• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Finally finished it on hard. Definitely not as great as the original but it has it's moments. There needed to be more variety in the dungeons. The dungeons are the weakest part of the game outside of the easy bosses.

But I do love this trophy icon:
3CF.jpg

Seriously? Darksiders II definitely not as great as its predecessor? You and I must be playing a very different game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Honestly I think they messed up the forgelands dungeon structure a little bit. World 2 has a way better progression of dungeons though.

With world 1 everything in general had the same ideas and progression. If the final dungeon should have had only 1 major section to it.

World 2 you had two different themes for the dungeons so it didn't get drawn out

But honestly I dont mind it. I'm loving how much shit there is in the game and im exploring every single little nook and cranny with no guides. I've been experimenting testing stat growth doing all sorts of shit. Im barely on world three with 20 hours play time due to the amount of fucking around im doing.

XAL

So, some nub questions for someone who just exited the maker world:

1. Is there a max rank? (highest I've seen is 21)

2. All chest loot scales to your level, so I should I leave them all alone and wait until a higher rank to go back and break them open? Because 99.9% of the loot I'm getting from chests is worthless (I'm level 11)

3. Do Vulgrim's Death room loot chests contain scaled items, or are they set to a specific level req? Same for Crucible rewards? Special boss rewards, ie Gorewood/Deposed King?

4. What are the amount/quality of ingredients you need to feed possessed items to get the max desired outcome? (Basically what the **** am I doing?)

5. Is there anything/place that I can't back travel to?/Any point of no returns in this game?

That's all I can think of for now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hey wait where are the Vulgrim death rooms?

I have a couple bone keys but no idea where to use them.

1.Lost temple or what ever that place is called

2. where you fight the bonus ice boss

3. right in your fucking face when enter the zone

4. Idk im not there yet

2. All chest loot scales to your level, so I should I leave them all alone and wait until a higher rank to go back and break them open? Because 99.9% of the loot I'm getting from chests is worthless (I'm level 11)

3. Do Vulgrim's Death room loot chests contain scaled items, or are they set to a specific level req? Same for Crucible rewards? Special boss rewards, ie Gorewood/Deposed King?

4. What are the amount/quality of ingredients you need to feed possessed items to get the max desired outcome?

5. Is there anything/place that I can't back travel to?/Any point of no returns in this game?

1. 30 I believe. 22 on first playthrough

2. Yes all chest scale to your level EXCEPT for crucible chest

3. Yes they scale. Crucible answere already. boss rewards are preset

4. It goes based off what you fed it once stuffing it with a ton of shit that is really good doesnt boost it. Only a single item maters per level the last one.

5. You can go everywhere and anywhere until the point of no return. Well besides the starting zone

4. What are the amount/quality of ingredients you need to feed possessed items to get the max desired outcome?

1. 21-22 is the highest you can level up, first play through. Can't remember which one.

2. If you feel like you are decently geared for your level, then yeah, save those chests and come back when you are higher level.

3. I think all chests are level scaled, regardless of where they are. Not sure about crucible rewards, and I think Legendary items are the same no matter what. You can get a legendary that you can't use for quite a few levels, sometimes.

4. Not sure!

Dahbomb

30 is highest... but I got a Talisman that requires lvl 40 to equip. I still don't know what it does.

That's probably the smart thing to do. Also just because an item isn't an immediate upgrade doesn't mean its useless. Because of possessed weapons you only need 1 good stat on an item to be useful.

Vulgrims Death room loot scales with level but the special bosses rewards are fixed level.

I would like to know this as well.

Duffyside

Banned
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I got 3 possessed weapons, each of them has a killer stat on it that I want to combine into an end game weapon. I wonder how this works exactly when you combine possessed weapons.

I guess we'll wait until tragic or hdn comes around. Then we can harass 'em.

Anyone found a good complete list for collectibles? I don't really like video guides, if I just know the area I can find it on my own. Need relics, stones and pages.

15-20 hour spoilers question;

When on earth, are all the angels you free for the sidequest on earth? I have 6/10 and most of them were pretty noticeable, wondering if I missed some out of the way ones.

I was also wondering if there was an item like strife's upgrade in DS1 that showed the location of all the stone bites/relics/pages on the map.

The game is still pretty impressive 20 hours in, I play it in 2-3 hour periods. Nice detail about arcane affecting his moves with the reaper in them, I didn't know that, I'll have to use those more.

Sentenza

All these comments about drops and chests are just reinforcing the opinion I expressed sometime ago, when I said I don't like random loot in these games. Even less when it auto-scales to your level.

Now tell me if this game wouldn't be better if equipment was more rare, but at the same time every single piece was unique and highly differentiated.
You know "I killed this boss/accomplished this task and now I obtained a very rewarding prize" instead of "I kill stuff all around the world and random shit drops here and there".

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
6. OH last question, what carries over to a new game+?

EVERYTHING but key items and by that I mean key progression items. Stonebites stat boost still transfer as do boatman coins

All these comments about drops and chests are just reinforcing the opinion I expressed sometime ago, when I said I don't like random loot in these games. Even less when it auto-scales to your level.

Now tell me if this game wouldn't be better if equipment was more rare, but at the same time every single piece was unique and highly differentiated.
You know "I killed this boss/accomplished this task and now I obtained a very rewarding prize" instead of "I kill stuff all around the world and random shit drops here and there".
I open every chest anyways I don't give a fuck. I want gear to progress the game through. I'll farm crucible and save the vulgrim reward stuff for end game. No biggie here.

I think it would be different, not so much better.

This game is scratching my inner loot whore itch, so.. I can't complain. =P

Dahbomb

There are still unique/differentiated items in the game to get. I don't think the game would be better without it, I really like the Possessed weapon system... more loot games need something like this.

I was worried that loot would marginalize skill/tactics in the game and that hasn't been the case at all. The best part is that you don't need to farm or grind for anything in fact you are better off spending time doing side quests or finding collectibles... as it should be in an adventure game.

How did this game release without a toggle option for lockon? Given that skills are setup on lb this seems like a no brainer. It seriously blows my fucking mind.

Sentenza

I think it would be different, not so much better.

This game is scratching my inner loot whore itch, so.. I can't complain. =P
Yeah, loot whoring never was a thing for me. I find it more annoying than rewarding.
But if I don't mind too much in a hack'n slash, my problem is that I see it even less fitting for an action adventure or story driven RPG.

EDIT: To be more clear: it's cool when you finally change your Kokiri sword with a proper one, and even better when you find the Master Sword. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, it's rewarding and you can see the clear improvement.
On the other hand it's lame when you drop seventy swords and you are constantly looking for the one with a couple of stats you like more. It's boring on the long run, it creates situations where you accomplish some big deal but the reward is useless to you and it greatly dilutes the joy of upgrading.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, this is the second time my game freezes when I open the Mysterious Book at the Maze.

What the shit...

And I realize now that I need to find all the hints before going into that maze, otherwise I'll be there forever.

FtHTiny

http://de.twitch.tv/aftermathrar

Just watching this using a ridiculus bug. Spoiler: he is at the end of world 2.

Basically he jumps, at the highest point of the jump he goes menu, equips another weapon. His jump resets, so he has infinite jumps and gliches through every wall.

Another spoiler warning, he is progressing really fast, lol. so care spoilers.

Got me first freeze when I was about to read the Mysterious Book at the Soul Arbiter's Maze.

AND YES! Got BOTH Possessed Double Scythe and Possessed Gauntlet! (Renamed Wicked K and Fist of Fury respectively. Health and Wrath on Crit, +25% Crit Damage, +33 Strenght, fucking awesome.

I also got a talisman that gives me Health Regen +127!

Where did you get those?

Dahbomb

Roflmao holy crap...

This is the second easiest exploit in the game although the game will probably crash if you do something out of order.

Didn't know it was in Ds1.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Second world question. Is Psychameron a location where you end up anyway or do I have to look for a way there?

RPGCrazied

Got it today! Fuck yeah!

Played the tutorial level and met
Thane
. How can this get a 7 in the music from IGN? The one that plays when you fight
crowfather and war is very epic.
I notice minor tearing in the first hub world. I hope it stays this way and not get any worse.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Seriously? Darksiders II definitely not as great as its predecessor? You and I must be playing a very different game.
it seems like a trend on GAF. People are crazy, some also think Batman: AA is better than Batman: AC. Give me a break. Asylum is like a demo compared to City.

Got it today! Fuck yeah!

Thane
I notice minor tearing in the first hub wolrd. I hope it stays this way and not get any worse.

Yeah, the soundtrack is crazy, crazy good.

XAL

ok. So correct me if I'm wrong.
This is how the game has to be played with a new game+ in mind:

The only things that you MUST collect are the stonebites (turn them all in before you finish that playthrough), which give you permanent stat boosts that can be stacked with stonebites found in successive playthroughs -- aannd Boatman coins (scrolls and ostegoth relics too?) also carry over, so if you want the best and biggest payout of high tier loot you should save them until at least your second playthrough.

You should open all chests you find because everything you find in the successive playthrough will be better AND you do not have to play through the crucible or purchase anything from vulgrim because the rewards are scaled and better off being done on your second playthrough (third, fourth?...)

When feeding items to your possessed weapons, the quality or quantity of specific stats fed does not matter at all. You only need to feed on item with the desired stat to the weapon to get the maximum percentage gained, everything else fed can be garbage. Sell off everything else you don't need to stockpile gold for Vulgrim chests later on.

Got it today! Fuck yeah!

Thane
I notice minor tearing in the first hub world. I hope it stays this way and not get any worse.

It doesn't get too bad or bothersome. Currently in world 2.

Dahbomb

Some people just like shorter more focused games. Both Arkham City and Darksiders 2 are more ambitious than their predecessors but the ambitions come at a bit of a cost.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Got it today! Fuck yeah!

Thane

The music gets repetitive as hell. I was in 4 story(!) dungeons with all the same music in it.

Dahbomb

Crucible loot doesn't scale with your own level. You can perform really well and get higher level items.

The rest of the stuff in that post seems legit. I am still not sure how possessed weapons work. Like what if for one level I feed it all crit chance items.... would the value of crit be higher than if I just fed it one crit chance item + a lot of garbage items?

derwalde

I know what your feeling, but as long as this is a single player game, i wont let any chest closed. this kind of min/maxing ruins my gameplay experience. i just chill and play this game like any other 3rd person action adventure. (furthermore its not that hard anyway).

Crucible loot doesn't scale with your own level. You can perform really well and get higher level items.

The rest of the stuff in that post seems legit. I am still not sure how possessed weapons work. Like what if for one level I feed it all crit chance items.... would the value of crit be higher than if I just fed it one crit chance item + a lot of garbage items?

Very good explanation of that here

welp i just made my first uber weapon, was lucky enough to find a blue lvl 18 scythe with 18% health steal on hit, cost me about 100k but was worth it. I then made a lvl 20 possessed scythe with 23% crit chance, 19% health steal, 29% crit damage and 9 wrath on crit. With the gear I'm using now I get 49% crit chance with my scythes with 254% crit dmg. Tack on the hammer you get from the deposed king and at lvl 20 the first 50 levels of the crucible was a breeze (god I love the freeze special ability and 10k crits haha).

Now time to find a nice secondary to level, anyone try making a secondary just to boost your stats, like with health/wrath regen, arcane/strength, defense/resistance, execution stats? I'm pretty sure these kinds of stats boost death overall, could be useful if you make a sick primary

Side note, anyone else never use the reaper ability? Most of the time I forget it exists...

o one last thing, I've figured out that if you can cancel a previous upgrade if youre still in the menu that lets you choose what bonus stat to put in, instead of hitting accept, if you switch pages (Lbumper/Rbumper) itll reset the last thing you fed to the weapon

sephi22

Anybody got any weapons that break the game yet?

I got some really nice Level 21 possessed scythes that came with 15% Wrath Regen on every hit. After making them max level, they now do Frost damage (my favorite elemental) and restore MY FULL WRATH every couple of hits.

I now do forward evade + primary attack (Scythe Spin) -> Harvest Skill (maxed out) -> Repeat

Also combined with my secondary claws that do amazing life regen. (Yes, the same ones you get out of killing the World 2 enemy that Thane tells you to kill), I basically don't run out of wrath or health.

Crucible has become a breeze. And I'm playing on Apoc

Dahbomb

Reaper ability is only really good when you have high Arcane and some sort of Reaper generator stat. You get a unique talisman that grants Reaper energy as well.

That Possessed scythe is what I want as well stat wise. I am also interested in how useful Piercing damage is.

Top Bottom