• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even without auto-lock, the dragon is directly above your head a lot of the time. You can't watch for its tells because you can't fucking see it.
Another pro-tip. Dont stand directly underneath it. ;) I made this mistake. Just dodge roll towards it during an attack to close the distance.

Auctopus

S
moulding
l
ake
is a pointless area . Apart from lore stuff it just a bloodborne chalice dungeon which gave me flashbacks to another reason I don't rate Bloodborne as high as most people do.

I felt this was where the fan-service got a little too much. It was very reminiscent of Chalice Dungeons, just corridors connecting to one another. The lore was just like
"Yep, this is Lost Izalith. Isn't that cool?"

The Fire Keeper's chain is probably the least obtuse one since it's purely a matter of exploring hidden areas for key items. Otherwise I agree that the other NPC quests are insanely specific in DS3 with a lot of potential points of failure.
I would say it's definitely possible to stumble into them. I stumbled into the
Yoel, Yuria, Anri questline on accident and was able to complete it without a guide, just from encountering Anri in various locations and going by what Yuria said at the shrine

Lorcain

I was making my way through A
nor
L
ondo
appreciating the feelings of nostalgia, until I came upon
the Giant Blacksmith lying curled up dead on the floor. I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. I had to take a moment to pay my respects for my fallen friend.

MrHoot

S
moulding
l
ake
is a pointless area . Apart from lore stuff it just a bloodborne chalice dungeon which gave me flashbacks to another reason I don't rate Bloodborne as high as most people do.

At least the chalice dungeon had a chance of cool bosses and nice loot :<

But yeah, that place is honestly the biggest missed opportunity and feels like a second rate chalice dungeon (i'd put the catacombs in it as well to be honest). Especially considering what it's based on in dark souls 1. And in DS1 that zone already got shafted with absurd enemies and design. And somehow they didn't take the time to make it worth it this time, it's weird

Trying to get
Greirat's ashes from Grand Archives but I cannot for the life of me remember how to get back onto the rooftops where it is located.

At least failing to find it did lead to me an illusionary wall that I got the
Outrider Knight
set from. It's a nice set, looks good and has pretty good stats too, I'll be using parts of it for a while.

I would like to start a new game but with a build that plays radically different from STR melee. Any tip about viable builds ?

Many thanks ! You have a heart of gold.

MicSte79

Neo Member
May I ask why multiple threads are created for the same game here at the GAF? It's not a criticism, I am genuinely curious.

May I ask why multiple threads are created for the same game here at the GAF? It's not a criticism, I am genuinely curious.

Some are nontagged spoiler threads, some are about the performance, and this one is about the game in general. Its more to not derail other threads I suppose.

Neoweee

I would like to start a new game but with a build that plays radically different from STR melee. Any tip about viable builds ?

Magic builds, for better or for worse.

With the boost to roll distance nerfed, harder to achieve, and without any benefit to stamina regen for being light, I found my Dex / Quality build to pretty much feel the same as my super Strength build.

Good luck.

MrHoot

Well...either Magic, or you can try that hollow/luck with fast weapons build. Problem with the latter is that you only get the necessary coal in
Irythil dungeon
so at the beginning it will just be a fast dodgy build

Onemic

S
moulding
l
ake

Chalice dungeons are a completely optional and separate part of the game though. That's why I dont really mind them like some people do. They just help add replayability to the game instead of doing NG+ modes.

Ice skating PvP is really bad. I don't think a single one of them are prepared for the ceaseless discharge of rapier attacks I can unleash.

PvP is brutal.
I have to attack 6~7 times to kill someone, and they only have to land 3 hits at most to kill me :/
Then again, I still use the mercenary starting weapon at +6

Onemic

Ice skating PvP is really bad. I don't think a single one of them are prepared for the ceaseless discharge of rapier attacks I can unleash.

I swear rapiers in pvp are op as fuck. getting one hit in really means getting 3-4 hits in.

Also how do you get to use more estus flasks when in co-op/pvp? There are some invaders that chug down like 5 estus flasks and just out endurance me.

dude

dude
10 hours in, my first FROM / Souls game. They hype is goddamn real. Even when I'm away from the game it haunts my thoughts.

I finished the game yesterday and this is sort of my review (or impressions if you will) after having slept on the game a bit.

Note: I play the Soul's game like single-player RPGs. PvP really isn't my thing. And that’s really what I judge them by as well. My ranking for the series overall is: BB > DeS > DS1 > DS3 >>> DS2

DS3 was a bit of a disappointment coming off the high of BB. I expected more given that Miyazaki was involved. One of my bigger complaints in this game as I started playing it was the lack of an oppressive atmosphere. And really, the atmosphere in general was a bit lacking throughout with the exception of a few notable late game areas. It reminded me a lot of Dark Souls 2 in that regard (my least favorite entry) and I just wasn't impressed with many of the locales due to this.

Level design was pretty good throughout but a few of the areas were of much higher quality than others. There wasn’t a lot of consistency I felt like and the areas that impressed me, really did so and the rest kind of fell flat. I disliked how linear the world felt. It was a bit too point A to point B for my tastes and didn’t really give that feeling of being organically connected like the other Soul’s titles.
I really enjoyed most of the boss fights. A few early on were disappointing but a few stinkers are pretty much a Soul’s tradition at this point. And like the levels themselves, I felt that the game improved tremendously with the boss fights as it went on. Some of the later boss fights were really quite fun to fight. I didn’t really have much of an issue with difficulty but I chalk that up to being an experienced Soul’s player. And I also don’t really mark a boss down for being easy. A couple of my favorite fights later on in the game were also ones that I struggled the least with.

Gameplay-wise, it’s a lot of the tried and true Soul’s experience that I don’t really need to go into detail about. However, two things severely impacted my enjoyment of the game. The rolling system was probably the biggest. I absolutely am not fan of it in this post-Bloodborne speedy Dark Souls enemy and boss infested world. It was just simply too slow for the pace of the combat that some enemies and bosses engaged in. It worked in DS1/2 but some of the enemies in this game and certainly some bosses, are on a whole another level for it to work effectively. Similarly, I wish they had brought back the percentage equip roll system back from DS1 and perhaps fashioned it so under 25% gave you a much faster dash/roll. On the back of the rolling system, I dislike that equip-load is now tied to another stat. I’m sure it was done for balancing reasons (for PvP if I had to wager) but it feels simply far too restrictive in the armor I can wear effectively throughout the course of the game.

Lastly, I wasn’t a fan of the lore being connected back to DS1 so much. I much prefer the entries to be stand-alone with some cool nods rather than the direct sequels in terms of lore. I hope, if DS4 ever exists, that this world is put on the backburner. It’s tired and boring.

Overall, it’s a pretty solid entry into the DS series. I certainly liked it much, much more than DS2. It doesn’t quite hit the highs of DS1 because the areas don’t feel unique enough and the atmosphere just isn’t there but it’s certainly the more consistent game. If I had to give it a rating, I’d probably give it an 8.5/10. Or about there.

Chalice dungeons are a completely optional and separate part of the game though. That's why I dont really mind them like some people do. They just help add replayability to the game instead of doing NG+ modes.

Lorewise they are fantastically connected but yeah mechanically they feel like a separate mode. And I agree with the bosses and loot, root chalices were boring, the handmade chalice were better but still kinda boring too. Some boss fights were amazing tho!

Mana Sin

I'm currently working my way through
Smoldering
Lake
and
Irithyll

Are there any optional, secret areas up to this point that I might have missed?

KodaRuss

I was going to get the guide for the game but checking out the reviews I decided against it. Why did From switch from Future Press on their guide this time? What a bad move, sounds like the guide is terrible compared to the previous ones (I have the Dark Souls II guide and it is amazing, about to order the Old Hunters Guide for Bloodborne as well).

Ishmae1

I was making my way through A
nor
L
ondo
appreciating the feelings of nostalgia, until I came upon
the Giant Blacksmith lying curled up dead on the floor. I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. I had to take a moment to pay my respects for my fallen friend.

What's a nice touch is when you
take the coal back to the smith, he comments on the Giant directly. Seems like they were old friends too.

those feels

Zeliard

I swear rapiers in pvp are op as fuck. getting one hit in really means getting 3-4 hits in.

The thrusting weapons are very strong right now since they're very quick and break through this game's non-existent poise easily. You just R1 spam people to death with them, and if they manage to sneak an attack through you have super thrust counters w/ Leo Ring.

I dislike thrusting weapons personally, but no doubt they're very effective.

Speaking of weird weapons, the whip's special ability is an adventure in hitboxes. Even now I don't know the actual range on it... just that it's big.

Also how do you get to use more estus flasks when in co-op/pvp? There are some invaders that chug down like 5 estus flasks and just out endurance me.

If you have high poise rapiers are far less effective. In my experience, it's rare for an opponent to resist the stagger, though. And of course, if they have an equally heavy weapon it's just a matter of maneuvering around them. It's a very nice weapon overall--obliterates most enemies either outright, or when the opportunity presents itself.

Everything would be different if poise were more effective.

And for estus, I think it's like half of your actual total while a phantom? Something like that.

Roussow

I think I've just got the the (as endgame as endgame gets)
Final boss
and N
ameless King
left to go. Man, to very interesting spectacular bosses.

On the
Final boss,
I've got half way into that second stage, but not much further yet, and awh man, they just drop a little bit of Gwyn's music in there, it's so fucking good. Love fighting this boss, he probably has the widest move-set and abilities of any other boss in the series, it can change up on a dime so much. I'll know for sure once I've finished, but it's probably the best boss in the series, maybe -- I think it's definitely the best final boss, it usurps even Bloodborne in that regard.

Nameless King
has some camera issues in that first phase, it's visually spectacular, it's quite incredible, but you occasionally get some camera auto-targeting issues when all you really want is the head. But fortunately it isn't too bad, and it's pretty reasonable to get through that first phase now. The second phase though, I really haven't got it down, it's like the Smelter Demon effect where you just kind of get thrown off by the slowness of the attacks. I'm going to save this one for last I think.

Ferr986

DS3 was a bit of a disappointment coming off the high of BB. I expected more given that Miyazaki was involved. One of my bigger complaints in this game as I started playing it was the lack of an oppressive atmosphere. And really, the atmosphere in general was a bit lacking throughout with the exception of a few notable late game areas. It reminded me a lot of Dark Souls 2 in that regard (my least favorite entry) and I just wasn't impressed with many of the locales due to this.

I actually found the game way more dark and oppresive than Dark 1 (and of course 2). Not reaching BB levels tho (dunno about Demons cause I never played it).

I agree on a lot of your points too.

I would say Dark 1 > BB > Dark 3 > Dark 2

OK so the area in I
rithyl
beyond the illusionary wall with a giant ladder to go down and 2 huge beasts at the bottom is flat out the most difficult fight for me in the game so far.

Good god

LiK

OK so the area in I
rithyl
beyond the illusionary wall with a giant ladder to go down and 2 huge beasts at the bottom is flat out the most difficult fight for me in the game so far.

Good god

Do a suicide run and grab all the stuff. Not worth fighting.

OK so the area in I
rithyl

Good god

Use a bow to aggro the left one. Fight em one at a time. That's what I did.

OK so the area in I
rithyl

Good god

You can lure just one of the dogs with an arrow and make the fight a little more easy.

J-Skee

OK so the area in I
rithyl

Good god

Are you talking about the illusionary wall that leads to the second bonfire? There's a ladder in that area?

Caja 117

Oh I see - how many pages/posts can a thread have then?

Interesting. Thanks for explaining.

20k before new thread is opened and each new version of the thread is identified in the title with a number, this is OT2, when this thread is about to reach the 20k mark a new OT will be opened with an OT3 title and so on.

mxgt

Banned
Reading about a load of PC players being soft banned for no reason? on Reddit and Steam forums.

I am worried for when I get home now..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck fuck fuck

Getting burnt out already... dunno what to do anymore. I need DLC

OK so the area in I
rithyl

Good god

Did that fight last night, I managed to lure the one that's straight in your field of view and fight him solo (use a bow). Once I killed him I fought the otherone and killed me but when I came back he was alone, so, that's great! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom