• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pejo

Dug into some PVP matches last night, and went back to boss I missed in the swamp C
rystal Sage.

PVP is sorta a mess right now. It feels really inconsistent when I register a hit, or when a hit registers on me. I'm about 60/40 on winning a 1v1 right now, just using the Dark Battle Axe. People really sleep on that charge move after using the L2 buff.

Mound Makers is a chance to have a really interesting wildcard in PVP, but I tried summoning a few when I was getting invaded, and ultimately they just headed straight for me and tried to kill me. I was kinda hoping to start a fight club with the darkwraiths. It was kinda fun rolling around and watching them accidentally hit each other when I'd evade. I never beat a 2v1 though.

After going both ways on it, I think I'm in the camp now that dislikes the abilities for phantoms to chug health potions. I liked the risk/reward of having to use miracles to heal in previous games. Invasions just take too long now, and there's always that really fucking boring phase of "i'm going to run behind all these enemies and heal then come back and try to do that same 1-2 moves I've been trying to do until it works. The fact that the big damage 2handers have been scaled down means I can't even go for an all-or-nothing approach anymore. It always seems to end with who spams R1 the luckiest.

Ricker

7 Bosses down and I actually defeated 3 of them solol lol...this is a first for me in the Souls games...not saying I will beat this but I never went this far before... ***pats himself on the back*** :p

Kusagari

I felt this was where the fan-service got a little too much. It was very reminiscent of Chalice Dungeons, just corridors connecting to one another. The lore was just like
"Yep, this is Lost Izalith. Isn't that cool?"

I feel like they should have went all the way and made one of the trees in the lava secretly link to Ash Lake.

Would have made the area worth it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So I got to the boss of the
Catacombs
(that was a tough area) and he killed me in one shot. I don't even know how, I didn't see anything. I just ran up and
attacked his bracelets
then just dropped. Instead of going back I
killed that fire demon instead and ended up at a swamp
, is this an optional area? Should I kill that other boss first?

Onemic

So I got to the boss of the
Catacombs
(that was a tough area) and he killed me in one shot. I don't even know how, I didn't see anything. I just ran up and
attacked his bracelets
then just dropped. Instead of going back I
killed that fire demon instead and ended up at a swamp
, is this an optional area? Should I kill that other boss first?

Make sure you're ahead of woljnir at all times and not behind him. His breath will one hit KO you. He's pretty simple as long as you keep that in mind, ignore the adds if they spawn and focus on destroying those bracelets.

gagecube

Banned
I've been seeing around that becoming hollow makes it more difficult to be summoned, join others in co-op/PvP, is that true? Just wondering because at this point in the game i'm pretty damn hollow but I've noticed that it's taking forever for anyone to summon me. Though it could be just placebo.. and the fact that I'm a PurPal

Zeliard

Mound Makers is a chance to have a really interesting wildcard in PVP, but I tried summoning a few when I was getting invaded, and ultimately they just headed straight for me and tried to kill me.

That's such a lame way to play that covenant haha. At least try to be vaguely ambiguous in your motivations.

I personally always play MM as a host helper, since I just find that a lot more fun, especially when they're invaded by other covenants. I stick the
Untrue Dark
Ring on and they think I'm the host, and they put all of their effort into killing me while the host is safe.

I was just about to post how those two dogs are kicking my ass...

Use a bleeding weapon on them (either a weapon with inherent bleed, or that Carthus Rouge buff you can buy). It'll chunk their health real good-like when it procs.

I've actually put my purple sign down right in front of that ladder a couple times. I love getting summoned as MM because as soon as you enter the game, the host is staring at you like "fuck, what's this guy gonna do?"

After I helped them with those two enemies at the bottom, the host would look at me again and you could almost feel palpable relief when I waved and left the game instead of attacking, especially when I didn't get my currency. I love that covenant.

Moff

omg
healing the dark sigil
costs 540k souls at the end of the game, so much for the free level ups, guess I'll stay
hollow

Ricker

Sorry to ask this again but is there a way to do the password coop with a whitesoap without getting a chance of invasion...we where almost through the catacombs but got invaded and died...annoying.

Meccs

I'm still on my first playthrough. Do you guys have a Soul Level where you stop putting points into your character? What's the level everyone is aiming at so I'm not outleveling everyone else?

myco666

Oh wow just invaded some assholes in FK. There are 3 guys waiting at the first bonfire and they don't move at all and they are apparently high on invasion priority since I've already gotten them twice.

edit. Three times in a row now. Yeah I am out of this bullshit.

LiK

Sorry to ask this again but is there a way to do the password coop with a whitesoap without getting a chance of invasion...we where almost through the catacombs but got invaded and died...annoying.

Nah, if you have any phantoms, you will be invaded. I'm 41 hours in and have not been invaded by any players even in Embered mode and when I had a summon help me out in the woods. I guess I'm lucky.

kagamin

omg
healing the dark sigil
costs 540k souls at the end of the game, so much for the free level ups, guess I'll stay
hollow

The cost of healing it is equal to the cost to gain a number of levels equal to the levels gained with it (including the incrementally higher cost of the higher levels).

As we all know, trolling is a huge part of the Dark Souls DNA. As someone who likes invasion, I have a philosophical inclination towards trolling brolice covenants in particular. Therefore, in the spirit of the long-time tradition of Souls trolling, I vow never to be part of the Way of the Blue covenant, in order to make life just that much more difficult for all wannabe brolice and trophy OCDers out there, and to rub it in by announcing this decision in this thread.

You're welcome! :D

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Make sure you're ahead of woljnir at all times and not behind him. His breath will one hit KO you. He's pretty simple as long as you keep that in mind, ignore the adds if they spawn and focus on destroying those bracelets.

Thanks. I'm fairly certain I was in front of him, as it was the start of the fight, I ran right up to the bracelet and died. I'll look out for the gas. Is there any harm in doing the swamp area first?

omg
healing the dark sigil
hollow

Is there a downside to this?
I'm hollow level 99 and was wondering if I should bother. Also to cleanse me it will cost 78k, does that increase with level?

I've been seeing around that becoming hollow makes it more difficult to be summoned, join others in co-op/PvP, is that true? Just wondering because at this point in the game i'm pretty damn hollow but I've noticed that it's taking forever for anyone to summon me. Though it could be just placebo.. and the fact that I'm a PurPal

Not true from what my experience is. I've been max hollow for half the game and still see signs all over and am able to summon easily. Only put my sign down a couple times but was summoned within 20 seconds or so at a couple boss doors so I'm pretty sure that is misinformation.

Onemic

Nah, if you have any phantoms, you will be invaded. I'm 41 hours in and have not been invaded by any players even in Embered mode and when I had a summon help me out in the woods. I guess I'm lucky.

Are you done the game yet? 39 hours in and Im still not done. The dudes beating this in 12 hours or less are some serious souls vets.

Ricker

Ah ok,only happened once in the catacombs but a bunch of times in Cathedral,for the first time,always in that big wide open area in the middle...

Moff

Is there a downside to this?
I'm hollow level 99 and was wondering if I should bother. Also to cleanse me it will cost 78k, does that increase with level?

apparently it does increase with level, according to markitron
the downside is that it fails a questline that leads to a special ending (which gives an achievement)

LiK

Are you done the game yet? 39 hours in and Im still not done. The dudes beating this in 12 hours or less are some serious souls vets.

Nah, taking my time to complete the optional areas and find everything I can before NG+. Also been farming and just leveling up. Not in a rush. I'm actually not even in the final final area yet.

ys45

I've been meaning to ask , should I upgrade my long sword + 4 to fire ? or keep the stats scaling on this one and upgrade another one to fire ? (I got two) how good are fire weapons in this game ?

Markitron

the downside is that it fails a questline that leads to a special ending (which gives an achievement)

Maybe I should do it now, though I have no idea what's going on plot-wise, so I'm not sure an extra ending would mean all that much to me

So, you can change gender with a ring, and you can change your race by just getting some "blood" on your face, correct? Am I doing this right?

0JQsIgb.jpg

Onemic

Thanks. I'm fairly certain I was in front of him, as it was the start of the fight, I ran right up to the bracelet and died. I'll look out for the gas. Is there any harm in doing the swamp area first?

Nope you can do the swamp area first. In fact it makes mores sense to do the swamp area first I think.

For Woljnir, you can tell if you'll be in trouble because there's gas that surrounds him from behind(and sometimes from the front if he does a gas attack) Im guessing he did the gas attack as soon as the fight began.

Quick question regarding the ending:

Does the wedding ending overtake any other ending? It's the one I want and after reading it appears I did all the right steps (on accident). I'm doing the optional area/bosses now and I hear they give you a different ending as well. I don't want to overwrite the wedding ending on accident.

burgerdog

The thrusting weapons are very strong right now since they're very quick and break through this game's non-existent poise easily. You just R1 spam people to death with them, and if they manage to sneak an attack through you have super thrust counters w/ Leo Ring.

I dislike thrusting weapons personally, but no doubt they're very effective.

I got rekt by a thrusting weapon yesterday. I rolled and hit r1 to poke him and his animation was so quick that hit me even though I was more than halfway in to my attack animation.

J-Rod

I would do the swamp area first. It is optional and will dead end, so you can pick back up where you are now later. Plus, if you're doing a certain npc questline, it's good to go down there first.

Instead of injecting staff nonsense,lets say it feels like a mesh of various strokes from all over the series but primarily feels like DS2 pervades.

Opinions opinions and all that but it's baffling to me that anyone could think that DS2 pervades here. The core gameplay and world design, the most important aspects bar none for me, just feel nothing like DS2. It reminds me of Demon's Souls the most if I had to pick one.

EDIT: Just to clarify, if I'm definitely not defending the amount of callbacks/fan service. It goes overboard but even despite that, the game has a very distinct feel of its own to it.

ApharmdX

Banned
I tried really hard to enjoy the katanas. I can't actually say they are "bad", because I like the various katana movesets, but other than having slightly better reach than a straight sword (if barely), they seem to primarily be better for PvP than PvE due to the bleed damage. I haven't actually seen bleed to much of anything in PvE. Either the enemy just dies from normal swings, or it's immune.

Bleed is great and makes some enemies trivial. I started on my luck/bleed build last night. Using Uchi while I farm wardens twinblades. Uchi isn't that great but the bleed tears up bosses and NPCs.

Zeliard

I've been meaning to ask , should I upgrade my long sword + 4 to fire ? or keep the stats scaling on this one and upgrade another one to fire ? (I got two) how good are fire weapons in this game ?

Depending on where you are in the game, it eventually becomes a much better idea to keep the normal scaling on weapons you like (or use something like Sharp/Refined/Heavy depending on your stats), and then buff those using items.

So instead of a Fire Longsword, you'd have your regular Longsword that you'd buff using charcoal pine. Extra fire damage while also keeping the scaling intact. You have to put the pine on manually but it lasts a decent amount of time and your weapon will be notably stronger.

It also gives you the option of using specific buffs against specific enemy weaknesses.

What does Onikiri and Ubadachi scale best with?

And what gem should I infuse it with?

I infused it with Sharp since I'm a DEX build, goes up to B at the highest. Like the Gottshard twinsword, it is ultimately better for a Quality build.

Still, the weapon has a nice moveset and superb damage, and finishing someone with the Onislayer weapon art makes me feel like a gleeful kid again.

Spoo

Transitioned over to a luck build at the end here -- level 107 or something, I dropped 40 in vit, 40 in luck, nabbed
anri's sword by killing him
and bought a bunch of items to add bleed damage to my sword. It's pretty fun, especially since I started dropping a few of points into attunement and just enough into faith to get access to Blessed weapon so I have a lot of HP regen with this build.

I've been trying to get all the rings I can before I roll into NG+, but so far I'm kind of ... er, I want to go into NG+, and I'm not like "afraid" of it (I NG++++ or something in BB), but when the DLC comes around I don't want to be getting 1 shot by bosses like in the BB DLC. So I feel hesitant to do it.

At the same time, if I want all the achievements (and I kind of do, but man, it seems like such a fucking grind), I'll have to anyway. Delaying the inevitable, I guess.

Depending on where you are in the game, it eventually becomes a much better idea to keep the normal scaling on weapons you like (or use something like Sharp/Refined/Heavy depending on your stats), and then buff those using items.

So instead of a Fire Longsword, you'd have your regular Longsword that you'd buff using charcoal pine. Extra fire damage while also keeping the scaling intact. You have to put the pine on manually but it lasts a decent amount of time and your weapon will be notably stronger.

It also gives you the option of using specific buffs against specific enemy weaknesses.

I infused it with Sharp since I'm a DEX build, goes up to B at the highest. Like the Gottshard twinsword, it is ultimately better for a Quality build.

Still, the weapon has a nice moveset and superb damage, and finishing someone with the Onislayer weapon art makes me feel like a gleeful kid again.

What's your Dex @? I just respecced to use this weapon and I think mines @ 50. Should I get anything else up?

Also, can I add bleed to the weapon?

Zeliard

What's your Dex @? I just respecced to use this weapon and I think mines @ 50. Should I get anything else up?

Also, can I add bleed to the weapon?

My base DEX is 32. Depending on ring configurations I can get it to 40.

It also already has bleed, like all katanas. You can buff it with other things, though.

If you want to max out that weapon and you don't care about being a DEX build, it's probably better to infuse it with Refined and then respec to get both STR/DEX even. That also seems to be the best route for the Gottshard.

eot

Banned

Whenever I checked it was exactly the same cost as to level up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom