• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstevens

Yeah it's amazing. I'm using it with 40STR/40FAI/Lightning Clutch ring and it owns. What's your stat spread? I wouldn't mind more FP to use the weapon skill more...

40 str/30 faith. Might go with a few ashen estus. I just got sacred oath as well can't wait to try that.

FaintDeftone

So what's the consensus on the
Grand Archives
area? I'm there now and it looks a bit intimidating... Am I going to be bashing my head against the wall?

I will say that my big criticism of the game is that they give you this base full of NPCs and there is SO little dialogue and they react to nothing, not Lords of Cinder wins, nothing. It's actually something that really irked me the whole time. It made the NPCs less characters and more talking menus.

The Handmaid reacting to ONE pile of ashes you bring her, ONE, where your decision doesn't even change anything is the ultimate cocktease. Oh will she say something about each ash we bring her? NOPE. The dialogue in this game and it's enormous lack is a huge letdown

tcrunch

The doll only really becomes special once you realize what she represents in the lore.

cCWZYUD.png

I've been Sunbroing at the Twin
Princes
while farming the knights there by the stairs, instant summons and whatnot. Boss goes down quick too.

Also, I infused my Caestus with a Simple gem so I can regen FP every second. Even with a tiny sliver of FP, I can use Warcry on my Black Knight Greataxe. Such a beast of a weapon.

0racle

Guys

Im a DS noob

right now im confused on how to progress my character. I have about level 28 vigor, 50 strength and maybe 40? endurance.

how should i progress without getting diminishing returns?

also I have used the dark sword since I got it very very very early in the game. Is there anything else I should be using?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just got the game. Could souls gaf do me a favor ?

I do not want to read some wikis, but could you guys tell me what the best weapons for a strength build is, how to get it (not that I miss it) and how to spend my level points.

I'm not a fan of magic in these games, so it's all about raw slaying.

Thing is, I have a kid now and only so little time on hand - would greatly appreciate some tips.

Thx

Just got the game. Could souls gaf do me a favor ?

I do not want to read some wikis, but could you guys tell me what the best weapons for a strength build is, how to get it (not that I miss it) and how to spend my level points.

I'm not a fan of magic in these games, so it's all about raw slaying.

Thing is, I have a kid now and only so little time on hand - would greatly appreciate some tips.

Thx

Probably Yhorm's Great Machete but it's a fairly late game boss weapon. Just level up vigor and strength to 40 then do whatever I guess.

A pure strength weapon you can get fairly on is the spiked mace which is a drop from evangelists. It's a pretty brutal weapon with an aggressive move set.

Manu

Lol. I wish I could say that was him trolling but considering some posts I have seen on all Souls games...

I can't remember which Wiki it was (I think it was Bloodborne,) but at some point there was a guy who started editing every article to include supposed allusions to circumcision/male castration in the game and they couldn't do anyting about it. Like, long-ass paragraphs talking about how everything in the game could be connected to circumcision which was equal to male castration and the implications of it in the game's lore.

Toxi

Banned
The Firekeeper isn't just the worst level up waifu, she's one of the worst Soulsborne characters ever. She has zero personality.
You know what?

The Shrine Handmaiden should have been the level up waifu. She's got some funny dialogue, says some new things, and has an actual personality.

Plus, would have been a change of pace from the Maiden in Black-ripoffs.

Dimmle

Guys

Im a DS noob

right now im confused on how to progress my character. I have about level 28 vigor, 50 strength and maybe 40? endurance.

how should i progress without getting diminishing returns?

also I have used the dark sword since I got it very very very early in the game. Is there anything else I should be using?

Since you're evidently going pure strength and 50 strength and 40 endurance are more than enough, put the rest into vigor or vitality if you want heavier armor. Dark Sword is apparently pretty good but you might check out the Fume Ultra Greatsword since you have so much excess strength that you aren't putting to use.

Toxi

Banned
I can't remember which Wiki it was (I think it was Bloodborne,) but at some point there was a guy who started editing every article to include supposed allusions to circumcision/male castration in the game and they couldn't do anyting about it. Like, long-ass paragraphs talking about how everything in the game could be connected to circumcision which was equal to male castration and the implications of it in the game's lore.
How the hell can someone look at Bloodborne and see symbolism of male genitalia?

There's an area called fucking Mensis for crying out loud.

Manu

I guess I'm in the minority that just can't see Demon's as being the best in the series.

Other than atmosphere (and only on some levels,) I can't think of anything it does better than the other games.

I guess I'm in the minority that just can't see Demon's as being the best in the series.

Other than atmosphere (and only on some levels,) I can't think of anything it does better than the other games.

It's not the best on the series for me neither, but pretty close.

Outside of DS3, it has the best and most consistent level design of the series.

Better is completely subjective, of course.

Some prefer the atmosphere, the hub-style world and the faster-paced combat compared to Dark Souls 1 and 2. Sometimes less is more (a feeling I had when playing through Dark Souls 2, for instance), and Demon's Souls feels incredibly solid to me.

Also, being the first in the series has to count for something. Not saying you have to prefer it or even like it really, and I definitely feel as though the series overall has progressed in many ways.

Toxi

Banned
Not really a minority opinion.

My favorite game is Dark Souls 1, partially because it was my first, and partially because I feel the first half of the game is the gold standard for exploration and world design in the series. It was the only game you really felt lonely and lost in, because you couldn't just warp back to a NPC hub at any time.

Yeah we all know the second half of the game has some serious problems, but the first half is something no game since has really tried to replicate.

I'm currently invading people as a mad phantom in the Road of Sacrifices. I've never got into PvP before; this is a lot of fun, especially when a big war breaks out among loads of phantoms.

tariniel

What are some of the better weapons to use with Darkmoon Blade? I finished my proofs the other day and at least want to try out a re-spec to try it after all of that work.

Right now I'm a quality 40/40 str/dex build using Claymore at SL120. I don't really PvP much except for finishing up the covenants... still need to finish up all of the others.

Maybe a dex/faith dual wield build?

Blinck

Not really a minority opinion.

My favorite game is Dark Souls 1, partially because it was my first, and partially because I feel the first half of the game is the gold standard for exploration and world design in the series. It was the only game you really felt lonely and lost in, because you couldn't just warp back to a NPC hub at any time.

Yeah we all know the second half of the game has some serious problems, but the first half is something no game since has really tried to replicate.

This is so true...the non-warp first part of the game was incredible. Really sad that they gone away with it since Dark Souls 2, not really sure why..

Parshias7

Yes she mentions that. Then you go and kill the Abyss Watchers and do Demon Ruins. You even kill Wolnir and are met with the mystic wall in Irythyll.

Then you go to the Cathedral and get the Doll. You even get to talk Anri again after that (I did!).

You never ever go back to Catacombs as you teleport right back to Irythyll.

You are unable to finish Anri quest then.

Is that the wrong order? No... I went to the Cathedral as she said. And I met her in Firelink after that. But how would I know she would be in the Catacombs after that?

There is just no way. That's the problem. Not a single hint other than they went to... Irythyll. But... they cannot be found there! That is not the wrong order - that is a wrong design IMO.

I had something similar happen to me with Siegward. When I was in Irythyll I went down the stairs and entered the Dungeon before I went up the way to the Pope, so he skipped ahead a step in his quest line and now I'm locked out of getting the Miracle he gives you at that point. All because I didn't know ahead of time his exact quest progression.

Oh and then Greirat died because Siegward wasn't there and Patches flat out wouldn't give me the dialog for looking out for him. Double screwed, all because I wanted to see what was over in that direction first.

Fam, I really tried to make the Bandit's Knife work. I used a hollow infusion + Carthus Rouge + Carthus Beacon + Pontiff's Right Eye and had 40 luck. When it worked, it worked brilliantly &#8212; I killed a FUGS user without getting touched in one duel. But that was the exception. The most difficult thing was getting multiple hits in. I thought the advantage to using a knife would be that I'd get in a bunch of hits once I managed to close to gap on my enemy, but that wasn't really the case. I'd land 2, maybe 3 hits before they would roll away. That's not enough to make use of the bleed and damage buff aspects of my items/buffs. Plus, it was an even bigger nightmare than usual to deal with Estoc/Dark Sword users with a knife; with heavy weapons at least you can poise through their bullshit spam attacks and hit them.

I rebirthed from my luck build to a 40/40 str/dex build and now I'm trying out some new weapons: Lucerne, Winged Knight Halberd, Lorian's Greatsword, and Black Knight Sword.

So far the Lucerne is my favorite.

Gbraga

You know what?

The Shrine Handmaiden should have been the level up waifu. She's got some funny dialogue, says some new things, and has an actual personality.

Plus, would have been a change of pace from the Maiden in Black-ripoffs.

I'd like a level up husbando. With Marvelous Chester's voice.

Or just be better than Demon's Souls, heh.

Any Souls game is better than Demon's, fam, even Dark II.

Please abandon your personal opinion and accept mine.

burgerdog

Does anyone else walk holding their shield up/sword(L1/LB) 100% of the time like ENB? I think it's sort of silly, at most it would probably save you ~5 times from surprise attacks. Even then, I don't think this game has cheap attacks that will throw you off and kill you like in DS1 Anor Londo.

LiK

Does anyone else walk holding their shield up/sword(L1/LB) 100% of the time like ENB? I think it's sort of silly, at most it would probably save you ~5 times from surprise attacks. Even then, I don't think this game has cheap attacks that will throw you off and kill you like in DS1 Anor Londo.

Walking with shield is a tradition since Demon's Souls. I did that for all the areas I was worried about when it came to possibility of ambushes.

Toxi

Banned
*raises hand*

Even if it doesn't actually help, I feel safer with it up.

Arjen

In new areas, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom