• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarkus

Why do people do any optional content? Why do people waste their time playing video games? Why do people do anything besides eat sleep shit die? Because they get satisfaction from it. He wasn't having fun getting the achievement so he quit. Why are still having these arguments in tyool 2016?
Experiencing everything a game has to offer and grinding for every achievement is not even on the same planet with these games my friend.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
im wearing a mix of armors and i thikn its gone together really well
click to enlarge

26153989824_3f170354dd_o.png

Lingitiz

First phase, stay under the dragon and don't lock on. If you see him fly straight up, run like hell in the direction he's facing.

Second phase is actually pretty difficult coz he's tanky as fuck. Use fire/magic buffs and dodge his attacks or if you have Magic Great Shield spell and a great shield then mix up blocking and dodging. If all else fails, summon meatbags.
First phase is easy aside from the obvious fire attack designed to make you eat up estus. I can't get close on the second phase. I don't use any magic at all.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Finally beat the game this afternoon.

End game boss spoilers:

Lorian and Lothric
were the toughest boss(es) for me, hands down. Phoned in help for that one and it somehow got worse. 3
healing phases?
Are you shitting me?

The last boss was hands down my favorite fight. Lots of variety and no cheap bullshit. Loved it!

im wearing a mix of armors and i thikn its gone together really well
click to enlarge

Work it. I don't have my game open but I went a combo of Dancer Helm(cause that sheer drapey head cape is dope as fuck)/Pontiff Knight Armor/Sunless Gauntlets and Dark Leggings cause they look boss underneath that cape drape.

Edit: Whoops, got the items wrong.

Is there a known issue with summoning at (late game area)
Archdragon Peak
?

Every time I summon for the boss I get locked into being unable to quit unless I use a homeward bone, can't rest at the bonfire, and EVERY sign I hit says "unable to summon phantom"

Why is heavy armor trash? Ive been using vathedral knight helmet and armor and seems to be ok. For that fight though i used conjurer robes for high fire def.

Poise does literally nothing in this game and poise is the main weight cost of heavy armour. You can wear a ring of steel protection for a similar effect of damage reduction.

mxgt

Banned
First phase is easy aside from the obvious fire attack designed to make you eat up estus. I can't get close on the second phase. I don't use any magic at all.

If you're using a shield I'd abandon it for him tbh. Roll is king.

Second phase it just about learning the attack patterns and timing and staying cool as he has so much HP. Still took me 4 tries on my second play through.

Poise does literally nothing in this game and poise is the main weight cost of heavy armour. You can wear a ring of steel protection for a similar effect of damage reduction.
Well not just poise but heavy armor also blocks way more physical damage. Lile cathedral is like 13.9 and the drang armor protecta 8.9 or something. So how could the consensus be that heavier armor doesn't defwnd better.

kencey

why does a spell have to do with beating that? Just bait the attacks

Sure, but that would take 10 min.
Saw a video of a guy using that spell and it does a shit ton of dmg (physical damage) to that boss , took him less than 2 min to beat him....

I've noticed definite differences in armor, at least as far as damage goes, in a number of fights. The poise mechanic is still blorp, but there have definitely been times that swapping out my armor affected my longevity in a fight in regards to taking damage. Hell, the final boss almost entirely depended on me having higher absorption.

Also for the N
ameless
K
ing
fight, as many have said before (including me!) in the first phase never stand underneath him. Stand in front of him and lock onto his head. He will NEVER use the AOE flame attack which is his only problematic move. For the second phase, your mileage may vary, but if you have difficulty dodging all the lightning then do what I did and use a shield with High Lightning Resist. It'll stamina bounce you but I never once didn't recover before I could dodge his follow-up. I couldn't dodge his lightning summon or lightning pulse so I just blocked it and took a chip of damage then soldiered on. I...don't see him being a damage sponge. He took a comparable amount of damage compared to most other bosses. It was only a long fight due to needing to only hit once or maybe twice before going on the defense again. At the end he had...15% of his life left when charging for his AoE and I just ran in and flurried him with maybe 4 attacks to kill him before it could go off.

Well not just poise but heavy armor also blocks way more physical damage. Lile cathedral is like 13.9 and the drang armor protecta 8.9 or something. So how could the consensus be that heavier armor doesn't defwnd better.

Yeah like I said you could wear a ring of steel protection for that extra, which doesn't make that much difference most of the time anyway. If you are super high level you might as well level up your vit but lower levels you are going to be much better off getting health or other stats.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

It also allows you to equip heavier weapons and shields and equip more items in your left and right hand slots without hitting the roll penalty.

Experiencing everything a game has to offer and grinding for every achievement is not even on the same planet with these games my friend.

But he specifically said he wasn't grinding for the achievement. He said the grind was too much and he quit. Also, many games require you to grind to see all of the content. In Dark Souls specifically you have to grind to see everything the game has to offer. Spells and equipment are locked behind covenants that have to be grinder to receive. Certain weapons are rare drops that you have to grind to obtain.

My point is, some people enjoy the satisfaction of getting achievements. The grind doesn't bother them. I enjoy grinding rpgs when unwinding from work. Some people don't enjoy it and that's OK too. Everyone is different, it's what makes this world so wonderful/terrible.

The roll timing is weird with the second phase. I found rolling earlier than usual helps a lot with avoiding his attacks. Also I never go for the second swing. Dodge, attack once, dodge, and so on.

Loving this game. Quick question: I'm an uchigatana guy, always have been. It's currently at +4. Everyone says to infuse it with sharp..... What happens when I do? Do I stay at +4 and continue to upgrade with the better dex scaling that the infusion provides? Thanks.

knitoe

Loving this game. Quick question: I'm an uchigatana guy, always have been. It's currently at +4. Everyone says to infuse it with sharp..... What happens when I do? Do I stay at +4 and continue to upgrade with the better dex scaling that the infusion provides? Thanks.
Yes, it stays at the current upgrade lvl. Just the scaling changes.

Manu

Finally beat the game this afternoon.

End game boss spoilers:

Lorian and Lothric
were the toughest boss(es) for me, hands down. Phoned in help for that one and it somehow got worse. 3
healing phases?
Are you shitting me?

Actually,
the battle ends when you kill Lothric. As long as you only hit him, he can die before healing Lorian once.

Is that
the astora spear?
ive been using that and need to level it up but the health regain is awesome

Yezzir. It scales incredibly well for Dex builds and has a quick moveset both one and two handed, along with the life proc and shield breaking. Good for bosses and normal enemies. I didn't want to go "Wikipedia's Best Dex weapon" and have a boring run so I just picked it up and found it was fun to play with. I'll tell you, the extra reach on it REALLY helped in the NK first phase to get that extra distance towards the head.

Starting a new character and Imma try to get an entire Irithyll Fire Asshole set and use the Weapon to Immolate people. I just wanna start new characters and try to build them around weird weapons. I have a feeling a Pyromancer might do really well with the D
ancer
Boss Soul weapon, due to the Int/Mag scaling.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Actually,
the battle ends when you kill Lothric. As long as you only hit him, he can die before healing Lorian once.

Man, I wonder if I was locked on to the wrong guy. Ugh, that fight lasted 6 minutes with myself and a summon.

Fuuuuuck.

2AdEPT

YEs I believe the only difference is better stat scaling off dex and less str.

Danny-Boy

Just finished it. 40 hours and SL90. What a great game. Not as good as Bloodborne but the best Souls since Demons. Only had
Nameless King
and
Soul of Cinder
to beat. Easily the two hardest bosses after
Lothric/Lorian and Old Demon King
. The rest were pretty easy. I gave up on
Nameless King
2nd phase after a few tries and tackled
Soul of Cinder
. I thought he was pretty easy until his 2nd phase ripped me apart. Got him after a few tries and went back to
Nameless King
and got him with no estus flasks left and about a quarter health left. My heart was beating so fast. What a ride. Yet again well done From.

So i just started the game and i'm on the second area outside of the tutorial and I cannot find any good light weight armor.

Can you not upgrade your armor this time around?

bronk

Banned
I just beat
aldrich
and then i used a homeward bone immediately after
when next boss showed up. Now i cant find him. Did i mess something up?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just beat
aldrich
and then i used a homeward bone immediately after
when next boss showed up. Now i cant find him. Did i mess something up?

No.

He is across from where you fought Vordt and spoke to the old woman, very early in the game

Fucking FINALLY got my 30th Proof of Concord from the Silver Knights.

Here's some context: in the time it took me to farm the last 10 I needed, I earned enough souls just from farming the knights to go from level 145 to 191. So, yeah.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Here's some context: in the time it took me to farm the last 10 I needed, I earned enough souls just from farming the knights to go from level 145 to 191. So, yeah.

sweet fucking christ

That's millions and millions of Souls... you poor bastard

Blocking being weak in DkS3 is another advantage for greatshields in PvP. About a third of my invaders come at me with a huge combo, hoping to break my guard. They don't seem to anticipate someone tanking the full combo and still having the endurance to counter. I'm guessing these are first-time Souls players.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Blocking being weak in DkS3 is another advantage for greatshields in PvP. About a third of my invaders come at me with a huge combo, hoping to break my guard. They don't seem to anticipate someone tanking the full combo and still having the endurance to counter. I'm guessing these are first-time Souls players.

Yeah but one person with guard break weapon art and you're done.

love this game so much. already at the very start of the game i knew i liked it more than Dark Souls 2 and maybe it would even be better than Dark Souls 1. i still want to see how the rest of the game turn out but i just finished the Catacombs and i really love all the boss fights. that giant boss fight where you have to hit the bracelets was brilliant. there was another one earlier that made me think of Shadow of the Colossus. good to see them still trying new things.

gaugebozo

I'm not going to be able to find the post now, but a guy did a test with different builds and the conclusion was that the extra vitality you needed wasn't worth the extra damage you avoid. The extra points were better spent on health instead of equip load.

Here it is: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ltsquigs/blog/dark-souls-3-breaking-the-tank/113034/

Yeah but one person with guard break weapon art and you're done.

Hasn't come up yet. But the majority of invaders I'm seeing seem to have some idea how to fight someone carrying a heavy shield, so I am by no means recommending tank-->counter as the whole gameplan. It's just nice how often it has worked for me.

So i just started the game and i'm on the second area outside of the tutorial and I cannot find any good light weight armor.

Can you not upgrade your armor this time around?
You can't upgrade armour but so long as your equip load is under 70%, you're good.

Infusion can change damage type and scaling. Sharp increases Dex scaling so if you're a dex build it makes sense. You will stay on +4, but dex scaling will be better and you'll pump out just that little bit more damage.

In that case, learn attack timings and learn to dodge correctly. Expending a few embers to understand his attacks is a small sacrifice as you can get em back multifold by sunbro-ing. What makes his attacks difficult to dodge is that he has a few different attack combos, some with a slight delay and some rather fast. Again, he's weak to fire so use a fire resin on your weapon.

jett

D-Member
I'm level 140~. What do I need to get a bleed build going on?

I've honestly been playing this game like a mindless brawler. Just blocking, rolling and brute force. :p

Cyrano

To make your choice even worse- heavy armor is trash in this game :p
Heavy Armor isn't trash, but it doesn't give you Poise for the moment. Vitality is a pretty worthless stat though.

Given how rolling currently works, it's best to just try and hover around the 70% equip load for the best results.

Chiggs

Gold Member

Unfuckingbelievable.

Cyrano

I've honestly been playing this game like a mindless brawler. Just blocking, rolling and brute force. :p
Luck and a Bleed-infused Katana. That's... about it really.

You can also use
Anri's Straight Sword
to also have an extremely powerful endgame weapon if you're a luck build as well. It's actually a really hard build to beat if you stack buffs.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

respec 40 dex / 40 luck, hollow infusion will probably be best. Get you them Warden twinblades (farm from grave wardens) and a pocket katana (washing pole for pvp/range, onikiri and ubadachi for L1 spam).

Buff your warden blades with Carthus Rouge, then walk up to a thing, use the weapon art > R2, and watch the blood fly.

Before release, I thought I would hate invading once I heard it would prioritize hosts with summons. But the level design is very cleverly made to help invaders out, even when the host has a big numerical advantage. There are a lot of really tough enemies spread out through the levels, or big groups of enemies which can fuck the host and his friends up. Host use a seed of a tree of giants? Good. That means you can lead some enemies toward the host.

You have to play dirty and be cunning. But if you do, it feels really good when you win. Tonight, I managed to win in a couple of 3v1 situations in the D
emon
R
uins
. Felt really good :D

Cyrano

respec 40 dex / 40 luck, hollow infusion will probably be best. Get you them Warden twinblades (farm from grave wardens) and a pocket katana (washing pole for pvp/range, onikiri and ubadachi for L1 spam).

Buff your warden blades with Carthus Rouge, then walk up to a thing, use the weapon art > R2, and watch the blood fly.
Yeah, after doing some reading Hollow Gem seems like a better infusion choice for a bleed build. Unless of course bleed build-up is affected by bleed gems (reporting seems to indicate it isn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom