• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fbh

Any good DEX weapons you guys would recommend?

The Uchigatana has been my best friend since Demon Souls, but you get it really early here and I'm looking to add some variety to my arsenal.

O
ld
D
emon
K
ing
is a Dark Souls boss alright. Just
hang out near its ballsack for easy win.
This was the second boss in a row I beat on my first attempt (last one was A
byss
W
atchers
).

Anyway, I'm glad I'm finished with exploring S
mouldering
L
ake
and D
emon Ruins
. Both of those areas were a bit of a pain in the dick to be honest. At least I got some nice loot! Now to see whether those areas are fun to invade.

The Uchigatana has been my best friend since Demon Souls, but you get it really early here and I'm looking to add some variety to my arsenal.

I used it for almost all of my playthrough. There is another katana in an early/mid area, but I didn't think it was worth switching. The other ones I like are all pretty far into the game.

Washing pole can be bought and some pretty awesome Twinswords in late game area

this has got to be the most frustrating episode of ENBs playthrough yet holy crap

Yeah for some reason I'm finding his play through insufferable. Dude basically spends hours looking at a rock on the ground and missing every single obvious thing around it. Keep watching my favorite streamers like NorthernLion walk past a door leading to a bonfire shortcut 40 times without exploring it then complain about not seeing a bonfire in ages and having to do such long boss runs.

For people like ENB that are so details oriented and take their time to be thorough it is insane how much obvious or even barely hidden stuff they're missing.

I love the dude but fuck. If I see one more person take the elevator up in the 2nd C of the D shortcut and just run off the edge REPEATEDLY I'm gonna throw my computer in a dumpster fire.

Ladekabel

How to get to the dungeon:

From the church bonfire go out the only other door. Down the path to the left is a building full of creatures that only have their eyes visible. Go through that building, down the stairs, and across the swamp. At the end of the swamp there is an opening that leads underground. Follow that to find the dungeon.

Thanks. Is there an invasion before an bonfire? If yes, I think I found it.

Styles

Not joke, it took me close to 3 hours to find a way to cross the ceiling and over onto rosaria's in CotD. I felt so dumb afterwards.

I still consider the Carthus Curved Sword to be THE best weapon in the game. It didn't fail me on my Dex build and it hasn't failed me on my Dark Pyro build.

Range is really good, the 2H R1 attack is very quick, almost faster than most straight swords. The running R1 is a really good opening attack because of how quick it is and the scaling very good in whatever you infuse it with.

Edit: The weapon art is also really good, but mostly for PvP.

Sarcasm

I just realized in my invasion that the blue summon was an actual person. I was like wow switches to bow that is neat!

lol!

Jedi2016

Yeah for some reason I'm finding his play through insufferable. Dude basically spends hours looking at a rock on the ground and missing every single obvious thing around it. Keep watching my favorite streamers like NorthernLion walk past a door leading to a bonfire shortcut 40 times without exploring it then complain about not seeing a bonfire in ages and having to do such long boss runs.

For people like ENB that are so details oriented and take their time to be thorough it is insane how much obvious or even barely hidden stuff they're missing.

I love the dude but fuck. If I see one more person take the elevator up in the 2nd C of the D shortcut and just run off the edge REPEATEDLY I'm gonna throw my computer in a dumpster fire.
One thing that's bugging me about ENB's playthrough (I've only watched up to where I am in the game), is that he's playing offline. I can see the fear of spoilers with messages and such, but I've never come across any, and you miss out on a ton of shit by not having the messages up, even the useless ones. It's all part of the experience, and to play offline seems to be a waste, IMO.

How else do you ever expect to find illusory walls and such? I can't go around banging on every wall I see, but if I see a message next to a wall, bullshit or not, whether I even read the damn thing or not, I'm still going to take a swing at it.

I ended up my game with the Irtithyll Rapier and Arstor Spear. Both were very very solid Dex weapons, and I really hate going the "what is the easiest, safest weapon to use" route. Hell, I used a Ghru Curved Sword with Bleed on it for a long part of my playthrough. It made shit harder but I had a lot of fun using a weapon that isn't just "Going Dex, here's your default weapon. Yawn"

I really want to make a claws run some day.

But yeah, I mostly went Katanas on DEX/QUALITY character, because IMO spears and similars are too boring.

I just realized in my invasion that the blue summon was an actual person. I was like wow switches to bow that is neat!

lol!

lol indeed.

Blue summons are always people, just so you know.

gunbo13

Sorry if this has already been asked as I have not followed these threads. But the HUD on the PC version at 1080p is huge. Is there anyway to reduce the size, especially inventory?

What is the AA solution for this as well? The IQ looks really muddy. Any aftermarket tips to sweeten the aesthetic would also be appreciated.

It is tough coming last from the speed of BB. I'm running a 2 blade Merc to try to get it as fast as possible.

MrHoot

What level? Bluebroing still broken for me.

I'm in new game +, level 123 right now (going for 125). I got out of being a bluebro, got 4 tokens after killing a bunch of phantom. The moment i got out i got summoned again. And while typing this i got summoned again (all of this while being in undead settlement)

So yeah there's activity for me

Tarkus

Speaking of halberd...

They are my anti-game. Any time someone pulls it out in PVP my ass is /dead/. Can't get any hyper armor to bust through the BK Glaive nor Gundyr varients, and the stun lock is real. It honestly shocks me I don't see more people using them because from my perspective they are real as fuck. I even have taken to using Gundyr's occasionally because one time someone wrecked my ass so hard with one I didn't even get a single hit in.
Same here. The BKG is an absolute beast. I can't even Bestoc these people.

Sarcasm

Sorry if this has already been asked as I have not followed these threads. But the HUD on the PC version at 1080p is huge. Is there anyway to reduce the size, especially inventory?

What is the AA solution for this as well? The IQ looks really muddy. Any aftermarket tips to sweeten the aesthetic would also be appreciated.

It is tough coming last from the speed of BB. I'm running a 2 blade Merc to try to get it as fast as possible.

Options > Autohide

Really only option. Its one of my irks too.

374320_20160502000326c4k9t.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized how From completely obuscated the [mid-late location spoiler, strong reference to older games]
signature spiral tower to be visible in Irithyll to keep players guessing if it is AL or not. Either there's stuff in front of it, or they just put a huge amount of fog over it, which you don't even realize the first time through.
Really well done, I only found out while actively searching for it.

Yeah...about ready to tap out on Nameless. First phase is pretty easy but it hits hard and takes up some flask uses. Then he just stomps my face in on the second one. Think I am going to skip him and go finish the game for now. Even summoning isn't helping, if I can even be fast enough to summon on him. The two times someone did get in they die on the first phase.

gunbo13

Options > Autohide

Really only option. Its one of my irks too.
Figured as much when I searched for the topic and came up empty. Thanks. Your screenshot is a breathe of fresh air. Why From feels to slap a huge part of the screen with icons 5x the necessary size is beyond me.

Anyone know about the AA solution? It doesn't look fuzzy like FXAA but damn if the game doesn't look really IDK, grimey? I don't just mean the aesthetic. Should I be overriding with CP or anything we have yet to pretty the game up?

ThisOne

Been using the Dark Sword for a bit. Looking to switch it up. I have a quality build. What weapons would you guys recommend or should I be on the look out for. I'm about halfway through the game, I think. Just beat
Wolnir
and finished Smouldering Lake area including killing
Old Demon King.

Sande

I see so much complaining about the first phase of NK.

Just don't lock on.

I've never had any camera problems doing that.

HF2014

Just wondering something. Is new game + supposed to make this harder? Im on my second playthrew, im at Anor Londo atm, and im clocking like about 8 hours more than what it took me to beat the game the first time. I only encounter a tougher challenge, Pontiff. Ok only 8 hours, im trying to speedtun it, but still, remove about an hours ( i seriously died i think 30 time vs Pontiff ), all the other bosses went down farely easy. Im now guessing i can beat the game in less than 20 hours... Sure i havent went all threw things to get and discover..but still...

One thing that make me think this game is easier, is the dodge roll cap at 70% gear. Was it not like 50% in Dark Souls? I mean i roll fast, use the ring to make you invincible in rolls, in Lothric plate( ok im at 40 in vitality , but was using other plate that were less heavy before Lothric )

Im hoping they will patch that up. They wanted to make it faster like Booodborne, but i think its not the best call imo. Maybe put it down to 60%.

HF2014

Been using the Dark Sword for a bit. Looking to switch it up. I have a quality build. What weapons would you guys recommend or should I be on the look out for. I'm about halfway through the game, I think. Just beat
Wolnir
Old Demon King.

Did you Heavy Gem on it? Its my weapon of choice for New Game plus atm, it does amazing damage, and u can buff it.

test_account

XP-39C²

Just don't lock on.

My problem is more about being able to dodge the attack. Not really that bothered with the camera, i also dont lock on. Its really not that hard, but more annoying.

NIN90

Wolnir
Old Demon King.

You can find a
Black Knight Greatsword
in
Smouldering Lake
. Has the same speed as the bastard sword so it's pretty much the fastest greatsword.

Sarcasm

Figured as much when I searched for the topic and came up empty. Thanks. Your screenshot is a breathe of fresh air. Why From feels to slap a huge part of the screen with icons 5x the necessary size is beyond me.

Anyone know about the AA solution? It doesn't look fuzzy like FXAA but damn if the game doesn't look really IDK, grimey? I don't just mean the aesthetic. Should I be overriding with CP or anything we have yet to pretty the game up?

One of the things I miss from dsfix is the customization of the UI elements.

And yeah steam, even the uncompressed copies don't do the game justice. It doesn't even look like that in-game. If I go through my screenshots I see that grass looks completely different. In game it looks like grass, take a screenshot and it looks like the lowest setting. I can't help you with AA as I am not picky (well lazy more like it, I fought with it in other games like GTAV).

hollomat

Banned
I'm on Xbox. My app ver is 1.06, but my ref version is 1.04. I'm online but I can't see any notes or summon requests and I think it's due to the mismatch between app and ref version. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: summons just appeared. Keep getting the message can't summon anyone though. Is he Xbox still having a bunch of connectivity issues?

Steel

Banned
Wolnir
Old Demon King.

Falchion is a great quality weapon all-around. Only way to get it is to farm the skeles that use them, unfortunately.

I used two thrusting weapons so I needed to lock onto the first phase of NK. That being said, the only attack I ever had trouble with was the stupid Fire AOE, and you avoid that as long as you stay in front of him. Never had a problem staying locked on, once he takes off none of his attacks come out fast enough where you can't get him in your sights. Seriously didn't have any trouble keeping the camera where I needed it in that phase.

lol, Watching ENB's playthrough and he finds
the Londor dude dead and is like "He didn't just die on his own! I smell bullshit!"
And it's like "Nah, that's what happened." Oh, he just mentioned that it might be because he
never leveled up using him.
Good show.

myco666

Just wondering something. Is new game + supposed to make this harder? Im on my second playthrew, im at Anor Londo atm, and im clocking like about 8 hours more than what it took me to beat the game the first time. I only encounter a tougher challenge, Pontiff. Ok only 8 hours, im trying to speedtun it, but still, remove about an hours ( i seriously died i think 30 time vs Pontiff ), all the other bosses went down farely easy. Im now guessing i can beat the game in less than 20 hours... Sure i havent went all threw things to get and discover..but still...

One thing that make me think this game is easier, is the dodge roll cap at 70% gear. Was it not like 50% in Dark Souls? I mean i roll fast, use the ring to make you invincible in rolls, in Lothric plate( ok im at 40 in vitality , but was using other plate that were less heavy before Lothric )

Im hoping they will patch that up. They wanted to make it faster like Booodborne, but i think its not the best call imo. Maybe put it down to 60%.

NG+ just gives everything more health and higher damage output. The boost is pretty small and is the same throughout so you will steamroll early game if you have fully upgraded equipment and high stats. Difficulty picks up once you get back to Lothric Castle but even then I don't it is that noticeable.

After I got the hang of the fight, I thought
the two Princes
was a really cool boss fight. Very frenetic, always doing something but recognisable and dodgable patterns - That's a good Souls boss afaik.

Now
Nameless King
is like the opposite end of the scale. The first couple of times I fought him the first phase was no problem but since then I seem to keep getting killed by the fire because I just can't see where the hell it's gone in order to follow/run away. Not fun, but I have atypical taste in boss fights I think - I'll take a gimmick boss like
Wolnir or Deacons of the Deep
any day to something like this.

Just don't lock on.

It never even occured to me to lock on during that fight. It's a little like Ancient Dragon in DS2 when it flies up, except in that fight you could follow the tail, here it doesn't seem to give a hint of where it's gone and then it's insta-kill flames before you even get to rotate the camera in order to see where it is. I'm sure with a bit more experience I'll get the hang of it, but it's frustrating as hell right now!

Ricker

Yeah...about ready to tap out on Nameless. First phase is pretty easy but it hits hard and takes up some flask uses. Then he just stomps my face in on the second one. Think I am going to skip him and go finish the game for now. Even summoning isn't helping, if I can even be fast enough to summon on him. The two times someone did get in they die on the first phase.

Yep,same thing for me...unable to summom over and over and one time there was like 2 signs on top of each other,I didnt read and summoned a dark Spirit lol...he was cool though,kinda waited to see if I was going to fight him or head to the Boss since I had a partner but I said you goofed(me) you fight him lol...I died.

Sande

The NG+ and beyond scaling is definitely too low at least for the first couple of runs. I'm on NG+3 and the game is just starting to get about as difficult as NG.

The 70% cap is ridiculous. A few points in vitality and you'll be mid-rolling in full Havel's in no time. The jump from 30 to 70 is also absurd. It's really difficult to get down to 30 (and most light armor sets are fugly in this game) and the benefits aren't really worth the difference in defense.

Jesus, seeing ENB get romperstomped two feet away from Anri is fucking hilarious, especially afterwards when he doesn't realize you're supposed to
cut the fucking bridge to kill all those skeletons.

Oh there he goes.

I just realized how From completely obuscated the [mid-late location spoiler, strong reference to older games]
signature spiral tower to be visible in Irithyll to keep players guessing if it is AL or not. Either there's stuff in front of it, or they just put a huge amount of fog over it, which you don't even realize the first time through.
Really well done, I only found out while actively searching for it.

You can even see the buildings on the beginning after you beat Vordt. Just look to the left from the ledge with the binoculars.

jett

D-Member
Aw yea made it to the soulsmillionaire club.

Luck is great for Bleed builds.

Magic is good in all parts of the game. Early on, Pyro, Heals and Hidden Body will get you very far and late game you can nuke stuff with high INT/FTH.

Nope. Great for bleed and using
Anri's Straight Sword
with high luck does absurd damage.

I guess you must have a specific build to make proper use of it. But as accessory to my melee guy all that stuff serves little purpose, except for the Carthus Fire Sword thingy which I did use a lot in my first journey. I actually put some points into intelligence and then realized I don't really care much about sorcery. :p

First phase of NK, just don't stand under him. The only time he uses that flame attack is if you attack the legs or crotch or whatever. Just stand in front of him and he'll never use it ever.

Sande

It never even occured to me to lock on during that fight. It's a little like Ancient Dragon in DS2 when it flies up, except in that fight you could follow the tail, here it doesn't seem to give a hint of where it's gone and then it's insta-kill flames before you even get to rotate the camera in order to see where it is. I'm sure with a bit more experience I'll get the hang of it, but it's frustrating as hell right now!

My problem is more about being able to dodge the attack. Not really that bothered with the camera, i also dont lock on. Its really not that hard, but more annoying.
You guys aren't under it, are you?

I'm always right in front of it, ready to dodge and smack its head a couple of times. All the attacks are easy to see coming (and quite trivial to dodge) and it's immediately obvious which way you should run to avoid the flying fire attack.

First phase of NK, just don't stand under him. The only time he uses that flame attack is if you attack the legs or crotch or whatever. Just stand in front of him and he'll never use it ever.
Exactly. Although he still does the flying attack occasionally, but maybe I'm just getting a bit too close.

I think they solved the "just stay near his feet and he can't touch you" problem that large enemies tend to have really well with NK.

MrHoot

I've been running my luck build now in NG+ with some bleed buff in addition to a fully upgraded twin warden swords.

Seeing bosses susceptible to bleed just melt after an L2+R2 is hilarious. I decided this time around to go through
Lothric castle and Oceiros's Garden + untented graves
early in the gameand it's just funny to grind the bosses into a bloody mess.

Also to answer my own question from a few pages ago, but it seems that going through these zones early does not mess up NPC progression in the rest of the game so at least that's nice

Really wish there was something like a chalice dungeon where I could go back and fight bosses after the game is done tho

GulAtiCa

I'm such an asshole. lol. I'm being a mad summon in G
rand Archives
. I co-op for most part. But once the host reaches the 1st major short-cut that drops down the big long ladder. I then get behind them with my Hornet ring on and backstab them. Usually halfs their HP and the force of it pushes them off the ledge too. So they either fall from the fall or from me then landing on them. :)

I'm such an asshole. lol. I'm being a mad summon in G
rand Archives
. I co-op for most part. But once the host reaches the 1st major short-cut that drops down the big long ladder. I then get behind them with my Hornet ring on and backstab them. Usually halfs their HP and the force of it pushes them off the ledge too. So they either fall from the fall or from me then landing on them. :)

Aw man you're almost As bad as the guy I heard who would backstab people as a mad phantom just as the bonfire got into view.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I CAN'T fucking beat
The Nameless King
. I walk in with two other people and I still can't get that fucker down to even half health. How is that even possible? On top it's super hard to find people for him. Geez, I think I might just give up.

Sande

Aw yea made it to the soulsmillionaire club.

I spent 1.3 million to make my character pretty again the other day.

make-it-rain-dollar-bills-democrats-funding-throw-money.gif

I'm just afraid to level up at this point since I'm already kinda fucked trying to PvP and there's fuck-all to spend your souls on if not levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom