• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

Walking with shield is a tradition since Demon's Souls. I did that for all the areas I was worried about when it came to possibility of ambushes.

*raises hand*

Even if it doesn't actually help, I feel safer with it up.

In new areas, yes.

That's interesting, that leads me to my next question: How did you guys play Bloodborne without that mechanic? I never use shields in these games so I didn't feel like I had to adapt in BB. I felt right at home because I play Souls the way that you're expected to play in BB.

LiK

That's interesting, that leads me to my next question: How did you guys play Bloodborne without that mechanic? I never use shields in these games so I didn't feel like I had to adapt in BB. I felt right at home because I play Souls the way that you're expected to play in BB.

BB was jarring for a Souls vet so I had to adapt. basically ended up using the dodge and roll skills from Souls series to make up for lack of shields. Once I got the Ludwig Holy Sword tho, it did bring back my Greatsword skills.

Ferr986

I do the walk with your shield up 24/7, but while fighting sometimes I roll and sometimes I block.

Had no problem going for roll only in BB, the i-frames there are huge.

Toxi

Banned
Oh, I dodge perfectly fine. I fondly remember beating Ornstein and Smough at level 3 with just a +14 Scimitar and the Red Tearstone Ring without getting hit once (granted, it took me a hell of a lot of tries).

I just like holding up a shield when I have one.

The hardest part of Bloodborne for me was getting used to being constantly in the foe's face. I like to play hit and run, but some bosses like Amelia really punish you if you don't go all in.

MilkBeard

Yes she mentions that. Then you go and kill the Abyss Watchers and do Demon Ruins. You even kill Wolnir and are met with the mystic wall in Irythyll.

Then you go to the Cathedral and get the Doll. You even get to talk Anri again after that (I did!).

You never ever go back to Catacombs as you teleport right back to Irythyll.

You are unable to finish Anri quest then.

Is that the wrong order? No... I went to the Cathedral as she said. And I met her in Firelink after that. But how would I know she would be in the Catacombs after that?

There is just no way. That's the problem. Not a single hint other than they went to... Irythyll. But... they cannot be found there! That is not the wrong order - that is a wrong design IMO.

She mentions that she is heading to Irithyl and will perhaps meet you there. So while you are discovering the Catacombs she will be inside it. I went along with it and had no problem finding her. She directs you to the Cathedral and mentions the doll, but I also remember her mentioning that A. wasn't there, and so you needed to head straight for Irythil. In the proper progression you go to Cathedral first after talking with Anri at the Firelink Shrine because she mentions it. Then afterward, she will mention going straight to Irithyl. Hence, you meet her in the Catacombs along the way.

The instant warping does cause some issues with game flow, though. I think they should go back to the DS1 design. A lot of these quests would happen more naturally if that was the case. Especially if people accidentally break sequence.

KHlover

Banned
Enemies seem to attack more agressively when my shield is up for more than a couple seconds, so I only raise it to block incoming attacks.

Lately I've been playing Greatsword anyways, which imo has a much better 2h moveset than 1h - no shield for me!

LiK

Enemies seem to attack more agressively when my shield is up for more than a couple seconds, so I only raise it to block incoming attacks.

Lately I've been playing Greatsword anyways, which imo has a much better 2h moveset than 1h - no shield for me!

Fume sword is a pretty tough shield, hah

tariniel

If I was going to make a Faith build focused primarily on scaling damage with Darkmoon Blade with 60 faith - would I be better off using Raw infusion on the weapon? Or maybe Blessed? Can I still buff Raw/Blessed weapons?

The build I was considering will have barely the stats required to wield my weapon so I don't think relying on stat scaling from str/dex that way would be worth it. Whereas if I go 60 faith and use yorshka's talisman, DMB will scale much higher.

Lorcain

After playing through twice, I have some definite weapon likes/dislikes:

The Dark Sword offers good infusion versatility, and has a good fast R1 for boss fights, but I just can't stand the R2. It's not very effective (R2), which makes the overall moveset pretty limited for me. I took it up to +10 early, and it just hasn't seen a lot of use outside of a couple of boss fights.

The Astora Greatsword is a great weapon with excellent infusion versatility, decent speed for an UGS, fantastic weight at only 8lbs, and a moveset that includes long reaching thrusts, wide sweeping slashes, and a charge that has good tracking. Great weapon. I'd recommend this weapon as a +10 option for almost any build.

The Black Knight Great Axe is a lot of fun to use. It has some steeper equip requirements with 36 Strength, 18 Dex and weighing 19.5lbs. It also has to be farmed from Black Knights in an optional secret area, so there's that too. But I found it a lot of fun to use. The 1H R2 is a flying jump attack that works pretty well in PvE. The warcry buffed R2 attack has an awesome animation with multiple hit points, and can be chained right into another R2 special attack animation. It does loads of damage, and it's a really good looking weapon.

As much as I like the BKGA, I actually prefer the BK Glaive, and find it's moveset even more fun to use. This weapon is the closest in the game (I think) to being able to play an Obeyrn Martell (GoT) type of fighting style. It has kind of a hopping, twisting R2 attack that can chain into another R2. The weapon art is a spinning move with a follow up attack that has freakishly good tracking. This weapon doesn't require any farming, and can be picked up from a corpse in an optional area.

G
undyr's
Halberd
is a very good weapon that has excellent reach and a nice mix of overhead and horizontal slashes. The reason I use this weapon though is because of the crazy weapon art. It became my go to weapon choice for duels against AI invaders and other players. The weapon art is a charge that homes in like a heat seeking missile with a follow up attack that knocks opponents down for a lot of damage. They can be hit while they're knocked down in this position too.

I really like the Drakeblood Greatsword, despite having damage split between physical, magic and lightning. It's like a mini greatsword that combines the movesets from straight sword and greatsword, with the stance weapon art. I've never found the damage to be lacking with the damage split. While the reach is definitely shorter than other greatswords, it weighs only 6lbs, and packs a really good punch. This weapon is located in an optional area, but you do have to earn it :)

The Drang Hammers were the first blunt weapon I took to +10, and they're a blast to use. They wreak havoc in the C
atacombs
, and have a pretty fast dual wielding moveset for as much damage as they do. They also stagger most enemies during the L1 attack chain and the weapon art. While not as fast as the Gotthard Twinswords, they're still a really good blunt weapon choice. I imagine that I'm a pissed off percussionist when I'm using them.

If I want a fast weapon with quick reaction speed, but that still does good damage and has good reach, the Gotthard Twinswords are great. At +10 they do excellent damage during the L1 attack chain. What sets this weapon apart though is the rolling L1 attack that has surprisingly good reach, is very fast to execute, and does good damage. It's like being attacked by an angry wasp that rolls around on the ground. I'm not sure how effective they are in pvp, but it's a great weapon for pve. No farming required to get this weapon. It's literally in your direct path following the story.

Gbraga

Drang Hammers were my weapon of choice for
the Catacombs of Carthus
as well. When a single R1 sent enemies flying, I knew I made the right choice :D

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
@bolded 3
YOU need, not "we". Don't address everyone else like they're part of you.
I agree with this, at least.

I think if you're just playing the games once and want to see all the content, biggest bang for your buck, I can people having this opinion - but for those of us who play the games repeatedly I welcome the hidden areas and cryptic questlines.
Same.

Yes she mentions that. Then you go and kill the Abyss Watchers and do Demon Ruins. You even kill Wolnir and are met with the mystic wall in Irythyll.

Then you go to the Cathedral and get the Doll. You even get to talk Anri again after that (I did!).

You never ever go back to Catacombs as you teleport right back to Irythyll.

You are unable to finish Anri quest then.

Is that the wrong order? No... I went to the Cathedral as she said. And I met her in Firelink after that. But how would I know she would be in the Catacombs after that?
Most people enter the Cathedral first, then the Farron Keep -> Catacombs, then Irithyll.

If you didn't, then okay, but if you specifically want to follow Anri then you know they say they're looking for the Cathedral soooo...

I would've never got the ones where you had to go back
across the bridge
, but I think maybe that's an event you would see if you didn't have the
doll
and had to backtrack?
Good point.

The Firekeeper isn't just the worst level up waifu, she's one of the worst Soulsborne characters ever. She has zero personality.
Eh? If you
give her the eyes
, she starts having more emotions than any previous level up lady in the past games.

None of those women have ever had personalities. Ever. Their popularity has always baffled the hell out of me, and any preference one would have towards a particular one has to be based purely on looks or voice, or something. They are vapid, boring, their dialogue is repetitive and annoying, and levelling up at bonfires was just so much better.
I guess, at least they aren't sexualized (by the designers, anyway -- male players do an ample job of doing that to them).

KingKong

latest ENB ep was good. he even sped up one backtracking section. next boss might be a pain to watch tho :p

yeah that was fun, though his spatial awareness could use some work. I assume he'll go back after the bonfire cause he missed a whole lot of stuff

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
latest ENB ep was good. he even sped up one backtracking section. next boss might be a pain to watch tho :p

Assuming he picks up the item I think he's gonna know what to do pretty quick :p

Tarkus

Eh? If you
give her the eyes
, she starts having more emotions than any previous level up lady in the past games.

None of those women have ever had personalities. Ever. Their popularity has always baffled the hell out of me, and any preference one would have towards a particular one has to be based purely on looks or voice, or something. They are vapid, boring, their dialogue is repetitive and annoying, and levelling up at bonfires was just so much better.
I guess, at least they aren't sexualized (by the designers, anyway -- male players do an ample job of doing that to them).
Stone Trader Chloanne has plenty of personality and is not sexualized in the slightest.

/s

Eh? If you
give her the eyes

IMO the thing with the Firekeeper is
she was stripped of most emotions, she's basically a robot that don't ask questions never asking herself what's actually the best. The fact that they show you how cruelly they are dispossed after completing their task, shows you that for the "good" side is as morally dubious as the bad side.

You may thing what Yuria does to Anri is cruel, but the other side is not much better. I think the firekeeper shows this aspect very well.

What's that shitty line she says...
"I've only one thing to provide...."
Crappy character.

Even more shitty is that other character that you can play the "dress the doll" game.

So silly.

Sometimes I wonder if they included the desert sorcerer set for that purpose.

Deku Tree

How do I cast spells? I learned the heal spell but I only have one of them and it is dimmed out so I don't know how to use it? Do I have to buy more of them every time I use it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh....sorry, I was distracted by using the binoculars to look at my waifu Chloanne.

"Well, I've only one thing to provide, and we both know what that is! Heh heh"
...Stones, right?

Don't even pretend it's the cleavage in her dress that makes players drop "tongue but hole" messages around her, since they do that for just about every female NPC, even the modestly dressed ones. Men are pigs. :(

How do I cast spells? I learned the heal spell but I only have one of them and it is dimmed out so I don't know how to use it? Do I have to buy more of them every time I use it?
You need to equip a talisman or a chime to cast the miracle (or sorcery staff for sorceries, and pyromancy glove for pyromancies).

Deku Tree

...Stones, right?

Don't even pretend it's the cleavage in her dress that makes players drop "tongue but hole" messages around her, since they do that for just about every female NPC, even the modestly dressed ones. Men are pigs. :(

You need to equip a talisman or a chime to cast the miracle (or sorcery staff for sorceries, and pyromancy glove for pyromancies).

Where do I get the staff?

Raiden

Banned
The Abyss Watcher is murdering me as if his life depended on it. I have been stuck on him for at least two hours. I switched from using shield block to roll and dodge. Phase 1 i can manage but phase 2 is too much, he can slice me up in 3 hits. Got him to half a bar once. I watched a video and people play like me or worse but have more health usually. Im level 30 help me..

kagamin

Even more shitty is that other character that you can play the "dress the doll" game.

So silly.

Sometimes I wonder if they included the desert sorcerer set for that purpose.

No freaking way, I saw a person who gave her the desert sorcerer set and it has no physics on her at all (like all other armor sets you can give her), its super jarring...

Gbraga

I left a tongue but hole message with the Call Over gesture behind a Winged Knight corpse at the High Wall, it's my highest rated message :D

The second highest is "head", on top of a headless statue. Followed closely by "Play dead, skeleton" to a Skeleton corpse near
the fire demon and the mimic, near the entrance to Smouldering Lake.

I love the dumb messages in these games so much, I'm sorry >_<

cm osi

...Stones, right?

there are tongue but hole in front of statues and corpses, don't worry. tongues for everyone!

Lorcain

The Abyss Watcher is murdering me as if his life depended on it. I have been stuck on him for at least two hours. I switched from using shield block to roll and dodge. Phase 1 i can manage but phase 2 is too much, he can slice me up in 3 hits. Got him to half a bar once. I watched a video and people play like me or worse but have more health usually. Im level 30 help me..
This fight is kind of a curve ball in the early DS3 boss fight lineup in that unlike previous DS traditions, you're best off putting the shield away and going all out aggressive for phase 2. Like you mentioned, dodging and rolling and then attacking him when he's open. It's like a Bloodborne fight in that you want to keep the pressure on while moving and rolling. He is staggered easy, which you'll notice when you get in a few hits. To solo this fight you need good timing on your rolls and counterattacks. And when you get the opportunity, you're supposed to go to town on him, not be conservative.

Edited to add that I think your stamina is more important in this fight than your health for melee.

LiK

He's basically a BB boss. You need to be aggressive and dodge instead of block. He has no poise so you can do a lot of damage to him by getting up close and personal.

Tarkus

I never left a "tongue but hole" near Chloanne, but I did write "time for thrust attack, eventually projectile" at the butt of those naked statues in Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne. It was my highest rated message ever.

Come on, gotta have some fun in these games. :p

bati

Does anyone know the optimal level ranges to get summoned as Watchdog or Aldrich in NG? I just spent roughly 2 hours in the swamp, went from level 22 to 33 and weapon upgrade +1 to +3 and got a total of 2 summons in this time (PC, fwiw). Am I underleveled, overleveled? I just want some pvp action ;_;.

kagamin

I put my shield away and have been going all Bloodbourne on DS3. When do I get a parry ring that grants some health back?

Not using a shield hs been a viable playstyle since Demon's Souls, dunno why it necessarily has to be associated with Bloodborne (I used to carry curved swords in my off hand to parry, TOO BAD THEY GOT RID OF THAT!).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I never left a "tongue but hole" near Chloanne, but I did write "time for thrust attack, eventually projectile" at the butt of those naked statues in Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne. It was my highest rated message ever.

Come on, gotta have some fun in these games. :p
Sure. I like them when they are creative, at least. I saw one in front of the Firekeeper in DS3 saying, "Be wary of crabs, eventually bleeding" and I laughed out loud. One of my highest rated message is a goofy one saying "Dwarf required ahead" in front of a small opening in the ground, and one that says "Could this be a woman? or man?" in front of Anri.

"tongue but hole" or "try finger" in front of every bent-over corpse, though, get old really fast.

I put my shield away and have been going all Bloodbourne on DS3. When do I get a parry ring that grants some health back?
Shortly before A
ldrich

I left a tongue but hole message with the Call Over gesture behind a Winged Knight corpse at the High Wall, it's my highest rated message :D

The second highest is "head", on top of a headless statue. Followed closely by "Play dead, skeleton" to a Skeleton corpse near
the fire demon and the mimic, near the entrance to Smouldering Lake.

I love the dumb messages in these games so much, I'm sorry >_<

Yeah, my most rated messages are also the dumb (and not quite PC) ones; "Ah, madness..." in front of the Mound-maker altar, "Dwarf required ahead" in front of one of the holes where rats creep out from in the Undead Settlement, "Giant, but hole" in front of the ledge where
the giant sweeps at you in the cathedral
and "Rear ahead, if only I had a ladder" in front of one of the elevated bent-over statues in front of the Pontiff Sulyvahn boss room.

One of my highest rated message is a goofy one saying "Dwarf required ahead" in front of a small opening in the ground

Great minds think alike
except for when it comes to Phantasy Star IV and the definition of JRPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom