• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Why exactly are we spoiler-tagging that word? It was announced on Monday. It's not a secret.

*edit* took the spoilers off mine. It's an announced feature in the game.

Why exactly are we spoiler-tagging that word? It was announced on Monday. It's not a secret.

For me, I'm just being cautious and considerate (as always with anything related to a specific part of the game, announced or not). You just never know - I've seen lots of people pissed off at certain things discussed even if they've been revealed. Others just go on a media blackout and that's understandable to me.

DieH@rd

Banned
dsiiguveawatyffu8g.jpg

This will be only one of many giveaways.

abundant

For those who didn't watch, the Crucible works like this:

Wave 1 - 25 unlocks when you complete Zone 1.
Wave 26 - 50 unlocks when you complete Zone 2.
Wave 51 - 75 unlocks when you beat the game.
Wave 76 - 100 unlocks when you reach level 25.

I'm at work and can't watch this stream...will it be archived or something so I can watch it later tonight?

I've never watched a YouTube stream before, sorry for my stupidity =)

Just wanted to say nice OT. Really well done.
+1 to this. Its beautifully designed, informative and concise. Stellar job guys.

I've had this pre-ordered since the first gameplay videos came out, and I'm not one to pre-order much these days. Really looking forward to this.

DieH@rd

Banned
I really cant believe that they have made optional and hidden dungeons that are 45-60mins long. Insanity.

Also I think they mentioned that 10 secret pages [equivalent to abyssal armor collectibles] unlock another hidden dungeon.

MMaRsu

DANG

too many spoilers im out yo

catch you on the flipside

Ill be sorry about the giveaways but I never win anything anyway :(

rybrad

It is pretty incredible how awesome this game looks with it being only the second game the studio has ever made.

MMaRsu

What spoilers?

I really cant believe that they have made optional and hidden dungeons that are 45-60mins long. Insanity.

Also I think they mentioned that 10 secret pages [equivalent to abyssal armor collectibles] unlock another hidden dungeon.

Stuff like that, I'd rather discover shit like that on my own you know? On the last page I read something before someone tagged it that I didnt wanna know either, some event that involves War.

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, this is looking to be a pretty damn big game, and a great one at that. I am not so sure I need to buy Sleeping Dogs at the same time, as much as I may want it.

DonMigs85

That's slightly disappointing. I remember seeing 40-50 and that wasn't including hard which is supposed to make it longer. I'm hoping he skipped a lot of content.

I doubt he went for much of the collectibles. It's like playing Ocarina of Time and barely touching the pieces of heart and Skulltulas.

Hobbun

I understand the PC stream was at 60 fps, but does anyone know how the PS3 version is in regards to performance?

That is the one I preordered, but will switch to the 360 if it runs better.

KorrZ

It is pretty incredible how awesome this game looks with it being only the second game the studio has ever made.

Yeah, those guys are extremely talented over at Vigil. It's pretty amazing what they've accomplished so quickly. Darksiders 2 looks to be a strong GOTY contender.

Facism

how long for payment to go through when preordering through thqshop? did paypal and there's literally no record of it anywhere on the thq site or paypal.

ironcreed

Banned
I doubt he went for much of the collectibles. It's like playing Ocarina of Time and barely touching the pieces of heart and Skulltulas.

In addition to all of the side quests, there is also The Crucible. Then of course there is NG+ where you can continue to look for great loot and get to level 30, which cannot be reached in one play through.

DonMigs85

I understand the PC stream was at 60 fps, but does anyone know how the PS3 version is in regards to performance?

That is the one I preordered, but will switch to the 360 if it runs better.

Well in DS1's case the PS3 and 360 builds were pretty much identical in every aspect.

Derrick01

Banned
Remember there's an additional Nightmare Mode after you beat the game.

http://www.darksiders.com/blog-post/introducing-darksiders-ii-nightmare-mode

I won't play that most likely. I just want a really long main game. I'm choosing to believe it's longer since so many reviewers were complaining that they didn't have enough time to play all the side content, and I'm going to assume that guy skipped a lot.

That doesn't make any sense. It's the opposite.

DonMigs85

Yeah most games have campaigns under 8-10 hours.
Even Majora's Mask was fairly short for a Zelda, as was Wind Waker.

ironcreed

Banned
Is 25+ hours not long enough for you? o_O

That's longer than 95% of games released this gen with a SP campaign.

That, plus the Crucible = a pretty meaty game in my book. I love extremely long open world games as well, but not every one needs to be 50 hours +. Sometimes they get dragged out with too many boring and pointless quests and wear out their welcome.

Derrick01

Banned
Is 25+ hours not long enough for you? o_O

That's longer than 95% of games released this gen with a SP campaign.

It's solid. That's about the length of the last few assassin's creed games and I finished them in about 3 1/2 days. At that length I'd expect the same time out of DS2 if I didn't have to play Sleeping Dogs at the same time. Sleeping Dogs might have the same problem now too. Some reviewer said it was 20 hours to do everything after we were told it's 30-40+.

How is this the opposite? both of you complained about 20+ hours being to short for a game.

20 hours is fine if you tell me from the start it's 20 hours. You can't tell me it's 40-50 and have me find out it's half that. My expectations were raised at that point.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Hour counts are bullshit.

Why do people pay so much attention to them? We know there's tons of content in the game don't see how anyone could be worried about that because of some arbitrary numbers tossed around by reviewers

DonMigs85

If I remember correctly the first game took me around 35 hours or so to plat. I only did one playthrough, I started on Apocalyptic.

scitek

20 hours is fine if you tell me from the start it's 20 hours. You can't tell me it's 40-50 and have me find out it's half that. My expectations were raised at that point.

So this game IS like Zelda. I'd heard Skyward Sword was 50+ hours and it took me 35.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Well Darksiders was 10-15 hours long and i enjoyed it more than most of the games this days.

Length doesn't matter.

Hour counts are bullshit.

Why do people pay so much attention to them? We know there's tons of content in the game don't see how anyone could be worried about that because of some arbitrary numbers tossed around by reviewers
And for some reason my hours are almost always at least double what I hear about in these games. Yeah, I stop and take in the sights. I practice my combos to build up a little muscle memory first. That kind of stuff.

And if a game is designed for replayability I don't mind if its short, as long as its solid.

Derrick01

Banned
Well Darksiders was 10-15 hours long and i enjoyed it more than most of the games this days.

Length doesn't matter.

It does matter. Breaking away from this game for a second, games in general are far too short nowadays. No game should be less than 10 hours regardless of genre for the kind of prices these companies charge us.

Now I thought DS1 was a good length too because it was on the 15 hour side and that was longer than most, which was a pleasant surprise. However I wasn't told beforehand that it was a 30 hour game. Expectations make a difference.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It does matter. Breaking away from this game for a second, games in general are far too short nowadays. No game should be less than 10 hours regardless of genre for the kind of prices these companies charge us.

Now I thought DS1 was a good length too because it was on the 15 hour side and that was longer than most, which was a pleasant surprise. However I wasn't told beforehand that it was a 30 hour game. Expectations make a difference.

UUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

This mentality right here is like my hugest pet peeve with the gaming industry

ironcreed

Banned
A few reviewers have chimed in and said that they are pressed for time to do the review and wished they could take the time explore more. They are obviously missing a bunch of stuff, which is usually the case considering they are playing on a deadline. That said, I'll be more than happy if I get 28 hours out of my first play through. Especially if there is some side stuff I missed that I can experience in NG+, which I would wager the reviewer who said he beat it in 28 hours missed. And I'll say again, there is also The Crucible as well. The game is no small fry.

MMaRsu

so what about portal 1 & 2?

rybrad

A few reviewers have chimed in and said that they are pressed for time to do the review and wished they could take the time explore more. They are obviously missing a bunch of stuff, which is usually the case considering they are playing on a deadline. That said, I'll be more than happy if I get 28 hours out of my first play through. Especially if there is some side stuff I missed that I can experience in NG+, which I would wager the reviewer who said he beat it in 28 hours missed. And I'll say again, there is also The Crucible as well. The game is no small fry.
That sounds like a pretty good length to me, especially with the re-playability of NG+. The last really long game I played was Amalur and I was incredibly tired of all the boring quests by the end. I would rather have a shorter (not to be confused with just plain short), more polished experience with re-playability as opposed to a much longer game with a ton of filler.

Derrick01

Banned
This is a mind-numbingly fuckin' STUPID mentality to have.

It's called having some standards.

Usually a sub 10 hour game is some ultra linear game with little to no replayability and for the sake of the industry they should be eliminated anyway. But that's for another thread about the problems this industry has.

MMaRsu said:
so what about portal 1 & 2?

I've made my feelings about Valve games clear in the past. Portal 2 was ok though, enough to crack my top 10 last year...if only because of how weak a year it was.

Top Bottom