• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does anyone win a 3x1? Are the 3 guys nerfed somehow?

Start running.

Bait a running attack from the host because they don't know better than press R1.

Parry and proceed to destroy him while the other 2 phantoms watch with impotence how their gank party ended in tragedy.

Use your favorite gesture and laugh at them

With a weapon with broad sings its totally doable especially if you get the jump on them. The trick is to use the environment and retreat when necessary. I just got a few 3v1 wins collecting 30 vertebrae and in most instances the just got greedy thinking they cornered me, but Gotthard's twinblades have one heck of a range and arc horizontally. In other cases they would get separated by the environment, which makes a person easy to pick off. I also like to after blue spirits if they just got summoned in they seem to not have a real feel for the tempo of how things are going, so they can laid into quickly and removed. Like I said earlier though if its a gank squad forget it they are way too prepared know the area and sometimes have friends laying in wait.

A parry hornets ring insta-gib works too.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Invasions, PvP and PvE wouldn't be much of a thing to complain about if they fixed sliders.

During my sunbro helping for a few hours last night I had 5 out of 21 slide which made the boss stand still for me so ez kill + some had sliding invaders while the host was all fine.

Super annoying as its hard to counter what you can't see, literally have to predict what they might think without movement to support it.

Rosaria's Fingers and Leonhard quest spoilers below.

Is there any point in giving Rosaria her soul back? I can still do everything normally either way right?

Ferr986

Alright real talk, I'm near the end of the game and just wanted to share my feelings on the soundtrack so far which I'm going to be honest, has been a little disappointing. It was one of the aspects of the game I was looking forward to the most and while I did have high expectations, I had reason to believe they could easily succeed them. The latest set of tracks accompanying a Souls game, the Bloodborne Old Hunters DLC, were the composers pulling all the stops and hitting all the right, cliche-in-the-best-way notes, a real triumph and series-high. The consensus on Dark Souls 3's soundtrack from people who had their hands on it first was that it was all the way from great to Old Hunter-tier and the latter was pretty much the magic descriptor to get me on board. The second track we heard from this game many months ago, what is now the menu theme, was how I envisioned the rest of the game to be like. Even at under 3 minutes it's one of my favourite pieces and sadly, none of the tracks so far have matched it which may sound a little hyperbolic but I genuinely didn't get the same feelings or same emotions evoked listening to the boss themes compared to that track. In general, I'm still holding out for a track to absolutely blow my face off like Suzuki's Living Failures with its deliciously ham vocal interlude which I feel would fit right in. Mind you a fair amount of the music in the Souls games takes a while for me to fully appreciate and some of the tracks that have stuck to me the most were the ones I fell in love with last so I'm not writing off the music or anything, Kitamura and the team have something to be proud of. It's just that so far, I'm not loving it as much as I had hoped. There's no doubt I'll come to enjoy it a lot more after re-listening to them, especially with the full length versions popping up on Youtube, but even so, it's not likely to have the particular emotions I wanted to have evoked.

Surprising to read that, I consider the OST to be on the same level as the best stuff off Bloodborne.

Tingle

Is there any point in giving Rosaria her soul back? I can still do everything normally either way right?

Don't give it back, because then
you would be missing out on a spell.
There is no benefit for giving it back, all of
her features are available while she is dead.

myco666

I really don't know why you would give her soul back. You can do everything without giving it back.

Lord Phol

Sooo is this game considered laggy? I was just summoned twice. First time I couldn't enter the fog to help the guy out and there was a mob frozen on some stairs. The other time me and the other pahtom couldn't get hurt by the boss but we could hit him. He was just floating/skating around the arena looking all goofy until we killed him. Kind of funny

nowarning

"Finished" it last night, 39 hours on the clock. Great game, I really enjoyed it. I'm probably going to start some NG+ stuff tonight.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Like a boss

iIjgEV0.gif

bigol

Going full mage really slowed me down especially during the early-mid game. I'm at 45 hours,now approaching the ending areas,

Tingle

I really don't know why you would give her soul back. You can do everything without giving it back.

I suppose on NG+, if you find
women rubbing maggots cute.
If you already
have her spell or just don't want it
there is no reason not to, I suppose.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I got a
Dark Sword
first time I tried farming for one with the
Darkwraith
you need to kill to get the
Red Eye Orb
. Then I kill it again and got its
pants, mask and gloves

I'm feeling lucky.

Does anyone know if I can
cure the Hollowing caused by Yoel's questline while still getting the corresponding ending
? If so, when am I safe to do it?

mxgt

Banned
Does anyone know if I can
cure the Hollowing caused by Yoel's questline while still getting the corresponding ending
? If so, when am I safe to do it?

Nope. If you
heal the Dark Sigil then you cannot get that ending. However, you can use Purging Stones or Velka's statue to reverse the effect until you die again and still get the ending

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I found myself in the reverse situation with me running at them while the bridge fell. I made it, rolled passed them and used my Force Miracle to knock them all forward off the cliff. I'm sure they were pissed that they basically killed themselves cutting that bridge~

Bridge souls is best souls lol.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Nope. If you
heal the Dark Sigil then you cannot get that ending. However, you can use Purging Stones or Velka's statue to reverse the effect until you die again and still get the ending

Ah, crap. Is the
ending really that different? Or is it just some minor differences from the regular endings?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yoooooooooo that Gif of both the host and a phantom getting eaten by a mimic as the invader watches and laughs

MGrant

Ah, crap. Is the
ending really that different? Or is it just some minor differences from the regular endings?

They are all
very short, but they are pretty different. But if you listen to what the NPCs say about what they will help you do (i.e. which ending path you will get), you know what to expect.

Same. About the same number of hours, more or less (one or two max was for PvP or helping randoms). Level 90 or so.

You can parry
Aldrich
? o_O Weird, most of his attacks seemed magical. Or do you mean spell-parry? Interesting...

They seem annoyed. I would be too.

Haha nah! I made an edit. Got
Pontif
and
Aldrich
confused.

I just got
married
and it was fucking weird and man do I look like a piece of beef jerky that's been sitting in the sun for years.

Ah, crap. Is the

It's literally
a slightly different 10 second Cutscene. This game is not about the story and they sure as hell dont give it to you at the end
. You either care about the trophy or dont stress about not seeing it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do you have a particular post where you go in depth on your thoughts of this game?
Not quite yet! I will make one eventually :)

ogbg

Are Bleed weapons viable later in the game for PvE? I'm really digging the starter bandit knife with the quick dash.

I did a complete playthrough with that knife. It's pretty great actually. Some bosses bleed more than others so some will be quite tough but I found it to be a really fun weapon and the quickstep is pretty useful.

ogbg

Fuck. Me. I fucked up the
Usurpation of Fire
ending. I was super careful of going and doing everything I needed to and I blew it because of a message. At least I got my Black Blade to +6 now which beats my Uchigatana.

TitusTroy

does infusing a STR weapon with a Heavy Gem only matter when you're at a lower level?...seems like when you get to a higher Level the Gem doesn't make any difference

Veelk

Banned
does infusing a STR weapon with a Heavy Gem only matter when you're at a lower level?...seems like when you get to a higher Level the Gem doesn't make any difference

I think it depends on the spec levels.

I'm in a pickle because I poured stats int both STR and DEX, and my Greatsword has a C in both, so it scales from both of them. However, if use a heavy gem, it will up the STR scaling, while eliminating the DEX scaling, which actually averages out to a lower score in the end.

ogbg

I think it depends on the spec levels.

I'm in a pickle because I poured stats int both STR and DEX, and my Greatsword has a C in both, so it scales from both of them. However, if use a heavy gem, it will up the STR scaling, while eliminating the DEX scaling, which actually averages out to a lower score in the end.

Sounds like you should use a refined gem

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I love the game but my neighbours probably don't. "What! Fuck this bullshit jumping medusa enemy! Noooo! I hate you mystery platearmour knight! Aaaaaarggghhh!"

Then I beat the enemy and all is well in the world again.

myco666

LOL I am about to backstab someone and suddenly they teleport behind my back and do a backstab on me. These duels can be so bad at times.

Momentary

Banned
I missed every damn side quest in the first play through. Now I've got to play the game two more times just to get everything done. Are there any solid guides yet for the NPC quests? I'm not going to do this again without a guide this go around.

Veelk

Banned
While the letter grade may not necessarily go up the scaling should still be better.

I'll recheck when I get back to my apartment later today (like, way later), but I went through all the gems, and they all added up to something less than the damage output I was giving. I know with refined gem, it was literally only like a point or two less, but still less.

Derpot

The soundtrack is so epic and memorable :O
Mid-game boss spoiler in the name, obviously

...and this one. I love how it suddenly goes from sad melancholia to epic camina burana. :D
Boss name, again...Just click and look away if you only want to listen :)

The almost russian sounding second part makes this one:
I liked that fight, too. Especially with more people. Poor dude!

Do you guys have any favourites?

The A
byss Watchers
' theme is now my favorite music of all the series.
I also love D
eacons of the
D
eep
a lot. I love how their music is very different from the others. It doesn't sound "epic", it sounds more like eerie.

- Use the environment and other enemies to your advantage.
- Go after the phantoms and kill them to get Estus flasks back.
- Running away and doing a sudden turn around parry can win a fight.
- Throwing knives and Kukri are handy to have when someone is backing away to heal. Likely faster than any spells or pulling out a bow.
- There's no invasion timer, so run around and take as long as you like while dealing with the host and phantoms. The longer you stay the more likely another invader will pop in to help you as well.

I never really liked ganks in the previous games but being able to get more Estus from killing phantoms has changed my tune. I've done heaps of invading and it's been mostly ganks but in this game I love it.

I'll recheck when I get back to my apartment later today (like, way later), but I went through all the gems, and they all added up to something less than the damage output I was giving. I know with refined gem, it was literally only like a point or two less, but still less.

Then you don't have enough points in either to be worthwhile. But with almost all the quality weapons like the claymore refined is better.

Armaly

So i'm currently fighting
Nameless King
during one of my runs to the door I noticed a developer message telling me
not to ring the bell if I wanted to follow the path of the dragon.
What exactly am I missing out on?

Anybody want to be a punching bag for a while? Need 11 shackles and seems like barely anyone is playing atm.

If you have the gear required, consider this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qIP6HuCwaI

I actually got 10 per hour (but I've invested 15 points into luck, so theres that) I got my first 15 shackles through mound maker but I just got bored of 3v1's, as others have said, once you nuke the host, you've won, but it still takes way, way more effort than just farming those 2 dumb ass skeletons.

From has really done a number on the convenant rewards this time round, and mound maker might have the worst rewards of the lot. The pyromancy spell, warmth, while cool in concept heals very little, you could argue that it would be great if you got hit with an Undead Hunter charm, but warmth doesn't do anything an equivalent 25 faith miracle can't, it might have some arguable usage if it used int rather than fth...

and the rank 2 katana has some of the worst base dmg of any katana in the game, even if it has good scaling. I'd nearly rather the covenant rewards were purely cosmetic and were just for show, and it least it would be more honest than the bargain basement junk they give you for all your hard effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom