• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velikost

Question regarding ending in spoilers below:

I used the USB save workaround to get all 3 endings in one playthrough. Is there a certain ending I should be carrying into NG+? I know I lose my Dark Sigils but still retain my hollowing level. Will that affect anything? Just want to know what ending to stick with before I start unlocking stuff further.

I'm going through the game as a new character with the Spiked Mace, (my first heavy weapon build in a Souls game) and I'm wondering what infusion would be best for it?
I started as a Deprived, and I'm currently at 40 strength, 15 luck, 12 int/fth, and 10 for everything else; I'm hollowed as well. I want to take advantage of bleed, but I'm not sure what to choose between standard, heavy, bleed, or hollow to infuse it with. I'm probably gonna be using Carthus Rouge to apply bleed to it to more than likely.

If you are using Carthus Rouge then make it heavy imo, it's my favourite weapon at the moment. I can't get enough of the R1,L2,R2 combo. Almost always bleeds players and is great for managing 2v1s

GulAtiCa

Lol. Invaded in a world that was already a 1v3, so became a 2v3. But the Sunbro invader decided he wanted to try to kill me... Not very jolly invading co-op spirit of him... So, after he killed 2 of the summons, right before he tried to kill the host. I killed him, the invader instead, and left the host's world as a kind of payback.

neoism

Anyone with ps4 version can confirm me how its the framerate, by comparison i had almost no problems with bloodborn.

I am thinking about buying it but if framerate is super bad i wait and buy something else.

its better than BB lol but still gets 20-26 in spots but definitely better

Dark Souls III [OT++] Why can't we poise the game?

If we have a poll I have not doubt this would be the winner, this has to be the next thread title.

Regarding poise, my take is the poise stat is actually hyper-armour just From were too lazy to change it.

On the brightside the lack of poise does encourage to partake in Fashion Souls, if there's no point in wearing full havels, might as well look fabulous.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
like I said. The stat does affect something. I never said it was implemented well. No one has tested for how it affects different weapons at different levels of poise, but that would be a daunting task and something From should just tell the community.

Their unwillingness to elaborate tells me its implementation is most likely undercooked or was made binary because balancing it would take a lot of work.

So technically no, poise isnt broken because it isnt useless.

An official explanation wouldn't hurt, for sure.
I don't think it's supposed to be some obscure thing that they wanted people to figure out... It was just supposed to be a part of the underlying mechanics. You're probably right about it being a little undercooked.

As far as I understand it, Poise isn't permenantly "disabled" like a lot of people have come to think. But it's also not a passive thing like it was in Dark 1. It activates when you perform certain actions that have hyper armour (some heavy/charged attacks, weapon skills, etc.). The actual Poise stat in the player status screen governs how much damage you take during hyper armour. The higher your Poise, the less damage you take while tanking.

But yes, it's apparent that implementation wasn't perfect, and balancing that extra damage reduction (absorption?) isn't a simple task. It likely feels broken because they didn't want to overdo it. Considering all the other percentages and formulas going on that take weapons/attacks/armour/status/buffs into account, adjustments will have to be very slight, because otherwise you'll quickly have a flipping Havel or Giant Dad situation on your hands.

Bluenoser

Man watching this ENB first walk through is painful it's like he never played a souls game so many amateur mistakes it baffling. Maybe him working on guide is how he got good.

Give him a break, he's not a pro or anything. He just enjoys the games, same as everyone else. I find he's got pretty good instincts considering he's playing blind. He's missed a lot of stuff, but that's to be expected, as he's trying not to hang around areas too long and bore the viewers. I don't watch ENB for his skills at the game anyway- I watch for his perspective on the lore, and relationships to the previous games.

Check out distortion2 if you want to see someone good at the game. Dude holds the any % and all bosses speedrun records right now.

On the brightside the lack of poise does encourage to partake in Fashion Souls, if there's no point in wearing full havels, might as well look fabulous.
S
mough's
Set seems to be the new Havel's as far as wearing heavy armor goes, it has more defenses for just a bit more weight, and Havel's Greatshield provides the stability needed to negate hitstun.

Check out distortion2 if you want to see someone good at the game. Dude holds the any % and all bosses speedrun records right now.
Lobos Jr. as well, who does a lot of challenge runs that require a lot of consistency in dodging boss attacks.

If only From could stop with their dumbass obscure bullshit for just once and explain why and how a stat that has been in all the games works differently in 3.

if only

Poise has worked differently in each game.

DeS had hyper armor just like Ds3

Ds1 had passive poise(standing still and not being staggered) which allowed poise backstabs and sloppy play because you could just walk through attacks with enough of it. So everyone chose to have poise. That or you were ninja flipping. No inbetween

Ds2 has poise but it would deplete the more you were hit and regen slowly. The hyper armor was no where near as good as Ds3 or DeS but it worked in tandem with poise. Since poise regens so slowly heavy armor users would get 2 hit staggered all the time anyway. Just like in Ds3.

BB has no poise, obviously. And hyper armor is nearly non existent. But it make sense because of how fast the game is.

They do need to tell us what exactly it does, or just hide the stat all together.

An official explanation wouldn't hurt, for sure.
I don't think it's supposed to be some obscure thing that they wanted people to figure out... It was just supposed to be a part of the underlying mechanics. You're probably right about it being a little undercooked.

As far as I understand it, Poise isn't permenantly "disabled" like a lot of people have come to think. But it's also not a passive thing like it was in Dark 1. It activates when you perform certain actions that have hyper armour (some heavy/charged attacks, weapon skills, etc.). The actual Poise stat in the player status screen governs how much damage you take during hyper armour. The higher your Poise, the less damage you take while tanking.

But yes, it's apparent that implementation wasn't perfect, and balancing that extra damage reduction (absorption?) isn't a simple task. It likely feels broken because they didn't want to overdo it. Considering all the other percentages and formulas going on that take weapons/attacks/armour/status/buffs into account, adjustments will have to be very slight, because otherwise you'll quickly have a flipping Havel or Giant Dad situation on your hands.

Yup couldnt agree more. And very interesting about it reducing damage taken in hyper armor frames. I havent seen anyone test that. I feel like it would be hard to test since we know at least .1 poise is enough for hyper armor to be activated and adding more poise doesnt change much. And by adding more poise(i.e. putting on more armor) obviously means getting more defenses which would naturally mean higher damage reduction.

Im definitely leaning on it being undercooked. They likely went with Hyper Armor and an easy activator(.1 poise) for them to not run into any major balancing issues like you suggest. Funny thing is, if they didnt include the stat at all or any items that specifically raise poise no one would be the wiser and just take it that the game draws heavily from Demon's in terms of combat design.

Tarkus

Give him a break, he's not a pro or anything. He just enjoys the games, same as everyone else. I find he's got pretty good instincts considering he's playing blind. He's missed a lot of stuff, but that's to be expected, as he's trying not to hang around areas too long and bore the viewers. I don't watch ENB for his skills at the game anyway- I watch for his perspective on the lore, and relationships to the previous games.

Actually, he is. He gets a paycheck for his videos.

Lork

Watching that video on poise inspired me to do my own tests, and after doing so I can confirm to my own satisfaction that:

-There is a difference between 0 poise and 0.1 poise

I haven't been able to find a discernible difference between 0.1 and any other value myself, but hey, maybe if we all pitch in, other "breakpoints" (lol) can be found.

Iorv3th

I'm at the boss in the last hidden area. Holy crap. I can't even summon people and beat him. Been going through embers and my summons usually die in 1 or 2 hits. I am also doing hardly any damage to him. What is he weak against? I am dex and have a chaos blade +5 or Dark Blade +10 or Old Wolf Sword +5.

If you are talking about N.K., honestly you are better off figuring it out and soloing it. Most people you summon will know the fight, but won't be much help when the boss has unpredictable patterns due to the co-op element.

:(

Is 80 high enough level?

Bluenoser

Actually, he is. He gets a paycheck for his videos.

He's a pro entertainer then, not a pro Dark Souls player. He gets paid because he brings lots of people into his channel because of his personality, not his skills at the game.

I'm at the boss in the last hidden area. Holy crap. I can't even summon people and beat him. Been going through embers and my summons usually die in 1 or 2 hits. I am also doing hardly any damage to him. What is he weak against? I am dex and have a chaos blade +5 or Dark Blade +10 or Old Wolf Sword +5.

If you are talking about N.K., honestly you are better off figuring it out and soloing it. Most people you summon will know the fight, but won't be much help when the boss has unpredictable patterns due to the co-op element.

Tarkus

He's a pro entertainer then, not a pro Dark Souls player. He gets paid because he brings lots of people into his channel because of his personality, not his skills at the game.
He's co-authored a total of 3 guides for the series. He's definitely a pro.

neoism

That's every. single. item. cleared out of
Smouldering Lake.
I can't wait to never ever visit it ever again.

lol yeah more than any other ds game i dislike more areas in this game than any other... the keep, boreal, and peak are really the only good ones. but i feel the same way.. once im done with most areas i just never come back...

Manu

lol yeah more than any other ds game i dislike more areas in this game than any other... the keep, boreal, and peak are really the only good ones. but i feel the same way.. once im done with most areas i just never come back...

Crazy talk.

"Poise is working as intended, only that is more situational."

Then explain what kind of situation where it works, you annoying arses, arrghhh. There's a limit of being so "obscure" before you turn into legitimately annoying, FROM.

Kazuhira

I don't know what's happening but i was summoned as a darkmoon like 6 times in less than 5 mins and always with the same players.
The invaders keeps killing himself everytime and now i have 6 proofs of concord well kept.
I'm not even trying to farm this shit,i just want to kill NK lol

:(

Is 80 high enough level?

Avelyn is surprisingly very effective against him.

also you guys should check out pvpskillz channel he does amazing weapon pvp videos.. not a very popular channel...

http://youtu.be/B8zU_mRO7Z0

His "everything is the best, omg this is amazing, the BEST guys! I swear this weapon kick ass! THE BEST" shtick kind of annoy me, to be honest.

Oh wow I just saw this. Yeah I'd be really happy to get all the rings from you. I'm on PS4.

PSN DekuBleep

I don't know how to do it though, so I'd need an explanation.

Very easy, just pick an area (like Cleansing Chapel), we both put down our password, I put down my red summon sign, you summon me, I enter your world as invader, I drop all the rings, you pick them up. Voila :)

Probably harder to find the time when we can meet since I am GMT+7, hahah.

ZY8TFa9.jpg

From should provide a better explanation in their explanations. To me this is talking about poise like it used to be.

Is sacred oath way better than deep protection? I'm pondering if it's worth the switch but wondering if it's worth the two attunement slots. I think sacred oath doesn't last as long too right?

Jamaro85

I am struggling right now against these greatswords in PvP. When guys are repeatedly parrying it's hard for me to time attacks, and while part of it is probably me needing to do better I think lag makes it a little more difficult. Anybody got advice for this? I am getting ONE SHOTTED from full health by a damn counter. How in the hell are those so powerful?

Edit: I'm using a Dark Sword. Perhaps I should start parrying as well? I'm honestly horrible at it, even against regular mobs.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
"Poise is working as intended, only that is more situational."

Then explain what kind of situation where it works, you annoying arses, arrghhh. There's a limit of being so "obscure" before you turn into legitimately annoying, FROM.

If this is From talking (and not Bandai Namco), they're not trying to be deliberately obscure. They're probably just being careful with words, while hopefully working to improve balancing and resolve the issue.

You could use your imagination (and experience with the game) if you want to know what kind of situation Poise works in. But if you want an unofficial explanation/theory, see my post above.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Is the ring trophy glitched? I have every ring but no trophy. Do you have to get the +1, +2 variations as well?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I am struggling right now against these greatswords in PvP. When guys are repeatedly parrying it's hard for me to time attacks, and while part of it is probably me needing to do better I think lag makes it a little more difficult. Anybody got advice for this? I am getting ONE SHOTTED from full health by a damn counter. How in the hell are those so powerful?

Edit: I'm using a Dark Sword. Perhaps I should start parrying as well? I'm honestly horrible at it, even against regular mobs.

The big weapons do an absurd amount of damage on ripostes. My Black Knight Greataxe one-shots every enemy in the game on ripostes with the Hornet Ring equipped.

Stencil

I'm pretty sad about that Poise clarification. I really don't want to believe that the "poise" included in this game is functioning as intended... So sick of being staggered.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I think whether poise is working in some way or not is beside the point because as it is right now it's implemented terribly.

Listen, I'm all for reducing poise from previous levels so people can't just tank shit. That would be dumb and I actually like the idea of it being weaker. But for heavens sake, right now it's a joke. Practically anything will stagger or interrupt you. It's infuriating.

Toxi

Banned
I think whether poise is working in some way or not is beside the point because as it is right now it's implemented terribly.

Listen, I'm all for reducing poise from previous levels so people can't just tank shit. That would be dumb and I actually like the idea of it being weaker. But for heavens sake, right now it's a joke. Practically anything will stagger or interrupt you. It's infuriating.
I don't mind being staggered.

I do mind how vitality is basically a pointless stat right now because heavy armor barely provides more protection and the extra poise means nothing. You basically only put points into vitality for fashion.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And that hyper armor is dependent on the weapon move set and not affected at all by another stat. It's not really what people are talking about when they're describing poise.
Sure, but the person you were replying to didn't seem to say it was poise like in DkS1 in DeS. Just clarifying.

I don't mind being staggered.

I do mind how vitality is basically a pointless stat right now because heavy armor barely provides more protection and the extra poise means nothing. You basically only put points into vitality for fashion.
Or to wield heavy weapons/greatshields...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom