• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

preta

So for a STR build, is the consensus that Yhorm's Machete is the best/most powerful weapon in the game?

I'm rocking that at +2 and switching between Black Knight's Sword +3 as and when.

My VIT is only at 33 though so using the Machete kills my dodge/duck/dive/dodge tactics.

The Black Knight Greataxe is pretty ridiculous. At 40/40 on my quality build, it has 695 AR. The DEX scaling is only D though, so if you go even higher on STR instead it should be even better.

So I removed the estus flask from my dpad inventory. Plus I do not know how to equip firebombs aside from going through the entire menu.

This is my first souls game, but it seems to me that the hardest thing about this game is the inventory menu...

Could anyone provide some help, thanks!

Open Menu, go to Equipment. The double row of boxes at the bottom are your item slots. You can equip Estus, firebombs, etc in those slots.

SDR-UK

So I removed the estus flask from my dpad inventory. Plus I do not know how to equip firebombs aside from going through the entire menu.

This is my first souls game, but it seems to me that the hardest thing about this game is the inventory menu...

Could anyone provide some help, thanks!

To equip something to your hot menu, click the options button (pause/start button or whatever its called these days) and hit confirm and then the two bottom rows of five slots (10 altogether) are your hot items, you can and should equip items such as your Estus Flask, Ashen Estus, Throwing Knives and Firebombs here.

Edit: Beaten.

Lebneney

Banned
Open Menu, go to Equipment. The double row of boxes at the bottom are your item slots. You can equip Estus, firebombs, etc in those slots.

To equip something to your hot menu, click the options button (pause/start button or whatever its called these days) and hit confirm and then the two bottom rows of five slots (10 altogether) are your hot items, you can and should equip items such as your Estus Flask, Ashen Estus, Throwing Knives and Firebombs here.

Edit: Beaten.

Bless you both.

Early in the playthrough he is pretty down on all the references to other games and it sort of makes it less fun to watch.

It's understandable to an extent, though. All these things thrown in for seemingly no reason at the start, basically no changes in dialogue after you do some major things... I didn't play DS1 before 3 but it was bothering me that I beat a lord and then like only one person in the whole shrine talked about it.

Ever since A
byss Watchers
though he seems to be in a mood upswing.

It's not exactly the same in DS3. I saw a video with Epicnamebro fighting them and it took about 10-12 punches to beat a single skeleton.

I don't use blunt weapons so I wouldn't know such. But it's easy to see that heavy weapons stun them easily and fire works well if you don't use blunt weapons. They're not particularly difficult as long as you stun them. And the regular enemies go down in two hits anyway.

Also, DS1 required Blessed weapons to keep them from resurrecting.

Imo the hardest part of the catacombs is the vases with the pursuers. Since I'm a bit reckless they killed me more times than I'd like to admit. Otherwise it was pretty fun overall, and the
bridge
segment was so good once I understood it. I've managed to get all of them but one.
And then had absolutely no clue you could use it as a ladder until I went back to the area when I was worried it only had two bonfires.

The Demon Ruins though? They can buzz off.

SDR-UK

ugh i dont know what's faster. farming the skeletons or killing player in a parties of 3

Mound Makers? I can summon you at the final area (just before the boss) and repeatedly jump off the cliff if you want? You'll get all the shackles still. Hopefully your PS4.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Alright so I have some questions about this one, related to my apparently incredibly exceptionally horrible 20 hour experience with Dark Souls.

1) Is there some kind of sensible layout to the world? I know DS1 was all interconnected, but that was often if you just happened to find tiny little corners that give you and elevator or something. I had an awful experience running long stretches in 4 different directions looking for just one damn bonfire then someone would say afterwards "Oh, you could have just gone to [describes tiny obscure corner with shortcut to a fire]"

2) Can you turn off online? I had a particularly awful run once where I went on a huuuuuge hours-long journey doing really well for once, eventually barely surviving the giant rat boss with no potions, getting cursed by some bug thing, and then about 5 feet from a bonfire I finally found I was invaded by a ridiculously OP person who one-shotted me after I got like 15 hits on them that did almost nothing. That is some bullshit and I never want it to happen.

3) Do you still turn into a zombie when you die? I spent most of my time in that form as I died a lot and it was kinda lame after spending time in character creator.

4) If you die at a boss do you have to go all the way from the last fire, and if so, are fires closer to bosses? I must have tried Capra Demon like 30 times trying to figure out a working strategy before finally giving up and just watching a youtube of a good one. Every single retry I had to run through the sewers from the main bonfire, killing all the monsters along the way. It was a really lame, redundant, unchallenging waste of time for just another possibly-five-second chance at figuring out the boss.

5) Do you still spend souls you collected to level up yourself or weapons, requiring you to not die to keep that progress until you saved up enough? I suppose I'm okay with that aspect, provided there are ways to grind if you have to after a death, just as long as it isn't too ridiculous. However I would like to know if it is a prominent aspect. I really prefer games where you start with all your abilities and it is the performing challenge itself that is hard and you can just go for it, not how smartly you develop your character, requiring a lot of additional study outside the game.

MilkBeard

It's understandable to an extent, though. All these things thrown in for seemingly no reason at the start, basically no changes in dialogue after you do some major things... I didn't play DS1 before 3 but it was bothering me that I beat a lord and then like only one person in the whole shrine talked about it.

Ever since A
byss Watchers
though he seems to be in a mood upswing.

Imo the hardest part of the catacombs is the vases with the pursuers. Since I'm a bit reckless they killed me more times than I'd like to admit. Otherwise it was pretty fun overall, and the
bridge
segment was so good once I understood it. I've managed to get all of them but one.
And then had absolutely no clue you could use it as a ladder until I went back to the area when I was worried it only had two bonfires.

The Demon Ruins though? They can buzz off.

Lol. I kind of wish they just made the Demon Ruins have something else to it. It's a decent loot place but it doesn't go anywhere. A final hidden boss deep within would have been cool.

1) Is there some kind of sensible layout to the world?
It's like DOOM, the actual world is fairly linear with the occasional secret level, but the levels themselves tend to be big and require a lot of exploration within themselves.
2) Can you turn off online?
Yep. I think it's in the online options in the menu.
3) Do you still turn into a zombie when you die?
Nope. Becoming hollowed is a different, separate mechanic now (that can be healed).
4) If you die at a boss do you have to go all the way from the last fire, and if so, are fires closer to bosses?
They are closer for the most part.
5) Do you still spend souls you collected to level up yourself or weapons, requiring you to not die to keep that progress until you saved up enough?
Yes.

SDR-UK

1) There is a somewhat cohesive design to the world where you can see an overview of everything offered after beating the second boss but it is in no way interconnected like Dark Souls unfortunately. The major areas of the game are divided and they all have cohesiveness and shortcuts between areas (I don't want to list and get too spoiler-ish) but think Demon's Souls if you played it with the Archstone system. There are a lot of shortcuts, particularly in late game areas.

2) You can play the game totally offline via a toggle available in the options menu.

3) You don't become a zombie, you keep the features of your character and the only addition to becoming "Embered" is the flame particle effect on the character. So no, it does not ruin your hard work in the character creation.

4) Unfortunately some of the runbacks to the bosses can be a pain in the ass but some areas are alleviated by some elevators or different shortcuts that help to cut the runback down a little bit.

5) You have to spend your souls to level up and level your weapons (not armour in this game, though) so there is a little bit of grinding in that regard but if you're progressing through the game in the order intended (and it is hard to stray away from that in this one) then you should be good to go with the weapon upgrade materials and you'll probably become over-levelled at the end of the game if my play-through was any indication and I should point out that I did not farm at all for levels.

Edit: Beaten. #sadness

that would definitely be awesome. You need the items as well?

No, I've got the platinum already. Don't mind helping people out though. So, if we put on a password (NGAF) and ensure that matchmaking is cross region, I can start summoning you at the run up to the last boss of the game and then just repeatedly jumping off the cliff. Any idea on how many you need to complete this?

Lol. I kind of wish they just made the Demon Ruins have something else to it. It's a decent loot place but it doesn't go anywhere. A final hidden boss deep within would have been cool.

Yeah, it was a whole detour that I didn't even really need since I only found the ruins after clearing the whole lake. At least I was able to
draw the black knight at the bottom of the ladder to the balista, draw him towards the 'knight hunter', and let them fight it out haha. Best moment of the area.

Unai

GAF, what about this annoying knight at A
rchdragon Peak
who keeps respawing? Do I have to do something to stop him? He already gave me a
ring

x3r0123

No, I've got the platinum already. Don't mind helping people out though. So, if we put on a password (NGAF) and ensure that matchmaking is cross region, I can start summoning you at the run up to the last boss of the game and then just repeatedly jumping off the cliff. Any idea on how many you need to complete this?

i need about 25, you will probably find my character as gar.
edit: my sign is just north of the bonfire before boss

GAF, what about this annoying knight at A
rchdragon Peak
who keeps respawing? Do I have to do something to stop him? He already gave me a
ring

kill
the summoner
on the second floor

BraXzy

I'm starting to feel confident with my skills and I'm slowly mastering most combat mechanics so things are hotting up!

Just had a really really fun session. Got from the "R
oad of Sacrifices
" bonfire up to the "C
leansing
C
hapel
" bonfire. I missed some stuff along the way so I'm definitely gonna go back!

MilkBeard

Wow, Youtube comments are the plague. There are so many salty people criticizing everyone's playstyle whenever someone uploads a video of any kind. Especially so if the video happens to have some clever gameplay concept to it.

preta

Alright so I have some questions about this one, related to my apparently incredibly exceptionally horrible 20 hour experience with Dark Souls.

1) Is there some kind of sensible layout to the world? I know DS1 was all interconnected, but that was often if you just happened to find tiny little corners that give you and elevator or something. I had an awful experience running long stretches in 4 different directions looking for just one damn bonfire then someone would say afterwards "Oh, you could have just gone to [describes tiny obscure corner with shortcut to a fire]"

DS3 makes use of shortcuts in much the same way as DS1, but they're more obvious and they don't tend to go between different areas, only between different parts of the same area. Unlike DS1, however, in DS3, the ability to warp between bonfires is available from the start, which makes traveling much faster.

2) Can you turn off online? I had a particularly awful run once where I went on a huuuuuge hours-long journey doing really well for once, eventually barely surviving the giant rat boss with no potions, getting cursed by some bug thing, and then about 5 feet from a bonfire I finally found I was invaded by a ridiculously OP person who one-shotted me after I got like 15 hits on them that did almost nothing. That is some bullshit and I never want it to happen.

In DS1, this only happened when you were in human form after restoring it at a bonfire using consumable humanity items. In DS3, Embers are a consumable item that boost your max HP by 30%, but open you up to invasion until death. You are otherwise not able to be invaded. You can also turn off online functions entirely, but you won't be able to read or leave messages.

3) Do you still turn into a zombie when you die? I spent most of my time in that form as I died a lot and it was kinda lame after spending time in character creator.

Only if you pursue a certain sidequest chain, and even then, it can be undone.

4) If you die at a boss do you have to go all the way from the last fire, and if so, are fires closer to bosses? I must have tried Capra Demon like 30 times trying to figure out a working strategy before finally giving up and just watching a youtube of a good one. Every single retry I had to run through the sewers from the main bonfire, killing all the monsters along the way. It was a really lame, redundant, unchallenging waste of time for just another possibly-five-second chance at figuring out the boss.

Shortcuts are a big part of this. If you make effective use of shortcuts and run past enemies, you will rarely have to run for more than 30 seconds to get back to a boss.

5) Do you still spend souls you collected to level up yourself or weapons, requiring you to not die to keep that progress until you saved up enough? I suppose I'm okay with that aspect, provided there are ways to grind if you have to after a death, just as long as it isn't too ridiculous. However I would like to know if it is a prominent aspect. I really prefer games where you start with all your abilities and it is the performing challenge itself that is hard and you can just go for it, not how smartly you develop your character, requiring a lot of additional study outside the game.

You use souls to level yourself up, buy items, and upgrade weapons, although for the latter the primary resource is Titanite, which is not lost on death. Trying to retrieve your souls upon death is definitely important, but you are always able to grind. As for character development and challenge, skill is far more important than your level or equipment. People have beaten the game at level 1 (though you'll still need to upgrade your weapons to be able to do any sort of reasonable damage later on). Don't worry about potentially messing up your build - you can respec 5 times per game cycle (as in 5 times in a new game, then 5 more times in a new game+ in the same file, then 5 more times in NG++ etc.

It's clear from reading this that Dark Souls isn't for you.

SDR-UK

Does anyone have a spare avarice helmet they could toss me? I'm on NG++ and still haven't received one. :(

PSN: Finkrat

Where can you summon? I'm currently helping another guy farm his Shackles but I can be there in approximately five or so minutes, probably before. (Also password: NGAF and cross region enabled)

x3r0123

Does anyone have a spare avarice helmet they could toss me? I'm on NG++ and still haven't received one. :(

PSN: Finkrat

probably way overleveled than me but not sure if the levels are caps are still there. If it works, i can toss you one and reload my save :p

Can you get most achievements I'm the first play through? I know the endings require you to complete a couple of times unless you cloud save/load. What about the side quests?

lionpants

Can you get most achievements I'm the first play through? I know the endings require you to complete a couple of times unless you cloud save/load. What about the side quests?
- All quests except both pathes of one can be done in one playthrough.
- All rings require 3 playthroughs
- Endings require 3 playthroughs (for the trophy), 4 to see all endings (or use PS+ exploit)
- All spells can be achieved in one playthrough

Also, thanks for the helm!

Finally getting summoned for Watchdogs of Farron, and steadily too! I guess the key was to stay under leveled for the area? Wha?

Blue Sentinels however - nothing. I was hoping the patch actually addressed this like it says, but apparently not.

Also it's lame that you can 2 hand a weapon to meet the strength requirement, yet still get punished severely by a damage reduction. I can wield it!

what-ok

How in the world will I ever get summoned enough for the
watchdogs
covenant max devotion? Too much waiting around or am I doing it wrong?

what-ok

Finally getting summoned for Watchdogs of Farron, and steadily too! I guess the key was to stay under leveled for the area? Wha?

Blue Sentinels however - nothing. I was hoping the patch actually addressed this like it says, but apparently not.
Hahaha. Just posted right after you. I'm higher level.i think 97. Should I just do NG+? Think that could help?

x3r0123

How in the world will I ever get summoned enough for the
watchdogs
covenant max decoration? Too much waiting around or am I doing it wrong?

you can farm it at the poison area. it's one with the
2 spear + poison spitter

should have kept my concords and help you guys.

MilkBeard

Also it's lame that you can 2 hand a weapon to meet the strength requirement, yet still get punished severely by a damage reduction. I can wield it!

I was getting back to back Blademoon summons earlier today. Higher level though, 111.

I've got about 50 or so extra Concords Kept just chilling in my inventory. I've already given the covenant leader like around 60.

Is the black knight sword worth using? Found it during a detour from C
atacombs
. Greatswords seem pretty bad in this game (too slow) but this one seemed to have really high attack rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom