• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

BizzyBum

Serious question: what's the point of having the blacksmith being able to repair your weapons if they automatically get repaired every time you rest at a bonfire?

LOL! I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe they decay slower if the blacksmith repairs? I mean, everything barely decays anyway. I'm just gonna go with it being completely useless.

MilkBeard

Others seemed to have had similar experience so it isn't just me having occasional struggles. Don't get me wrong, loving the hell out of the game, but that's been the only real annoyance for me

It's not that it's perfect, it's that it behaves in a near identical way to previous games. It does possibly feel like it's a shorter range, though.

There is also a sort of dead zone at the sides, say for example, you are locked on to one enemy, but there are other enemies nearby and you want to flick the stick so the lock will switch to another enemy. If they are too far to the side it won't change. That dead zone I don't remember from previous games.

But really, it's simply about knowing the system. It behaves very systematically if you simply know what its limits are. There are some situations where the enemy will be in a 'dead zone' so it won't lock on. You just have to adjust your character and view point so they are more in the center of the screen.

Gorillaz

not really finished but a certain NPC we all know and love
Patches and his impression of Seigward
is probably the highlight of the game so far

Like he's trying his hardest to sound legit but can't hahaha

Ogawa-san

Anyone found a good reason NOT to use the Prisoner's Chain? I'm not sure the damage penalty even matters.

The grind for the platinum in this game is absolutely ridiculous.

Holy. This covenant stuff is just kinda poorly thought out.
I wanted to grab the PS4 version later on to platinum it, I figured it'd at worse it'd be as bad as DS2's. Then I saw the covenants. Nope, I'm out.

Tingle

Anyone found a good reason NOT to use the Prisoner's Chain? I'm not sure the damage penalty even matters.

I wanted to grab the PS4 version later on to platinum it, I figured it'd at worse it'd be as bad as DS2's. Then I saw the covenants. Nope, I'm out.

FWIW, the only covenant which gave me any trouble at all was the
Blues.
And those have the awful, awful drop rates on the
Silver Knights.
Every other covenant went very smoothly.

From needs to rethink the
Blues
, because its a pretty blatantly flawed covenant, in both concept and execution.

Alright, yo, real talk.

I think my favorite boss fight/design of the game is
Aldrich

Got that fight and goddam was it a surprise. I had a blast doing the actual fight as it's super challenging but I also enjoy
the fakeout you get thinking what Aldrich is going to look like. In the opening cutscene you see the sludge pouring out like some gross mass of tentacles, in the game all the lore and characters point to him just nonstop devouring everything, a lot of his cardinals are really fat dudes, there's slime and sludge all over Anor Londo...and then you fight him and he's this skinny-ass four-limbed gross snake-ass dude and it's nothing at all like I thought he would look. I thought he'd be some huge roiling mass of grossness and ooze and tentacles and shit.

That was quite a nice surprise. I think I might drop my sign outside his door because I liked that fight a whole heck of a lot.

Damn played for 6 hours straight tonight with 3 friends, 1 we beat bloodborne together and 2 newbies. It was invasion central, due to the Dried Fingers, but we won all the fights. I do admit the invaders prob felt we "ganked" them but that was not the intention. Just trying to do some coop PvE stuff together.

Regardless coop does make the game extremely easy and I do feel partially to blame for ruining their experiences since I did the majority of the heavy lifting.

Nonetheless they had a more funnier time doing coop.

Styles

Alright, yo, real talk.

Aldrich

Got that fight and goddam was it a surprise. I had a blast doing the actual fight as it's super challenging but I also enjoy
the fakeout you get thinking what Aldrich is going to look like. In the opening cutscene you see the sludge pouring out like some gross mass of tentacles, in the game all the lore and characters point to him just nonstop devouring everything, a lot of his cardinals are really fat dudes, there's slime and sludge all over Anor Londo...and then you fight him and he's this skinny-ass four-limbed gross snake-ass dude and it's nothing at all like I thought he would look. I thought he'd be some huge roiling mass of grossness and ooze and tentacles and shit.

That was quite a nice surprise. I think I might drop my sign outside his door because I liked that fight a whole heck of a lot.

He is one of my favourites as well. It helps that his theme is damn-amazing.

DS3's OST may have just snatched BB's throne as my favourite Soulsbourne soundtrack. <3

Well, completed the game twice now. Once with a Strength build, and the other with a Dexterity build. Here's what I ended up with without looking up wiki's to find optimal gear or any of that nonsense...

VGDnnDa.png

STRENGTH BUILD

Fashion Souls: Executioner's Helm, Executioner's Gauntlets. Executioner's Leggings, Knight Armour.
Weapons: Heavy Infused Drang Hammers +10, Butcher's Knife +10, Heavy Infused Zweihander +10, Sniper Crossbow +10, Lothric Knight Greatsheild
Roll speed: Medium (Below 70% weight load)

bHTRCvT.png

DEX BUILD

Fashion Souls: Billed Mask, Dancer's Armour, Pontiff Knight Gauntlets, Sunless Leggings
Weapons: Estoc +10, Onkiri And Ubudachi +10, Refined Astora's Greatsword +10, Black Bow Of Pharis +10, Pierce Sheild
Roll Speed: Medium (Below 70% weight load)

Beat the boss then went straight into
Dancer
with no ethers, and nearly beat him. Noidea how, since then died so many times to him.

Just made it to
Lothric Bros
, is this the final boss?

Love their design. Love all the bosses in this game tbh. I think it's beating out Dark Souls 1 and BB.

LiK

G
rand
A
rchives
was a pretty shitty dungeon. The same stupid worker enemies and that sage plus those lame guys. I dunno, the overall layout and reused enemies made it felt extremely lazy and rushed. Also, those
grabby curse hands
were awful traps and looked pretty goofy. I dunno, can't believe this is near the end and that's what they came up with.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well, completed the game twice now. Once with a Strength build, and the other with a Dexterity build. Here's what I ended up with without looking up wiki's to find optimal gear or any of that nonsense...

VGDnnDa.png

STRENGTH BUILD

Fashion Souls: Executioner's Helm, Executioner's Gauntlets. Executioner's Leggings, Knight Armour.
Weapons: Heavy Infused Drang Hammers +10, Butcher's Knife +10, Heavy Infused Zweihander +10, Sniper Crossbow +10, Lothric Knight Greatsheild
Roll speed: Medium (Below 70% weight load)

bHTRCvT.png

DEX BUILD

Fashion Souls: Billed Mask, Dancer's Armour, Pontiff Knight Gauntlets, Sunless Leggings
Weapons: Estoc +10, Onkiri And Ubudachi +10, Refined Astora's Greatsword +10, Black Bow Of Pharis +10, Pierce Sheild
Roll Speed: Medium (Below 70% weight load)
Just respeced to dex and got my OnU to +10
Gonna try the rest of this and see how it goes but OnU was kicking ass :)

Just respeced to dex and got my OnU to +10
Gonna try the rest of this and see how it goes but OnU was kicking ass :)

Gotthard's swords are also really great, so are the Drang hammers. The rest seem to lack oomph I should probably give the Dancer's swords again after the buff.

ramyeon

Alright, yo, real talk.

Aldrich

That skinny-ass dude isn't Aldrich, it's Gwyndolin being devoured by Aldrich. Aldrich is the sludge at the bottom that Gwyndolin is attached to.

That whole fight/area was HOLY SHIT FEELS for me. I was expecting Ornstein when walking into that boss chamber, no kidding. And then it's fucking Gwyndolin no wait it's Gwyndolin being eaten by a fucking sludge monster in a room full of sludge and corpses. So good.

Dimmle

I fear I'm coming up on the endgame and I need some advice:

Is there anything I should do before I
place the basin on the beheading knight's altar
? I'm not asking for an ending guide, just whether or not this is a point of no return.

Also, any tips on those awful gator enemies?

ZangBa

So here I am doing
Anri's
questline and get up to the part where I help
her kill Aldritch. As soon as I run up to the boss she dies instantly.
WTF, great NPC survivability here.

george_us

Finished it in a little under 27 hours with every boss and area done along with some PvP, and only some minor secrets missed (along with screwing up most of the NPC sidequests, but, like every Souls game, it's not like you're going to work those out without a walkthrough or a bunch of trial and error).

Most of the length of the games comes from dying and getting stuck on stuff, so after you git gud and die rarely (which happens after hundreds of hours on four previous mechanically similar games) you get through stuff pretty fast.
Not only that but being able to teleport everywhere from the start cuts down on play time considerably. A lot of my time in Dark Souls 1 was spent running around back and forth through different areas.

So here I am doing
Anri's
questline and get up to the part where I help
her kill Aldritch. As soon as I run up to the boss she dies instantly.
WTF, great NPC survivability here.

Reading between the lines with npc dialogue seems to indicate she's really weak. So it seems to be in fiction. Its also totally possible to get stun locked to death on that boss with two of its abilities if the first hit get you.

Neat fact about that boss
his weapon is totally the gravelord sword.

LiK

need to point out they totally did a good job with bonfires next to enemies. the enemies won't even aggro on you until you get close unlike DkS2 where there were like 2 or 3 bonfires with enemies that jumped you as soon as you moved after teleporting in. that was bad.

Timeaisis

Not cheap at all; the bosses are just more technically involved than in the previous Souls games.

I love the bosses in this game.

I guess. Feels like a lot more room for error. As in, you make a bad roll and you go from max HP to death. The bosses seem really hit or miss in that respect.

Like,
Dancer
and
Twin Princes
. The first has a death combo, which, once you learn, if easy to avoid, but annoying as hell if you make one mistake. While
Prince
has a teleport, which is also easy to avoid, but the problem here is sometimes the camera doesn't co-operate, you loose lock-on and you get sideswipped from behind. Can't really dodge an attack you can't see. That's what I mean by gimmicky shit. Mostly frustrating. Meanwhile, some of the other bosses are really tough but really fair. Liie
Abyss Watchers
or
Aldrich
. Really quite hard, but you can learn them at least.

Just my two cents. Haven't finished the game yet.

ZangBa

Reading between the lines with npc dialogue seems to indicate she's really weak. So it seems to be in fiction. Its also totally possible to get stun locked to death on that boss with two of its abilities if the first hit get you.

Thankfully I saved the clip so I could look back. She tanked the arrows until she had a sliver of life left, then instead of healing, she got farted on and died. A little bit hilarious, actually.

Onemic

The game design for
the dancer
is completely stupid. If you die, how do you know where the hell
the dancer is?
I only met that girl(Which is the only hint of where to go if you dont one shot the boss) in the cathedral once and she was never mentioned again, so why did From think that I'd remember such a character and her location? I had to use a wiki to find out how to find the boss, because I just ended up searching
ithryll dungeon.

Stencil

So I'm in the Blue Sentinels and the covenant icon next to my health/stamina bars is flashing white... Does that mean anything? Does this just work passively and I'll be summoned whenever/wherever needed or do I need to be in the same area people are being invaded?

Otnopolit

Neat fact about that boss
his weapon is totally the gravelord sword.

There's something you can do for her quest line to give her the powah to succeed. :)

Wait so is there a trick to beating Y
horm?
I thought I heard something about a weapon. I picked it up and it does like no damage to him

Dimmle

I fear I'm coming up on the endgame and I need some advice:

Is there anything I should do before I
place the basin on the beheading knight's altar
? I'm not asking for an ending guide, just whether or not this is a point of no return.

Also, any tips on those awful gator enemies?

Could someone who's cleared the game answer this?

Tingle

So I'm in the Blue Sentinels and the covenant icon next to my health/stamina bars is flashing white... Does that mean anything? Does this just work passively and I'll be summoned whenever/wherever needed or do I need to be in the same area people are being invaded?

You can be summoned for anybody in the game world, and it flashes white when the game is looking for a host. But the covenant is basically broken right now, because the covenant is built around a flawed premise.

Nobody sticks to the covenant required to summon a blue phantom for long (there is no reward for being in that covenant), and there are many, many more people trying to be summoned than get summons.

Its just plain bad game design, don't expect very many summons, unfortunately. I think I got around 10 my entire game, and I seem to be a high outlier.

MilkBeard

It just means that its active.

MilkBeard

You can be summoned for anybody in the game world, and it flashes white when the game is looking for a host. But the covenant is basically broken right now, because the covenant is built around a flawed premise.

I've been summoned 10-15 times in this playthrough in
Lothric Castle and Grand Archives

I do wish they could have made less restrictions, but it works if you find the right areas.

I think I'm going to have to come to terms with the idea that I can't beat the N
ameless
K
ing
solo at level 50. I've spent probably 20 embers trying. I just can't trigger the stagger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom