• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea, this. Lots of Gaffers missed it this way. It was a poorly implemented encounter due to how you can totally miss him and yet it triggers the next step.

I totally missed Patches in NG. Can you tell me exactly how to trigger and meet him in NG+? I am hesitating in buying the 20k Tower Key just because I do not want to fuck his questline.

I already met Siegmeyer in Undead Settlement and did his quest part there.

Can I safely open the Tower now and find Patches?

Kaibutsu

So the credits rolled last night with the
Usurpation of Fire
ending at 75 hours and a character at level 119. It was a hell of a ride that I enjoyed immensely but I don't know if I will go back to it on new game plus to get the remaining trophies or endings. Like others the hardest boss for me was the N
ameless King
but no boss took me more than 4 tries. That being said I did use some npc summons on some on the boss fights just because I liked seeing the npc character fights and making up my own lore on why they were fighting these bosses. So my ranking of of Souls/Borne games are Dark Souls II, Bloodborne, Dark Souls III, Demon's Souls & finally Dark Souls

LiK

I totally missed Patches in NG. Can you tell me exactly how to trigger and meet him in NG+? I am hesitating in buying the 20k Tower Key just because I do not want to fuck his questline.

I already met Siegmeyer in Undead Settlement and did his quest part there.

Can I safely open the Tower and find Patches now?

Yes, buy the key.
go up Tower as normal to get the Firekeeper Soul and go back down the same elevator. Patches will now be there behind the now locked gate.

Thanks to the poster that recommended
cleansing chapel bonfire
for purple summons. I put my soapstone down there and got fights very quickly. The only downside was a lot of the people summoned me specifically to duel but used estus :( Still had some really fun fights though. Some invaders had great etiquette waiting for duels to be finished, but I wish they would attack the host when they use estus while dueling.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
More newbie questions time!

I should preface that I'm playing with the Fextralife wiki walkthrough so I don't miss anything. The story and exploration isn't something I care TOO much about...I'm more enjoying the gameplay experience.

1. I just realized that I have 3 covenant items, but I don't know what they're for.

2. I have no idea how online works. I've never been invaded nor have I ever tried to invade anyone or go into co-op. I don't love the idea of randomly having someone spawn into my game and killing me (thus making me lose all my souls) when I'm trying to move forward in the game. But I feel like someone could make the online side of things make more sense to me to see if it's something I should start doing.

3. I keep reading about killing certain NPCs. Why would I do this? More often than not, I'm reading that I should just go on a murder spree before I start NG+.

4. Will there be enough mats to upgrade any weapon I want, or will I have to be selective on this?

5. Are there any truly missable items up to the final boss, or will I be able to go back and get shit that I forget/leave behind/don't know about?

Lyng

Yes, buy the key.
go up Tower as normal to get the Firekeeper Soul and go back down the same elevator. Patches will now be there behind the now locked gate.

Why would you want the firekeepers soul though? Doesnt it ruin the ending using that?

With sign out I mean, the game prompts you to pick a profile, choose sign out there, and it will prompt you to pick a profile to sign in. Not sure if it does anything but that seems to work for me.

Thanks man.

I'll try that next time.

I have a question about the ashen estus flask and FP, FP is new in DS3, right? It says it's required to use spells and skills. What are these skills? Is that the same as the new weapon arts?

zma1013

Why can't i use the Ashen Estus Flask at the bonfire? I just killed the first boss, but there's no option for that.

Not sure exactly what the issue is, did you miss picking it up in the tutorial area? Are you trying to allot the flasks? Are you just trying to drink it? What isn't working exactly?

mxgt

Banned
I'm not enjoying marcus's playthrough as much as i thought i would tbh,maybe i prefer when he knows all the details and secrets.
Kinda more interested about Kai's,let's hope she doesn't skip this one too.

I can understand this view, but some of the vitriol I've seen because he misses things on a blind playthrough is crazy.

Admittedly, it is youtube comments. I even missed the Patches trigger on NG, I just didn't notice him in the tower.

strafer

I can understand this view, but some of the vitriol I've seen because he misses things on a blind playthrough is crazy.

Admittedly, it is youtube comments. I even missed the Patches trigger on NG, I just didn't notice him in the tower.

He has disabled the comments on youtube.

Also, I'm enjoying his playthrough.

LiK

Why would you want the firekeepers soul though? Doesnt it ruin the ending using that?

Nope,
even after you give it to her, you don't need to ever use that function if you're going for one of the endings. Or just never give it to her but you need to have gone up there for it to trigger Patches to appear from what I know.

He has disabled the comments on youtube.

Also, I'm enjoying his playthrough.

I'm glad he disabled comments. He's not reading them anyway and it's just a hot mess of whining too.

Not sure exactly what the issue is, did you miss picking it up in the tutorial area? Are you trying to allot the flasks? Are you just trying to drink it? What isn't working exactly?

Nah, it was my bad. I thought i had to fill it myself. I'm at the shrine now and all is good. I'm going to grab that nice manual that came with the game. man i was surprised to see a really well done manual and in colour with the game.

Lyng

Nope,
even after you give it to her, you don't need to ever use that function if you're going for one of the endings. Or just never give it to her but you need to have gone up there for it to trigger Patches to appear from what I know.

I'm glad he disabled comments. He's not reading them anyway and it's just a hot mess of whining too.

ahh I see. Thanks :)

Oh man, all this new stuff. Right now i'm going for a knight build, could always change later. I have 3 normal estus and 1 ashen estus now. I am not yet using spells and skills haven't been introduced. I assume skills come later?

FUUUUUCk Fuck Fuck Fuck I just was at
Irithyll Valley
and went into the room where
Anri
is, read a note that said "Huh, And Then Pilgrim" So naturally I swung at the wall. Fuckin closed off
the whole Yuria Questline and Possibly Anri's now, who knows
. So Mad, now I have to do it all over again to get the
Best Ending
. Shit.

Went back and axed
Yuria though
and got the stuff from the handmaiden.

So angry for doing that.

dude

dude
Farron Greatsword or Wolf Knight's Greatsword?

Farron Greatsword's skill is dope as hell. Don't know about damage or anything like that because I'm not using it, but it looks amazing.

I'm still rocking the Executioner Greatsword. Been thinking about switching to the Exile Greatsword once I upgrade my carry weight, because it's infuse-able.

Kazuhira

Yeah,such a childish attitude..give the man a break ffs.
Although i rolled my eyes so hard when he started ranting because he was expecting to meet Velka.

More newbie questions time!

I should preface that I'm playing with the Fextralife wiki walkthrough so I don't miss anything. The story and exploration isn't something I care TOO much about...I'm more enjoying the gameplay experience.

1. I just realized that I have 3 covenant items, but I don't know what they're for.

2. I have no idea how online works. I've never been invaded nor have I ever tried to invade anyone or go into co-op. I don't love the idea of randomly having someone spawn into my game and killing me (thus making me lose all my souls) when I'm trying to move forward in the game. But I feel like someone could make the online side of things make more sense to me to see if it's something I should start doing.

3. I keep reading about killing certain NPCs. Why would I do this? More often than not, I'm reading that I should just go on a murder spree before I start NG+.

4. Will there be enough mats to upgrade any weapon I want, or will I have to be selective on this?

5. Are there any truly missable items up to the final boss, or will I be able to go back and get shit that I forget/leave behind/don't know about?

1. You can either read the item descriptions or just try them out.

2. Not sure what you're asking exactly, but if you're kindled/ember you can be invaded if your boss in the area is alive. The invader uses a Red Eye Orb to invade, and depending on which covenant they're in, they'll receive a reward if they kill a host. When the invasion is "over", the host will be set on a cooldown so they'll have no more invasions for a while. This does not apply for two covenant areas though - where you'll be invaded more often because you're trespassing their territory. There are also mad phantoms which you can manually summon (via red/pink signs on the floor) if you want to PvP. White signs are phantoms who wants to help, and will disappear if they die or if you defeat a boss.

If you join Way of Blue you have a chance of summoning a Blue Sentinel, who will help you if you're invaded.

3. It depends on the NPC. Sometimes they will go hostile for some reason, and sometimes killing them will be part of a quest. But for the most part people just want to kill them fpr their gear or something. Usually a thing you try before going to NG+.

4. There are definitely enough materials in the game to upgrade several weapons to +5/+10, it just depends on how much you manage to find. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just upgrade a weapon you like to use and make sure to try a few of the ones you find.

5. You can go back and get the items 95% of the time, yes. The things you can miss are mostly related to NPC quests.

Need a break from the final boss, will try after work tomorrow.

Good change of pace after beating both Dark 2 and Bloodborne's on my second try.

bati

Finally got all the cheevos yesterday and now I can't motivate myself to roll another character :(. I already got the caster experience by playing through 90% of NG+ as a pyro using a whip and that was great, completely different experience. Along the way I tried some heavier weapons (FUGS etc) and after not using a shield at all in NG++ where I played a luck bleed build (with caestus for parrying) I've come to the conclusion that the game is biased towards shield + straight sword combo just a little too much. I've never felt like this with DS1 and especially not with DS2 where build variety was absolutely amazing but in DS3 using anything else feels like you're stacking the deck against yourself just for the hell of it. Initially I wanted to replicate my dual fists (caestus because no Vanquisher's Seal ;_;) character but I don't think it would work in a game where enemies are so aggressive, tank through hits like they're nothing and the poise on players doesn't work at all (thanks for making heavy armor irrelevant, From).

tldr: I've got a 120SL Knight with (I think) all the equipment available in the game and roughly 12-15 titanite slabs to upgrade my equipment. Hit me with some good weapon suggestions for pvp (no Dark Sword, Estoc or other straight swords, I've already played those). I'm looking for something with decent reach, decent speed and nice moveset, preferably with a sweeping r1. Bonus points if it can't be parried 2h. (inb4 BKGA)

Styles

Woo, just made a Chikage build and he looks straight out of BB. He even rocks a the bonewheel on his back. Pretty awesome.

Cyborg

??
I always talk with Siegward then send Greirat to the 2nd expedition and it works.

The trigger for failing is not entering the dungeon, because then Siegward moves and Greirat is fucked.

Could be! I did enter the
dungeon
before talking to him.

Ferr986

Farron Greatsword or Wolf Knight's Greatsword?

Wolf is a quality weapon and I think it deals a little more damage. Farron is more DEX based (if I'm not mistaken) and has that crazy ass attack.

Could be! I did enter the
dungeon
before talking to him.

That has to be then. There's an event with him in that area so if you enter the area he moves.

tldr: I've got a 120SL Knight with (I think) all the equipment available in the game and roughly 12-15 titanite slabs to upgrade my equipment. Hit me with some good weapon suggestions for pvp (no Dark Sword, Estoc or other straight swords, I've already played those). I'm looking for something with decent reach, decent speed and nice moveset, preferably with a sweeping r1. Bonus points if it can't be parried 2h. (inb4 BKGA)

I like the Exiled Greatsword a lot but dunno if it's considered good or bad on PvP. I do good with it.

It has the enemies that make you bleed for ten minutes straight.

Use a torch to stop the bleed (it's supposed to be maggots bleeding you and if you take out the torch they leave you alone).

Can anyone tell me what the best chime/talisman is? I did a bit of looking and it seems to depend on how much faith you have and the upgrade level of the chime/talisman. It also appears that spell buff scales with faith. I'm not sure if any of that is correct. I'm just confused. Like is faith scaling or spell buff more important for damage?

I'm currently at 41 faith and using a priests chime plus 7 but it seems that the clerics chime is the best for my faith if it's also plus 7 I think. Can anyone weigh in on this?

myco666

It has the enemies that make you bleed for ten minutes straight and possibly the worst boss in Souls history.

Not even close to worst when have shit like BoC, AD and Vendrick in the series. Deacons are easy but I find the fight to be interesting change of pace and very atmospheric.

I decided to PvP to get a Pale Tongue to relocate my states for NG+. Ran into a guy with a Straight Sword so I switched to an Estoc.

I'm never going to touch PvP in this game again until they turn Poise back on.

Ferr986

Can anyone tell me what the best chime/talisman is? I did a bit of looking and it seems to depend on how much faith you have and the upgrade level of the chime/talisman. It also appears that spell buff scales with faith. I'm not sure if any of that is correct. I'm just confused. Like is faith scaling or spell buff more important for damage?

I'm currently at 41 faith and using a priests chime plus 7 but it seems that the clerics chime is the best for my faith if it's also plus 7 I think. Can anyone weigh in on this?

For what I did read it's Cleric? chime (the starter one) till 40, then Yorshka chime.

Not even close to worst when have shit like BoC, AD and Vendrick in the series. Deacons are easy but I find the fight to be interesting change of pace and very atmospheric.

why :/

DPB

FUUUUUCk Fuck Fuck Fuck I just was at
Irithyll Valley
and went into the room where
Anri
is, read a note that said "Huh, And Then Pilgrim" So naturally I swung at the wall. Fuckin closed off
the whole Yuria Questline and Possibly Anri's now, who knows
. So Mad, now I have to do it all over again to get the
Best Ending
. Shit.

Went back and axed
Yuria though
and got the stuff from the handmaiden.

So angry for doing that.

For what it's worth,
I got that ending and found it underwhelming, you aren't missing a great deal.

Regarding her quest
finishing Anri's is mutually exclusive with Yuria's.

How have you been doing against 2HGSW, pray tell? With my BK GSW build I level the DSS every time I face it. I wonder if it's just people obsessed with Orn or if it's actually a decent weapon.

To be honest, I have a dex build that's about to enter high level play, thus why I wonder :p

Maybe I just got lucky and got stuck with players who weren't proficient with 2H UGS last night, but I kept all of them in check in range and won. The 2H R1 from the Dragonslayer Spear comes out so quick and at such a good range, I can dodge out of the way before their hyper armor kicks in and slice me. The weapon is also surprisingly good for PVE stuff.

For what it's worth,
I got that ending and found it underwhelming, you aren't missing a great deal.

Regarding her quest
finishing Anri's is mutually exclusive with Yuria's.

Yea...shit. Oh well NG+ it is then. I just wanted to complete all the NPC quests in one go. so NG+ I won't have to worry about it. It's how I play these games

Oh man i am getting my ass handed to me by that katana wielding dude outside of Firelink.
Speaking of which, why is there mist blocking that part temporarily after dying? it goes away after few secs.

Ferr986

Yea...shit. Oh well NG+ it is then. I just wanted to complete all the NPC quests in one go. so NG+ I won't have to worry about it. It's how I play these games

tbh Anri and Yuria's quest are totally separate, even if both can get mixed for that
ending
(and you can get the Anri quest rewards within the Yuria quest anyways).

p3n

If you want Greirait to survive the second DO NOT speak to Siegward in the kitchen before Greirat has return from his second trip.

I fcked this section up.

??
I always talk with Siegward then send Greirat to the 2nd expedition and it works.

The trigger for failing is not entering the dungeon, because then Siegward moves and Greirat is fucked.

I don't think that has anything to do with Greirat's 2nd trip:
It is not Siegward who helps him but Patches. Patches will ask you where Greirat went when you initiate the 2nd trip and if you didn't buy Siegward's armor from him, he will then pretend to be Siegward and rescue Greirat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom