• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApharmdX

Banned
I feel like I've wasted precious titanite shards on weapons I don't use. I'm SL50 and just beat the
Cathedral
boss, but I'm so close to re-starting the same exact character/build for the sole purpose of saving all the shards I find for only one specific weapon and one shield. Am I crazy for thinking this, or is there some way I can farm shards (and higher titanite materials)

Knights in
Lothic
can drop chunks. Only the slabs are really hard to get, I think?

Rixxan

I finished the game yesterday and this is sort of my review (or impressions if you will) after having slept on the game a bit.

Note: I play the Soul's game like single-player RPGs. PvP really isn't my thing. And that’s really what I judge them by as well. My ranking for the series overall is: BB > DeS > DS1 > DS3 >>> DS2

DS3 was a bit of a disappointment coming off the high of BB. I expected more given that Miyazaki was involved. One of my bigger complaints in this game as I started playing it was the lack of an oppressive atmosphere. And really, the atmosphere in general was a bit lacking throughout with the exception of a few notable late game areas. It reminded me a lot of Dark Souls 2 in that regard (my least favorite entry) and I just wasn't impressed with many of the locales due to this.

Level design was pretty good throughout but a few of the areas were of much higher quality than others. There wasn’t a lot of consistency I felt like and the areas that impressed me, really did so and the rest kind of fell flat. I disliked how linear the world felt. It was a bit too point A to point B for my tastes and didn’t really give that feeling of being organically connected like the other Soul’s titles.
I really enjoyed most of the boss fights. A few early on were disappointing but a few stinkers are pretty much a Soul’s tradition at this point. And like the levels themselves, I felt that the game improved tremendously with the boss fights as it went on. Some of the later boss fights were really quite fun to fight. I didn’t really have much of an issue with difficulty but I chalk that up to being an experienced Soul’s player. And I also don’t really mark a boss down for being easy. A couple of my favorite fights later on in the game were also ones that I struggled the least with.

Gameplay-wise, it’s a lot of the tried and true Soul’s experience that I don’t really need to go into detail about. However, two things severely impacted my enjoyment of the game. The rolling system was probably the biggest. I absolutely am not fan of it in this post-Bloodborne speedy Dark Souls enemy and boss infested world. It was just simply too slow for the pace of the combat that some enemies and bosses engaged in. It worked in DS1/2 but some of the enemies in this game and certainly some bosses, are on a whole another level for it to work effectively. Similarly, I wish they had brought back the percentage equip roll system back from DS1 and perhaps fashioned it so under 25% gave you a much faster dash/roll. On the back of the rolling system, I dislike that equip-load is now tied to another stat. I’m sure it was done for balancing reasons (for PvP if I had to wager) but it feels simply far too restrictive in the armor I can wear effectively throughout the course of the game.

Lastly, I wasn’t a fan of the lore being connected back to DS1 so much. I much prefer the entries to be stand-alone with some cool nods rather than the direct sequels in terms of lore. I hope, if DS4 ever exists, that this world is put on the backburner. It’s tired and boring.

Overall, it’s a pretty solid entry into the DS series. I certainly liked it much, much more than DS2. It doesn’t quite hit the highs of DS1 because the areas don’t feel unique enough and the atmosphere just isn’t there but it’s certainly the more consistent game. If I had to give it a rating, I’d probably give it an 8.5/10. Or about there.

good post

my opinion is pretty much identical in my series ratings and thoughts on this title as a whole

Respect

What the hell is up with these gank squads? Is this normal for PVP? Multiple times I invade a world with 3 people waiting for me and other invaders.

This appears to be the norm unfortunately. I don't mind the 2v1 much...but the overabundance of 3v1 is a bit frustrating. Add in the host can just run around/sprint/dodge back to where more summons marks are easily and resummon more phantoms even if you manage to whittle it down to 1v1. Yet another overall failure in the invasion department...Demon's still apparently holds the crown in that regard.

My only complaint: This game is really short. It's probably the shortest game in the series. The areas are too small, you can often reach the boss in seconds if you want. But I think it's also very replayable because of this. Oh well, I don't want it to end but the areas seem to get shorter and I'm probably almost near the end :/

How much do I have left after the dancer?

I feel the opposite - most of the areas in the game feel pretty large to me. Compared to areas like Heide's in DS2 or Byrgenwerth in Bloodborne, at least. Of course, I'm only up to
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
so I don't know how far I am total.

J-Skee

I feel like I've wasted precious titanite shards on weapons I don't use. I'm SL50 and just beat the
Cathedral
boss, but I'm so close to re-starting the same exact character/build for the sole purpose of saving all the shards I find for only one specific weapon and one shield. Am I crazy for thinking this, or is there some way I can farm shards (and higher titanite materials)

My main concern are the gems. I haven't done any infusions because they seem so scarce right now & I don't see that they can be purchased. And right now, I could use a good infusion on my Pontiff Curved Sword. Oy vey.

zewone

Just got to the Pontiff.

This might take a while...
Any advice?

When he kneels down he's going to do his AOE attack, back off.

When he stands up and stands still, he's making a copy. Get in as many hits as you can here, because it will hit him and his copy.

Make sure you focus on the copy first, he has low health, but he can output as much damage as the original.

If at the end of the fight, he makes another copy, but the originals health is low, just try to finish the original.

derFeef

I have played 20 hours, 3 bosses down and just arrived at the forest/swamp. I am probably overleveled, wear the wrong armor, have the wrong stats, but boy this is sooo good!

Roussow

So are most weapons pretty effective removed from their original scaling? For example, throwing a heavy gem into something like onikiri and ubadachi, is it effective at all? I'm playing a strength character and kind of want to fuck around with a Dex-speed style weapon, at least for a bit.

I should also say -- presuming you find some of the more hidden areas later in the game, they just start throwing all forms of titanite and infusion gems at you, if anyone's concerned about scarcity -- don't be, there's plenty of materials to find, and even more to buy by the endgame.

zewone

Am I going mad? What's the deal with
Yhorm
and the sword? It says he's weak to it but it's doing no damage basically.

Two hand the sword, hold L2 to charge the sword. After awhile you'll see the effect that lets you know it's charged.

Lock on to him if you aren't already, and HOLD L2 while also pressing R2. This will shoot a projectile that will do a ton of damage to him.

Rinse and repeat.

Lame fight.

CHC

Just got to the Pontiff.

This might take a while...
Any advice?

Kill his ghost minion as SOON as possible. You can smash on him pretty hard when he's summoning the thing, before you can even really see it. Also don't be afraid to use firebombs to kill the ghost, it can be hard to find a melee opening. Once that things out of the way it's basically business as usual again. It has very little HP so just make it your priority to get it the fuck outta there ASAP.

Citadel

Don't worry about it.

You can eventually purchase unlimited shards, large shards, and chunks.

I don't know for sure yet, but I've heard shards drop like candy later in the game.

Knights in
Lothic
can drop chunks. Only the slabs are really hard to get, I think?

Thanks for the replies, guys! This has put my worries to rest. I'll try farming the Knights for now, and wait a little longer until I get those Ashes that allows the purchasing of shards

My main concern are the gems. I haven't done any infusions because they seem so scarce right now & I don't see that they can be purchased. And right now, I could use a good infusion on my Pontiff Curved Sword. Oy vey.
I've actually come across a lot of gems myself, surprisingly. Can't remember who exactly has been dropping them for me, but - at least at my level - I've seen quite a few already.

Wait, I thought that Pontiff sword couldn't be infused

jimmypython

My only complaint: This game is really short. It's probably the shortest game in the series. The areas are too small, you can often reach the boss in seconds if you want. But I think it's also very replayable because of this. Oh well, I don't want it to end but the areas seem to get shorter and I'm probably almost near the end :/

15 hours in still yet to reach half way point..

also the areas are anything but small, especially when you compare a certain village area in dark souls 3 and bloodbore's version

I have played 20 hours, 3 bosses down and just arrived at the forest/swamp. I am probably overleveled, wear the wrong armor, have the wrong stats, but boy this is sooo good!

This is my experience EXACTLY. Beat 3rd boss at 20 hours and just loving exploring the next area. Frequently wondering if I'm super slow, but honestly, I don't mind - just loving the exploration.

Somewhat new to DS, I played 1 a bit but never got deep (mostly due to lack of time and life events getting in the way).

ironcreed

Banned

I am 45 hours in and reached the final boss last night. But I still have to go back to areas like
Smoldering Lake, Untended Graves and have not even found the Ancient Dragon
yet. The game feels more than packed for a Souls game to me.

J-Skee

I've actually come across a lot of gems myself, surprisingly. Can't remember who exactly has been dropping them for me, but - at least at my level - I've seen quite a few already.

Wait, I thought that Pontiff sword couldn't be infused

Oh, it can't? I honestly haven't tried. I know it takes a different type of shard that most weapons don't take.

daninthemix

Abyss Watchers advice please? On my first attempt I got him into the second phase and only a tiny amount of health left. My subsequent attempt didn't even get him into the second phase (of course I was no longer embered).

Fuck this game's combo stunlocks and unnecessarily long knockdowns.

Abyss Watchers advice please? On my first attempt I got him into the second phase and only a tiny amount of health left. My subsequent attempt didn't even get him into the second phase (of course I was no longer embered).

In the first phase,
wait for the other abyss watchers to spawn and fight amongst themselves.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What is Quality?

Using a weapon that scales (has the same letter grade rating) with both strength and dexterity and leveling both.
I am 45 hours in and reached the final boss last night. But I still have to go back to areas like

Same here. I'm over 37 hours in and through 13 bosses.

Granted I die a ton and take my time exploring thoroughly. Would be even longer if I hadn't summoned for 3 bosses I was really struggling with so far.

First part:
be on the defence and when they start fighting eachother go for the back

2nd part:
medium distance, dodge and look for an opening to punish

That did it for me.

iddqd

Lothric Castle
is absolutely kicking my butt.
Every enemy takes half my health and I die and die.

Up until this point it was smooth sailing but this is a real roadblock.

Well I just got some extreme satisfaction from beating
Vordt
. I pulled up a list of bosses just to make sure I didn't miss an optional one, and it's insane how many bosses there are.

I was struggling with
Vordt
until I figured out the mechanics. And while I understand that different weapons are better for different bosses, is there a general "best" weapon all around? I'm seeing a lot of dex builds, but I'm currently using the Claymore so I've been putting points into strength (albeit I haven't put many points in anything yet). Should I be using the Uchi instead and go with dex? Or is it all really dependent on preference/play style?

Trace

Banned
Well I just got some extreme satisfaction from beating
Vordt
. I pulled up a list of bosses just to make sure I didn't miss an optional one, and it's insane how many bosses there are.

I was struggling with
Vordt
until I figured out the mechanics. And while I understand that different weapons are better for different bosses, is there a general "best" weapon all around? I'm seeing a lot of dex builds, but I'm currently using the Claymore so I've been putting points into strength (albeit I haven't put many points in anything yet). Should I be using the Uchi instead and go with dex? Or is it all really dependent on preference/play style?

All preference. Every weapon in the game is at least semi-viable for PvE.

Parmenide

Loving the game but From seriously fucked up the balancing: a weapon found in the first hour shouldn't be better than a late-game one (talking about Great Axe and Dragonslayer Greataxe).

Denzar

Can't seem to find a weapon that really suits me. I've used Uchi and Zweihander in DS1 and Greatsword in DS2. Those weapons are still cool, but I'd like to play with a different weapon in DS 3. Any recommendations for a weapon that scales well with STR but doesn't have the same moveset as Greatsword/Zweihander. I'm lookig at greataxe ATM, but it's scaling for STR is D...

jrcbandit

Lothric Castle
is absolutely kicking my butt.
Every enemy takes half my health and I die and die.

Up until this point it was smooth sailing but this is a real roadblock.
Same. My Pyro chaos orb was working fine until this point, now it doesn't do enough damage versus how quick the mobs are or they swarm. I've been slowly raising int/faith (25/22 currently) while I made a solid foundation in other stats. But now it seems like I need 30/30 or 40/40. I keep dying to a certain frostbite giving knight mob after fighting through hollow peons that are much more difficult than they used to be.

Absolutely. But it's still the shortest game in the series (for me). 30 hours in and 90% done. Not rushing of course.
Dark Souls 1 took me 80 hours
Dark Souls 2 ...similar, 85 I think
Bloodborne took me 65 hours

Soo...yeah. It feels packed but it's definitely the shortest ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom