but by that time I had already gotten to the end of DS3. It really depends on the individual's pace.

Also, will you ever be able to upgrade your armor? In the manual they said you could..

Yeah the game felt short, I did all the areas aswell, And the questlines. It's a straight run once you get to
Lothric Castle then Grand Archives

pa22word

Not at all but I'm wondering how the hell did you only get that far with 60 hours? Like I said, only walk through I used was to get to optional bosses and I beat the game in 33-34 hours. First Souls game or lots of PVP/Farming?

lol, you missed the guy in OT1 who took 40 hours to get to Cathedral o___o

It took me 14 hours to get through the PC version on NG, so anything way greater than 20-30 hours to beat all the areas blows my mind, unless people are doing assloads of cov stuff.

gunstarhero

Got to Road of Sacrifices last night after doing everything I possibly could in the first couple of areas.

Walking around with a Mirrah armor set, Northern helm and Frost sword feeling like real bad ass. Then a bunch of crows started screaming and I ran back to my bonfire.

Echoplx

eymG2Yi.png

tumblr_nsc9qyiSvz1r470w9o1_250.gif

I killed ~1000 knights, only one darkmoon summon during that whole time.

SkylineRKR

Yeah the game felt short, I did all the areas aswell, And the questlines. It's a straight run once you get to
Lothric Castle then Grand Archives

Yeah its design is like; straight line -> Area with one hidden side area (that mostly results in a dead end) -> straight line.

Thats why the game doesn't connect that well, there is not really a Forbidden Woods hidden path that ultimately takes you back to the very first lamp in the game. Its only within levels themselves, such as the Cathedral that has good shortcut design but towards its own bonfire only. And that was an optional area with a dead end.

Firelink Shrine is completely separate as well. Which struck me as odd after DS1 FS and Majula.

pa22word

Yeah its design is like; straight line -> Area with one hidden side area (that mostly results in a dead end) -> straight line.

Thats why the game doesn't connect that well, there is not really a Forbidden Woods hidden path that ultimately takes you back to the very first lamp in the game. Its only within levels themselves, such as the Cathedral that has good shortcut design but towards its own bonfire only. And that was an optional area with a dead end.

Firelink Shrine is completely separate as well. Which struck me as odd after DS1 FS and Majula.

Cathedral isn't actually optional, although it probably should have been. The game will (literally) invisible wall your ass if you go the other way without beating it first.

Spacejaws

Dont know about long im at 40 hours and just beat
wolnir
so I must be quite slow. SL47 so I dont think ive been grinding that much I did do the catherdral a hell of alot of times because I heard
patches
was there but must have messed something up cause they never showed.

Generally I've been bumbling about the zones looking for hidden treasure. Im also a souls wuss so I tippy toe past the bonfire to see whats there and hurry back when I see what monstrosities await.

Is this a common issue? I'm playing the PS4 version, and wholly shit the frame rate when I reached
The Grand Archives
. It just drops to an almost unplayable number. I can't time my rolls or parries right because of how chunky everything gets. Then I go back to Firelink and the frame rate seems stuck in this low space. Resetting the game brings it back to normal, but entering the aforementioned area kills the framerate again. Is this normal? I can't even bring myself to finish the game because of this, though I'm sure I'll eventually soldier through it. Bloodborne had its issues, but it was never this bad. It makes you wonder if From had trouble getting parity across three platforms or something.

NeoGiff

Died three times to D
ancer
thanks to her slow grab. I just couldn't get used to the super slow timing of it! Got him on my fourth attempt, though. After that, I walloped O
ceiros
on my first attempt with Hawkeye in tow.

Are "invisible dudes" the new "not moving dudes" bug?

Got 2 yesterday.

eymG2Yi.png

tumblr_nsc9qyiSvz1r470w9o1_250.gif

Funny.

Got another 30 on a second character, with summons, without even really trying.

Already got all my covenant items with my first PC character, with only summons too.

Died three times to D
ancer
thanks to his slow grab. I just couldn't get used to the super slow timing of it! Got him on my fourth attempt, though. After that, I walloped O
ceiros
on my first attempt with Hawkeye in tow.

On
Dancer (even though you've already beat him/her?): You can see it coming a mile away. The body does a "worm," and that's your cue to bolt away.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm at a point where I just hate all my weapons that arent my fire longsword
I've tried a variety of stuff but I either hate the moveset or they do shit damage

I think before ng+ I might respec and go full intel or full strength

Styles

Whew, the bonfire just before aldrich is an amazing spot for helping out people with concords. I equipped WoB, then used dried finger and saw constant invasions and Darkmoon/blue sentinels helpers.

SkylineRKR

Cathedral isn't actually optional, although it probably should have been. The game will (literally) invisible wall your ass if you go the other way without beating it first.

I see. Never knew an item was required to advance, lol. Did every area regardless, Cathedral is one of the very best imo (with one the worst boss fights though).

Keinu

I just did a good deed I feel. Cleared out the upper Irithyll dungeon, joined the Way of Blue and used Dried Finger. At least 5-6 Blue Sentinels and Darkmoon Blades joined while I played and all of them got 1-4 proof of concord in the mayhem that pursued.

Sorry to all red/mad spirits, but the blue guys need some love!

pa22word

I see. Never knew an item was required to advance, lol. Did every area regardless, Cathedral is one of the very best imo.

Oh yeah I really liked the level too, but it's a dead end and the way the game connects it to the main path is pretty dumb, frankly. I wish it was just an optional area and just left alone for players to wander upon and say "whoa".

III-V

This happened to me. I completely missed the cathedral, went through the catacombs crossed the Irithyl bridge, and then met an impassable wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom