• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanOC91

Dried Fingers really are insane. It's like a guarantee to almost instantly get invaded by two people when using it.

Its really good fun!

Cathedral of the Deep... I'm so sick of the ambushes. It's not good game design, it's just not.

This is a brilliant game overall, but the ambushes are a blemish.

kagamin

Just got to
castle Lothric
How many areas are left?
This feels like the longest souls yet.

There is a hidden area near the base of the area if you wanna do some optional fights, but after a couple of boss fights on the path you're on currently you'll be at the final boss pretty much.

justjim89

Cathedral of the Deep... I'm so sick of the ambushes. It's not good game design, it's just not.

Yep, that area is god awful, especially with all the ambushes. The whole theme of the level seems to be mobs of enemies and ambushes. Sometimes both!

SRTtoZ

Ehhh. If you read the notes on the ground you will almost always know when an ambush happens. Plus look at the ceilings, you see those dudes chilling up there.

myco666

How much does luck/item discovery actually affect drop chances?

I tried farming items for one of the covenants and the drop rate with 55 luck, and all the item discovery gear I could muster (rapier offhand, rusty coin, gold covetous ring, symbol of avarice), and it made no noticeable difference to me.

Hell, I got more drops in 25 or so runs after helping someone beat a boss with 11 luck than I did when I had did several runs after I had respec'ed to have my luck at 55... I'm already losing my sanity and I need 20 more of these things. :(

I felt that it affected their droprate atleast a little. I was barely getting them at first with 250 item discovery but after respeccing to 99 Luck and got a Symbol of Avarice from gaffer they started to drop more often. Still very shitty droprate though.

Meccs

I really think the N
ameless King
Phase 2 should have been the first boss in DS3. It is a good representation of the later encounters that are for the most part even deadlier than the bosses. I hated the P
ontiff Sulyvahn
fight and love the N
ameless King
one. P
ontiff
did feel a bit too much like a Devil May Cry arcade twitch based encounter. I'm too old for that...

Dahbomb

I really think the N
ameless King
Phase 2 should have been the first boss in DS3. It is a good representation of the later encounters that are for the most part even deadlier than the bosses. I hated the P
ontiff Sulyvahn
fight and love the N
ameless King
one. P
ontiff
did feel a bit too much like a Devil May Cry arcade twitch based encounter. I'm too old for that...
LMAO @ that boss being first boss for DS3... many consider it the hardest in the game.

Plus it's too cool to be first boss. Should've been third last boss fight. Technically you can still do that.

I really think the N
ameless King
ontiff Sulyvahn
fight and love the N
ameless King
one. P
ontiff

If that was the first boss there would be a ton of people who never get past it.

You'll love the spear throwing silver knights later on.

There's a path through there that trivializes them assuming you don't have issues with silver knights under normal circumstances.

justjim89

Fuck
Aldrich
. Probably died against her 25 times by now, and I've gotten to the second phase 90% of those times. What bullshit, it's like they were wondering how to make an easy boss more infuriating and somebody said,
"Give her fire and let her attack three times as much! Instead of a volley of arrows focused on one location, make it rain arrows and follow the player around the room ten seconds! Even if the player is standing directly next to the boss, she'll still nonsensically shoot those arrows and be absolutely fine! Force the arrows to come at such a speed that the player needs to break targeting and sprint away, leaving themselves open for a beam attack!"
Doesn't help that the one time I got her down to a sliver of health, I got booted from the game due to framerate and put in offline mode. When I continue my game, I'm outside the boss room and she has all her health back. Fuck that.

I know I vent in this thread a lot and probably seem ill-equipped to handle this game, but the bosses have kinda always been my least favorite part of the series.

Ogawa-san

I don't get how the reward for doing co-op bosses works. Sometimes I get half the reward (19k with 30% extra souls), sometimes I get almost 40k. I thought it'd have to do with number of phantoms but nope, I got 40k with 4 people once and just got 19k with the host + a NPC.

ultrazilla

So I've never played a Dark Souls game at all NeoGAF. Dead serious. If I buy part 3, will I miss out on any of the previous lore or will it do a good job of getting me up to speed?

This is basically a hack and slash like the old school "Golden Axe" and such right? Where you just run down a bunch of baddies, fight a boss and progress?

Seems like it'd be fun.

Oh my God, just did Farron Keep last night, holly molly!!! I think it was a tad too much with
the swamp, walking like you're burdened with mount Olympus on your back, poisoned all the time, those fucking frogs with the curses and the cherry on top, those huge fucking trees.
It looks very cool, but I just wanted to get out of there. I don't know if I missed something important like NPCs or items, I did my best to look everywhere. Did you guys like this first area of the Keep?

So I've never played a Dark Souls game at all NeoGAF. Dead serious. If I buy part 3, will I miss out on any of the previous lore or will it do a good job of getting me up to speed?

This is basically a hack and slash like the old school "Golden Axe" and such right? Where you just run down a bunch of baddies, fight a boss and progress?

Seems like it'd be fun.

I played all of them for hundreds of hours and still have no fuckin clue what's goin' on. I'm in for the amazing gameplay and atmosphere.

Yea I tried my highest stat magic armor set for
Aldrich
, barely did anything

What you gain in magic defense you lose it on physical.

That boss uses both. I think there's a lot of armor which probably falls in the category medium and some heavy armor that definetly makes some difference.

myco666

I don't get how the reward for doing co-op bosses works. Sometimes I get half the reward (19k with 30% extra souls), sometimes I get almost 40k. I thought it'd have to do with number of phantoms but nope, I got 40k with 4 people once and just got 19k with the host + a NPC.

You got probably summoned to NG+ when you got more souls.

The most annoying thing is that there's just a small variety of movesets that are actually effective (re: too effective) in pvp and it's just annoying to have to be funneled into those playstyles just to be able to not be completely disadvantaged.

Swordspears and Uchis everywhere

edit: the effectiveness of the running stab is stupid; I've always hated how shitty the lag is in pvp. I think "fair" pvp is just a giant farce.

go equip an estoc and parrying shield and get every covenant item you need.

Also protip, weapon arts only need 1 FP, so just carry around a simple broken straight sword and spam whatever weapon arts you want with zero ashen estus.

spellcasters just can't catch a break

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member

Seems like it'd be fun.

it's no hack and slash. You won't realize some references by not playing the first 2 games. I recommend trying Dark Souls 1, just to see if you like the way the game plays.

ultrazilla

Oh my God, just did Farron Keep last night, holly molly!!! I think it was a tad too much with
the swamp, walking like you're burdened with mount Olympus on your back, poisoned all the time, those fucking frogs with the curses and the cherry on top, those huge fucking trees.
It looks very cool, but I just wanted to get out of there. I don't know if I missed something important like NPCs or items, I did my best to look everywhere. Did you guys like this first area of the Keep?

I played all of them for hundreds of hours and still have no fuckin clue what's goin' on. I'm in for the amazing gameplay and atmosphere.

Ok. I mean, I've watched some youtube videos to try to get a feel for the game. I know it's supposed to be hard and what not but I like the look of the action and atmosphere like you said. I'm also not sure about the multiplayer component? I guess people can either raid your game or help you? That sounds cool.

Unicorn

Holy shit this first skill check in this game right out of the gate.

Also, on PC I'm getting some frame drops. I'm going to mess with a few settings, but it seems pretty random.

Roussow

Just cleaning up on a couple of tasks before heading into NG+

I'm not in mound-makers, is there a sure fire way to get at least 1 single Vertebra Shackle?

ZangBa

This might not be so bad to do a no death run of. So far on my second character, every boss has been an easy one shot. At least I know none of them were flukes before.

Farming for Warden Twinblades and no luck. Complaining on GAF on hopes that the next run will drop it for me.

Edit- 3 runs later and they finally drop!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm speaking in terms of PVP, dunno about PVE, also never fat roll, ever, never never ever. Armmor of Thorns deals nice poise damage on rolls though I'll say.

It seems like by going through what was being said in the community, poise is exactly useless in PVP, since even if you're wearing big armor with huge poise you *can* and *will* get stunlocked by someone using, say, fast-stabbing knife or rapier, when it shouldn't work that way at all.

Farming for Warden Twinblades and no luck. Complaining on GAF on hopes that the next run will drop it for me.

Whelp if level 50ish people are looking to do some invading the first half of Irithyll is the right place it seems. Most people seem to know what they are getting into, but no real gang s roaming for kills or silly pvp arenas. Occasionally I do get people on the bridge though and then I feel bad.

In regards to poise all I know is that I'll use stomp with an UGS and still get knocked out of the attack. That doesn't seem okay.

Zocano

go equip an estoc and parrying shield and get every covenant item you need.

Also protip, weapon arts only need 1 FP, so just carry around a simple broken straight sword and spam whatever weapon arts you want with zero ashen estus.

spellcasters just can't catch a break

That's cool and all but I did just that. Parrying is fine, but even with hornet+leo I only did 600 damage with the parry and the guy got up and UGS'd me anyway. The estoc is a good annoying weapon but the range and damage + lag of the UGS are hard to deal with when they kill me in 3 swings and I need upwards of 15. I was annoyed that I probably had to respec so I stopped trying to pvp tonight but my mostly pyro (faith/int) build got no progress. Raw estoc + 10 with fire enchant still nada.

Was gonna look into forging a OHK parry build just so I can get easy wins out of the way and parry fish my way to victory. Suppose it's something like an UGS + hornet

edit: I'm aware my main issue is that most of my points are in faith/int and thus my damage output is lol but what I'm getting at is that the end-game pvp "meta" is silly and just brews min-max'd garbage that I don't care for. You know what I liked? Doing farron invasions around SL 30. That shit was fun. It was 1v2 or 2v2 most of the time and was hectic and maniacal and great. And most of all there wasn't much in the way of min-max'd builds and it was better for it.

Fair/dueling pvp was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

robin2

finally playing it.

I think they exaggerated a bit with the shield punishment. At least with knights: 2 attacks out of 3 always bash my shield away. I have weapon arts but it's a finite resource, while they can to that forever.

The "darkness" undeads are tricky too. They're already hard to read, and with their height (and the sloped terrain, for the one on the roof), the camera goes crazy and it's very hard to understand what's going on. They indeed look cool but sometimes it's like fighting inside a geometry glitch. Thankfully you can
kill them before they transform

Syder

Just beat W
olnir
and made it to I
rithyll of the Boreal Valley
. Not even sure how I beat that boss. Seemed to have tons of health so I just whaled away on it with my trusty Claymore.

This new location is so Bloodborney.

Jombie

Bumped my luck up to 33 and there's absolutely no difference in drop rates for covenant items. Most un fun experience I've had with a Souls game.

finally playing it.

I think they exaggerated a bit with the shield punishment. At least with knights: 2 attacks out of 3 always bash my shield away. I have weapon arts but it's a finite resource, while they can to that forever.

The "darkness" undeads are tricky too. They're already hard to read, and with their height (and the sloped terrain, for the one on the roof), the camera goes crazy and it's very hard to understand what's going on. They indeed look cool but sometimes it's like fighting inside a geometry glitch. Thankfully you can
kill them before they transform

The shield bash knights are few and far between enough that you can freely use weapon skills to kill them.

Soodanim

Do you think they'll patch the lock on being lost when a big enemy passes over your head? Sort of defeats the point of a lock on.

Zocano

Do you think they'll patch the lock on being lost when a big enemy passes over your head? Sort of defeats the point of a lock on.

That's been a thing since Demon's Souls so I'm gonna guess no.

Alternatively, play without lock on. If the target is larger than three times your size you probably shouldn't be locking on.

jb1234

Aldrich
is such bullshit. Good lord. It's admirable that he's difficult in a completely different way from
Pontiff
but the way he spams his moves feels a little cheap (especially in his second phase with the arrow trail that you're running away from and then he'll just randomly throw those magic blasts at you that are impossible to dodge because you're too busy running).

myco666

edit: I'm aware my main issue is that most of my points are in faith/int and thus my damage output is lol but what I'm getting at is that the end-game pvp "meta" is silly and just brews min-max'd garbage that I don't care for. You know what I liked? Doing farron invasions around SL 30. That shit was fun. It was 1v2 or 2v2 most of the time and was hectic and maniacal and great. And most of all there wasn't much in the way of min-max'd builds and it was better for it.

I agree. Best times are with 3v3 where everyone is running around the map and 'friendly fire' makes it even more interesting.

Bumped my luck up to 33 and there's absolutely no difference in drop rates for covenant items. Most un fun experience I've had with a Souls game.

One point in luck equals one point in item discovery so you really need to get it to 99 if you want it to benefit farming.

That's cool and all but I did just that. Parrying is fine, but even with hornet+leo I only did 600 damage with the parry and the guy got up and UGS'd me anyway. The estoc is a good annoying weapon but the range and damage + lag of the UGS are hard to deal with when they kill me in 3 swings and I need upwards of 15. I was annoyed that I probably had to respec so I stopped trying to pvp tonight but my mostly pyro (faith/int) build got no progress. Raw estoc + 10 with fire enchant still nada.

Was gonna look into forging a OHK parry build just so I can get easy wins out of the way and parry fish my way to victory. Suppose it's something like an UGS + hornet

Pyromancy is the one school of magic worth while. Check this out

STR users want to trade with you, so part of playing a caster/ dex build is preventing that. Alternatively, respec and pick up Morne's great hammer and cast Wrath of Gods with infinite poise for insane damge with fast cast speed. That'll beat the lag and you'll win in trades.

Also that weapon art is better then the actual spell in literally every way.

Step 1: Lure them close
Step 2: L2

Aldrich
is such bullshit. Good lord. It's admirable that he's difficult in a completely different way from
Pontiff
but the way he spams his moves feels a little cheap (especially in his second phase with the arrow trail that you're running away from and then he'll just randomly throw those magic blasts at you that are impossible to dodge because you're too busy running).

Yeah, it's one of the most poorly designed bosses IMO. Someone just a bit earlier hit the nail on the head when they said its an easy boss that they contrived to make difficult through a few artificial solutions.

Also, think I'm officially done with this game. It's actually held my attention much longer than I thought it would. I've started half a dozen characters and finished the game (all bosses) on two of them, but there's little build variation in terms of how one actually plays the game, and after the first time through most of the bosses are very easy, both of which really limit this game's replayability compared to previous entries. That, combined with the fact that this is the worst (most boring, shallow) PVP experience I've had in any souls game thus far, just makes me not want to continue any longer.

I don't want to sound completely negative, because overall, I think that this is the most polished, and artistically inspired entry in the series so far.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Don't put a summon there.
No one is interested in Vordt. You will be taken to Dancer 9 out of 10.
Meh. Whoever summons at level 20 or so for the
Dancer
is a complete idiot. It happened to me once, I did 60 damage per swing and the host got one-shot. Well DUH.

These guys had cleared the entire area out of enemies and either were at the beginning of the level or waiting somewhere to ambush invaders. This was practically every single invasion I got today. I also invaded the same world bunch of times in a row and still they the same thing. Their only intention was clearly to gank invaders and it sucks since they are on the highest priority and you get matched with them constantly.

People trying to get through the level with 2 summons is fine and I don't mind but at my level that isn't happening and it is always a gank squad.

Yeah that happened to me a few times. They use dried fingers to get more summons too. I faced a few 5v1. Assholes.

Wtf? Cathedral of the Deep was fantastic.

CotD saved the early game for me.

I'd been a little bit disappointed with the game, or rather i couldn't settle into it, I was fed up with FK, and those stupid ram trees.

So i went up there and it's where i started to feel at ease so to speak. Post AW the game as been fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom