• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta say after about 35 hours into this, Dark Souls 2 had a more memorable soundtrack. Think that was my favorite OST of the souls games.

My highest rated message is in front of the A
byss
W
atchers
door:

be wary of duo
but praise the trio!

Yay! Got my great axe!

tdrBo.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You sure? I thought it was late game at AL.
Talking about different things, I guess. The ring that regains health on critical hits is indeed the one you are thinking of, but they might be thinking of the Pontiff's Left Eye (which never worked for me tbh).

In fact the closest thing to the regain system is probably the Ring of the Evil Eye, which is given to you by Anri in the Church of Yorshka.

Lorcain

You sure? I thought it was late game at AL.
Pontiff's Left Eye ring transposed from V
ordt's
soul. He would need to kill the C
urse-Rotted
G
reatwood
to unlock boss soul transposition to make the ring.

My bad, not the ring for regaining health on critical hits.

ultron87

I found it very funny that the game makes it look like everything in the first 2/3s was just to
get a ladder in the Lothric Cathedral to lower down about 5 feet.

I found it very funny that the game kind of implies that everything in the first 2/3s was just to

Nah, the lady just wants you to be strong enough before you go there. You can kill her and fight Dancer/use the ladder at any time

Manu

I only left one message in the game and it currently has four votes or something like that.

"Huh? It's a bloodstain... above!" in the area after
Nameless King, where you can see the bloodstains from the fight in the sky, where the clouds were.

Ceravic

I left a tongue but hole message with the Call Over gesture behind a Winged Knight corpse at the High Wall, it's my highest rated message :D

The second highest is "head", on top of a headless statue. Followed closely by "Play dead, skeleton" to a Skeleton corpse near
the fire demon and the mimic, near the entrance to Smouldering Lake.

I love the dumb messages in these games so much, I'm sorry >_<

My highest rated message is in Firelink. It says "Be wary of bleeding but hole". We're all so mature. My second highest is at the bonfire after the
Nameless King that says "King, you bastard".

I finished up the platinum trophy last weekend. Covenant item grinding was one of the most tedious things I've ever done.

0racle

Since you're evidently going pure strength and 50 strength and 40 endurance are more than enough, put the rest into vigor or vitality if you want heavier armor. Dark Sword is apparently pretty good but you might check out the Fume Ultra Greatsword since you have so much excess strength that you aren't putting to use.

vigor and vitality...

so one adds HP the other allows me to use bigger heavier armor and shields? I thought the game is about fashion? are the heavier armors that much better that you would want to waste points to wear it?

That one is my favourite. My second favourite only has one like though. It's either too far-fetched or too dark: "Youth, be wary of cleric" in the Deacons of the Deep boss room

vigor and vitality...

so one adds HP the other allows me to use bigger heavier armor and shields? I thought the game is about fashion? are the heavier armors that much better that you would want to waste points to wear it?

No. They severely nerfed heavy armour compared to previous games

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Lothric Prince is a steep curve up on the difficulty, holy shit. Holding 300.000 souls of mine hostage dammit

Tarkus

The Astora Greatsword is a great weapon with excellent infusion versatility, decent speed for an UGS, fantastic weight at only 8lbs, and a moveset that includes long reaching thrusts, wide sweeping slashes, and a charge that has good tracking. Great weapon. I'd recommend this weapon as a +10 option for almost any build.
I use this weapon a lot in PvE and now I've been trying it out in PvP. I'm really trying to love it but it has some problems. It's a quality weapon, and on my 40/40 build, it does 530 AR normally and 546 Refined; not worth a gem if you ask me. That's rather low for an UGS, especially with such slow swings. Also, the hyperarmor in this weapon is much less than the other large weapons. You cannot expect to trade blows against a lot of weapons without getting staggered. It has terrible stamina consumption for such a light and relatively low damaging sword (I have 40 END). It has a beautiful moveset though and it looks really good, plus you get the 3 hit riposte with the Hornet Ring, killing almost everyone. 8 unit weight is great too. A fucking Claymore is heavier, go figure. Overall, it's a decent weapon for PvE, just not for PvP.

So is there a list of the best big 2h axes, halberds and maybe swords?

Ima use this Black Knight Great Axe, and I enjoy this Winged Knight Halberd, but I'm wondering what else I should level up for NG+.

As much as I like the BKGA, I actually prefer the BK Glaive, and find it's moveset even more fun to use. This weapon is the closest in the game (I think) to being able to play an Obeyrn Martell (GoT) type of fighting style. It has kind of a hopping, twisting R2 attack that can chain into another R2. The weapon art is a spinning move with a follow up attack that has freakishly good tracking. This weapon doesn't require any farming, and can be picked up from a corpse in an optional area.

It's also one of the most overpowered weapons in the game for PvP:

The Necrosis Combo - Dark Souls 3 PVP

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
But which ones are the best?! Haha.

Im sure they are all good, but some are surely better!

that depends on too many factors to say! Just use what feels good, that's the best advice I can give. Personally I'm a big fan of the Greataxe and Lorian's UGS. Black Knight weapons are good. Gundyr's halberd is good.

MilkBeard

Even more shitty is that other character that you can play the "dress the doll" game.

So silly.

Sometimes I wonder if they included the desert sorcerer set for that purpose.

Hey, I kinda liked that character from DS2. I thought it was nice for a change to interact with an NPC in a different way.

I gotta say after about 35 hours into this, Dark Souls 2 had a more memorable soundtrack. Think that was my favorite OST of the souls games.

I thought the DSII soundtrack was a bit lacking, personally. All of the songs in DS3 have been great, in my opinion.

HeelPower

You know what?

The Shrine Handmaiden should have been the level up waifu. She's got some funny dialogue, says some new things, and has an actual personality.

Plus, would have been a change of pace from the Maiden in Black-ripoffs.
She is the best character in the entire firelink.

Her VA did a fantastic job with every line she had.

Guevara

I found it very funny that the game makes it look like everything in the first 2/3s was just to

Yeah, even worse there are
spiral staircases with waist-high gates in the corner of that room.
Really made me laugh.

172326585-red-velvet-rope-barrier-gettyimages.jpg

tariniel

Is there any downside to backing up my save before doing respec or getting one of the endings, and restoring it later if necessary? Is that against the TOS in any way?

I want to backup, get 1 ending, restore, get another ending, for the achievements. I have to do some other quests in NG+ for the other one though.

I'm in PC btw. I know PS4 players can do this with cloud saves but I'd be doing it manually with the save file itself.

Coldsun

Banned
Is there any downside to backing up my save before doing respec or getting one of the endings, and restoring it later if necessary? Is that against the TOS in any way?

I want to backup, get 1 ending, restore, get another ending, for the achievements. I have to do some other quests in NG+ for the other one though.

I'm in PC btw. I know PS4 players can do this with cloud saves but I'd be doing it manually with the save file itself.

Totally fine.

MilkBeard

Yeah, even worse there are
spiral staircases with waist-high gates in the corner of that room.
Really made me laugh.

172326585-red-velvet-rope-barrier-gettyimages.jpg

Yeah I thought that silly at first. But if you look at them, they don't lead anywhere. They aren't connected to the level above. More like visual flair, or part of some strange ritual (probably the former).

knitoe

None. FROM even tells you to backup.

Omg there are rings that you can only get in NG+ and NG++ really??

This is common for DS games. You basically need to finish NG++ at a minimum for a Platinum. In DS2, they at least threw the player a bone and hand an NPC at the NG++ mid-point sell all the rare stuff needed for trophies that were hard to get otherwise.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Welp, I'm finally done with the M
ound-Makers
covenant (alongside the corresponding Achievement). I've been farming for P
roofs of a Concord Kept
and got ten of those, so I'm one third into B
lades of the Darkmoon

At least the enemies that drop the item are in a much more accessible area than the others I was farming before. The drop rate seems to be pretty shitty, though. On par (or somewhat worse) than for V
ertebra Shackles
. But after that, it's just a matter of getting further into NG+ to get to the area where I can turn in my S
unlight Medals
and finally be done with the covenants.

I still have to get all the rings in this NG+ and those in NG++, though!

Spook and the Slumbering Dragon Ring are really over-powered in this game for PvE - You can literally run right up to an enemies back and walk at full pace behind theim and basically just choose when you'd like to backstab them! Feels kind of broken honestly, they were never this good in previous games.

Spook and the Slumbering Dragon Ring are really over-powered in this game for PvE - You can literally run right up to an enemies back and walk at full pace behind theim and basically just choose when you'd like to backstab them! Feels kind of broken honestly, they were never this good in previous games.

Spook is so good that speedruns use it to skip large portions of levels.

Also, Hidden Body makes running from enemies pretty trivial.

JerkShep

Is the performance worse for anyone else on PS4 after the last patch? I'm doing a SL1 and pop in and framerate are noticeably worse than the first time I played through it. It's not my PS4 I think, no changes in other games

On my first playthrough I killed Yhorm the first time I fought him and I had Seigward to help, I didn't even pick up the Stormruler I just kind of hacked at his legs whilst Seigward brought him down. On my second character, I died the first time and it seems you only get one chance with Seigbro? I've now died to to Yhorm half a dozen times, I just can't seem to get enough distance in order to charge up the sword. I must be doing something wrong since this is the easiest boss ever, right... right?! D:

edit - Wait, I thought you had to hold down L2 all the time, didn't realise once it had charged it was ok to let go of L2, doh!

Novocaine

...Stones, right?

Don't even pretend it's the cleavage in her dress that makes players drop "tongue but hole" messages around her, since they do that for just about every female NPC, even the modestly dressed ones. Men are pigs. :(

To be fair, tongue but hole is also littered around half decayed corpses that are bent over a rail or something too. Not going to pretend we aren't pigs, but at least were equal opportunity ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom