• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Dahbomb

Hour counts are bullshit.

Why do people pay so much attention to them? We know there's tons of content in the game don't see how anyone could be worried about that because of some arbitrary numbers tossed around by reviewers
+1 to this. Hour count vary from player to player.

Original Dmc3 took me 25 hours to beat the first time but it was no where near that long of a game. Likewise I beat Diablo 3 first time in 10 hours when it took most people 20 hours.

It's called having some standards.

Usually a sub 10 hour game is some ultra linear game with little to no replayability and for the sake of the industry they should be eliminated anyway. But that's for another thread about the problems this industry has.

This is the same shit those idiots who think every game should be non-linear say

Tell me you're not one of those idiots, Derrick01.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
44446lpi7.png

Seriously why do people complain??

I've never completed a game anywhere near is supposed hour count. Part of it is I never play more than 3 hours at a time and tend to redo things a lot and part of it is that I like to play about in the game world, without going straight to my objective.

having alot of content is more important than how long it takes from beginning to end.

I know I'll spend close to 100 hours in the crucible alone.

Sidzed2

A game should only be as long as it needs to be, having regard to pacing, it's story, and mechanics. There is no prescribed length for any sort of game, and anyone who says otherwise lacks basic intelligence. More is not necessarily better, and it's sad that some still don't realise this.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
A game should only be as long as it needs to be, having regard to pacing, it's story, and mechanics. There is no prescribed length for any sort of game, and anyone who says otherwise lacks basic intelligence. More is not necessarily better, and it's sad that some still don't realise this.

!!!!

Dahbomb

This game being twice as long as Ds1 would make it one of the longest non-Rpgs of this generation.

This is like being disappointed because some guy said this is a 100 hour game. It could very well be for him but there is no context to that number.

And I agree there is no time limit games should follow just to make up their costs. Padded games are some of the worst offenders in gaming there are.

I'm not sure you should be calling people who want longer and smarter games idiots. That doesn't make much sense.

Depends if those people apply that logic to arcade type titles.

short games can be just as vital for the industry as long as they have addictive gameplay and encourage replayabilty.

not everything has to be huge.

iNvid02

0YlAB.gif

cod 6 hour campaign is spot on, the barrage of shit thrown at you every second of the game is brutal and tiring, anything longer than that would amount to torture

Derrick01

Banned
This game being twice as long as Ds1 would make it one of the longest non-Rpgs of this generation.

This is like being disappointed because some guy said this is a 100 hour game. It could very well be for him but there pure no context to that number.

Twice as long as DS1 would make it quite a bit longer than 20 hours so that would be better.

iNvid02 said:
mw3 6 hour campaign is spot on, the barrage of shit thrown at you every second of the game is brutal and tiring, anything longer than that would amount to torture

COD wouldn't exist as it is in the perfect gaming world. It would be forced to be more open and smarter, thus almost guaranteeing it being much longer than 10 hours let alone the usual 5 it is.

Haunted

Wow, I didn't know it would be that huge and long.

That brings it more along the line of a regular mainline Zelda and is great news as far as I'm concerned.

I think if you cut out all the filler and crap from Skyward Sword, you'd have a more solid video game. In fact, I think I can say that about a lot of video games. Quality > Quantity, every single time.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's called having some standards.

Usually a sub 10 hour game is some ultra linear game with little to no replayability and for the sake of the industry they should be eliminated anyway. But that's for another thread about the problems this industry has.

I always thought the opposite was the problem.

Because of the recent attention to hour counts this generation you see so many games padded with filler content in order to meet what you call "standards"

All the while shorter more focused (and imo more enjoyable) games seem to get penalized for not doing this.

It just completely ignores the actual quality of the content and game design for the sake of some meaningless reductive quantity that's more easily comparable.

It's nuts to me.

Sidzed2

Twice as long as DS1 would make it quite a bit longer than 20 hours so that would be better.

COD wouldn't exist as it is in the perfect gaming world. It would be forced to be more open and smarter, thus almost guaranteeing it being much longer than 10 hours let alone the usual 5 it is.

Oh come now, you're just being silly now. Game developers shouldn't be 'forced' to do anything. Your premise is that short, linear games somehow do not have a place in the industry. You're quite clearly just trying to impose your personal preference on the debate, and purposefully ignoring the millions of people who might enjoy short, punchy arcade experiences. There is no one size fits all for games or game length.

Derrick01

Banned
I always thought the opposite was the problem.

Because of the recent attention to hour counts this generation you see so many games padded with filler content in order to meet what you call "standards"

Filler is subjective. Some people bitch about long parts of Lords of Shadow but I thought the whole game was solid from start to finish with parts that were great. I wouldn't shed 30 minutes from that 20+ hour game.

Sidzed2 said:
Oh come now, you're just being silly now. Game developers shouldn't be 'forced' to do anything. Your premise is that short, linear games somehow do not have a place in the industry. You're quite clearly just trying to impose your personal preference on the debate, and purposefully ignoring the millions of people who might enjoy short, punchy arcade experiences. There is no one size fits all for games or game length.

5 hour arcade experiences are fine. Just charge the $10-$15 they're worth on xbla/PSN and not $60.

I'm getting the feeling Derrick is one of those people, with this "perfect gaming world" of non-linear everything

edit: oh man, Lords of SHadow. The filler of all filler games. Proof positive that just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's like they had 6 hours of content and streeeeeeetched it out to 20 to fulfill some obligation from people who just NEED to have as much game as possible, even if it's kinda shitty and repetitive.

Haunted

Let's just put it this way, Derrick's opinions don't mesh well with his tag.

And just for clarification, my previous comment was obviously made under the assumption that Vigil aren't hacks and didn't just pad the game to twice the length of the first one with filler. :p

I'm getting the feeling Derrick is one of those people, with this "perfect gaming world" of non-linear everything

edit: oh man, Lords of SHadow. The filler of all filler games. Proof positive that just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's like they had 6 hours of content and streeeeeeetched it out to 20 to fulfill some obligation from people who just NEED to have as much game as possible, even if it's kinda shitty and repetitive.

What did you think was filler in Lords of Shadow?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Filler is subjective.

So is the value of a game. So is the time spent with a game.

but that doesn't stop you from speaking in absolute about how much a game is inherently worth based on nothing but the (hypothetical)length of a single playthrough.

5 hour arcade experiences are fine. Just charge the $10-$15 they're worth on xbla/PSN and not $60.

Odrion

Banned
With only a few exceptions. Shortening the length of certain games didn't fix this whole "filler" issue people talk about. There are still sewer levels, there are still terrible turret sequences, the only thing different is that the game is over sooner and you spent more money on less content.

Critics love this because it makes their jobs way easier.

Haunted

ugh, talking about DLC already.

Shut up and let me enjoy my hype building up without trying to make me go limp with that kind of talk. When I have the game and don't follow the marketing anymore, then you can talk about the DLC shit.

Facism

how long for payment to go through when preordering through thqshop? did paypal and there's literally no record of it anywhere on the thq site or paypal.

can anyone help me with this? i got confirmation page after completing the paypal process but there's no record of purchase either at thq or paypal. i don't want to try and put another order in until i know what happened here @(

Odrion

Banned
Also the Darksiders 2 ad is terrible and that little girl is creepy, maybe a little dishonest to show Death saving her from hellbeasts or whatever when SHE DIES ALONG WITH EVERYONE ELSE.

25 hour main story is quite good for me and justifies my 60 bucks. 10 or less and I'll gladly wait a month or two for the price to drop on Amazon to 30 bucks.

neoism

44446lpi7.png

Seriously why do people complain??

awesome... most gamers now fucking run through shit.. and gaf being mostly pro gamers... they probably will beat it in like 25 or less. I'm a sllllooow ass gamer, especially with RPGs.... I'm looking at 75 hours or so before I'm done with this.. 45 bones well spent.

Salsa

That's slightly disappointing.

Reassuring as hell. 40-50 hour single-player campaign in a non-RPG or Open World game is insane. There's bound to be repetitiveness in there if that was the case.

28 hours is still amazingly long for a single player experience of this kind. Im pleased and less worried now.

edit: oh, already been discussed :)

edit2: derrick is crazier than I thought, lol

Hey everyone who preordered Darksiders 2 off the THQ store!

When you look up your preorder, do you see the message "Order Search Results
No orders were found"? or is there a problem with my preorder.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
So I'm stupid and didn't preorder back when prices were decent. Anywhere to send my money thats less than $60?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Games very rarely have the mechanics and pacing to exceed 20 hours properly. Filler is the absolute worst and kills replayability.

dreamfall

I'm currently replaying through Darksiders 1. Abyssal Armor or GTFO!!!!

I just finished it as well on PC for the first time- but it's bugged! I can't seem to start a new game with the Abyssal Armor acquired. Finished it on console first, but playing on PC was a real joy. Any ideas on a work around? Also, half the achievements didn't unlock either :/

In any case, DEATH COMETH.

Top Bottom