• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I would say DS 3 summons are working a lot better right after release than they were for DS2, at least for me. Things have been near instant on my end since I started doing it. A few fail to summon, not sure why, but I think NB has been pretty good at managing server stress with this release so far.

You know, all bosses can be solo'd, as well...

Then take the two hours you sat on your butt trying to summon someone and try to get through the part you're stuck at?

I have been trying to tackle the boss on 1on1. I've been saying that for the past couple of hours.

I go in, try and fight the boss 5 times, die, then try and summon. Rinse. Repeat. I NEVER summon people for boss fights. Never. But this one, I feel I need to.

Use a
seed of the giant tree then

Wait can you get more than one?
Hom1oqd.jpg

used the sheild to parry, than found out you could parry with the fists.

to be continued =>

what

MilkBeard

I have been trying to tackle the boss on 1on1. I've been saying that for the past couple of hours.

I go in, try and fight the boss 5 times, die, then try and summon. Rinse. Repeat. I NEVER summon people for boss fights. Never. But this one, I feel I need to.

Which boss is it? Perhaps we can give some advice.

I thought it was just the Twinblades, but it seems like either the stats are wrong or From hates curved swords.

A stance L2 R2 combo does only a bit more damage than an R1, and certainly does less than two R1's. It applies to both Twinblades and the Scimitar. What is the point, then?

Nazo

So, I discovered today that a heavy infused Claymore is a terrible weapon. I noticed it because was watching some random YouTube video of someone fighting one of the late game bosses and was doing WAAAAAY more damage than I was doing to them. Which is incredibly frustrating. Though it's cool to say that I've beaten the game on what's essentially hard-mode. However unintentional it may be. Does any one recommend a decent strength weapon to replace the over sized toothpick I call a Claymore?

Riposte

Nameless King

I'm able to get his
1st form and the dragon
down without a hitch, but the
second
is ridiculous...

If you are melee, it's a matter of learning his patterns and dodging through them. Always err on the side of caution, as he usually does one to three follow-up attacks. The best time to hit him is after his aerial dive. I'm pretty sure he can be parried, but I haven't bothered with any of that for bosses.

So, I discovered today that a heavy infused Claymore is a terrible weapon. I noticed it because was watching some random Youtube of someone fighting one of the late game bosses and was doing WAAAAAY more damage than I was doing to them. Which is incredibly frustrating. Though it's cool to say that I've beaten the game on what's essentially hard-mode. However unintentional it may be. Does any one recommend a decent strength weapon to replace the over sized toothpick I call a Claymore?

That's because Claymore isn't a strength weapon. It's a Quality weapon. Refined infusion (what I used for my Claymore) is a beast and does a lot of damage with the right stats.

Elixist

I thought it was just the Twinblades, but it seems like either the stats are wrong or From hates curved swords.

A stance L2 R2 combo does only a bit more damage than an R1, and certainly does less than two R1's. It applies to both Twinblades and the Scimitar. What is the point, then?

does it break thru shields? some of the l2 attacks do that

Nameless King

I'm able to get his
1st form and the dragon
down without a hitch, but the
second
is ridiculous...
Honestly just keep trying and stay your distance. It took me forever just to get past the first phase and basically the same amount of tries to finish him off.

I did it by poking him once every opportunity with a long weapon and rolling through all of his attacks. It took a long time but if you want to do it solo, that's my advice.

Veelk

Banned
So, I discovered today that a heavy infused Claymore is a terrible weapon. I noticed it because was watching some random Youtube of someone fighting one of the late game bosses and was doing WAAAAAY more damage than I was doing to them. Which is incredibly frustrating. Though it's cool to say that I've beaten the game on what's essentially hard-mode. However unintentional it may be. Does any one recommend a decent strength weapon to replace the over sized toothpick I call a Claymore?

Are any gems worth it for higher level characters?

The higher level my level goes, the more the base damage goes down and the boosted scaling doesn't compensate for it. The numbers just don't add up, so am I missing something, or are gems just worthless on the Greatsword for some reason?

Also, how much damage will I be doing if I add a magic game (fire/magic/dark, whatever) if I have low levels in int/faith? Does that makes the damage better or worse?

Nazo

That's because Claymore isn't a strength weapon. It's a Quality weapon. Refined infusion (what I used for my Claymore) is a beast and does a lot of damage with the right stats.

I knew that, I was just hoping that a heavy infusion would make it scale better with strength. I was woefully mistaken.

Are any gems worth it for higher level characters?

The higher level my level goes, the more the base damage goes down and the boosted scaling doesn't compensate for it.

Also, how much damage will I be doing if I add a magic game (fire/magic/dark, whatever) if I have low levels in int/faith? Does that makes the damage better or worse?

I honestly haven't a clue. I've never been able to wrap my head around the math and statistic these games have, sorry.

pixxxelz

Jesus
pontiff sulyvhan
is hard! I've been beating every boss before him after 2 or 3 attempts max, but this guy I can't even get him to half health.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So it seems like light armor + quick/rapid attacks completely outclasses heavy armor + heavy weapons. Especially in PVP.

Kinda makes me regret I went for a STR build..... sigh. Especially considering the apparent abundance of DEX weapons compared to STR--I have so many weapons and a vast majority of them if not Quality than favors DEX more.

Bums me out, to be honest.

Ricker

Not crazy about a bigg ass puzzle/labyrinth type Boss fight so far but I will keep trying,not going to spoil it with a youtube watch yet...also all the summoned people I tried this with had no mic,making it even more frustrating...oh well,that's Dark Soul for you lol...

Part 1 of my SL 1 no upgrade run came to a close tonight after beating
Crystal Sage
and arriving at
the Cathedral of the Deep
. Overall, I'm surprised at how easy it has been for me now that I have a handle on things. Getting my hands on an early infused weapon has been a huge boon.

That being said - fuck that boss! Every single attack killed me in one hit, and the
bullet hell from hell
was madness on this run. He gave me a tough run on my first playthrough, but I breezed through on subsequent ones. My god, that was a tough one.

I'm very worried about
Abyss Watchers and Deacons of the Deep. Both are mob bosses, one being a DPS race,
and my damage output is going to suck.

saturnine

You view this as a person that invades right? Consider the perspective of the one being invaded.

1. Whether you are doing coop or not, if you are in Ember you can get invaded. Numerous times. Often in quick successive occasions. And now not only you have to contend with enemies, which are generally already very punishing in their own rights, you have to fight an invader too. And a new one after you win. And a new one after you win. And a new one after you win. And a new one after you win...
3. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is an item that will allow you to infinitely invade, right? While you don't have such luxury for coop, correct? You will always require Ember which is a finite resources that you need to manage.

There is a timer after each invasion, so you can't get invaded back to back to back. I think the only exception is the covenant areas.

The game throws ember at you like candy. I had more than a hundred of the thing at the end of my last playthrough, and that was after using them liberally throughout the game.
If you fear you might run out, just put a summon sign and help people defeat some bosses. It's easy, nets you souls and lets you practice against boss patterns.

Invasions can be a pain in the ass, especially when they happen when you're at the end of an area and out of resources, but believe me, the invaders are the one having it bad most of the time.
It's no surprise you end up with invaders rushing to kill the host without any semblance of etiquette when 70% of your invasions end up with your ass ganked by sunbros or chipped to death thanks to phantom reach. There's few things more infuriating than losing to someone spamming R1 with a straight sword or a katana and not being able to land a single parry because the servers are absolute horseshit.

Sephzilla

N
ameless
K
ing
is kind of garbage in my opinion for a similar reason why I don't like A
ldrich
The second phase is a bunch of wide area attacks with a stupidly high amount of damage and no real way to take advantage of him or punish him. I know GIT GUD and all but the execution barrier for this guy seems noticeably higher than it was for even the final boss of the game

Fuck these guys. You can't even pull one of them there either. I'll need to lvl up way more then I'll have my revenge.

I was able to pull them individually, you just have to fight it in the corner and NEVER MOVE or else his brother decides to hop in. It was a nightmare regardless.

LiK

You can definitely split them and only pull one at a time. The left one first works well.

I tried but no response. used arrows on both.

I was able to pull them individually, you just have to fight it in the corner and NEVER MOVE or else his brother decides to hop in. It was a nightmare regardless.

I'll need to look up a guide if it's out there. I tried pulling one of them but it doesn't seem to register unless you step closer to them and they both freak out on me.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
N
ameless
K
ing
is kind of garbage in my opinion for a similar reason why I don't like A
ldrich
The second phase is a bunch of wide area attacks with a stupidly high amount of damage and no real way to take advantage of him or punish him. I know GIT GUD and all but the execution barrier for this guy seems noticeably higher than it was for even the final boss of the game

Huh. I thought it was a pretty fun fight. Then again, I'm pretty good at dodging. Are you using a shield?

Chorazin

I've been stuck on the room in that GIF for a fucking hour and a half. I killed ONE of them. The other one kills me and everyone I summoned near instantly. It's the hardest most bullshit fight in any DS game so far, I think. The ability to just one hit kill is crazy.

EDIT: Fucking FINALLY got a dude to help that tanked while I blasted with magic. Done with that room!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

I finally got a summon to work for NK. Took forever. I was hitting the summon sign as fast as they appeared and couldn't ever get one till just now.

Invaders were working fine though Jesus h.

Sephzilla

Huh. I thought it was a pretty fun fight. Then again, I'm pretty good at dodging. Are you using a shield?

No, I'm going purely with dodge tactics against him. I'm at 30 endurance and still running out of stamina trying to dodge his flurries. It's kinda BS that he has crazy high damage output and can seemingly win most endurance wars.

Why is it that each Souls game has a few covenants that are really good and then some that are just awful? Like the covenants are such a good idea but From has always done missteps with each one.

I need a Souls game with Sunbros, a Way of Blue/Blue Sentinel combo, a Champion hard mode covenant, a Rat covenant for specific areas, a Mad Phantom covenant, a more straight PVP Darkwraith covenant, and a functioning Wolves of Farron covenant/Darkmoon covenant like in the first Dark Souls. That would be perfect.

saturnine

I've had the same problem as well and it's infuriating.

Too many people summoning and not enough putting signs. I had to wait half an hour before finally managing to summon someone.

Try putting your sign, you'll be immediately summoned. It would be nice if everybody tried helping one or two people before or after asking for help. It would alleviate the issue.

My quest to beat A
ldrich
finally ended.

I have a personal goal to beat every boss solo at least once, but in the end, I summoned help for this one. Going to just have to beat this boss solo on a different character or in NG+ then.

The boss did still put on a hell of fight against the two of us. My sunbro died when the boss still had around 20% health left, so those last moments were pretty intense. I died together with the boss but hey, it still counts!

About summoning problems:

I did get a lot of unable to summon before getting paired. Here is my theory. There are so much more people looking for summons than putting down signs, that you have to pretty much summon instantly when the marks appear. I had to camp the bonfire and pretty much spam X to be able to summon. This is also why if I put down a mark, I get summoned instantly.

Sephzilla

Why is it that each Souls game has a few covenants that are really good and then some that are just awful? Like the covenants are such a good idea but From has always done missteps with each one.

I need a Souls game with Sunbros, a Way of Blue/Blue Sentinel combo, a Champion hard mode covenant, a Rat covenant for specific areas, a Mad Phantom covenant, a more straight PVP Darkwraith covenant, and a functioning Wolves of Farron covenant/Darkmoon covenant like in the first Dark Souls. That would be perfect.

I don't see Gravelords in this list :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom