• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've beat the game probably 6 times now (I got it early on Xbone and I like playing through multiple times with different weapons and such) and it seemed like the first 5 times, on the harder bosses, I wouldn't struggle on them for long - but I would beat them with 0 estus left, and I never really felt good about it. Like, I never really felt like I truly new how to fight them and I just got lucky.

So I just did one more run using Butcher's knife and Str, and I restricted myself to no shields and only 5 estus per boss. I feel pretty good about it now - (boss spoilers)
Twin Princes
was definitely the one I struggled with most, second to
Soul of Cinder
. But MAN does it feel good to have that done - and I know those fights pretty well now!

I think this game overall has the hardest bosses for me at my current state. I can pretty much steamroll through DS1 and 2 since I've probably beat each of them ~10 times, but the bosses in DS3 are exactly my weakness - mixtures of instant and delayed attacks and loooooong combos. So I feel like I got gud.

What do you do with a Dex build after hitting your base marks - 40 Dex, 30 vigor, 40 endurance? Pumping more dex gives minimal returns, seemingly, even on S-scaling weapons. I find it hard to resist going 40 str for quality build while using Dex weapons but that loses some of the "flavor". I have been noticing that Bleed is super strong though, so maybe pumping up Luck would be worth it at this point? It's fun doing NK as a phantom and seeing that health bar show like 2500 damage in a few seconds.

I started going with Vitality because I want to wear a certain heavier armor set, but Luck is definitely interesting.

MrHoot

After ENB's last video i decided to run some tests on Flynn's ring to see if it scales better with higher stats, upgraded weapons and low equip load.

Man is it disappointing. At around 30% equip load the ring barely provides any additional damage

No, you have to fight him while he's not crouched. I stood to the right of where he is and hid in a corner. He would never crouch and I could step out, shoot, then hide when he attacked.

I just hid underneath the stairs behind him and pegged him with arrows, his attack didn't reach me there. Was surprisingly not the cheesiest thing I did in that area.

After ENB's last video i decided to run some tests on Flynn's ring to see if it scales better with higher stats, upgraded weapons and low equip load.

Man is it disappointing. At around 30% equip load the ring barely provides any additional damage

Yea I gave up hope on it. I can't find a decent armor set to get a decent bonus out of it. With Drang + katana it hardly gives anything.

ramyeon

Speaking of which, I usually love ENB's playthroughs and I don't think I'm feeling this one.

I can only take so much of him not trusting any NPC and being reluctant to engage enemies for minutes at a time every episode.

III-V

Yea I gave up hope on it. I can't find a decent armor set to get a decent bonus out of it. With Drang + katana it hardly gives anything.

You guys need to go naked or masters set.

Speaking of which, I usually love ENB's playthroughs and I don't think I'm feeling this one.

I can only take so much of him not trusting any NPC and being reluctant to engage enemies for minutes at a time every episode.

Yes, I agree. He has quit Let's Plays in the past as he just does not think he is that good at them. I agree. He is way better when he knows what he is doing in each level. The insight/commentary just has not been deep enough yet. I am still listening though, usually when I need to kill some time, or am focused on something else.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I really take issue with enemies that just get to swing infinitely, bosses or otherwise and man there are quite a few of those in this game.

-Opaque-

I guess this is his only blind one right? I am still enjoying it, but enjoyed the non-blind style better for sure

psychotron

What about the pontiff ring? Says it restores hp with successive attacks, but I've yet to see it give me anything as I beat people down.

Brakke

Banned
Just fought the boss in Untended Graves. What a cool zone! I get why some people have griped about DS3 homaging and referencing the older games, but I've been loving this sort of pervasive feeling of nostalgia throughout this game. Strong theme.

ramyeon

I guess this is his only blind one right? I am still enjoying it, but enjoyed the non-blind style better for sure
Yeah, I prefer the insight he offered on his non-blind playthroughs and that's generally what I watched them for. I was hyped for a blind playthrough so see his reactions and how much he can pick up on blind but his reactions are pretty mild and for how thorough and slowly he's going through the game he's surprisingly missing stuff more often than I thought.

Maybe it'll pick up.
What about the pontiff ring? Says it restores hp with successive attacks, but I've yet to see it give me anything as I beat people down.
Pretty sure it only activates after the third successive attack within a certain time frame. It's designed for dual wielding dagger kind of builds I think.

Useless otherwise.

Are other people having problems summoning for the convenants? First day I was in the wolf one and summoned a bunch of times. Now the symbol next to your health is flashing and no summons. I can't summon to be a blue defender either. Do you need to be in the area like in the woods for the wolf covenant or in areas where more people are using way of blue for blue sentinels?

Edit: On PC

Portugeezer

Regarding the level up lady (forgot name). I gave her
the fire keepers eyes, she then tells me to kill her and she will come back without the eyes again, is it safe to kill her?

Booshka

Regarding the level up lady (forgot name). I gave her
the fire keepers eyes, she then tells me to kill her and she will come back without the eyes again, is it safe to kill her?

It's up to you.
Yes it is safe to kill her, she will respawn and you can get the Firekeeper eyes back. You are basically deciding, through her, whether you believe in the age of Fire, or an age of Dark. She is telling you that she can now see the darkness that exists, when she was blind she believed in the fire.
So it is up to you to decide how you feel about how to end the game.

So I brought
Siegward
into the
Yhorm
fight and he died IMMEDIATELY. Hilarious but actually kind of the best case scenario since I was able to complete the questline, get the gear, and still do the boss on my own.

Tingle

So I brought
Siegward
into the
Yhorm
fight and he died IMMEDIATELY. Hilarious but actually kind of the best case scenario since I was able to complete the questline, get the gear, and still do the boss on my own.

In the future, its good to summon help in that fight if you do want
him to live.
I was summoned to help a host with it, and the three of us stun-locked
the giant
for the entire minute the fight lasted.

Also, if you already have the sword (NG+, died already, helping a host, etc.), charge the sword before you enter.

So I brought
Siegward
into the
Yhorm

For me he tanked like a mofo. Dude was taking damage straight to the face and didn't give a shit. Seems like NPCs are much tankier than in previous games. I also picked up some dude at P
ontiff
because he gives a gesture and he was getting completely walloped and lived.

NPC summons might be better than actual people this time lol

It's funny, I tried for quite a while to avoid all spoiler tags, but now having seen multiple things mentioning ending-related stuff I realize I don't actually care about that stuff. I care way more about bosses/enemies/new locations than any of the vague rambling

Mind you, I dig the rambling, but it's not what's keeping me playing. Was way more into what Bloodborne had to offer lore-wise. Beyond the references to past games I haven't seen anything really compelling. Seems like the most interesting stuff is in NPC quests/interactions, which I really haven't done much of beyond S's first couple steps and most of A's
assassin thing was neat, looking forward to checking what that was all about later....haven't met either of the shady NPC's in the shrine

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

25% n below it gives around 15%dmg increase

One u go above 25% weight it starts to fall off fast on dmg increase it needs a huge buff in my opinion

MrHoot

25% n below it gives around 15%dmg increase

One u go above 25% weight it starts to fall off fast on dmg increase it needs a huge buff in my opinion

Man yeah that is extremely restrictive. It's basically for naked sets only at this point, and not for all that much more damage.

Also i'm having fun with a test build right now using the brigand twin daggers. Mind you I don't have points in luck (only at 10) but using it with bleed onguent and the fast step, you can be hyper aggressive in pvp and make the enemy player panic because of the insanely fast bleed build up sometimes. It's really fun. Kind of like a bloodborne build

-Opaque-

I just got invaded at Road of Sacrifices with the sage beaten and the deacons beaten.

Intresting, that's definately counter what I've heard and experienced. It's possible the Road of Sacrifices also counts the
Abyss Watchers as they are still part of the Road of Sacrifices area
I assume it was a human? Best guess is that NPC invasions are tied to a given boss and human ones are tied to all bosses in a given area.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I finally got the full red eye orb and decided to do some invasions....and the people I fight don't have any animations. They just float around. Makes it impossible to win.

Dancer

I need a break... like seriously. I wanted to end the fight, got greedy and as always Dark Souls slapped me across the face.

Only once ever in any DARKBORNE game have I managed to respawn and the boss was still dead. It was Rom in the chalice dungeons. I nearly came I was that happy.

FUCK ME

I'M CRYING

IT TOOK LIKE 30 TRIES OF INSTA 1 HIT KILLS BUT I DID IT

I BEAT THAT FUCKING ASSHOLE

SUCK IT DANCER

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU. OH GOD. A CHAPTER IN MY LIFE IS DONE.

iddqd

Tried getting help for
Champion Gundry
for 15min and then gave up. I probably have better luck during the day when online is not so busy.

Any tips against him?
His second phase is bonkers, I cant get close to him without getting kicked and then killed.

Griss

Haven't posted in here at all, but I'm plugging along nicely and must be near the end.

But man, am I at a boss where a classic weakness in the Souls formula rears its ugly head. The
King of Storms
/
Nameless King.
Camera is the biggest enemy here, it's ridiculous. Possibly the worst I've ever experienced this in a Souls game, and it's not exactly uncommon to the series, either. Driving me crazy right now.

Oh well. I can forgive the game this, as this entire area has been utterly stunning. One of my two favourite areas in the game, and I reckon you could guess what the other is.

I have some mixed feelings about Dark Sous 3, which is a weird thing to say as what I mean is 'some misgivings about particular design decisions in a game I find, for the most part, to be spectacularly good'. It's certainly the most consistent Souls game, imo (excluding Bloodborne, to be clear). Almost every single area is well designed and well-paced. I have a feeling the time isn't right yet to start talking about the flaws. I'll beat it first, anyway.

But now to try and find a way past this utter prick of a boss!

FUCK ME

I'M CRYING

IT TOOK LIKE 30 TRIES OF INSTA 1 HIT KILLS BUT I DID IT

I BEAT THAT FUCKING ASSHOLE

SUCK IT DANCER

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU. OH GOD. A CHAPTER IN MY LIFE IS DONE.

Wow. That boss was
Crystal Sage / Deacons
level of joke to me. Didn't get hit, it didn't seem to even be interested in hitting me. Did I luck out or something? I mean, I'm a guy who died 20 times to Vordt, I'm not exactly good.

Ogawa-san

I went through two playthroughs largely unembered, that means I missed pretty much every single invading NPC - and their unique drops. I'm heading into NG+ and I want to find them now, but I don't want to deal with human invaders. Will I still find those NPCs if I play offline?

Tried getting help for
Champion Gundry
for 15min and then gave up. I probably have better luck during the day when online is not so busy.
I've been wanting to drop summoning signs for it, but I don't know where since the entrance is busy with enemies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So what is the recommended Endurance if you want to wield things like Zweihander?

I am currently at 17 Endurance and the Zwei uses up all of it in just three swings, hahah.

I went through two playthroughs largely unembered, that means I missed pretty much every single invading NPC - and their unique drops. I'm heading into NG+ and I want to find them now, but I don't want to deal with human invaders. Will I still find those NPCs if I play offline?

Yup but only if you are embered.

Just scared the poop out of myself. Was exploring A
nor Londo
while waiting for invasions with Aldritch Faithful. Saw the big ass thing hanging from the roof from the top floor and shot it down. It dropped safely down to the bottom level then I got summoned a few times. Every time I got back I saw it drop down again safely to the bottom floor, but then I guess it decided that it had enough and dropped down on the top floor and on me.

From need to sort their shit out in this regard. You should be able to lock onto a boss with an r3 click from anywhere even not looking at the boss like fuckin, I can't understand why it's not an option in boss rooms. Also close corridor fights are fucking awful against any boss in anyway DARKBORNE game. The last fight in the chalice dungeons of Bloodborne against pthumerian descendant was a Fucking nightmare using blades of mercy trying to keep locked on and not stare at a Fucking random pylon that gets in the way, camera going fucking everywhere.

iddqd

I've been wanting to drop summoning signs for it, but I don't know where since the entrance is busy with enemies.

I actually cleaned it up, most signs show up there.
Its actually so many that I only get the "UNABLE TO SUMMON" stuff.
Sometimes Phantoms come in only to vanish again after 10 seconds.

I feel like I'm running into a LOT of enemies that kill me in one or two hits. It sucks, really turning me off the game.

I'm at Farron's keep and those huge scraggly looking wizard guys who summon the skulls are such a huge pain in the ass. I ended up just running past them. The tall beast-looking guys can one-hit me with their grab move.

I'm level 26 and it seems like some people are higher at this point. I've never grinded in a DS game but maybe I should spend some time going back to re-explore older areas for a bit.

Wow. That boss was
Crystal Sage / Deacons
level of joke to me. Didn't get hit, it didn't seem to even be interested in hitting me. Did I luck out or something? I mean, I'm a guy who died 20 times to Vordt, I'm not exactly good.

Must have been. Dancer has a lot more range than she should. I attacked her with my pyromancies, so I had some good range options, but she was still decently tough.

MilkBeard

So far, without a doubt, I've had the most Bladmoon summons in
Lothric castle.
So if you want to be summoned and are of a pretty high level, go stand by the bonfire there. Just had two in a row.

I feel like I'm running into a LOT of enemies that kill me in one or two hits. It sucks, really turning me off the game.

I'm at Farron's keep and those huge scraggly looking wizard guys who summon the skulls are such a huge pain in the ass. I ended up just running past them. The tall beast-looking guys can one-hit me with their grab move.

I'm level 26 and it seems like some people are higher at this point. I've never grinded in a DS game but maybe I should spend some time going back to re-explore older areas for a bit.

You are a little low. But those two enemy types are the WORST. They still wreck me and I'm level 76. Running past the big ones is recommended.

There's is a lot of shit you have missed I'd you are going through there at level 26. I was around 40

Is Fire Orb the only "good" pyromancy spell early on? Everything else at this point (just finished C
athedral
) really sucks, as far as damage. Orb has only been good against weak enemies too, and downright useless against armored foes or bosses.

Did Miyazaki figure magic was too good (and fucking FUN) in DkS1, so it would suck in every game From (tee-he-he) now on?

Not sure whether I should upgrade the Lucerne. It seems very slow and unwieldy. Prefer my raw +2 broadsword, does more damage and has higher DPS. Reach is quite short though.

Tarkus

Intresting, that's definately counter what I've heard and experienced. It's possible the Road of Sacrifices also counts the
Abyss Watchers as they are still part of the Road of Sacrifices area
I assume it was a human? Best guess is that NPC invasions are tied to a given boss and human ones are tied to all bosses in a given area.
Definitely embered but before that boss.

From need to sort their shit out in this regard. You should be able to lock onto a boss with an r3 click from anywhere even not looking at the boss like fuckin, I can't understand why it's not an option in boss rooms. Also close corridor fights are fucking awful against any boss in anyway DARKBORNE game. The last fight in the chalice dungeons of Bloodborne against pthumerian descendant was a Fucking nightmare using blades of mercy trying to keep locked on and not stare at a Fucking random pylon that gets in the way, camera going fucking everywhere.
I've had way more lock-on issues in this than I ever did in my time with Bloodborne/DS1

So many times that I'm trying to lock onto something but the game thinks it's too far (despite me being in aggro range and it's walking toward me) or the stupid lock doesn't work and keeps flipping me around. Awful

Was really annoying in the P
ontiff
fight, where at the start you pretty much can't lock on until the last possible second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom