• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had way more lock-on issues in this than I ever did in my time with Bloodborne/DS1

So many times that I'm trying to lock onto something but the game thinks it's too far (despite me being in aggro range and it's walking toward me) or the stupid lock doesn't work and keeps flipping me around. Awful

Was really annoying in the P
ontiff
fight, where at the start you pretty much can't lock on until the last possible second

I know exactly what you mean. I don't remember feeling like the lock on range was so small in Bloodborne. Hoping they change that in some future patch... It's rather annoying.

I'll finally get to play this game in 2-3 days... Have a visitor staying since April 15th and they leave this weekend, they're staying in the room my TV etc is in, so I decided I'd rather wait till they've gone to buy and play DS3 rather than get to play it a little bit for 3 days before they got here, then need to wait a week before I could play it again...

I think I made the right choice but part of me can't believe I had the self control to wait, especially as Bloodborne is my favourite game of this generation so far and I love Dark Souls 1 (despite sucking at it and still being relatively near the start after about 5 hours of playtime). I've seen very little outside of the odd trailer or screenshot, so it should be quite the experience.

I'll finally get to play this game in 2-3 days... Have a visitor staying since April 15th and they leave this weekend, they're staying in the room my TV etc is in, so I decided I'd rather wait till they've gone to buy and play DS3 rather than get to play it a little bit for 3 days before they got here, then need to wait a week before I could play it again...

I think I made the right choice but part of me can't believe I had the self control to wait, especially as Bloodborne is my favourite game of this generation so far and I love Dark Souls 1 (despite sucking at it and still being relatively near the start after about 5 hours of playtime). I've seen very little outside of the odd trailer or screenshot, so it should be quite the experience.

You're in for a treat. I love it :D

The optional boss The N
ameless
K
ing
is wrecking my shit. I'm on attempt ten and I'm not even close. I get through the first phase every time, but after that it devolves to estus chugging.

Styles

Wow. That boss was
Crystal Sage / Deacons
level of joke to me. Didn't get hit, it didn't seem to even be interested in hitting me. Did I luck out or something? I mean, I'm a guy who died 20 times to Vordt, I'm not exactly good.

I beat Vordt on my first try but died to that bitch countless times.

So I dunno.

Griss

I beat Vordt on my first try but died to that bitch countless times.

So I dunno.

Must have been. Dancer has a lot more range than she should. I attacked her with my pyromancies, so I had some good range options, but she was still decently tough.

Range, huh? I sprinted under her legs, and as she 'spun' around the place, she sort of carried me with her, attached to her leg, so I didn't need to dodge or block or anything. I just wailed away as she spun about the place, her collidebox dragging me with her around the room.

I'm thinking I may have lucked out :)

Wow. That boss was
Crystal Sage / Deacons
level of joke to me. Didn't get hit, it didn't seem to even be interested in hitting me. Did I luck out or something? I mean, I'm a guy who died 20 times to Vordt, I'm not exactly good.

everybody has an issue with a different boss in each game, but sounds like yours was borked as her attack patterns aren't exactly normal and her second phase she's constant attacks that can 1-2 shot you. I beat Vordt fairly quickly. In Bloodborne I beat the beast side boss (whatever it was called) on like the second try, it took my friend like 20. Alternatively Vicar Amelia took me like 20 tries, took him 3 times.

jonjonaug

The optional boss The N
ameless
K
ing
is wrecking my shit. I'm on attempt ten and I'm not even close. I get through the first phase every time, but after that it devolves to estus chugging.

He staggers fairly easily compared to most other bosses, so it's worth it to be aggressive and tank a hit if you know you're about to stagger him. He'll also take bonus damage while staggered. I used a Large Club as my main weapon, which staggered him after three hits even with a decent amount of time between each hit. Use the physical and lightning resist rings if you aren't already doing so.

Afrocious

Is it just me or is
Lothric Castle
and that
King's Garden
place way harder than any other area prior? Jesus Christ. I was hoping to beat the game tonight but I guess that's not happening!

I wonder if I'm underleveled....

In the future, its good to summon help in that fight if you do want
him to live.
I was summoned to help a host with it, and the three of us stun-locked
the giant
for the entire minute the fight lasted.

Also, if you already have the sword (NG+, died already, helping a host, etc.), charge the sword before you enter.

Does anything happen differently if
he lives?
I thought that was the end of his quest regardless. Hope I didn't blow it after carefully meeting his conditions...

For me he tanked like a mofo. Dude was taking damage straight to the face and didn't give a shit.

This is the only one I've had come into a boss with me yet, but yeah, he definitely didn't manage that! lol. Funny because this boss in particular wasn't really that hard to avoid damage on.

iddqd

Is it just me or is
Lothric Castle
and that
King's Garden
place way harder than any other area prior? Jesus Christ. I was hoping to beat the game tonight but I guess that's not happening!

Had the same thought. The bosses are alright though. Its just the red eye knights that seem to take half a health bar with every swing.

MilkBeard

Is it just me or is
Lothric Castle
and that
King's Garden

Enemies hit like trucks in those areas. summon some co op, or go level with pvp/co op for a bit. Or, you can try to make your way through. Those knights are tough though, and the damn mutated things.

psychotron

I feel like I'm running into a LOT of enemies that kill me in one or two hits. It sucks, really turning me off the game.

I'm at Farron's keep and those huge scraggly looking wizard guys who summon the skulls are such a huge pain in the ass. I ended up just running past them. The tall beast-looking guys can one-hit me with their grab move.

I'm level 26 and it seems like some people are higher at this point. I've never grinded in a DS game but maybe I should spend some time going back to re-explore older areas for a bit.

I just went through at level 44 and it was much more manageable. I'd say too easy but fuck that poison bullshit lol.

I've had way more lock-on issues in this than I ever did in my time with Bloodborne/DS1

So many times that I'm trying to lock onto something but the game thinks it's too far (despite me being in aggro range and it's walking toward me) or the stupid lock doesn't work and keeps flipping me around. Awful

ontiff
fight, where at the start you pretty much can't lock on until the last possible second

Yup I have the same issue. Had no problem with it in the other games that I can recall.

MilkBeard

ontiff
I haven't had any issues at all. Feels almost identical to previous Souls games. What version are you playing on?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Someone just gave me d a dark sword plus ten for me to help him with
nameless king
and we died =/. I'm sorry *drops carving*

MrHoot

One thing for sure that dark souls 3 nailed it's some of the pvp aspect. The summoning outside pontiff is awesome. Some people host fight pits as you go one after the other to fight other phantoms. And since your estus refills after defeating a phantom, you can go for pretty long as long as you win.

I just went through at level 44 and it was much more manageable. I'd say too easy but fuck that poison bullshit lol.

Did you grind? I can't imagine just running around farming enemies to gain 20 levels, seems like it would take hours.

Just got to the boss of F
arron Keep,
the A
byss Watchers.
Getting really frustrated, the first phase is laughably easy, it took me a few tries to understand what was happening but as soon as you understand when the boss is open it's a cakewalk.

There's nothing difficult about the second phase, but it can kill me in a hit or two and it's really hard for me to time an Estus Flask without getting hit. It's really frustrating, I understand these games are punishing but when I'm dying in a hit or two I don't even have time to learn the fight and improve.

This definitely feels like an improvement over 2 but I'm becoming more convinced that I'm just not in the mood for this right now.

MilkBeard

Did you grind? I can't imagine just running around farming enemies to gain 20 levels, seems like it would take hours.

arron Keep,
the A
byss Watchers.
Getting really frustrated, the first phase is laughably easy, it took me a few tries to understand what was happening but as soon as you understand when the boss is open it's a cakewalk.

There's nothing difficult about the second phase, but it can kill me in a hit or two and it's really hard for me to time an Estus Flask without getting hit. It's really frustrating, I understand these games are punishing but when I'm dying in a hit or two I don't even have time to learn the fight and improve.

This definitely feels like an improvement over 2 but I'm becoming more convinced that I'm just not in the mood for this right now.
I was a much, much lower level than 44 when I faced them, probably in the 20's like you. I'll give you a hint: parry and backstab are your friends.

Can someone explain how to actually join a covenant? I found two covenants so far, but it still didn't give me the option to join them.

Afrocious

arron Keep,
the A
byss Watchers.

I found the second phase easier than the first. Attack when the boss does an explosion. He'll always be open.

Can someone explain how to actually join a covenant? I found two covenants so far, but it still didn't give me the option to join them.

Go into your Equipment screen. It's one of the blocks you can select with your cursor.

Just killed
yhorm
Not sure where to go next.
I feel like theres a whole other path in Ithryll but im not sure how to advance further into it.
At the top of that path is a locked gate and since i couldnt open it i went deeper and ended up at the above mentioned boss.

Edit: i think i may have found my way

MilkBeard

If you talk to the statue or covenant leader, you will kneel and it will ask you if you want to join.

Then you simply put the badge on (it's the triangular box in the equipment screen)

CamelCloud

Just killed
yhorm
I feel like theres a whole other path in Ithryll but im not sure how to advance further into it.
At the top of that path is a locked gate and since i couldnt open it i went deeper and ended up at the above mentioned boss.

If you walk out to the waters at the bottom of Irithyll, there will be a sewer lookin part with tons of centipede monsters. Walk up the stairs there.

Afrocious

Just killed
yhorm

If he's the only one you've killed and you've made it to Ithryll, I say explore Ithryll more. Or go back to Farron's Keep.

I haven't had any issues at all. Feels almost identical to previous Souls games. What version are you playing on?
I'm all updated on PS4. Notable occurrences of lock-on issues/annoyances off the top of my head:

-Beginning of Pontiff fight, doesn't allow lock on until the boss is about to charge you and you need to dodge/whatever
-Beginning of Tree boss where I'm standing in front of it but lock on decides to target a corpse off to the side
-Pontiff Knights in Irithyll target you and either shoot purple missiles or start running towards you, yet I go to lock on and it quick turns me the opposite way
-Steps of Anor Londo, Silver Knight descending steps towards me, lock-on refuses to target
-Spooky spider monster on ceiling of area before boss in Anor Londo. Standing on the balcony right next to it and it won't target it or anything

I don't think it's necessarily bugs here as much as it is awkward implementation. I'm used to looking at something and having it lock on when I click, without fear of it just deciding to do something else

If I'm in aggro range I should be locked on

Randam

Wow. That boss was
Crystal Sage / Deacons

yeah, think you got lucky there.
extremly aggressive boss, especially in her 2nd phase.

The fucking Wiki for this game is always slow as crap or down. And right now it's down.

Aaaaaaaaarg.

Trying to hunt down the armor that was used in this screenshot

26510359275_2f8a9fbc79_k.jpg

He staggers fairly easily compared to most other bosses, so it's worth it to be aggressive and tank a hit if you know you're about to stagger him. He'll also take bonus damage while staggered. I used a Large Club as my main weapon, which staggered him after three hits even with a decent amount of time between each hit. Use the physical and lightning resist rings if you aren't already doing so.

Beat three times now getting summoned. He just feels so aggressive when you're solo. Maybe I just need to "git gud" my rolls are pretty bad on phase two.

The Boss The
Nameless
King
is my favorite fight in the series, but also makes me bitter about Faith being worthless in this game.

Unlocking the camera and freelook dodging his first phase brings me back to Dark Souls 1 and I love it. His second phase is essentially
Ornstein on an Artorias like rampage

Then after that you can make a miracle or one of the 2 weapons with faith scaling in the game. In the final stretch. After fighting and beating every other area in the game.

They nerfed faith in 2, but even then it was still in line with the power curve throughout that game if you were a pure faith build. Faith builds never even get close in 3.

I was a much, much lower level than 44 when I faced them, probably in the 20's like you. I'll give you a hint: parry and backstab are your friends.

I've been trying to backstab, haven't been able to pull it off in the second phase.

And I never learned how to parry, I beat DS1 without parrying a single time. Maybe I'll have to suck it up and learn at some point.

MilkBeard

I'm all updated on PS4. Notable occurrences of lock-on issues/annoyances off the top of my head:

-Beginning of Pontiff fight, doesn't allow lock on until the boss is about to charge you and you need to dodge/whatever
-Beginning of Tree boss where I'm standing in front of it but lock on decides to target a corpse off to the side
-Pontiff Knights in Irithyll target you and either shoot purple missiles or start running towards you, yet I go to lock on and it quick turns me the opposite way
-Steps of Anor Londo, Silver Knight descending steps towards me, lock-on refuses to target
-Spooky spider monster on ceiling of area before boss in Anor Londo. Standing on the balcony right next to it and it won't target it or anything

I don't think it's necessarily bugs here as much as it is awkward implementation. I'm used to looking at something and having it lock on when I click, without fear of it just deciding to do something else

If I'm in aggro range I should be locked on

It's just a case of locking on too far away. And the camera spinning around has been in every Souls game since the beginning. If there's no target to lock on, pressing the stick centers the camera behind you. You're probably pressing backwards thinking that you're locked on, but because you arent, the camera spins around.

Like I said, it's nearly identical to previous Souls games. Perhaps they did shorten the lock on range, but that's about it.

About locking on to things at weird angles, there's always been a weird issue where it won't lock on if they are just blocked enough. Also if a boss or creature jumps, it removes the lock on. This happens in all games if there is a boss that jumps.

There's also some settings you can adjust in the menu. One is auto lock nearest target. You can turn it on/off. The lock on will automatically target the nearest one, or whatever is in your character's line of sight.

Onemic

wtf,
I beat Yhorm the giant and the game immediatly sent me to a new area to face a new boss. I died and I respawned back at Profaned Capital. How the hell do I face the boss again? The game gives no clues and now I'm completely stuck.

MilkBeard

I've been trying to backstab, haven't been able to pull it off in the second phase.

And I never learned how to parry, I beat DS1 without parrying a single time. Maybe I'll have to suck it up and learn at some point.

There's a weird trick to backstabs. Sometimes you can catch them at slightly off-angle. So you are leaning in and a little bit to the side and it will catch. You basically just circle strafe until you are slightly behind them and try to attack.

J-Skee

Serious question: what's the point of having the blacksmith being able to repair your weapons if they automatically get repaired every time you rest at a bonfire?

It's just a case of locking on too far away. And the camera spinning around has been in every Souls game since the beginning. If there's no target to lock on, pressing the stick centers the camera behind you. You're probably pressing backwards thinking that you're locked on, but because you arent, the camera spins around.

Like I said, it's nearly identical to previous Souls games. Perhaps they did shorten the lock on range, but that's about it.
I don't doubt the system was similar in previous games, my issue is that it's actually noticeable here. I just think it's weird to be in aggro range and have to keep clicking until the game decides you can be locked on. It's not like I'm hiding behind a pillar or something lol

Maria in Bloodborne is an example where you can't lock on at first, but once you're able to you still have quite a large window before the fight really gets started. It's like a logical "alright now we're in range" before the fight begins

Others seemed to have had similar experience so it isn't just me having occasional struggles. Don't get me wrong, loving the hell out of the game, but that's been the only real annoyance for me

Tingle

Serious question: what's the point of having the blacksmith being able to repair your weapons if they automatically get repaired every time you rest at a bonfire?

If you let the meter hit zero, they break. Then you need the blacksmith.

That should never realistically happen though, unless you keep dying and forget to sit by the bonfire or use powders.

I'm not sure why they are so fond of weapon degradation. It was virtually useless in every game except Dark Souls 2, where is was plain obnoxious.

Ba ha ha ha.

A
ldrich
, D
evourer
of G
ods
?

More like O
riginal
, C
haracter
Do N
OT Steal

That's how I felt too. I hate weapon degradation so it's helpful but man does it really make that feature useless. Bonfires are so abundant anyways that it's impossible to really have an issue unless you're doing it on purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom