• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

schlynch

If you just want to PvP then your friend could use his red soapstone and you could summon more reds with the dried finger

Good idea. Would be even better if he could put down a purple sign, but I guess this counts as coop and is prevented due to the defeated boss?

Dmax3901

Ok so,
beat Yhorm... interesting boss. Then get teleported back to that church in Lothric get the basin and then think oh yeah better do this to progress the story... then fucken dancer shithead of the shitty bastard valley comes floating out and proceeds to wrek me ten times til Sundee.

Situation now is I have 45k souls sitting in that god damn church cause this dancing bird is hard as balls.

SeanTSC

If you don't like PvP why do you care about PvP trophies anyway?

Because they're not PVP trophies and there are no PVP trophies? You have to collect covenant bullshit to get the Collect All Spells and Collect All Rings Trophies. I wish they weren't a part of it. They shouldn't have made any spells or rings part of the Collect 30 rewards. Completely fucks trying to Platinum it with how god awful the drop rates are.

Ok so,
beat Yhorm... interesting boss. Then get teleported back to that church in Lothric get the basin and then think oh yeah better do this to progress the story... then fucken dancer shithead of the shitty bastard valley comes floating out and proceeds to wrek me ten times til Sundee.

Situation now is I have 45k souls sitting in that god damn church cause this dancing bird is hard as balls.

Ring of sacrifice.

HeelPower

However, I can't deny that, to me, it's just not as exciting/surprising to play as every other Miyazaki game so far has been.
I dont wanna get into arguments about Team A/B but to me DS3 feels like Team B stepping it up and gaining a more solid grasp on the what the series is about.

Still Team B ,but better and closer to form.Not that I know exactly who worked on this..Just a feeling I have.

The Cathedral Boss/Crystal Sage are easily Team B feel,and so is Farron swamp.

LiK

Because they're not PVP trophies and there are no PVP trophies? You have to collect covenant bullshit to get the Collect All Spells and Collect All Rings Trophies. I wish they weren't a part of it. They shouldn't have made any spells or rings part of the Collect 30 rewards. Completely fucks trying to Platinum it with how god awful the drop rates are.

The had the same issue in Dark Souls 2 but I did all the PVP ones offline with a PVE method. I'm glad that's in this game even tho it's also a slog. PVP doesn't interest me in Souls. I only enjoy being a Sunbro with bosses.

The worst thing is you have to collect all +1 and +2 ring in NG+ and NG++ (about 107 rings) to get the trophy. If you fuck up in just one playthough like NG++, well you have to replay it 2 TIMES again

AngryMoth

What generally lead to better AR, keeping weapons purely physical and investing in str/dex or going for a magical infusing and investing in int/fth ?

Lux R7

Ok, the moment when you see the
sun/black sign
and the
black angels
is the best moment in my entire souls life.

SeanTSC

The had the same issue in Dark Souls 2 but I did all the PVP ones offline with a PVE method. I'm glad that's in this game even tho it's also a slog. PVP doesn't interest me in Souls. I only enjoy being a Sunbro with bosses.

Requiring the collect 30's is pure shit though. It'd have been far better if none of the spells/rings took more than the collect 10's - that's bearable. The absurd farming required legitimately makes me think less of DS3 as a game. I shouldn't have to sit somewhere killing mobs over and over in one spot for a dozen hours and resetting at a bonfire just to get a certain Spell or Ring. That's ridiculous and not what Dark Souls is to me.

And you can't even really PVP to get the Darkmoon/Blue Sents one due to how badly that covenant works.

There are items disappearing in my box. Lightning spear is gone. I did respec because I want to use lightning weapons. Now almost all my miracles vanished. Great, thanks From.

LiK

The worst thing is you have to collect all +1 and +2 ring in NG+ and NG++ (about 107 rings) to get the trophy. If you fuck up in just one playthough like NG++, well you have to replay it 2 TIMES again

Wow, the rings one sounds like a pain. I guess I'll try to gather as much as possible while in NG and then follow a guide closely in NG+ and NG++.

I dont wanna get into arguments about Team A/B but to me DS3 feels like Team B stepping it up and gaining a more solid grasp on the what the series is about.

Still Team B ,but better and closer to form.Not that I know exactly who worked on this..Just a feeling I have.

Strange how it's so different...To me it feels like DS1 has grown up, infused a bit of Bloodborne DNA and came out the strongest of the bunch. This game feels so majestic to me...That's the word that comes to mind constantly. It beats the other games in almost every aspect. It's also the most varied in terms of level design while having the most consistent world (BB competes in that category, though).

If you're fantasizing about teams (I think that's a non-factor, actually) whatever team worked on Demon's Souls had a good time with the later areas of the game. ;)

SeanTSC

Looking through the list - every single +1 and +2 Ring is a simple ground pick up and you can't miss them through npc/quest stuff. That's not really that big of a deal. Just make sure you make a checklist of all of them before moving onto the next + game.

LiK

Looking through the list - every single +1 and +2 Ring is a simple ground pick up and you can't miss them through npc/quest stuff. That's not really that big of a deal. Just make sure you make a checklist of all of them before moving onto the next + game.

Phew, that's good.

Kaibutsu

Man, I put down a summoning sign in front of the H
igh
L
ord
W
olnir
boss door to finish getting the last of my sunlight medals to get to 30 (I only needed 5 more). It took me like 20 times to get those 5 medals because the hosts kept dying. It was really strange since I thought that boss was the 2nd easiest I've fought in the game so far behind the D
eacons

edit: Also even though I was like level 63 at that point I was getting summoned as soon as I put my sign down

Lux R7

Teams don't matter if big M is directing, imho. Also, i don't think team a and team b exist. I only think good and less good directors do exist.

Man, I put down a summoning sign in front of the H
igh
L
ord
W
olnir
boss door to finishing getting the last of my sunlight medals to get to 30 (I only needed 5 more). It took me like 20 times to get those 5 medals because the hosts kept dying. It was really strange since I thought that boss was the 2nd easiest I've fought in the game so far behind the D
eacons

edit: Also even though I was like level 63 at that point I was getting summoned as soon as I put my sign down

I think he is rather intimidating the first time you fight him. I know he freaked me out lol...got him on the 3rd try though. Maybe the people you are running with were panicking

LiK

Teams don't matter if big M is directing, imho. Also, i don't think team a and team b exist. I only think good and less good directors do exist.

Yes, Miyazaki was in charge of this with one of the directors from DkS2, from what I know. I think the game has been pretty consistent overall in the areas. Only the bosses has been hit or miss with me.

HeelPower

Strange how it's so different...To me it feels like DS1 has grown up, infused a bit of Bloodborne DNA and came out the strongest of the bunch. This game feels so majestic to me...That's the word that comes to mind constantly. It beats the other games in almost every aspect. It's also the most varied in terms of level design while having the most consistent world (BB competes in that category, though).

If you're fantasizing about teams (I think that's a non-factor, actually) whatever team worked on Demon's Souls had a good time with the later areas of the game. ;)

The constant references and blunt insertions of old ideas and characters rob something away from the impact of the game for me.

They put so much effort into the level design and world creation but sold themselves short with fanservice...Just wish everything was just as original.

Instead of injecting staff nonsense,lets say it feels like a mesh of various strokes from all over the series but primarily feels like DS2 pervades.

We"ll see though as the game progresses!

SeanTSC

Since the drop rates for covenant items are horrible, this might be the best way to get them at the very end. Info is in the video description http://youtu.be/HkboKdUmCA8 on moblie

Yeah, that's the place some of us have been talking about. I had close to the same Item Discovery as the guy in the video and I spent over THREE HOURS there to get ONE drop.

And you need 30 of them.

It's fucking stupid.

Wow, the rings one sounds like a pain. I guess I'll try to gather as much as possible while in NG and then follow a guide closely in NG+ and NG++.

This plat is more of a grind to get than demon's souls was with that pure blade stone nonsense. There are 2 X 30 item grinds with horrible drop rates. I would've been happy to try and get the mound maker stuff legit via coop trying to kill invading mound makers for the host but I didn't find the covenant till ng+ and nobody at all is summoning purples so I gave up and farmed.

The constant references and blunt insertions of old ideas and characters rob something away from the impact of the game for me.

They put so much effort into the level design and world creation but sold themselves short with fanservice...Just wish everything was just as original.

Instead of injecting staff nonsense,lets say it feels like a mesh of various strokes from all over the series but primarily feels like DS2 pervades.

We"ll see though as the game progresses!

Well, I don't get that feeling at all. Hmmm! It feels more like a logical conclusion to the first game. It's a sequel after all but it proudly stands on its own feet, I think.

Where are you in the game?

Ferr986

Are Pinwheel or Celestial Emissary team B too?

Souls games always had shit bosses. That's not something that comes from teams.

I'm a bit unhappy that my go to weapon isn't available till late game ( Black Knight Glaive/Halberd). Just finished Abbyss Walker nd I'm still using a base Iriythrll sword. Anything else I should give a go at?

Rixxan

I hate to admit it, but this game has more in common with Dark Souls 2 than it does with any recent Miyazaki game.

It's nowhere as compelling to me as DS1, DeS or Bloodborne.

It doesn't make any relevant steps forward like those games did, and even feels like a step back from Bloodborne in places.

If Dark Souls 2 felt like a cover band, Dark Souls 3 feels like a mostly unexciting reunion tour where the band plays the old hits with some new jams now and again.

I see many people praising DS3s world for being "consistent" but to me it just feels rather patched together without much in the way of coherence

That being said some areas are beautiful and overall the level design is great - but to suggest the overall theme is as tight and/or inspired as Bloodborne/DS1 - I dunno I can't agree

(Still absolutely love it)

LiK

Not gonna lie guys, I wish this game took place in the "eastern lands". I know they wanted to end the game with callbacks but I had wanted one entry to take place there with all new stuff. I'm still enjoying DkS3 but I really wanted to see this fabled eastern land that we only know of from gear and a few NPCs.

Kaibutsu

I'm a bit unhappy that my go to weapon isn't available till lqate game ( Black Knight Glaive/Halberd). Just finished Abbyss Walker nd I'm still using a base Iriythrll sword. Anything else I should give a go at?

The Dark Sword is really sweet if you're looking for a powerful straight sword, especially if you put a heavy gem on it. It gets an A strength scaling

This plat is more of a grind to get than demon's souls was with that pure blade stone nonsense. There are 2 X 30 item grinds with horrible drop rates. I would've been happy to try and get the mound maker stuff legit via coop trying to kill invading mound makers for the host but I didn't find the covenant till ng+ and nobody at all is summoning purples so I gave up and farmed.

You can invade to complete the moundmaker covenant. No need to farm or co-op

HeelPower

Well, I don't get that feeling at all. Hmmm! It feels more like a logical conclusion to the first game. It's a sequel after all but it proudly stands on its own feet, I think.

Where are you in the game?

Catacombs last I stopped.Didnt venture much there.
Are Pinwheel or Celestial Emissary team B too?

Souls games always had shit bosses. That's not something that comes from teams.

Its not that they're bad but they feel like directly relatable to my experience with DS2.

Even the great bosses in DS2 like sir alonne and fume knight feel distinctly DS2ish.I fail to describe it exactly.Its just soemthing I got as played.

Honestly it feels like DS3 was made by Team A + Miyazaki while Bloodborne was made by Team B + Miyazaki.

Dark Souls 3 is so much better in every aspect it's not even funny (imo!!)

grimmiq

Oh god, PVP is the same as always for me in Australia..Even set to no cross region Dark Sword was hitting me from 10 steps away. 1km away from exchange, 100mbps and still shit online. Guessing AU still gets matched with EU.

schlynch

Crystal Sage is more like Pinwheel-feel and I doubt they called Team B back then to put it into the game. Hehe.

Guess Team B also had to step in and put Witch of Hemwick and Emissary into BB.

LiK

Honestly it feels like DS3 was made by Team A + Miyazaki while Bloodborne was made by Team B + Miyazaki.

DkS3 takes all the refinements with game mechanics across all the previous games to be this good. It includes a lot of improvements from DkS2 and BB as well. From what I read, BB was with Team A while Team B worked on DkS2. DkS3 is a combination of both teams from the feel of the game and because of the directors.

Every Soulsborne game also has some shitty bosses but I think it's either just a joke or tradition at this point.

Yeah, we won't see eye to eye on that one :)

Bloodborne is top 3 GOAT for me.

DS3, well, I might even prefer DS2 over it but I've a couple areas to go still.

You can invade to complete the moundmaker covenant. No need to farm or co-op

I'm hopeless at pvp solo. Really Really bad. I can help someone else kill invaders but when I'm on my own I get destroyed. I've played all the souls games to death and I think in all that time I've beaten a grand total of 2 invaders. Also I don't like invaders messing with my game much and don't want to do it to other people either. I like coop.

Kaibutsu

Fuck Farron Keep.

That is all.

hah, the poison is more intimidating than actually damaging (i didn't use one poison cure item, just managed the health loss with flasks) but yeah that area fucking sucks. The worst is when you go to the right side of the area and you run into the curse basilisks in addition to the poison... Man

edit: Man, I really can't spell

mxgt

Banned

I tend to agree, especially in replayability.

Finished the game as STR build and immediately started again as DEX/FAITH.

Bloodborne, while great, just doesn't have any kind of build diversity to stay enjoyable to me.

Late Flag

hah, the poison is more intemidating than actually damaging (i didn't use one poison cure item, just managed the health loss with flasks) but yeah that area fucking sucks. The worst is when you go to the right side of the area and you run into the curse basilisks in addition to the poison... Man

I actually kind of liked Farron Keep. That area was a lot easier to explore than Valley of Defilement or the poison swamp at the bottom of Blightown IMO.

I tend to agree, especially in replayability.

Finished the game as STR build and immediately started again as DEX/FAITH.

Bloodborne, while great, just doesn't have any kind of build diversity to stay enjoyable to me.

If having wildly different builds and playstyles is a priority for you, I could see why you'd prefer DS3 over Bloodborne.

Playing as a melee build though, Bloodborne vastly outclasses DS3. Every enemy and boss is designed around melee builds, and it shows.

On a side note, I personally think the difference between weapons in Bloodborne is big enough to warrant replays.
Additionally, it always feels fantastic to replay due to it being a perfect game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom