• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about the first area...

There were a few locked doors that I did not find a key for. Can someone tell me what I missed? Please spoiler tag it.

Under spoiler tag: First area boss spoilers
I found the lady that gave me the banner, I killed the dog boss and went to the next area. I did not kill the strong knight that is outside the banner lady's room.

Pejo

i saw 'Assman' and 'Hatsune Miku'

I got summoned into the world of "Not A Shitter" to assist with a boss once.

Was invaded by Dank Memengton.

So last night I went back to an area I missed C
athedral of the Deep
and had an absolutely amazing time playing through. I embered up, slapped on Way of Blue, summoned a single sunbro and headed out. I played through the entire level up to the
giants area on the floor
on a single charge of Estus, being invaded 3-4 times, auto-summoning blues, and encountering all sorts of traps and challenges. It was the most fun I've had playing the game yet, so many tense moments.

I really feel this game shines when you have a lot of multiplayer going on. At first I wanted the ability to say I solo'd everything the first playthrough, but it's just simply more fun to be embered and engaging in the wild world that PVP creates. Reminds me a lot of the feeling I got in early WoW days on a PVP server. It really creates a personal and memorable experience your first time through these areas.

Also, my next playthrough I am totally making a female character. The yell emote is just so damn antagonizing from a girl character. It makes my blood boil when an invader escapes with a hit or two of life left behind some tough enemies, heals and then gives me a few yells. Such a useful trolling tactic, and the male voice just doesn't do it nearly as well.

KingKong

Is it inarguable though that some bosses in DS3 do more damage in a single attack/grab than those in any other game in the series.

sure, but they also seem to have less health themselves, so it's a trade-off. you can kill them quicker with a higher risk of dying, or you can have a buffer. they give you enough estus and let you ember during fights either way. or you can just use a greatsword lol

Xeteh

Lots of bosses in this game seem to be combo machines that chew me up and spit me out. I'm about to go up about the final boss, so wish me luck lol.

Good luck man, its not too bad. Just frustrating to miss one roll and it means you get punished by multiple attacks because there is nothing you can do.

okay. Watchers of the Abyss. WTF.

Insane range. Hit like a truck. No use of shield, because, well, fuck this game design : shield and evade on the same resource. ha, who thought that was a good idea lmao. Their heavy sword attack nullified your stamina.

Can't parry. They have faster recover than me with a single hand weapons. Fair.

Insane agressivity. Game never connect back stab for some reason on these fuckers.

They are two. For some reason a trash sometimes appear and take agro, sometimes it doesn't take aggro, sometimes it agro me. okay........

I can sometimes cheese it with a Pike, and just poke poke poke and they prey to evade to recharge stamina and poke poke poke again.

Then Phase 2. The guy has the auto lock on his attacks ? no use of evasive rolls he always connects his attacks right on my fucking face.

This is some next level bullshit boss. This is Ludwig all over again. 3 hours on this fucking bullshit of spam fest.

I enjoy larger boss much more than fast agressive bullshit fuckers

They're a boss I died to a lot, but actually didn't get mad at because it seemed perfectly doable to me. Roll like your life depends on it, because it does. I was a magic person and the Abyss Watcher is crazy weak to magic. The most difficult part is putting distance between me and the boss, especially in the second phase. Took me over a dozen tries, but I did it with like 5 hp left.

LiK

Dodge and roll is way more important in this game than shields. Kinda blows when one or two attacks from a boss can stagger you pretty easily.

myco666

Eh. The problem is if I get summoned, I'd have to probably kill 2 or 3 phantoms and I just want to get this covenant reward out of the way.

I got instant invasions in
Irithyll Dungeon
at lvl100. Fantastic place to invade with lot of dangerous enemies, trap setups and places to get a drop on the host. Mostly 1v1 and 2v1 matches also.

edit. Thats where I got most of my Mound-makers rewards.

Xeteh

Dodge and roll is way more important in this game than shields. Kinda blows when one or two attacks from a boss can stagger you pretty easily.

Yeah, fighting some of these later game bosses it made me wonder how the Heavy Armor/Greatshield builds would even handle them.

Onemic

Insane range. Hit like a truck. No use of shield, because, well, fuck this game design : shield and evade on the same resource. ha, who thought that was a good idea lmao. Their heavy sword attack nullified your stamina.

Insane agressivity. Game never connect back stab for some reason on these fuckers.

They are two. For some reason a trash sometimes appear and take agro, sometimes it doesn't take aggro, sometimes it agro me. okay........

I can sometimes cheese it with a Pike, and just poke poke poke and they prey to evade to recharge stamina and poke poke poke again.

Then Phase 2. The guy has the auto lock on his attacks ? no use of evasive rolls he always connects his attacks right on my fucking face.

This is some next level bullshit boss. This is Ludwig all over again. 3 hours on this fucking bullshit of spam fest.

Ya, I had to summon for that one. Way too hard for me, especially because I was a pyro and in phase 2 he's even faster than in phase 1.

KingKong

Are you guys dodging backwards or forward? You should almost always be going forward or to their side, closer to the boss, and once you know the combo you get easy hits or heal times after their 2-3 attacks

Your dodge frames are pretty generous even without the ring, with a stamina build I could just roll through so many things like the entire dancer combo

Rocketz

Yep. That's why as soon as my stats were good enough to carry the Greatsword I dropped the shield.

kagamin

A
byss
W
alkers
is a joke, not only can your parry the boss, you can also
backstab
the boss, so basically
I just baited a jump attack repeatedly and roled into it for a free backstab over and over

You can parry them, btw.

Ophelion

Someone should have warned me that
Irithyll is the DS3 name for freaking Latria.

Got to that dungeon and was like, "Oh. OH. Oh, no..."

mxgt

Banned

absolutely, barely used shield at all on most bosses.

On second playthrough now and use small shield purely for parrying.

Citadel

55?????
Holy shit!
Either I was WAY underleveled for that fight at SL 30... Or you are way over leveled... ^_^;

Bahah, no, I'm pretty sure I was just really over-leved myself. I somehow missed
Farron Keep
completely when I was first exploring the area, and went to the
Cathedral of the Deep
first and leveled up over there. I gotta say, I love the grind hah.

CHC

It's pretty manageable to dodge them one on one, focus on that.

There are three of them. The way it works is that you've got the boss, a clone, and then a red eye clone. The boss attacks you. The clone attacks you. The red eye clone attacks the nearest target. As soon as the red eye clone comes alive, sprint past him so that the other two follow you past him. Once you're out of range the boss and his clone will both attack the red eye.

Once they start fighting him, that's when you bum rush and backstab. Then you wait for the red eye clone to come back to life and repeat.

That's the safest strategy.

For phase 2 you want to bait the charge attack where he holds his sword horizontally before attacking. You can dodge to his left and punish him heavily after that. Most of the other moves are a gamble to fuck with, but that one is safe. He has a number of charge attacks - one of which is followed by a very deadly spin move. The one you are looking for is telegraphed by a brief pause where he readies the charge and holds the sword out to his side, parallel with the ground. That's the move where you fucking get him.

Rizific

Why do I automatically invade someone else's game? Happened to me 3 times already. How do i stop that? Also 3 shot B
oreal
D
ancer
yesterday. That was a beautiful fight.

Why do I automatically invade someone else's game? Happened to me 3 times already. How do i stop that? Also 3 shot B
oreal
D
ancer

You are wearing some covenant's item. It's the slot next to your rings, take it off.

Got to
Old Demon King
last night after running past
the big ass giant worm and the trebuchet of doom

I got it down to one last hit on my first try before getting too greedy and getting myself killed. Now I can only get him halfway. Lol Why does this happen so much for me in these games, I guess I feel rushed to kill them on the second or third attempts and make too many mistakes.

kagamin

oreal
D
ancer

You must be in the Faithfuls or the Watchdogs covenant, unequip your covenant item.

Man, this thread moves way too fast. I'm still back on page 30ish.

At the dungeon now. Not looking forward to it.

Went back and mopped up a bunch of stuff in various areas last night and I totally screwed myself out of respecing.
Having to stop to feed a baby and came back, exited out of a menu screen and accidentally killed Rosaria. Shit shit shit.

There's another place you can respec.

Ophelion

Got to
Old Demon King
last night after running past
the big ass giant worm and the trebuchet of doom

I got it down to one last hit on my first try before getting too greedy and getting myself killed. Now I can only get him halfway. Lol Why does this happen so much for me in these games, I guess I feel rushed to kill them on the second or third attempts and make too many mistakes.

You are not alone. That happens to me on bosses all the time. Still haven't gone back to kill that guy. I found him, died quickly and went back to exploring elsewhere. I should go kick his teeth in.

kagamin

The funniest death I had on my first playthrough was killing
Aldrich
just as his arrows were coming down, killing us both, but it still counted as a win for me lol.

I should have raw gemed from the start of the game, damn. Had a huge increase in damage.

Raw seems to be pretty useful during the earlier parts of the game, I think heavy/refined are better once you have your stats up higher though. I'm using the Exile Greatsword with Heavy on it which took the scaling up to A and it is doing some nice damage and I can still use resins on it too. Does raw let you use resins still? I never tried it out.

Ferrio

Banned
Raw seems to be pretty useful during the earlier parts of the game, I think heavy/refined are better once you have your stats up higher though. I'm using the Exile Greatsword with Heavy on it which took the scaling up to A and it is doing some nice damage and I can still use resins on it too. Does raw let you use resins still? I never tried it out.

Ya, you can stiff buff raw weapons. Which makes it compliment my faith build.

kagamin

Raw does let you buff, if you're a faith build with 10 str 10 dex I highly recommend a raw Astora Straight Sword, as you can buff it with Sunlight Blade.

practice some in coop. make sure youre embered for the fight it helps. found the ice sword was able to stun lock him prety reliably. three hita following a Dodge then roll away

saturnine

Coop for Sunlight Medals, invasions for Pale Tongues, 22 invasion victories for Shackles (saturnine volunteered to kill himself/herself for the rest 8) and farmed Human Dregs, Wolf's Blood Swordgrass and Proofs. Yes I like to punish myself and do stuff that makes me hate the game.

You're more brave than I am. Still missing these proofs, but I think I'm going to wait, hoping for FROM to patch the covenant or the drop rate.

The rules for bosses in Dark Souls 3:

1. They change form, get another weapon, or just get way harder when they're at half health.

2. They have some bullshit grab attack that kills you in one hit.

3. They have help and/or other parties to fight while you fight them/

Two of the above must always apply.

The bosses have always been the worst part about the Souls series, but this game just takes it to a new level. Every boss feels exactly the same, using the same lame tricks to invoke challenge. I wish I could play at a steady enough framerate to remain online, so I could just summon my way through all these and just get through them. And the one fight that breaks the above rules requires you to use one weapon that's found in that boss room, meaning you're guaranteed a death or you navigate the awful inventory system and equip it mid fight. They really ran out of ideas on this, maybe it's good that this is the last Souls game.

While you're obviously hyperboling it to the max, I sorta agree with you. My favourite game in the series is still Demon's Souls because very few of its bosses are actual skill checks. Rather, they offer an interesting situation where you have to figure out what's going on. Once you know, that's half the battle already won.

I've grown really tired of the bullshit anime acrobatics bosses and huge monsters with messy patterns that started with Artorias/Manus and climaxed in Bloodborne (worst game in the series for me in part because of its bosses, and good lord that DLC was a deception). Thankfully, Dark Souls 3 still manages to invoke Demon's Souls spirits with some of its bosses (
the Tree, Wolnir, Deacons and Yhorm
were the most fun for me), though there are some git gud lol bosses in the mix.

Zocano

I got instant invasions in
Irithyll Dungeon
at lvl100. Fantastic place to invade with lot of dangerous enemies, trap setups and places to get a drop on the host. Mostly 1v1 and 2v1 matches also.

edit. Thats where I got most of my Mound-makers rewards.

thanks for the tip

squadr0n

Question about Yuria Quest Line: I found Anri
looking for Horace in the Catacombs and told her I havent seen him so far. Went to the Smouldering Lake and found Horace and Killed him. Was I supposed to kill him? And if so what is my next step? I just started Boreal Valley and found Anri again and this time she gave me a ring but didnt ask about Horace. Am I still on track to Marrying her?

Also what is the best upgrade path for the Uchigatana? Currently its at +5, should I infuse it and if so when is the best time too and with what type? What is considered the best katana? I just found the Dark Blade too but it doesnt seem to be any better, could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom