• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

eloxx

Few notes after PVP

1) people who heal during fight clubs are idiots and deserve to get run over by a bus
2) people who use quality builds with insane stamina + clamors are booooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrring
3) fight clubs are a fun environment when assholes are doing #1

What about the healing rules in normal PVP like invasions. Im not a huge PVP player but back in DkS1 and 2 it was considered rude to heal, even during invasions, correct?

Then it BB the healing was more tolerated because you could parry it.

I've had a few invasions and they all healed. Is it still considered rude to heal in PVP?

daninthemix

Ambushes are more like the theme of the game.

This is why I play ultra-cautious with the bow, and pull most enemies when I see them. Usually, when I get to where they were, I get ambushed but can now deal with the ambush alone.

Seriously, anyone fed up of all the PVE ganks, get a bow. It'll be your best friend.

Auctopus

Anyone calling
Aldrich
cheap is wrong, probably one of the best fights in the game. Classic learn the boss' moves and perfect your counters. It's like people don't wanna be challenged.

jb1234

Yeah, it's one of the most poorly designed bosses IMO. Someone just a bit earlier hit the nail on the head when they said its an easy boss that they contrived to make difficult through a few artificial solutions.

It's infuriating. I feel like the game hit a massive difficulty spike after the
Catacombs
and it's mostly been a cheap hard, which is something I'd never describe DS1 as (aside from the asshole curse frogs). Not having as much fun as I was in the first half.

sappyday

Are you on PC? Perhaps you're one of the ones who got banned for no reason. Or maybe its the Mound Makers sign.

No I'm on PS4 and I'm trying to someone for a boss but every summon sign I try gives me the "Unable to summon player" bullshit even though for some reason I get summoned quick.

Anyone calling
Aldrich
cheap is wrong, probably one of the best fights in the game. Classic learn the boss' moves and perfect your counters. It's like people don't wanna be challenged.

The only thing I didn't care for in that fight is the way the
spells magnitude increased in part two of the fight.
Its something that with one spell in particular can throw you off and isn't really fair.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aldrich's
one of my favorite boss fights of the game, which I feel had the least amount of bullshit. You learn the patterns, then you develop a strategy. No circle strafing to exploit the AI, or 10 minutes of dodging 7 hit combos, or instant kill grabs.

The worst part of it is the camera but it's still not nearly as bad as a lot of other fights.

MortosDer

Neo Member
So, after 15+ tries against
Pontiff Sulyvahn I decided to stand right next to him, walk sideways in circles and what do you know?
Easy mode activated. He couldn't even use that freaking rushdown were he never stops attacking.
Then next boss
Aldrich, after 4 tries I got the hang of the fight and I was one hit away from winning I just went for it as the arrows came down.
.. We both died. It's been a productive day.

Haly

Some of the bosses will respond the same way if you're in the same spot to the left or right of them. It's possible to get G
undyr
, P
ontiff
or O
ld Demon King
into a repetitive pattern that's just easier to handle than their normal stuff.

Jombie

Catacombs
and it's mostly been a cheap hard, which is something I'd never describe DS1 as (aside from the asshole curse frogs). Not having as much fun as I was in the first half.

It's put a sour taste in my mouth. Dark Souls had graceful enemies that could be easily countered when learned. Enemies in this game just have an endless barrage of attacks and it's just tiring. Even the
silver knights
bash and pound their swords about like they're clubs. I've done challenge runs in all of these games, and it's not just challenge here, it's overkill.

mxgt

Banned
Catacombs

Honestly I didn't feel like the game was cheap at any moment, not even
Aldrich
- when I died it was my fault.

I think it's very consistently designed. Sure, there are a lot of ambushes but I don't think there's any zone that is close to as bad as Lost Izalith and there's certainly no boss that is as cheap as Bed of Chaos.

myco666

Being inventive during invasions is super fun. Doing some invasions at
Irythill Dungeon
and the host healed so I decided to open all the cell doors. Bye bye.

Scholar of the First Sin is way worse about hey fuck you here's this really strong guy in a hidden corner with infinite stamina. Short of two bosses I've been going through this game at level 50 just fine and soloing everything. The only reason I haven't cleared those two is mostly because I got bored and decided to invade for a bit.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I keep getting summoned into gang bangs when I invade and I'm not getting summoned with the white stone at all.

What level? Granted I'm still at 40, but been getting plenty of summoning action from the Church of the Deep Chapel bonfire. Make sure your settings are as open as possible (worldwide, unrestricted, etc.)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I see people are whining about ambushes in this game too. Have you guys never played a Souls game before? lol

I guess we can stop blaming the "B team" now, at least?

What level? Granted I'm still at 40, but been getting plenty of summoning action from the Church of the Deep Chapel bonfire. Make sure your settings are as open as possible (worldwide, unrestricted, etc.)

50 with +8 weapons, but I've since dealt with it by moving to somewhere else. I just need three more shackles.

I see people are whining about ambushes in this game too. Have you guys never played a Souls game before? lol

I guess we can stop blaming the "B team" now, at least?

No see the B Team made this too! Miyazaki just put his name on this to make people happy! He's just working on Bloodborne 2 !

So unless I'm getting it wrong you only need two playthroughs to unlock all three endings. Since you could just copy the save to a USB at a decision point junction much like Bloodborne. One of the endings however requires a multitude of steps throughout so you really can't do that for that particular ending.

I died a bunch against
Pontif
..... And then I realized you can party him. It then became incredibly easy even with the second phase.
Aldrich
was also stupid easy along with the
Prince
dudes.

Anyways, just got done with the game. 47 hours. Soul Level 80. Didn't summon a single person for a boss fight. It's a self appointed rule when it comes to the Souls games. Everyone should feel the satisfaction of beating a boss on your own.

xorx

Banned
I love it in PvP when its 3v1, I kill the two summons and the host finally kills me and does a mocking gesture. Its really cool.

Cob32

What about the healing rules in normal PVP like invasions. Im not a huge PVP player but back in DkS1 and 2 it was considered rude to heal, even during invasions, correct?

Then it BB the healing was more tolerated because you could parry it.

I've had a few invasions and they all healed. Is it still considered rude to heal in PVP?

I just use an anything goes mentality. I don't get mad if an invader uses mobs or a host ganks me with phantoms.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I died a bunch against
Aldrich
..... And then I realized you can party him. It then became incredibly easy even with the second phase.

Anyways, just got done with the game. 47 hours. Soul Level 80. Didn't summon a single person for a boss fight. It's a self appointed rule when it comes to the Souls games. Everyone should feel the satisfaction of beating a boss on your own.
Same. About the same number of hours, more or less (one or two max was for PvP or helping randoms). Level 90 or so.

You can parry
Aldrich
? o_O Weird, most of his attacks seemed magical. Or do you mean spell-parry? Interesting...

You seem angry.
They seem annoyed. I would be too.

mxgt

Banned
I love it in PvP when its 3v1, I kill the two summons and the host finally kills me and does a mocking gesture. Its really cool.

I don't know what you expect?

When you invade anything goes really. You're trying to fuck over the host, but he fucks you over instead. /shrug

xorx

Banned

When you invade anything goes really. You're trying to fuck over the host, but he fucks you over instead. /shrug

I'm just disappointed that From kept the system that prioritizes people who have summons in invasions. In one invasion, I had a guy who sat at the bottom of the
Grand Archives
who kept summoning phantoms to fight me, as I tried to make my way down to him. I would kill one, and he would summon another.

Hale_C

This, basically.

edit:
I'm just disappointed that From kept the system that prioritizes people who have summons in invasions. In one invasion, I had a guy who sat at the bottom of the
Grand Archives
summoning 3 phantoms to fight me, as I tried to make my way down to him.

Sounds like fun? Those encounters, where something unexpected happens, are always the most interesting.

Impulsor

Does anybody know if the lingering dragon ring extends the effect of the Sunlight Sword Buff?

Would be awesome if so...

xorx

Banned
This, basically.

edit:

Sounds like fun? Those encounters, where something unexpected happens, are always the most interesting.

It was fun watching him die I guess. I just prefer Dark Souls 1's invading mechanics I guess, where you can really punish the Estus and I wouldn't be ganked as often.

Moonkid

Alright real talk, I'm near the end of the game and just wanted to share my feelings on the soundtrack so far which I'm going to be honest, has been a little disappointing. It was one of the aspects of the game I was looking forward to the most and while I did have high expectations, I had reason to believe they could easily succeed them. The latest set of tracks accompanying a Souls game, the Bloodborne Old Hunters DLC, were the composers pulling all the stops and hitting all the right, cliche-in-the-best-way notes, a real triumph and series-high. The consensus on Dark Souls 3's soundtrack from people who had their hands on it first was that it was all the way from great to Old Hunter-tier and the latter was pretty much the magic descriptor to get me on board. The second track we heard from this game many months ago, what is now the menu theme, was how I envisioned the rest of the game to be like. Even at under 3 minutes it's one of my favourite pieces and sadly, none of the tracks so far have matched it which may sound a little hyperbolic but I genuinely didn't get the same feelings or same emotions evoked listening to the boss themes compared to that track. In general, I'm still holding out for a track to absolutely blow my face off like Suzuki's Living Failures with its deliciously ham vocal interlude which I feel would fit right in. Mind you a fair amount of the music in the Souls games takes a while for me to fully appreciate and some of the tracks that have stuck to me the most were the ones I fell in love with last so I'm not writing off the music or anything, Kitamura and the team have something to be proud of. It's just that so far, I'm not loving it as much as I had hoped. There's no doubt I'll come to enjoy it a lot more after re-listening to them, especially with the full length versions popping up on Youtube, but even so, it's not likely to have the particular emotions I wanted to have evoked.

It was fun watching him die I guess. I just prefer Dark Souls 1's invading mechanics I guess, where you can really punish the Estus and I wouldn't be ganked as often.

Easiest way to punish estus flask is to carry undead hunter charms. A lot of people either forget or don't realize what it does in the middle of a fight and go to use an estus leaving them vulnerable. I'm generally okay with 3v1 as long as it isn't a dedicated gank squad. However when it gets passed that you may as well just black crystal out.

Haly

I was a pyro in my first run but this time I just use throwing knives. It aggros all those annoying thralls hanging around in Cathedral. Or when you need to pull some guy out of a patrol.

xorx

Banned
Easiest way to punish estus flask is to carry undead hunter charms. A lot of people either forget or don't realize what it does in the middle of a fight and go to use an estus leaving them vulnerable. I'm generally okay with 3v1 as long as it isn't a dedicated gank squad. However when it gets passed that you may as well just black crystal out.

Yeah, I started carrying Undead hunter charms now. But it kinda feels like most invasions are gank squads. I would invade and they would have summons around the corner waiting to back stab me.

Mendrox

Well there are also way more players today then back then which makes everything a bit more... like a party. :D

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Aldrich
is such bullshit. Good lord. It's admirable that he's difficult in a completely different way from
Pontiff
but the way he spams his moves feels a little cheap (especially in his second phase with the arrow trail that you're running away from and then he'll just randomly throw those magic blasts at you that are impossible to dodge because you're too busy running).

This is the hardest wall I've hit in any of the Souls games. I can constantly get him down to the last 20% of health but he just goes ape shit on me from that point and spams the arrow attack followed by a sweeping attack that removes 90% of my health as soon as I get close. I must of had 40 tries over the last couple of days. Today is the day though I can feel it

Progress question:

I'm at Ro
ad of Sacrifices
and have the choice of going to F
arron Keep
or C
athedral of the Deep
next, being around LVL 35, what would be the better area to go on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom