• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrS

Banned
About to begin Journey 6. Wish they gave you times for each completion. Pretty sure Journey 5 was sub-3 hours.

ogbg

The Red Hilted Halberd served me well from the Undead Settlement to the final boss fight. I would describe it as a swiss army knife of DS3 weapons, the moveset is versatile and punishing in pvp and pve. It mixes good thrusting and slashing attacks with a longer reach weapon. I also found that most players in pvp don't know how to counter it, especially when using Perseverance as kind of free parry to setup counter-attacks or backstabs.

• The R1 attack is a long reaching, fast thrust, like a spear. It's great for moving and poking on bosses, and for punishing aggressive players in pvp. Stamina consumption is low.
  • The 1H R2 is a wide horizontal swing which hits multiple enemies in pve, and can punish rollers in pvp.
  • The 2H R2 is a spin move that can hit multiple times if something is inside the wide hit area.
  • And if all of that isn't enough, the L2 weapon art is Perseverance. Use it like you would time a parry in pve and pvp, and the enemy attack will go right through you for significantly reduced damage, and then punish them with R2 or a backstab. This weapon art seems to really confuse people in pvp.

The weapon's scaling is versatile too. It has a C/C scaling (Refined) for a balanced/quality build (with 400+ AR at +10), it has B strength scaling (Heavy), and it also has A and B scaling for Int and Faith builds. It's a great option for most builds.

The Red-Hilted Halberd is complimented well by a close range brawler type of weapon. I used the Drang Hammers and the Dark Sword. Any blunt weapon is a good compliment and will make the C
atacombs
a much better experience.

That concludes my love letter to the Red Hilted Halberd.

I'm with you. That was the weapon I used in my first DS1 playthrough. I never really properly used it yet in this for some reason but it's exactly the same as it was then as far as I can tell.

I invaded this Estus chugging, Estoc spammer last night with the Aldrich Faithful covenant, and caught him with a charged R1 with the Lothric Knight GS and pancaked his ass. Disconnected after I almost one-shot him. Loser.

Last night was just a bad night for invasions with the AF covenant; nevermind that it was mostly 3v1, but it's 3 on 1 - we're all trading hits, yet they're chugging and running lmao. Have you no honor?!

Ruuppa

I invaded this Estus chugging, Estoc spammer last night with the Aldrich Faithful covenant, and caught him with a charged R1 with the Lothric Knight GS and pancaked his ass. Disconnected after I almost one-shot him. Loser.

Last night was just a bad night for invasions with the AF covenant; nevermind that it was mostly 3v1, but it's 3 on 1 - we're all trading hits, yet they're chugging and running lmao. Have you no honor?!

To be fair, they didn't particularly ask for some random murderhobo to crash their game and try to kill them. Unless they were a gank-party, in which case your frustration is mirrored by mine.

AF is fair in that respect, however, since you get allies to fight bigger parties quite regularly. Or gank solo players, whatever floats your boat.

Santiako

If you are invading they can chug as much as they want, you have no business complaining there.

Something else that it lacked was any impressive dramatic moment for the plot; Demon had the Maiden and the mutated king allant at the end, Dark 1 had the reveal info dumps by the serpents and Solaire, Dark 2 had finding Vendrick hollowed, Bloodborne had killing Rom and the dreams, and getting 40 insight, but I struggle to think of anything in the plot of DS3 that made an impression on me. The closest are
the hollow wedding and Anor Londo
but they feel empty and purposeless to me. Next to that is
the big eclipse and the angels, but those are nearly empty symbols; obviously the eclipse is a big dark mark...but so what. And the angels...well they are flying around. There's no much for the player there, even if you want to argue that the player should figure it out by himself...what is there to figure out?
. The plot is fun and all but it lacked a certain emotional punch to it.

I agree with this. The previous games tended to build toward some, "now we're really getting somewhere" moment. Demon's Souls had the long progression up Boletaria Palace. Dark Souls had Anor Londo and the fascinating descent from the Depths to Blighttown to Quelaag's Domain and on down to Ash Lake. Dark Souls 2 was very effective in building anticipation from Drangleic Castle and the Shrine of Amana until you finally found Vendrick. And Bloodborne obviously had Bergenweth (sp?) and Rom.

Dark Souls 3 seems to treat
Prince Lothric
as a similarly impressive moment, but I can't say I gave the matter any thought until
Emma mentioned it late in the game
. The discovery of
the untended graves
was more exciting to me. Reaching
Anor Londo is cool, of course, but because the location is not significant at this point, it's more fun than dramatic.

The level design is some of the best in the series, only second to Dark 1, topologically speaking; most of the areas had hella shortcuts, intricate layouts, traps, falls, etc. But the motivation for going there was...lacking. You explore a zombie town, then a cathedral, then a poison lake -probably the laziest obligatory area in the game- then some catacombs. Irithyll is refreshing and I actually really like the Profaned Capital....and then you are back in the quintessential castle.

I should have mentioned that I think the level design is consistently good.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Where do I pick up that one shield everybody and their mothers seems to be using? (The folded rectangle looking one that I think Jim Sterling was using in his most recent video)? I'm still using the Stone Parmesan or whatever and I'm bored and want something new.

Ohnonono

Just cause I thought it looked cool I wore the Dragonslayers armor and Used the spear that goes with it while cleaning up NG stuff after beating all the bosses. Seems really good! May actually use it in NG+ along with the Swordspear from NK if I ever get up to the base faith requirement.

ogbg

Where do I pick up that one shield everybody and their mothers seems to be using? (The folded rectangle looking one that I think Jim Sterling was using in his most recent video)? I'm still using the Stone Parmesan or whatever and I'm bored and want something new.

Havel's
?

Any class recommendations for someone who will start with the game for the first time? For my DSII playthrough i went with a sorcerer that i eventually completely changed into a hybrid of two handed (Zweihander) with bow and pyromancy.

I always love starting as the lowest level class (Deprived, in this case). I've only played Bloodborne and DS 3, but the low level ensures that I feel like a god by the time I'm mid-late game. It also allows a few wasted points while leveling up.

To be fair, they didn't particularly ask for some random murderhobo to crash their game and try to kill them. Unless they were a gank-party, in which case your frustration is mirrored by mine.

AF is fair in that respect, however, since you get allies to fight bigger parties quite regularly. Or gank solo players, whatever floats your boat.

If you are invading they can chug as much as they want, you have no business complaining there.

Hey, they can chug all they want. I just think it's funny when it happens and it's 3 on 1. Disconnects are funny too, like man - take the loss! You can always get your souls back. =p

Arjen

Darkmoon is definitely busted for me, played for about 3 hours today, not a single summon. They definitely dropped the ball on the covenants this time, the balance between getting covenant items is absurd, you'll get sunlight medals for Co oping and invading, but for darkmoon you'll have to get lucky you'll get summoned, utter bullshit. Why in the world did they get rid of the blue orb?

tskeeve

I think Dark Souls 3 is caught in a difficult spot where it doesn't have the dense, interlocking world design of DkS, the improved multiplayer and build diversity of DkS2 (this may come with time), or any sort of novelty factor going for it. To take a simple example, the ruined castles and cathedrals in DkS3 are perfectly nice levels, but at this point they feel obligatory rather than inspired.

Wow, really summed up my thoughts more elegantly than I ever could. Something about the progression feels "obligatory" rather than "inspired." For example, in DS1, climbing the rafters while getting shot at by greatbows felt exciting and new. Climbing the rafters in DS3 feels like a cheap attempt to relive that moment. Even if these locations are technically new, they felt all too familiar, which really ruined the sense of discovery for me. That sense of discovery is crucial to my enjoyment of the Soulsborne games.

Thing is, I'm not a huge lore guy (except for Bloodborne), so a lot of the callbacks felt empty, because from a narrative perspective, I didn't really feel that emotionally attached to the locations/npcs from DS1. It doesn't make me "angry" to see
Aldrich
puppeteering
Gwyndolin
-- it just makes me shrug and register "DS1 reference" in my head. Maybe that's the problem? I don't know, but like you, I enjoyed my playthrough, but will likely be putting the game down until the DLC release.

Ruuppa

Hey, they can chug all they want. I just think it's funny when it happens and it's 3 on 1. Disconnects are funny too, like man - take the loss! You can always get your souls back. =p

Disconnects are horribly frustrating. Souls are so easy to get, and since DkS3 is no longer using the horrible Soul Memory -system, the most you lose by dropping your souls is a dozen minutes.

Speaking of souls, I had about 150k souls on me when I started exploring the
Untended Graves
. Then I met
Champion Gundyr
. Then I suddenly had 0 souls.

Damn fun fight, but quite horrifying when done solo.
Darkmoon is definitely busted for me, played for about 3 hours today, not a single summon. They definitely dropped the ball on the covenants this time, the balance between getting covenant items is absurd, you'll get sunlight medals for Co oping and invading, but for darkmoon you'll have to get lucky you'll get summoned, utter bullshit. Why in the world did they get rid of the blue orb?

Darkmoon/Sentinels and Watchdogs have to be bugged. Considering how fast and easy every other Covenant connects, it must be the only explanation.

laxu

Do I have to meet
Siegward in Irithyll before I send Greirat to there?

Yes. Alternatively if you have
Patches and haven't told him Greirats location you can send him to help
. You also shouldn't have killed Pontiff before doing that as that
moves Siegward to the dungeon

What's a good PVP weapon in 2v1 or 3v1 scenarios? Don't think my Lothric Knight GS will suffice.

I really enjoyed the large club, or any other slow weapon with hyperarmour and that amazing moveset of horizontal swipes. I think Vordt's hammer or most other great hammers have mostly the same moveset.

Pair that with an offhand caestus or Llewellyn shield for the parries. Gank squads are usually overly aggressive R1 spammers.

ElFly

I agree with this. The previous games tended to build toward some, "now we're really getting somewhere" moment. Demon's Souls had the long progression up Boletaria Palace. Dark Souls had Anor Londo and the fascinating descent from the Depths to Blighttown to Quelaag's Domain and on down to Ash Lake. Dark Souls 2 was very effective in building anticipation from Drangleic Castle and the Shrine of Amana until you finally found Vendrick. And Bloodborne obviously had Bergenweth (sp?) and Rom.

Dark Souls 3 seems to treat
Prince Lothric
as a similarly impressive moment, but I can't say I gave the matter any thought until
Emma mentioned it late in the game
. The discovery of
the untended graves
was more exciting to me. Reaching
Anor Londo is cool, of course, but because the location is not significant at this point, it's more fun than dramatic.

Yeah
Prince Lothric
is somehow supposed to be dramatic. IMHO they missed the real center of the plot,
Sulyvahn
, there is so much plot around him and he has his fingers on almost every area's pie, yet you fight him mid game without much fanfare. If you switched him around with
dragonslayer armour
and gave him dialogue, or built the hype around him just a little more, it'd feel like a more important moment, and the game would hardly be different, gameplay wise.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so i beat the abyss watchers and I'm currently exploring the chapel, cathedral thing... how much left in the game?

Randam

Speaking of souls, I had about 150k souls on me when I started exploring the
Untended Graves
. Then I met
Champion Gundyr
. Then I suddenly had 0 souls.

Damn fun fight, but quite horrifying when done solo.
He is like a Tekken character.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
You're probably about half way or slightly under that.

thanks.

without spoiling too much, at the current place I'm at... Can I offer Sunlight medals? I've yet to see an altar for that, or is that later in the game?

pa22word

What's a good PVP weapon in 2v1 or 3v1 scenarios? Don't think my Lothric Knight GS will suffice.

I've been doing work with my dex build using the washing pole with carthus rouge + heavy lloyd's talisman usage. I always end up dead in the 3v1 scenario, but I take at least one or two of them with me.

For str I always default to gundyr's halberd. Its sweeping R2 will devastate anyone trying to mob up on you and force some distance between you and the mob at the very least. BK Glaive should work wonders in the same scenario, but that's more of a quality weapon so gundyr's is probably best bet if you want more of a pure STR weapon.

Dimmle

Dark Souls 3's most eligible "volta," in the spirit of the turning points in the other games, in my opinion is entering the
ramparts of Lothric Castle and staring up at a burning sky with a Darksign eclipse
. Seemed pretty significant to me.

RawNuts

Has anyone lost an item somehow? I got the
Obscuring
ring after joining the
Fingers
, I've seen it in my inventory before, and now when I go to actually make use of it, I can't find it anywhere in my inventory and not in my storage box either. I looked through each ring very carefully and it seems to have just disappeared.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind!

Astral

Those Greirat-looking motherfuckers are the hardest enemies in the game. The final boss should have just been 100 of them. Stupid fucking pieces of shit.

mxgt

Banned
Those Greirat-looking motherfuckers are the hardest enemies in the game. The final boss should have just been 100 of them. Stupid fucking pieces of shit.

I hate them so much, worst enemies in the game.

Rock Lizards are second. that fucking homing roll.

ys45

So,doing last boss tonight, completed all optional area and bosses.
Had to do some bosses coop because I seriously was not able to progress (about 3-4).

I like what they did to bosses like when they get half HP but man some of these bosses were totally brutal.
when they got in berserk mode constantly charging attacking all the time almost no opening problem was not really dodging or blocking but finding the damn opening so I could hit them .

Anyway Il have to do another run some day, probably when all the dlcs will be out and try again to solo everything .

pa22word

I think if you'd drop 3 flamberg thralls in with Abyss Watchers, the Thralls win easily >.>

both stages xD

GulAtiCa

I also maxed out the Warriors of Sunlight, Rosaria's Fingers, Mound-Makers, Aldrich Faithful covenants last night too. After I beat the game, I turned those in to get my items. Still need to do the Watchdogs of Farron too, but I'm half way through that, as it's an easy farm. Blades of the Darkmoon will be a bitch and a half to do. I luckily got 2 extra Proofs last few days for helping people. I'm going to wait till NG+ before I even try farming again.

Question for those at end game/NG+ and beyond and are no longer leveling up. What level are you? Since I'm a pyro build, thinking of going to at least 120, maybe 125 to help max out Int/Faith to 40/40 and increase Attument a little bit more for more FP.

I should note that I really don't care about dueling. But I do want to keep invade/get invaded. So want to make sure i'm in same kind of range of everyone else.

Ferr986

Fucking assholes evading my swings like nothing. They drive me nuts.

I also maxed out the Warriors of Sunlight, Rosaria's Fingers, Mound-Makers, Aldrich Faithful covenants last night too. After I beat the game, I turned those in to get my items. Still need to do the Watchdogs of Farron too, but I'm half way through that, as it's an easy farm. Blades of the Darkmoon will be a bitch and a half to do. I luckily got 2 extra Proofs last few days for helping people. I'm going to wait till NG+ before I even try farming again.

Question for those at end game/NG+ and beyond and are no longer leveling up. What level are you? Since I'm a pyro build, thinking of going to at least 120, maybe 125 to help max out Int/Faith to 40/40 and increase Attument a little bit more for more FP.

I should note that I really don't care about dueling. But I do want to keep invade/get invaded. So want to make sure i'm in same kind of range of everyone else.

120/125 seems a good level to stop, considering it's the current meta.

I started NG+ at 95, I stopped leveling at 115, right now I'm at the
Castle
and it has been really easy. Probably the easiest NG+ on all Souls games. The HP bump on bosses doesn't seem enough for those levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom