• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaibutsu

Oh, so I just made it to I
rithyll of the Boreal Valley
and right after I killed that
crazy ass giant dog
I was invaded. So I waited and I saw the asshole start to run up to me so I started walking towards him. Well asshole ran away into the level and there was no way I was going to chase him into an area I've never been to. So I waited and waited and waited. Literally after about 10 minutes and that dude not coming back I just popped a giant tree seed and saw his health bar tick down while he died in 3 hits. Felt good.

LiK

hah, the poison is more intemidating than actually damaging (i didn't use one poison cure item, just managed the health loss with flasks) but yeah that area fucking sucks. The worst is when you go to the right side of the area and you run into the curse basilisks in addition to the poison... Man

Yea, poison was a joke. Reminded me of the poison areas in DkS2. No big deal but the worst was the DkS1 method of slowing you down and getting stomped by those giant dudes. Visions of Valley of Defilement...

Not gonna lie guys, I wish this game took place in the "eastern lands". I know they wanted to end the game with callbacks but I had wanted one entry to take place there with all new stuff. I'm still enjoying DkS3 but I really wanted to see this fabled eastern land that we only know of from gear and a few NPCs.

Good thing that Ni-oh alpha demo will be available for everyone in April 28th. We will see how that turns out. I hope to meet all you guys in demo thread :)

Ferr986

I actually kind of liked Farron Keep. That area was a lot easier to explore than Valley of Defilement or the poison swamp at the bottom of Blightown IMO.

Atleast in Blighttown you could get a ring to help you move on the swamp.

Here I'm forced to roll roll roll roll....

HeelPower

The worst thing about the swamp is reduced mobility coupled with faster than average enemies.

The poison does play a factor in that racks up damage overtime and influences the outcomes of the fights you'll run into.

The poison is not meant to kill you by itself like Toxin does,its like a handicap during the fights.A debuff.

What is the best weapon among the Halberds? I started with a normal Halberd, infused it with Deep and that's serving me alright right now.

I've heard the winged knight halberd is pretty awesome?

Requiring the collect 30's is pure shit though. It'd have been far better if none of the spells/rings took more than the collect 10's - that's bearable. The absurd farming required legitimately makes me think less of DS3 as a game. I shouldn't have to sit somewhere killing mobs over and over in one spot for a dozen hours and resetting at a bonfire just to get a certain Spell or Ring. That's ridiculous and not what Dark Souls is to me.

And you can't even really PVP to get the Darkmoon/Blue Sents one due to how badly that covenant works.
This was really bad in DS2 but I did it twice and then once again in SOTFS so no doubt I'll do it here too, sigh.....

Getting those 30 Sunlight medals in DS2, all I remember is the penguin walk of the Falconers over and over and over!....

LiK

I wish we got the equivalent of the Rusted Iron Ring in this game. Really wish it was in this game. Read you can use dagger skill to get through those areas quickly but why is that the only other way?

Kaibutsu

This was really bad in DS2 but I did it twice and then once again in SOTFS so no doubt I'll do it here too, sigh.....

Getting those 30 Sunlight medals in DS2, all I remember is the penguin walk of the Falconers over and over and over!....

Hah, for me it was fighting the Guardian Dragon over and over in Aldia's Keep.

LiK

Hah, for me it was fighting the Guardian Dragon over and over in Aldia's Keep.

Wow, that's sounds like a pain. I didn't mind being a Sunbro online. It was really fun and was super easy to max out my rank. The rest wasn't so great offline.

Atleast in Blighttown you could get a ring to help you move on the swamp.

Here I'm forced to roll roll roll roll....

The worst thing about the swamp is reduced mobility coupled with faster than average enemies.

The poison does play a factor in that racks up damage overtime and influences the outcomes of the fights you'll run into.

The poison is not meant to kill you by itself like Toxin does,its like a handicap during the fights.A debuff.

I wish we got the equivalent of the Rusted Iron Ring in this game. Really wish it was in this game. Read you can use dagger skill to get through those areas quickly but why is that the only other way?
You can 2 hand any dagger that has the dodge skill and use the dodge skill to travel across the swamp. Since you are dodging, you are not really slowed down by the swamp. You can use it when your FP bar is gone, instead it will use stamina but same thing. Just takes a little more stamina.

dlauv

Why is everyone struggling with Farron Keep and Crystal Sage?

FK is probably the most painless swamp in the franchise, including Nightmare Frontier.

Crystal Sage can be a bit difficult solo, but there are plenty of co-opportunities, offline or on.

LiK

You can 2 hand any dagger that has the dodge skill and use the dodge skill to travel across the swamp. Since you are dodging, you are not really slowed down by the swamp. You can use it when your FP bar is gone, instead it will use stamina but same thing. Just takes a little more stamina.

Yea, like I said. Pretty lame that's the only way to do it. Maybe they'll add a piece of gear to go through it in DLC. Not counting that out. I'll do that just to get some collectibles in some areas I missed.

MrHoot

Honestly it feels like DS3 was made by Team A + Miyazaki while Bloodborne was made by Team B + Miyazaki.

Dark Souls 3 is so much better in every aspect it's not even funny (imo!!)

Yeah no have to disagree. Bloodborne has some weaknesses (covenant and pvp mainly) but I find it shits all over Souls 3 in terms of world building and pacing. While it's technically less varied in builds, it has way more viable weapons off the bat, and is just much more refreshing to play. Still, Souls 3 is very nice, but like Souls 2 it has too much pandering and some questionable design decisions which makes it short of Souls 1 for me

Lucario

Just git gud

iIjgEV0.gif

I did this to a host accidentally while fighting on the bridge...

daninthemix

Why is everyone struggling with Farron Keep and Crystal Sage?

FK is probably the most painless swamp in the franchise, including Nightmare Frontier.

Crystal Sage can be a bit difficult solo, but there are plenty of co-opportunities, offline or on.

I'd say the hardest thing about FK is it's extremely large (or feels extremely large) and easy to get lost. It's definitely tougher if you want all the loot, but actually lighting the torches and exiting through the big door isn't hard at all.

dlauv

I'd say the hardest thing about FK is it's extremely large (or feels extremely large) and easy to get lost. It's definitely tougher if you want all the loot, but actually lighting the torches and exiting through the big door isn't hard at all.

Exploring the swamp wasn't too bad on account of the poison doing hardly any damage. And big guys are always next to some scrap of land to take them to.

So i want to make a PVP build around Miracles and the S
unlight
Straight Sword.

What should my stats end up being and what level is everyone pvping at?

LiK

I feel like the default Knight armor is simply the best. Used other pieces throughout the game but I went back to using the starting gear. It looks good and has good stats. I'll mess around with other gear once i buy other complete sets. Might just load up a podcast and farm for souls tonight.

dlauv

So i want to make a PVP build around Miracles and the S
unlight
Straight Sword.

What should my stats end up being and what level is everyone pvping at?

PvP is around sl100 or so at the first bonfire in tower.
PvP is a free-for-all in my experience just after
Pontiff

Kaibutsu

I feel like the default Knight armor is simply the best. Used other pieces throughout the game but I went back to using the starting gear. It looks good and has good stats. I'll mess around with other gear once i buy other complete sets. Might just load up a podcast and farm for souls tonight.

That and the Lothric Knight armor that you find in the beginning are still two of the best all-around armor sets I've found so far. The Lothric set is just so heavy

MrHoot

So, what level is the "agreed" level to stay at in this game to PVP? 125? 150?

PVP meta is 120-125 for now if I recall. I'm staying at 125 myself in new game + which by the way makes the game trivial.

Like pump some stamina, vig and a good shield. Most boss become ez pz

psy18

Solo-ed
Champion Gundyr
and
Nameless King
omg so intense!

Any other boss as hard as those two? I'm heading for the last lord cinder.

Styles

I've spent the last couple of hours searching for the last estus shard and still have yet to find it. :(

[edit] On the bright I found the Drakeblood armor set and it looks ah-amazing.

GulAtiCa

Stayed up to 1:30 am invading people in the Ca
thedral
. Got myself 7 new tongues. And now slightly over half for the covenant now. Haven't even equipped the covenant yet. 2 came from a very generous Blue who decided to die somehow nowhere near me or the host.

MrHoot

Solo-ed
Champion Gundyr
and
Nameless King
omg so intense!

Any other boss as hard as those two? I'm heading for the last lord cinder.

The last bosses are pretty challenging. Maybe not as much as
nameless
for the last lord of cinder but he's up there

Gundyr
is one of my favourite in the game, out of all the "duel" bosses in the game, he's probably one of my favourite as he uses mechanics from souls accordingly. He's not too fast but hits hard and you need to be on point with your stamina management and hits

Onemic

It's impossible to cheese them with poison arrows this time. I tried and it seems they placed them a bit further apart. I ended up just fighting them up close,

I cheesed them with my Pyro spells :p

That place is amazing for farming souls

LiK

I cheesed them with my Pyro spells :p

That place is amazing for farming souls

It's okay, I ended up loving A
rchdragon Peak
last night. First bonfire has enemies right next to it and they give off a ton of souls and are super easy to kill. Gonna be farming there tonight. Beef up my dude and finish off the remaining bosses.

dlauv

I'm looking to respec. Anyone have any good spec ideas for a battlemage (incorporating Soul Greatsword or similar)?

I'm an unstoppable strength build but that's getting old. Still grinding this character out to get cheevos.

Im playing online. Been invaded twice in almost 40 hours... Surely it gets more frequent... Maybe?

I've been invaded probably 30+ times in 58 hours.

Maybe turn Matchmaking on and set your marker to Unrestricted.

Kazuhira

Almost killed
aldrich but i ran out of pillars and the arrow rain tore me apart,it must be the only attack that gives me trouble.
So,aldrich ate gwindolin? I guess killing him is ds1 is not canon then.

Yeah no have to disagree. Bloodborne has some weaknesses (covenant and pvp mainly) but I find it shits all over Souls 3 in terms of world building and pacing. While it's technically less varied in builds, it has way more viable weapons off the bat, and is just much more refreshing to play. Still, Souls 3 is very nice, but like Souls 2 it has too much pandering and some questionable design decisions which makes it short of Souls 1 for me

I didn't follow the franchise, started with Bloodborne and this is my first Souls, the game is amazing but I do like Bloodborne much more. It makes me feel like a step backwards in terms of gameplay, yeah you have more customization with your character because this is more an RPG while Bloodborne is an action game with RPG elements. Having that in mind I can't really blame that is not that tight but in the that's how I feel, I see that with DSIII From seems to be tied to the franchise history in every mechanical aspect and maybe that's why they want to move on.

PVP and builds might be better because of the focus of the game, but what Bloodbornes does great it does it much better than Dark Souls III, in my opinion.

I remember when Bloodborne came out that people complained about the lack of weapons... I can't count how many weapons I've sold in DS3 already... and not because they don't fit my character, it's because they're pretty lame, specially the spears.

The last bosses are pretty challenging. Maybe not as much as
nameless
for the last lord of cinder but he's up there

Gundyr
is one of my favourite in the game, out of all the "duel" bosses in the game, he's probably one of my favourite as he uses mechanics from souls accordingly. He's not too fast but hits hard and you need to be on point with your stamina management and hits
I liked
Gundyr
except for his
shoulder charge
. That really ruins your day.

MrHoot

I didn't follow the franchise, started with Bloodborne and this is my first Souls, the game is amazing but I do like Bloodborne much more. It makes me feel like a step backwards in terms of gameplay, yeah you have more customization with your character because this is more an RPG while Bloodborne is an action game with RPG elements. Having that in mind I can't really blame that is not that tight but in the that's how I feel, I see that with DSIII From seems to be tied to the franchise history in every mechanical aspect and maybe that's why they want to move on.

PVP and builds might be better because of the focus of the game, but what Bloodbornes does great it does it much better than Dark Souls III, in my opinion.

I remember when Bloodborne came out that people complained about the lack of weapons... I can't count how many weapons I've sold in DS3 already... and not because they don't fit my character, it's because they're pretty lame, specially the spears.

Yeah, it's been a problem for me in Souls 2 too. When people said souls had more weapon variety (and sure it has for fashion souls), you look at how many of them were actually useful, and not clones of each other and the difference isn't that big anymore. And DS3 made a lot of slower weapons harder to use in pve due to how a lot of ennemies are designed

Souls 3 does do NPC questlines "better" at least. They're obtuse as hell but they're here and stuff is happening, which i'm happy about since it made my ng+ run more entertaining, trying to tie up loose ends. It's also nice to be able to pvp regularily again, I missed that a lot in BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom