• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm... mad as hell. I just watched as Lobos Jr killed Abyss Watchers on his first try, using 3 Estus and a slow-ass Greatsword.

And they killed me around 10 times :(

The dude is a God in PvE, he got to the point where he ran out of ideas to challenge himself so he just hacked lol. In DaS 2 he's done no blocking and no shielding, he's done no death no bonfire, I think he beat the game with a broken ladle at one point. Don't compare yourself to him, he's beyond our levels </3.

Prince lothric...the first boss I can't beat. I almost one shotted every other boss but this mofo...

Really? How many attempts did it take against A
ldrich
and P
ontiff Sulyvahn
? Funny enough I beat Lothric in I think three attempts. I forgot what level though, I may have been overleveled from all the Co-oping.

I love it. You can actually see the progression where dark soul scientists realized that ancient dragons are birds and not lizards and so nameless king decided to be on the right side and add feathers.

Imma use this for my Dark Souls creature ecology video series. It'll be part 5, situated nicely between Parts 1-4 about Crabs and parts 6-9 also about Crabs.

Jombie

Man watching this ENB first walk through is painful it's like he never played a souls game so many amateur mistakes it baffling. Maybe him working on guide is how he got good.

I quit watching after he purposefully died to Aldrich just so he could "learn" the stupid arrow attack. I think I'm just sick of this game and the community as a whole.

I actually think the P
ontiff
fight is one of the top 3 in the game. Like, that fight is straight fucking legit and enjoy that the difficulty kinda reinforces the lore of how important a figure he is even if he's not a Lord of Cinder and you fight him with no preamble out of nowhere.

I think the dude is actually a mover and shaker.

So how exactly does Anri's Straight sword work? It scales off luck? Is it still good?

It's used in some speedrun categories, so most definitely. Be warned, it doesn't count as a hollow weapon, so you need 40 Luck (or 35 luck with one +10 hollow weapon or shield in your off hand).

Deku Tree

Provided you are playing in PS4, I can give you all the rings in the game for the Master of Rings trophy if you want.

I'm also opening this offer to any of my fellow PS4-playing gaffers wishing to get all the rings without the bother of actually going to NG++. Just ring me up :)

Just be forewarned that I am GMT+7 though, hahah.

A side note, the fact that you can't trade covenant items is crap though... sigh

Oh wow I just saw this. Yeah I'd be really happy to get all the rings from you. I'm on PS4.

PSN DekuBleep

I don't know how to do it though, so I'd need an explanation.

Skii

This whole play session was just WOW

So I ended up going below Lothric Castle and went into the boss room only to face what I thought was Seath the Scaleless. With Gwyndolin being devoured by Aldrich, I wouldn't have been surprised if Seath managed to survive. But it was King Ocieros. I defeated him first try. Very easy boss.

Anyway, I open the doors behind the boss room and all I find there is a shitty gesture. I just knew that couldn't be it. I had no hints about the room because I couldn't connect to online today. Anyway, I take a stab in the dark and hit the wall at the end to find out it's a hidden wall and I'm taken to a whole new area! That felt ridiculously cool without any hints.

I go through the area and it's pretty ruthless with the dogs and those dual wielding witches. I make progress through the area until a find a path that looks very familiar. Lo and behold, there are two massive crystal lizards. At that point I knew I was in the tutorial area once again.

I continue until I enter the boss room with CHAMPION GUNDYR. That fight was fucking epic! This was already one of favourite fights in the Souls series because of how epic the music was and they just took it up a notch with this secret area. It was one of the best moments in Souls period.

I finally reach Firelink Shrine and there's basically nothing there. It reminded me of the Abandoned Workshop from Bloodborne. I did see the old woman selling Artorias' set which I'll buy later (based fashion souls!). And then I stumble across the black eyes of the fire keeper(?). I just returned to Firelink Shrine and Ludleth finally gives me some info on them. I don't think I'm going to turn them into the Firekeeper. I feel like it's going to affect which ending I may get.

What a cool area though!

Anyway, I just wanted to know if
the abandoned Firelink shrine area
had anything special about it other than the
black eyes of the firekeeper
?

In Lothric Castle, I've defeated
Dragonslayer Armour and King Ocieros
. With that knowledge in mind, how many possible endings are there for DS3? Without spoilers of course.

xorx

Banned
It's used in some speedrun categories, so most definitely. Be warned, it doesn't count as a hollow weapon, so you need 40 Luck (or 35 luck with one +10 hollow weapon or shield in your off hand).

So an off hand hollow weapon boosts the AR? Or are you saying Hollow weapons boost the luck stat?

Sorry I just don't understand the luck/hollowing mechanic too well.

mulac

Started NG+ last night finally with my STR build at level 136.

Jesus its easy - got through first 3 bosses insanely fast and calling in help from my Sunbro's for those sweet sweet covenant items.

mulac

Dear FROM,

Please put chalice dungeons in the DLC.

Thx.

Actually I echo this - put the Chalice Dungeons in and add the ability to farm items/covenant ranks. Given the state of online and PVP this would help alot.

Plus I actually really enjoyed wandering around the Dungeons in Bloodborne - kept the replayability strong.

tariniel

Anyway, I just wanted to know if
the abandoned Firelink shrine area
had anything special about it other than the
black eyes of the firekeeper
?

In Lothric Castle, I've defeated
Dragonslayer Armour and King Ocieros
. With that knowledge in mind, how many possible endings are there for DS3? Without spoilers of course.

I also had a "woah" moment when I realized what area I was in, and seeing the abandoned shrine. Super cool. There are 3 possible endings (that grant achievements), but unless you followed a guide for some NPC quests, you probably will only have a choice of 1 or 2 of them at this point.

So an off hand hollow weapon boosts the AR? Or are you saying Hollow weapons boost the luck stat?
Hollow weapons boost the Luck stat, but Anri's Sword does not, so you need ot take that into account when deciding what to level your luck to.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, I'm 20
Proofs of a Concord Kept
in. 10 more to go and I'm finally done farming for the covenant items and spells!

I don't think I'm going to turn them into the Firekeeper. I feel like it's going to affect which ending I may get.

You can use the item and, yes,
it does affect the ending you get.
But
you will be able to choose whether you want one ending or the other when you get there. They are mutually exclusive, but you're free to take your time to choose whichever you want. Neither triggers automatically after the final fight.

Skii

I also had a "woah" moment when I realized what area I was in, and seeing the abandoned shrine. Super cool. There are 3 possible endings (that grant achievements), but unless you followed a guide for some NPC quests, you probably will only have a choice of 1 or 2 of them at this point.

Okay that's interesting. Taking the Bloodborne route I'm assuming. DS2 fucked up massively with just the one ending before the patch so glad to see they rectified it.

I don't mind what ending I get. I healed the Dark Sigil some time ago as I knew it was hollowing me (whatever that is in this game). I just imagine that's linked with the "bad" ending.

That's an odd thing to find in a chest though, right?

It wasn't in a chest. It was an item on a corpse I believe

Soulhouf

Spent 2 hours playing with the glitched Sacred Flame.
That shit needs to be patched ASAP. I only used it to destroy gank squads though so I don't feel bad about it.

Dimmle

Fair warning: if you come at me with a dual wielding bleed build, I'm going to run, drink estus, and generally do anything to end you. Nothing personal, your build is just dumb.

So I have a question and a request. Here's the scenario. I need to restart my character as Sorc stats are trash and I cannot get the optimal stat allocation I want because of Sorcs having a base luck score of 12. I went from Sorc to Pyromancer not taking into account base stats. I'm going to remake my Pyromancer but I want to transfer over about 12-15 rings, 3 armor sets, as all of these items have no restrictions. At what point in the game do I need to be at where I can invite someone to trade with via summon? After I get to Firelink? Highwall of Lothric? Undead Settlement? In terms of the trade I'm guessing a passworded game would be best. Anyone got a few minutes to spare to assist with this on the PS4. PSN = Timeless_Strife

Skii

Well, I'm 20
Proofs of a Concord Kept
in. 10 more to go and I'm finally done farming for the covenant items and spells!

You can use the item and, yes,
it does affect the ending you get.
But
you will be able to choose whether you want one ending or the other when you get there. They are mutually exclusive, but you're free to take your time to choose whichever you want. Neither triggers automatically after the final fight.

So if I use
the item, I get a choice of two mutually exclusive endings whilst not using it gives me a 3rd separate ending?

Hikami

All achievements get!

Endings spoilers
Man, all of the endings sucked. The secret one in particular wasn't really even worth all that effort. It's not just the endings either, starting to dislike how these games handle their narrative as a whole.

Now to wait for the DLC I guess.

So I have a question and a request. Here's the scenario. I need to restart my character as Sorc stats are trash and I cannot get the optimal stat allocation I want because of Sorcs having a base luck score of 12. I went from Sorc to Pyromancer not taking into account base stats. I'm going to remake my Pyromancer but I want to transfer over about 12-15 rings, 3 armor sets, as all of these items have no restrictions. At what point in the game do I need to be at where I can invite someone to trade with via summon? After I get to Firelink? Highwall of Lothric? Undead Settlement? In terms of the trade I'm guessing a passworded game would be best. Anyone got a few minutes to spare to assist with this on the PS4. PSN = Timeless_Strife

Just need to get to Highwall of Lothric to be able to trade with someone via summon. I can help, but until I get home (3 hours from now).

mulac

Question:
i met Leonhard and defeated the DarkWraith in the prison room to get the RedEye and Leonhard has pointed me to Rosaria to join her covenant..
.can I kill him now?

kagamin

Question:
i met Leonhard and defeated the DarkWraith in the prison room to get the RedEye and Leonhard has pointed me to Rosaria to join her covenant..
.can I kill him now?

You get to kill him at the end of his questline. Be patient. :p

Sarcasm

The online in this game sucks major butt, how do people like this?

Oh summon someone..here is freaking 4 dudes with giant swords and some bad netcode! Enjoy!

Read the comments on the video. Poise has nothing to do with hyper armor.

Watch the video. Yes it does. We have a poise stat in the game and it affects something. That something happens to be Hyper Armor frames. At 0 poise the player isnt able to Hyper Armor through an attack. At 1 poise the player is able to hyper armor through an attack.

Just because the poise stat doesnt work like Dark Souls 1, where you can stand still and not be flinched, doesnt mean its not functioning in some way in Dark Souls 3.

The game in question is Dark Souls 3 and in Dark Souls 3 poise does have an affect, albeit small and hard to test for.

I'm super early in and haven't used weapon skills at all. Just sword and shield, main two attack buttons and blocks. Am I missing out and handicapping myself? I honestly just keep forgetting they are there and haven't had much trouble with non-boss enemies yet.

I also haven't successfully parried once. I'm using the Knight Shield right now, sometimes a red and white shield, both of which should be able to parry. I parried all the time in DS1 so not sure why I'm having so much trouble now.

kagamin

I'm super early in and haven't used weapon skills at all. Just sword and shield, main two attack buttons and blocks. Am I missing out and handicapping myself? I honestly just keep forgetting they are there and haven't had much trouble with non-boss enemies yet.

I also haven't successfully parried once. I'm using the Knight Shield right now, sometimes a red and white shield, both of which should be able to parry. I parried all the time in DS1 so not sure why I'm having so much trouble now.

Parrying doesn't have instant start-up like in Dark Souls 1, its like Dark Souls 2 parrying.

Juraash

I spent a huge chunk of the early game not using weapon arts, especially when I had parry shields on. That said, weapon arts can be super useful. The long swords ability to guard break and then follow up with a critical/riposte attack is god tier against tanky enemies. I wound up moving more towards shields whose L2 allowed you to immediately go into weapon arts. That's not to say you're handicapping yourself by not using them, but some are quite good and can be worked into your playstyle very effectively.

Mokoi

Banned
Just launched the game and got summoned. I feel so bad for those who never do. Also two against three. Invaders had a fair chance but sucked.
26867331772_df08ebc96c_c.jpg

pa22word

Watch the video. Yes it does. We have a poise stat in the game and it affects something. That something happens to be Hyper Armor frames. At 0 poise the player isnt able to Hyper Armor through an attack. At 1 poise the player is able to hyper armor through an attack.

Just because the poise stat doesnt work like Dark Souls 1, where you can stand still and not be flinched, doesnt mean its not functioning in some way in Dark Souls 3.

The game in question is Dark Souls 3 and in Dark Souls 3 poise does have an affect, albeit small and hard to test for.

At 1 poise, meaning essentially every armor in the game grants hyper armor.

The stat itself as a measurement does nothing. Having 10 poise or 50 poise, or having a fucking ring (a ring that even has a damned +2 version ffs) on that's sole purpose is to increase poise, does nothing.

The stat is either broken or does nothing.

Anyone have an issue in another player's world where inputs sometimes do nothing at all? I can't count how many times I tap B to backstep and my guy just stands there and gets hit. If it were lag he would backstep a second later or whatever, but it's like the input is just ignored.

At 1 poise, meaning essentially every armor in the game grants hyper armor.

The stat itself as a measurement does nothing. Having 10 poise or 50 poise, or having a fucking ring (a ring that even has a damned +2 version ffs) on that's sole purpose is to increase poise, does nothing.

The stat is either broken or does nothing.

like I said. The stat does affect something. I never said it was implemented well. No one has tested for how it affects different weapons at different levels of poise, but that would be a daunting task and something From should just tell the community.

Their unwillingness to elaborate tells me its implementation is most likely undercooked or was made binary because balancing it would take a lot of work.

So technically no, poise isnt broken because it isnt useless.

How Poise works in Ds3

This is what poise does.

Its in there and has a purpose.

No one has tested how much of an impact higher poise has on different weapon hyper armor swings. This video proves the stat has a purpose. People just need to go more in depth with the testing.

Or From could fucking tell us.

If only From could stop with their dumbass obscure bullshit for just once and explain why and how a stat that has been in all the games works differently in 3.

if only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom