• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made really good progress yesterday I now have a Long Sword + 4 and 8 estus flask charges and found the
Chloranthy
ring.
Almost cleared the swamp area (including the boss) I still need to face that
Dark Knight
though lol .

So I have been wondering which area should be tackled first ,
Faron keep
or
Cathedral of the deep
?

In order of difficulty please :p

I've been exploring
Farron Keep
and I think it's an awesome area. Just stick to the edges of the area and go around so should be able to acquire everything there that way. Also, protip for the area: get a dagger with the dash ability - you'll thank me later because no fat rolls. =p

Kusagari

Knowing the Souls pattern definitely makes sprinting through the game easier but I knew the pattern in Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne and both still took me 40+ hours.

I reached the end of this in the low 20's.

Ferr986

I made really good progress yesterday I now have a Long Sword + 4 and 8 estus flask charges and found the
Chloranthy
ring.
Almost cleared the swamp area (including the boss) I still need to face that
Dark Knight
though lol .

Faron keep
or
Cathedral of the deep
?

IMO
The Cathedral is harder as a level but the boss is way easier than Farron.

Knowing the Souls pattern definitely makes sprinting through the game easier but I knew the pattern in Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne and both still took me 40+ hours.

I dunno. I have almost 40 hours and have the final boss and an optional boss yet to clear. So it has been pretty consistent to me.

Difficulty wise too. Yeah bosses are easier (still had problems with a couple of them and I guess the big N is going to fuck me over) but the regular enemies were harder so pretty much it balanced it out for me.

So for me, both in lenght and difficulty it felt the same as Bloodborne (minucs Chalices). Dark 1 took me 60 hours but it was my first one.

Dark 2 took me around 40 too but it's clear it's the longest, also the easiest for me.

Neoweee

Have to admit that knowing the formula makes the game easier to get through. Not to mention they consolidated the merchants/ blacksmiths into one area unlike previous Dark games where you had to visit them in their own areas which was a pain in the ass. Everything is made more accessible and Souls vets can get through this game quickly. I'm actually holding off from finishing the game and trying to do as much side content as possible.

Yeah, putting everything in the main town and making the systems more understandandable and allowing warping all shave off town and reduce the odds of ever getting "stuck" throwing yourself against a boss over and over. Worst comes to worst you can retreat, upgrade, and explore ready to come back and stomp the boss.

Yeah. DS2 is just a larger game, and BB has more optional content. If you miss a few of the extras, or don't do Chalice dungeons, it can be short, but there is potential to spend a lot more time on a first run.

Kaibutsu

Faron keep
or
Cathedral of the deep
?

I did Faron Keep first just because that's what I stumbled across. I also found it to be the easier of the two

SeanTSC

Why is it so important to get a virtual trophy for doing something you hate? If you don't want to grind for shit then don't. You make it sound like they're forcing you to do it when in fact it's a completely optional and arbitrary task.

Because I like "completing" shit and I won't feel that I have until I've collected all these stupid spells and rings. I have every right to bitch about this horribly designed part of the game too. It's bad and made worse by the fact that the Darkmoon/Blue Sent PVP stuff basically doesn't work.

Neoweee

Faron keep
or
Cathedral of the deep
?

#2 is "first", in terms of how many souls you get from bosses, if that is the implied progression curve. The village NPC and Anri also tell you about that place first.

ISee

OK. I never summon or look at guides for my first play through of Souls, but I am perplexed at what I should be doing now.

I've just beaten
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods
and I'm now running around in circles trying to find something else to do. I just can't see where I'm supposed to go next.

Any tips, please?

Sure.
Look in the
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
area. To be a bit more specific:
Go to the second bonfire and make your way to the 'water area' and look around for a doorway
... welcome to the
Irithyll Dungeon. A very spooky place :)
But fun.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to be a Sunbro in front of W
olnir
but the fog wall never lets me through after I enter the other world. Any advice? Am I doing something wrong?

Ferr986

Because I like "completing" shit and I won't feel that I have until I've collected all these stupid spells and rings. I have every right to bitch about this horribly designed part of the game too. It's bad and made worse by the fact that the Darkmoon/Blue Sent PVP stuff basically doesn't work.

Agree. Also, I legit want Darkmoon Blade, even though it's not as good as in Dark 1.
My fav. character in Dark 1 was a Darkmoon and I want him back :(

Afrocious

I just beat D
ancer of the Boreal Valley.
I figured I'd break away from my progress and check out the S
mouldering Lake.

I killed a boss there that was pretty easy called O
ld Flame King.
Then I found this path right outside the boss room leading up to this temple area. This place is huge and kinda confusing.

Caja 117

So, you guys recommend to just have equal stats for Dex and Str if its a melee type? Im doing a Pyro and have put 18 on int and 13 on Faith already, Im using my Pyromancy as a ranged secondary option, while upgrading my uchigatana and Astora blade.

Got Havels ring last night, Just wonderful!

Question I have been leaving a summon sign in front of the door of the Vordt of Boreal,
but I only keep getting summoned for a Boss I havent even reached yet in my own play-trough
, what am I doing wrong?

KorrZ

Is it worth infusing the Dark Sword to Heavy?

Just curious if increasing the strength scaling would actually be more beneficial than having a lower scaling of both STR + DEX if I'm planning on an equal STR/DEX build.

what-ok

Yes, you need item. I learned that the hard way. Did you fully explore C
ruxificition Woods
?

Oh... I must have because I am past the
Pontiff
at this point. I had thought I missed something.

Oh and I am wondering about where is the
Dancer
? Isn't it back at the high wall or by the watch dog area?

ys45

I've been exploring
Farron Keep
and I think it's an awesome area. Just stick to the edges of the area and go around so should be able to acquire everything there that way. Also, protip for the area: get a dagger with the dash ability - you'll thank me later because no fat rolls. =p

Thanks guys for the tips :)

I got those dual wield daggers I tried them and I really like the dash ability, my question is, is there an I-frame with this ability ?

Same thing with me. Couldn't entirely put my finger on it but this game seems kind of short. None of the Souls games are all that long but I still took much longer on the rest.

Is it worth infusing the Dark Sword to Heavy?

Just curious if increasing the strength scaling would actually be more beneficial than having a lower scaling of both STR + DEX if I'm planning on an equal STR/DEX build.

Go refined if you're doing quality. It scales B/B which is pretty nuts. C/C used to be the shit in DS1

ISee

I just beat D
ancer of the Boreal Valley.
I figured I'd break away from my progress and check out the S
mouldering Lake.

I killed a boss there that was pretty easy called O
ld Flame King.
Then I found this path right outside the boss room leading up to this temple area. This place is huge and kinda confusing.

At first it is, but you'll learn it. In fact it's much more easy than I expected it to be. And just a tip:
Look out for illusionary walls.

Afrocious

Oh... I must have because I am past the
Pontiff
at this point. I had thought I missed something.

Oh and I am wondering about where is the
Dancer
? Isn't it back at the high wall or by the watch dog area?

Don't worry about the boss you're looking for. You'll fight it by progressing the game.

Ferr986

So, you guys recommend to just have equal stats for Dex and Str if its a melee type? Im doing a Pyro and have put 18 on int and 13 on Faith already, Im using my Pyromancy as a ranged secondary option, while upgrading my uchigatana and Astora blade.

Question I have been leaving a summon sign in front of the door of the Vordt of Boreal,
but I only keep getting summoned for a Boss I havent even reached yet in my own play-trough
, what am I doing wrong?

Nothing. I's just that people try to kill it earlier than they should, and summon people for Vorltd with the false hope they'll be able to kill it.

For your first question, it depends if you want to use a STR and DEX scaling weapon then sure level both. If your weapon only scales good with DEX, for example, leveling STR won't do much.

Are RAW weapons viable mid to end game? I am using a RAW Astora straight sword and just absolutely destroying everything in my path. Beat almost every boss first try. Just landed in Boreal valley after wrecking Mega-Nito's shit and this area feels like the escalation point that all Soul games have where enemies start to get tough.

I am guessing this is the halfway mark and wondering if I should start investing in a weapon that scales now? Or is RAW Astora good enough to carry me to the end game? Cause I would rather keep pumping points into Health and Stamina if that RAW Astora sword is gonna keep wrecking shit.

Chorazin

, what am I doing wrong?

Because there's two bosses in that Valley, so they're summoning you thinking you're there for her instead of him....

CHC

I think so. One of those angel winged creatures on the rooftops just before the gauntlet to *late boss spoilers*P
rinces
dropped one for me; the place where you find the final estus shard.

I only did it once so I can't say for sure, but I THINK that is a one-time "auto-drop." Usually when you automatically get an item rather than see it lying on the ground, it means it is a one time thing.

They may drop them anyway.

If you're looking for slabs there is another below the elevator shaft in
Lothric Castle, to the right of the where you fight the Dragonslayer Armor. It's the shortcut you take to fight Lorian. There are two lifts, so step on the one that goes up, roll off, and then wait for the next one

There's another in the
Archives
, and a few more throughout the world from what I hear.

Much less rare this time.

Alright...C
hampion Gundyr
was by far the hardest fight for me in the game. Dude was like a Marvel v Capcom fighter with his moveset. He had the kick when you got behind him which lead to an elbow, a shoulder a knock up in the air and then anot her kick to finish it. That area was sweet though,
like visiting hunters dream in BB
. And it came right after the easiest boss in the game,
the dragon guy that was all about Ocelot.
using a nice physical block shield he doesn't do damage on any attacks, I didn't even have to use an estus. Not a brag, that's a great strategy for anybody that is set to face him. He straight up sucks.

Afrocious

Yeah I got summoned for that specific boss on the second day I had the game. Oh man that was terrible.

I got my revenge on her last night though.

Thanks Styles, not gonna quote for fear of spoilers. Good to hear enemies drop it.

That's actually a one time drop for beating the enemies, but there isn't much to worry about, as you can find about
of them in the game according to the wiki. I must have missed a couple of them myself.

Styles

I only did it once so I can't say for sure, but I THINK that is a one-time "auto-drop." Usually when you automatically get an item rather than see it lying on the ground, it means it is a one time thing.

They may drop them anyway.

If you're looking for slabs there is another below the elevator shaft in
Lothric Castle, to the right of the where you fight the Dragonslayer Armor. It's the shortcut you take to fight Lorian. There are two lifts, so step on the one that goes up, roll off, and then wait for the next one

There's another in the
Archives
, and a few more throughout the world from what I hear.

Much less rare this time.

That's actually a one time drop for beating the enemies, but there isn't much to worry about, as you can find about
of them in the game according to the wiki. I must have missed a couple of them myself.

I stand corrected.

Gurrry

Can someone tell me what the point of
the smouldering lake and the temple next to the old demon king is for?
I explored the entire area (i think) and I didnt find anything but
a knight at the bottom that dropped the fume sword

Did I miss something?

LiK

sweet, guess I'll check a guide for that as well before NG+

Caja 117

Nothing. I's just that people try to kill it earlier than they should, and summon people for Vorltd with the false hope they'll be able to kill it.

For your first question, it depends if you want to use a STR and DEX scaling weapon then sure level both. If your weapon only scales good with DEX, for example, leveling STR won't do much.

thank you. So Basically this people are underleveled for this part and because of this end up pulling Summoners from Vordth?

Have to say, I actually accepted the challenge and was trying to help, but the Hosts kept getting killed. in one try The boss was basically 10% health left before the summoner got greedy and got Slashed

CHC

Alright...C
hampion Gundyr
was by far the hardest fight for me in the game. Dude was like a Marvel v Capcom fighter with his moveset. And it came right after the easiest boss in the game,
the dragon guy that was all about Ocelot.
using a nice physical block shield he doesn't do damage on any attacks, I didn't even have to use an estus. Not a brag, that's a great strategy for anybody that is set to face him. He straight up sucks.

Hooooly shit CG was so insanely hard. I'm right there with you, no one else in the game has come close. I wound up giving up and summoning since I was desperate to reach
dark Firelink
and see what was inside.

And yeah the C
onsumed
K
ing
was relatively easy but I kind of got the impression he was supposed to be one of those easy / sad bosses, kind of like Gwyn was, where you almost feel bad killing him.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, the auto-summon covenants seem to be broken. Normal putting down summon sign & invading is SUPER fast. But the auto-summon does nothing for me.

I mean, clearly on some level it works, I do see Blues while invading. But I can never be summoned. :/

Is there a way to walk on lava like the previous games?

Nope. I think the cleric outfit has the best fire res, something that looks like it anyway.

Basically chug estus and walk, literally. If you roll or hold up your shield, get hit once, you're dead. Oh and in the time it takes you to pick up whatever it is you'll die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom