• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
yo why does every boss in this game do 100,000 fucking dmg and never stop attacking? I've died to
champion gundyr
a dozen times because the mother fucker destroys my stamina even through my greatshield and then just continues to attack and kill me in two hits unkindled. Does armor even do anything in this game? Does poise?

edit: and dont even get me started on that bullshit kick

It's almost like DS2 was made last gen, in a last gen engine. Amazing, huh?

Obviously the jump from PS3 to PS4 is going to make a difference in the technical aspects of the games but the difference of quality in design is substantial (which is what matters in the end). Heck, I think Dark Souls 1 is far more visually appealing and consistent in its graphics and design than DS2 despite being almost 3 years older so I guess its not saying much.

yo why does every boss in this game do 100,000 fucking dmg and never stop attacking? I've died to
champion gundyr
a dozen times because the mother fucker destroys my stamina even through my greatshield and then just continues to attack and kill me in two hits unkindled. Does armor even do anything in this game? Does poise?
I think they've brought over some Bloodborne design choices when it comes to the enemy AI. I think this game has the most aggressive enemies in the Dark Souls series yet. Some are just fucking ferocious.

I dont know if armor and poise works any differently in this game, but I wouldnt be surprised if they tweaked poise to be less useful given the more aggressive nature of the enemies (thus relying more on dodging like in Bloodborne).

E92 M3

While I'm mad about my achievements glitching, it is nice to be on top of the friend's leaderboards. I don't think it keeps tracks of all invasions appropriately, but oh well.
xUE5wUr.jpg

Iorv3th

Gaf, I really want the Elite Knight set, but I feel my Anri questline is all over the shop:

• I've seen them at Road of Sacrifices, Firelink and only the first spot in the Catacombs
  • I did not see them after that, but I did
    kill Horace
    in Smouldering Lake
  • I have checked Yorshka's Church for Anri, but no dice
In terms of overall progression, I just killed the Dancer.

Have I cooked it?

I didn't know you got that set from that classline. I got it elsewhere
merchent lady sells it. But horace killed anri in my game and I killed horace after that

It's odd seeing opinions on
Dancer
. On one side (the one i'm on) she's obscenely slow which makes her easy to gauge and kill while the other is that she has some incredible combos that can one shot.

Where were those combos when I fought her I wonder? She did nothing but slow walking and an occasional spin.

Maybe she glitched? She wrecked me until i decided to summon people to help. Especially the second form gets more crazy.

It's almost like DS2 was made last gen, in a last gen engine. Amazing, huh?

Going from Dark Souls 2 to Dark Souls 1 on the PC was a step forward visually though. Even in the areas that looked good in DkS2, it lacked the atmosphere the previous games had. I can see why going from DkS2 to DkS3 can be such a huge leap, since Bloodborne was basically the logical progression from Dark Souls 1's visuals and Dark Souls 3 builds off of that.

So my PS4 copy is saying my 1.03 version is up to date and there no further updates. Anyone else experience this? Was trying to update to 1.04 before playing tonight but eh...
It's a server side update. The weapon stats they changed should apply even without a patch.

ramyeon

I didn't know you got that set from that classline. I got it elsewhere
merchent lady sells it. But horace killed anri in my game and I killed horace after that
The Handmaid only sells it after Anri's quest has come to a conclusion in some form - in your case after you sent her to the Smouldering Lake to be killed by Horace.

Ferrio

Banned
Question about a locked door, can't find where to get into an area. It's right after P
ontiff
on a bridge on with a bunch of fire shooting priests. Anyone point me in the direction?

edit: Found it, that was not exciting in the least.

champion gundyr

edit: and dont even get me started on that bullshit kick

Stop blocking everything and start dodge-rolling. Certain things are okay to block, but a lot of his moves are too risky.

MilkBeard

Dark Souls II still has its charm. Majula looks nice, as does Shrine of Amana and Shulva. I agree though that overall, Dark Souls III is a nice step ahead in those areas.

Yeah, there are some areas that look really good in Dark Souls II. And frankly, I didn't understand the claims about the game being really ugly by some people. It had some effects that were more modern than the previous games.

At the same time, you could tell that they couldn't render much with the new engine on the old consoles. The environments were somewhat barren, and there are some areas that are just plain ugly (some areas in the FotFG, for example).

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Shields are largely pointless for bosses, guard breaks all day. Gotta dodge through everything, raise your shield only if you're trying to strafe out of an attack and think it might hit you.
Simply not true. I can block all of Gundyr's attacks and still have stamina left to attack.

The most important stat on shields aside from absorption percentage is stability. This determines how much stamina is used while blocking and also determines if you can be guard broken.

If you're going to be defending against bosses with a shield, you want one in the 75-80 stability range. Those tiny tin cans most people call "shields" won't cut it either. You'll likely need a competent Greatshield. The highest stability shields are, as far as I encountered --

Greatshield Of Glory 80 Base Stability
Havel's Greatshield 75 Base Stability
Dragonslayer Greatshield 73 Base stability.

There's others, but that's what I can remember off the top of my head. Keep in mind all of those shields can be upgraded to +5 stability. So 85, 80, and 78 respectively.

im rolling far more then I am blocking, but a lot of his attacks seem to track and hit me when im coming up

Yeah, there's a lot of cheap shit in there and I won't say I've found any dodge method that works 100% of the time, but your focus SHOULD be dodging. When I beat him, I was only hitting him once at a time before moving off. And even then, only when I had a really nice opening. Ocassionally I'd go for two hits, but that was cutting it really close and I was already inputting the dodge command before the second attack even hit. It takes a lot of patience.

his attacks have some delay but are really easy to read, try to force him in some kind of pattern in order to get some free hits...or just summon the swordmaster

LOL, real talk - I summomed that guy and he walked off the cliff before I was done prepping for the fight. XD

MilkBeard

It's odd seeing opinions on
Dancer
. On one side (the one i'm on) she's obscenely slow which makes her easy to gauge and kill while the other is that she has some incredible combos that can one shot.

Where were those combos when I fought her I wonder? She did nothing but slow walking and an occasional spin.

the boss is actually pretty easy, all you have to do hang on her butt. It's a safe zone from 90% of her attacks.

Timeaisis

Uhh....
Dragons in Lotrhic Castle
? Is there a way to get by them? I can't survive running. And yeah, I know about the drop down area. I'm just trying to run from one side to the other to get into the door. Die every time.

MilkBeard

This and Bloodborne are using the ds2 engine. It's more like "God, current gen consoles allowed this and bb to look so fucking good."

Do you have a link where the devs have said this?

I have the theory that Dark Souls 2 is using some version of the Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 engine. It explains why Dark Souls 2 has some effects that are visible in the new games, and why the game had barren lands. Also how the lighting system was seemingly stripped out at the last second. Dark Souls 3 looks much closer to what the original 'high detail' pics and vids of Dark Souls 2 looked like. Lighting included.

I'm having absolute hell trying to summon right now. Hardly any signs and they all just give me the old "unable to summon" I checked my connection out of curiosity but it is rock solid.

Uhh....
? Is there a way to get by them? I can't survive running. And yeah, I know about the drop down area. I'm just trying to run from one side to the other to get into the door. Die every time.

Later on in the story, the dragons stop breathing fire, allowing you to get to the other side.

burgerdog

Do you have a link where the devs have said this?

I have the theory that Dark Souls 2 is using some version of the Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 engine. It explains why Dark Souls 2 has some effects that are visible in the new games, and why the old systems struggle to run it even with barren lands. I mean, the new engine stutters even on PS4/X1.

Durante has mentioned it here on gaf and possibly on his PC gamer article.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Uhh....
Run down, and to the right. I suggest running your ass off into the Doorway. I'd personally Bait the dragons into breathing fire, then as they're recuperating run onto the fiery bridge (you'll take a little damage), drop immediately down to the right and haul ass. There's a guy sitting to your left as you run through, if you don't kill him quickly he'll turn into one of those crazy chaos beasts.

Kazuhira

I knew it,
they forced me to kill Anri and he was my fave npc so far.
As someone who was always interested in Oscar because his story was never told,i saw Anri as a homage to him and a big chance to maybe,just maybe see what miyazaki had planned for him during the development of ds1.
If there's really more to this,pls don't tell me anything because i wanna find it on my own.

ExVicis

Haha damn, thought I was unique! Haven't seen anyone else using the same yet, although to be fair 90% of people are using some configuration of the Fallen Knight Set.

Legs are the Pontiff Knight Leggings.
You're the only one thus far besides me I see sporting those items. I prefer to see it as shared good taste.

Anyways, I'm trying to use Black Knight Pants, but maybe I'll switch to the Pontiff instead.

Okay cool. It makes sense; why would they create a brand new engine just for Dark Souls 2 on last gen systems? It's definitely the BB/DS3 engine in some form, sans the lighting.

It's actually pretty weird, DkS2 was going for lighting that was far ahead of what Bloodborne and DkS3 had attempted and seemed like the whole point of DkS2's new engine (I had always speculated that a lot of really bland rooms in the game with very greyscale textures were that way because they were supposed to be very dark and only lit by a light source that would give it that color to it, for example).

The first part of the late game spoiler
king of storms fight
would be so much better if you could actually see what the hell was happening. There is just hardly any way to adequately keep track of what's going on.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I can't even go on. Been fighting NK for almost 3 days now. Mother fucker has topped Capra demon for most deaths handed to me in a video game ever. After God knows how many tries I finally got him so low I was sure he was only a one shot away. Rolled his attack, hit him with a swipe, left him with so little health left you couldn't even see it.... And then he instantly killed me with that lightning charge stab.

Like I had to go take a slow aimless walk around my house. Tried a couple times since then and can't even get past phase 1, and I don't even care. All my fight has left me, that was the kind of L that's gonna make me shelf the game for a few weeks. I'll come back when the pain is less real.

Soulflarz

Banned
king of storms fight
would be so much better if you could actually see what the hell was happening. There is just hardly any way to adequately keep track of what's going on.

eh, you want to understand tells from the actions at a glance

Just because you can't physically see the spear hitting you doesn't mean you don't know it's coming.

king of storms fight

Switch the lock on and off a lot, and it should be manageable, as the camera will actually switch targets.

psychotron

Dark Sword +4 with heavy infusion is messing people up pretty good. I just easy took out
Crystal Sage
on my first try. Then I was invaded 3 times in a row and they all were using estus. I beat them all though somehow. I think they shit themselves when they saw the damage my sword was doing.

Why the fuck am I "unable to summon phantoms" but able to summon "dark spirits"?

Fuck this. Anyone willing to help on
Nameless King
?

^ Dark Sword is Best Sword.

Every time the game loads all the status aliment pops on the screen and then disappear for a second.

I have the Stamina, Dex, Strength and Ring of Favor Rings Equipped.

z1ggy

Yesterday i spent 4 hours invading people in
Anor Londo
. I'm bad person i enjoy ruining peoples boss hunt.

Dresden

Type moon destroyed my brain and so that was all I could think of on the final boss. Rest in peace, my brain.

Optional boss on the optional place:
Nameless King
was cool. It's too bad I don't have any respecs left because that boss weapon is sweet and I'd like to use it.

Yesterday i spent 4 hours invading people in Anor Londo. I'm bad person i enjoy ruining peoples boss hunt.

Can you please spoiler locations. How much do I have left if I
am at beginning of cathedral of deep and I just beat the abyss watchers
. Am I at 1/4 point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom