• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa22word

Yeah, I've got summoned fine a couple times. It's just I've been summoned twice in about 20 minutes wait time. Which fight club would you recommend? Do I need to get to 120 to summon consistently?

I switched around the soapstone colors btw*

I was 120, but you should be fine around level 90-100. MMers match making scales upward instead of down, so you shouldn't be having problems with that.

As far as areas I'd check out Pontiff, High Wall, and Great Belfry bonfires for the best PVP arenas. Pontiff is the best for 1v1. Go there and plop down a red sign and eventually /someone/ is going to summon you.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Quick question, how do I invade other players with a buddy of mine?

Tingle

So how are gank squads set up in this game? Are they just pugs?

You have to invite your friend to your world, then you invite invaders to your world, either through their summoning signs or from the fingers item.

It honestly gets old quick, though. There isn't really a fight, which kinda kills the point.

vocab

Quick question, how do I invade other players with a buddy of mine?

Honestly, it's practically impossible. You could technically match up during a watchdogs or aldritch summon, but you might as well just pvp with him by summoning each other with characters that havent beaten the area and popping dried finger.

Auctopus

I switched around the soapstone colors btw*

I was 120, but you should be fine around level 90-100. MMers match making scales upward instead of down, so you shouldn't be having problems with that.

As far as areas I'd check out Pontiff, High Wall, and Great Belfry bonfires for the best PVP arenas. Pontiff is the best for 1v1. Go there and plop down a red sign and eventually /someone/ is going to summon you.

Meh, I think it's just sort of obnoxious. I have the other platinums, this one just doesn't look worth doing at all. I'm spending more time waiting on a match that I might win than actually playing the game.

elfinke

First post in either of these OTs despite being as big a fan as any other of these games.

Yawntastic is my take away from DS3, but I think that is largely to do with franchise fatigue rather than an actual assessment of DS3 (I'm not as negative on this as I was on BB upon completing it, for example). Overall I had a pretty merry time, but it is probably my least favourite of the Souls' games, I think (though the spread between favourite and least favourite is awfully thin so that's neither here nor there really).

Most of the bosses were a real treat, as were a couple of the locations (namely the ones that didn't involve another fucking crumbly rooftop or castle).

But I'm not feeling the early PvP-meta (estus flasks, holy shit, fights can take for ever, combined with a pretty lame amount of diversity at the moment. Bring back Hexes I say!) especially compared to DS2 where it was brokensublime as often as not, and due to the aforementioned series fatigue, I'm not champing at the bit to replay the PvE aspects again, either (though cooping some of the bosses was a real blast, to be fair). Related to that point, I really miss the ability to use bonfire ascetics.

The mugen character build calculator is pretty handy though, and I'm sure I'll do plenty of theory-crafting in the meantime, which in turn will ensure I hang around for a while yet.

pa22word

Meh, I think it's just sort of obnoxious. I have the other platinums, this one just doesn't look worth doing at all. I'm spending more time waiting on a match that I might win than actually playing the game.

bruh....

If you think waiting on MMers is bad, wait 'till you start going after concords >.>

pa22word

there are people who summon phantoms and then summon a red or purple player to gank him?

Yes, absolutely.

This is why it is imperative that a mound maker NEVER lay down a white sign. Your ass will be ganked by 3 other other people wanting a free shackle drop off your naive ass. All in all it's probably the most efficient way to farm shackles >.>

I'm so conflicted but I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get PS+. I love DS but I can't stand the idea of paying for a subscription to play online, however I also don't want to be dealing with hackers ruining my experience on the pc version. I guess I will just have to suck it up and and get the PS4 version. PS+ is such a big turnoff and with all the hacking going on it really is kind of the only option right now.

so i'm upto lord of cinder and the only really boss fight that I member really enjoying was probably Champion Gundyr. I have been using the sellsword twinblades which catches invaders off guard with it's weapon skill, kind of getting tired of it now though.

Randam

I'm so conflicted but I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get PS+. I love DS but I can't stand the idea of paying for a subscription to play online, however I also don't want to be dealing with hackers ruining my experience on the pc version. I guess I will just have to suck it up and and get the PS4 version. PS+ is such a big turnoff and with all the hacking going on it really is kind of the only option right now.

never saw a hacker.
not during dark souls 1 and not with dark souls 3 now.

2AdEPT

THis is on the paranoid side isnt it?...I have played some 5000 hours of various souls on PC and saw one hacker in DS1, one in DS2 and ZERO so far in DS3. I have used gamesave manager since ds1 and never had to worry about hackers even if I did come across one personally, which is rare. The one hacker I saw for DS2 was actually humourous....he pretended to be sonic the hedgehog and could go faster than blazes...I actually was glad I had the chance to be surprised by him...it was cool and added to my experience.

What stats should I prioritise for my dex pyro build?

Currently level 77 sitting on 25 vig, 24 att, 20 end, 30 dex, 20 int, 20 fth.

Realised I can't get dex/int/fth to 40 each and stay at level 120, and then I also wanted to add some more to vig/att/end eventually lol.

Dex I'm assuming is well worth levelling all the way to 40, but what else? Will I see much gain from int/fth? I mainly just use Carthus Flame Arc with Chaos Bed Vestiges as a ranged option for annoying enemies and bosses.

Also item wise, I've had my Sharp Uchigatana+10 since the beginning, is there anything clearly better than it?
Just got the Onikiri and Ubadachi which seem badass, have the materials to get them straight to +7 and Sharp if they're worth it.

And also rings, I'm using Great Swamp, Witch's, Estus and Cloranthy as so far they are literally the only 4 that add anything of worth. Is there any good ones I've missed? At the
Archives
now.

Cyrano

never saw a hacker.
not during dark souls 1 and not with dark souls 3 now.
I've seen two on PC so far. One was infinite life and the other was infinite stamina. Ended up deleting those saves since I got bored of the character, but yeah, PC definitely has a hacker problem right now. Interestingly, I saw both while in
Anor Londo
. I'm not sure it's severe, as I've had hundreds of match-ups, but seeing hackers does definitely spoil the experience to some degree.

Don't really mind hackers, they do some good work (Skyrim modding, game translations, etc.), but when it affects other people's experience of the game, that's a problem. Even worse that there are some messing with the softbanning system (though Namco/From hold an equal share of responsibility for implementing a system like that).

Also worth noting that the Mugen build calculator isn't currently calculating weapon damage and scaling, so it's mostly only still useful for deciding on builds, not really comparing effectiveness just yet.

pa22word

THis is on the paranoid side isnt it?...I have played some 5000 hours of various souls on PC and saw one hacker in DS1, one in DS2 and ZERO so far in DS3. I have used gamesave manager since ds1 and never had to worry about hackers even if I did come across one personally, which is rare. The one hacker I saw for DS2 was actually humourous....he pretended to be sonic the hedgehog and could go faster than blazes...I actually was glad I had the chance to be surprised by him...it was cool and added to my experience.

are you in this video :eek:?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkGD_Vv9hFY

Mist

Banned
I personally never use Estus Flasks in PvP, unless the other person uses it (which happens quite a lot sadly), but what about using Ashen Estus Flasks? What's the "general rule" about using those?

MrS

Banned
I get the feeling it's gonna be quicker for me to complete the game another 27 times than get summoned 27 times for some Proof of a Concord Kept items. Shit sucks bruhs

Cyrano

I personally never use Estus Flasks in PvP, unless the other person uses it (which happens quite a lot sadly), but what about using Ashen Estus Flasks? What's the "general rule" about using those?
Not actually sure, but given how rarely I've seen anyone even trying to use magic in PvP, it'd be hard to say either way. Generally I'd say there are no restrictions on them though? Is there an example where they're a problem? I've PvPed a lot and haven't really run into an issue with them.

BeeDog

Alright, all optional areas down, only the end-game left. The (secret location spoiler)
Archdragon Peak
area was super-nice, great environmental graphics, not overly annoying enemy placements and a great, great (and hard!) boss to cap off the Dark Souls series, one of its best.

(boss spoiler)
The Nameless King, aside from the awful camera while fighting his dragon form, is a very well-designed and challenging fight. For some reason, I found the dragon form to be more challenging than his second form, but it still took me 4 tries to beat the boss.

Some of these end game bosses are really testing my patience.

There's been a good few enemies and bosses in this game where I've had to expel almost an entire stamina to dodge their multi-hit combos and then you're left with the choice of hitting them in their tiny window downtime after their combo and risk them tanking it with hyper-armour and then getting hit yourself or letting your stamina bar recharge and hope their next combo isn't quite as long. I feel like this is one way they've tried to make the game harder for series vets, but it doesn't work for me.

2AdEPT

Some of these end game bosses are really testing my patience.

There's been a good few enemies and bosses in this game where I've had to expel almost an entire stamina to dodge their multi-hit combos and then you're left with the choice of hitting them in their tiny window downtime after their combo and risk them tanking it with hyper-armour and then getting hit yourself or letting your stamina bar recharge and hope their next combo isn't quite as long. I feel like this is one way they've tried to make the game harder for series vets, but it doesn't work for me.

Yeah the pontiff was on a different level than smelter demon and fume knight. I still havent beaten him...I refuse to raise stats and pull off the perfect set of parries to beat this boss. I will get the hang of his attacks sooner or later, but yes they definitely strung more together...they did this in Bloodborne as well, i.e Pthumerian descendant, but at least there the dodge was much quicker. Its been hard going back to non bloodborne freedom and quickness.

Second playthrough finished.

Honestly, found the game a lot more enjoyable shield-less.
Hvent used a shield (other than for the buff effect) since ds1 DLC release....once you lose it you never go back.

Ricker

Wow,I actually finished a Souls/Borne game for the first time...awesome.I have to admit though,half the Bosses I did with a friend via Soapstone password co-op but still,I am happy...probably got the worst ending possible lol,I'll go check in the spoiler/lore thread now...

Level 94 in 70 hours ;)...the first 2 regions and the swamp region,the area with the Crystal Sage,I redid a full kill everything about 5 times though to level up Vigor,Endurance and Strenght(Knight).

So how are gank squads set up in this game? Are they just pugs?

I would recommend the dried finger. It allows you to summon two phantoms and get invaded by two people. I recommend against going 4v2 as that's just cheap and not very fun. But do like this: summon your friend with password matching, then pop a dried finger for some 2v2 coop pvp goodness.

I've invaded people that did this a couple of times, and it's tons of fun for everyone involved

Cyrano

Yeah the pontiff was on a different level than smelter demon and fume knight. I still havent beaten him...I refuse to raise stats and pull off the perfect set of parries to beat this boss. I will get the hang of his attacks sooner or later, but yes they definitely strung more together...they did this in Bloodborne as well, i.e Pthumerian descendant, but at least there the dodge was much quicker.

Hvent used a shield (other than for the buff effect) since ds1 DLC release....once you lose it you never go back.
Worth mentioning that it's still currently better to try and get as close to 70% of your equip load as possible because your rolls are quicker as a result (they technically have less iframes, but because they are shorter they can be chained together more easily than when you're at 50% or less equip load). This wasn't fixed in the latest patch, as far as I'm aware (maybe it's intended?).

Lots of people seem to be boosting the mound-makers. You are aware that boosting is against the user agreement you sign the first time you log on right? Maybe it's hard for them to figure out you did it, but it would suck to get banned over something like that.

Ricker

Lots of people seem to be boosting the mound-makers. You are aware that boosting is against the user agreement you sign the first time you log on right? Maybe it's hard for them to figure out you did it, but it would suck to get banned over something like that.

Not sure what that means lol...and I think this is the only Covenant I didnt join...without spoiling,can you cheese the area to accept to join or do you have to fight...?

2AdEPT

Worth mentioning that it's still currently better to try and get as close to 70% of your equip load as possible because your rolls are quicker as a result (they technically have less iframes, but because they are shorter they can be chained together more easily than when you're at 50% or less equip load). This wasn't fixed in the latest patch, as far as I'm aware (maybe it's intended?).

Very interesting !! and I think I noticed this...I went into Lotric using the skip and got the huge
winged knight
armour and felt like I was rolling better than I was with the
Dancer
set! It wasnt just my imagination then.

edit:

and on that note:

Wow. It took me two days to edit all this but I finally got my Hyper Mode character, Minimaximus, started and here is my video on how to get it started early in NG using the
dancer
skip and
Sword Master
glitch!

Not sure what that means lol...and I think this is the only Covenant I didnt join...without spoiling,can you cheese the area to accept to join or do you have to fight...?
Actually its a secret access with no fighting necessary, but you do have to access it before kiling the Tree boss, which most dont do since its an early boss, albeit optional.

Cyrano

What is boosting? Never even heard of this.

draliko

Well finished my first run earlier, now I'm torn between ng+ or new vanilla run, partly because I'm not happy with my aspect, part because I want to try a piromancer and I'm not sure if respec would work as I will probably screw it stat wise as always (it's easier to start from the beginning to get to know how a class work), so any suggestions? Respec on ng+ or vanilla run on another xhar? Any build suggestions for piro? I'm really bad at build planning, right now I've got a mixed build on str and dex, but I could probably do double the dmg with a functional build.

Sanctuary

Soul of Cinder literally seems like the worst aspects of Dark Soul bosses all rolled into one.

1. 100% kill combo if you mess up once and aren't at full health? Check
2. Button reading bullshit that the series started with Artorias of the Abyss? Check
3. Ridiculously bad hitboxes that hit you almost a full second after you dodge away from where you were when the attack initiated? Check
4. 360 degree, competely stamina draining (on block or how many dodges are required to evade) moves? Check
5. Boss has a bunch of abilities the player does, except they don't suffer the same limitations in using them? Check

I've beaten the fight more than once, but fuck if it isn't the stupidest in the game for melee.

myco666

It is? What does it exactly say?

Cyrano

Very interesting !! and I think I noticed this...I went into Lotric using the skip and got the huge
winged knight
armour and felt like I was rolling better than I was with the
Dancer
set! It wasnt just my imagination then.

edit:

and on that note:

Wow. It took me two days to edit all this but I finally got my Hyper Mode character, Minimaximus, started and here is my video on how to get it started early in NG using the
dancer
skip and
Sword Master
glitch!
Yeah, you're not crazy. It is odd though - this is the first game where getting closer to the equip load cap actually makes your roll better. DS3 does it differently from the other games (i.e. faster startup and recovery, rather than more iframes). Normally iframes are everything, but in this game every animation has startup and recovery that cannot normally be changed (spells in this game have a charge time that is shortened by dexterity, weapons don't seem able to be sped up) - the roll is an exception to this, where increasing your equip load (closer to the cap) makes your startup and recovery shorter (and thus your roll, as a whole, shorter). If you don't have any stamina this is a bad thing, but if you do have stamina this is a great thing (allows you to chain rolls, and thus iframes, together more cleanly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom