• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just saw James "Bobo" Jones post this on facebook. He said he would be releasing more when the game is released. I fucking love his work. I recommend also going over and checking out his stuff on polycount.

Been following Bobo the Seal since the old Quake 3 days, loved his stuff on Titan Quest and knew he would be awesome over at Vigil. Love Gray Ginther's stuff as well. Very nice sculpts.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I have tearing but it's not unplayable.

I do hope DS2 is better. Glad to hear it has more opsions

Salsa

I wont have my gtx670 on time but im sure my gtx560ti can max it just fine.

Not that sure about Sleeping Dogs, will probably get vram issues there, but yeah OT.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wont have my gtx670 on time but im sure my gtx560ti can max it just fine.

Not that sure about Sleeping Dogs, will probably get vram issues there, but yeah OT.

You should be fine without the hi-res texture pack, at least.

He's not the first person I've seen mention the issue, although much like yourself, it doesn't seem to be present on my system (2600K/GTX 570/8GB DDR3/Win7 x64).

It didn't stutter on my DuoE8400 3.0ghz/9800GTX+ 1gb, got 60fps constant. I haven't run it on this rig yet, but Im sure it will be more than fine. (i5 3570/GTX670)

forrest

formerly nacire
It runs like shit. I have a core i7 2600 with an Nvidia GTX 570 and while fraps says 60 FPS the camera panning is jerky. This is a common issue without a known fix. Hope DS2 is ported better.

I saw someone mention moving your install to your desktop. Sounded odd to me, but apparently some people had success with it.

Sentenza

Jak II. The open world is absolutely unnecessary. It's not fun it's just frustrating.
I didn't play it, and yet I know plenty of people who think it was the best JAK by far.

Besides, I wonder if you can actually blame the flaws of the game over its open world, or if the problem is just with the game not being particularly fun or well designed, period.
I'm almost certain the right answer is the latter. Or there isn't simply any issue beyond your personal bias. I can't see how adding some degree of freedom on top of a well designed game could make it any worse.

DonMigs85

might as well not play it then

/masteracebitchin

i'll have the card soon

you getting rid of the 560 after? Or using it as a dedicated PhysX card?
644_evil_grin_and_eyebrow_raising.gif

I didn't play it, and yet I know plenty of people who think it was the best JAK by far.

Besides, I wonder if you can actually blame the flaws of the game over its open world, or if the problem is just with the game not being particularly fun or well designed, period.
I'm almost certain the right answer is the latter. Or there isn't simply any issue beyond your personal bias. I can't see how adding some degree of freedom on top of a well designed game could make it any worse.

In Jak 2's case, you absolutely can.

The fun part of the game is the standard linear levels that you have to trudge through the open world map to get to. Drive to one side (annoying), talk to dude who gives you the objective (FAR too common method of open world game progression), drive to the linear level area (the fun part).

I understand how addition freedom can add a lot to a game. In the Halo and Crysis games you still have levels you progress through and a story to follow, but the individual combat scenarios are greatly improved by the freedom you have to choose how you want to approach them.
However, having an open world does not automatically make a game more "free" than other games. Obviously if it's "well designed" it will be good, but if it's a choice between a good linear game and a good linear game with a shitty open world tacked on, I'll take the straight linear game every time.

Khezu

Man Darksiders 1 has like one of the best cliffhangers of anything ever, I will be so sad if we don't see a Darksiders 3&4.

The game is fun when it is what it's supposed to be: a jump'n'run.

I have fond memories of Jak 3 so I'm beginning to wonder if this is just nostalgia.

I really don't see how anyone can like the hovercrafting and driving from point a to b just to get to the fun part. Because hovercrafting is horrible. If you drive on the ground you always bump into one of the guards and are getting hunted. If you drive in the air you can't get two meters without crushing into another hovercraft because it's crowded like hell.

Of course it's just my opinion. But I really don't have anything against open world and more choices, but I really can't see why this was added here.

Man Darksiders 1 has like one of the best cliffhangers of anything ever, I will be so sad if we don't see a Darksiders 3&4.

Even if THQ goes away or something, I think it is a safe bet that the Vigil will be picked up but someone else. Just please not EA or Activision.

I say Darksiders 3...next-gen consoles...4 play coop. It would be the first action adventure game with deep combat to do something like that. How fucking sweet would that be? I don't even know how that could be pulled off though. 4 different characters with 4 different move sets fighting hordes of enemies with the netcode still being in sync with each player.... I can dream though.

I returned to Jak II with the HD collection, and I had far less patience for the "open world" features. The core gameplay is great, but getting around on a zoomer and being chased by cops just isn't fun, it is the absolute worst any time the game requires you to engage in one or both. Jak II's problem isn't really its open world, it's what you're required to do in it when not platforming/collecting.

I don't think Darksiders II is going to be worse off for its scope.

Even if THQ goes away or something, I think it is a safe bet that the Vigil will be picked up but someone else. Just please not EA or Activision.

Don't think Activision will pick them up if THQ falls.

Most likely EA, yeah. Maybe Sony or Microsoft? Or the devs might just scatter elsewhere and other studios will pick them up, like what Epic did to scrounge up the remains of Big Huge.

And now you've got me imagining what could happen if somehow Vigil and Darksiders wound up with Nintendo. I'm pulling for THQ, though, I think they can turn it around.

Most likely EA, yeah. Maybe Sony or Microsoft? Or the devs might just scatter elsewhere and other studios will pick them up, like what Epic did to scrounge up the remains of Big Huge.

Welp, we just need to tell everyone we know to buy the damn game. I'm getting the PC version, but am also thinking about getting a console copy for my brother since he really doesn't know about it, but loves games like god of war and western RPGs.

I returned to Jak II with the HD collection, and I had far less patience for the "open world" features. The core gameplay is great, but getting around on a zoomer and being chased by cops just isn't fun, it is the absolute worst any time the game requires you to engage in one or both. Jak II's problem isn't really its open world, it's what you're required to do in it when not platforming/collecting.

I don't think Darksiders II is going to be worse off for its scope.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Open world can be really good. But if it's just tacked on like it feels in Jak 2 it can get very frustrating.

Sentenza

I really don't see how anyone can like the hovercrafting and driving from point a to b just to get to the fun part. Because hovercrafting is horrible. If you drive on the ground you always bump into one of the guards and are getting hunted. If you drive in the air you can't get two meters without crushing into another hovercraft because it's crowded like hell.
Well, but that proves exactly what I was saying. Sounds to me like the problem isn't the open world by itself, but the extreme ugliness of those mechanics associated with it.

I can't stand Skyrim, Oblivion or Fallout 3, but I don't blame their flaws on their effort of being open world games, I blame it over having very poor game mechanics, unexisting dungeon design, etc.
And that's because I also played Gothic, Risen, Ultima, Fallout 2, and I know how much having that degree of freedom added to the quality of the experience for these.

Welp, we just need to tell everyone we know to buy the damn game. I'm getting the PC version, but am also thinking about getting a console copy for my brother since he really doesn't know about it, but loves games like god of war and western RPGs.

We need to try and tell at least 4 - 5 million people.

Well, but that proves exactly what I was saying. Sounds to me like the problem isn't the open world by itself, but the extreme ugliness of those mechanics associated with it.

I can't stand Skyrim, Oblivion or Fallout 3, but I don't blame their flaws on their effort of being open world games, I blame it over having very poor game mechanics, unexisting dungeon design, etc.
And that's because I also played Gothic, Risen, Ultima, Fallout 2, and I know how much having that degree of freedom added to the quality of the experience for these.

I think you misunderstood me. I like open world. It just has to be implemented well and not feel tacked on and poorly executed like IMO in Jak II.

Edit: also this is the darksiders 2 OT. Let's focus on that :D

I say Darksiders 3...next-gen consoles...4 play coop. It would be the first action adventure game with deep combat to do something like that. How fucking sweet would that be? I don't even know how that could be pulled off though. 4 different characters with 4 different move sets fighting hordes of enemies with the netcode still being in sync with each player.... I can dream though.

My gut feeling is that I want Darksiders to remain a single-player game, or at least I would want it to remain a single-player game with an optional, different co-operative mode (like a co-operative arena/dungeon crawling mode or something). My personal hope for Darksiders is that we get a game for each Horseman and then a fifth game where you play as each Horseman over the course of the story.

That being said, if co-op meant not compromising on the kind of game Darksiders/Darksiders 2 is and if Vigil were able to provide some really clever 4-player puzzling an ambitious, 4-player co-op Darksiders 5(?) could potentially be a really unique game (so long as it doesn't mean being saddled with AI if playing single-player :p ).

Home stretch baby!

This was one of the biggest reasons why I loved Darksiders so much. This game rewards you for looking in every nook and cranny. It is not just some customizable armor piece you can select colors for, but you actually become an even more unstoppable beast when you have that armor.

DieH@rd

Banned
Anybody fears that there will be too much "unique/legendary" armor sets and weapons, so that you will not know what is best/coolest to wear? :D

It didn't stutter on my DuoE8400 3.0ghz/9800GTX+ 1gb, got 60fps constant. I haven't run it on this rig yet, but Im sure it will be more than fine. (i5 3570/GTX670)
I have a 660m and Ivy Bridge i7 and it's juttery, MAKES NO SENSE! It is really annoying but I can stomach it, hope this one is better.

Hindle

Banned
My gut feeling is that I want Darksiders to remain a single-player game, or at least I would want it to remain a single-player game with an optional, different co-operative mode (like a co-operative arena/dungeon crawling mode or something). My personal hope for Darksiders is that we get a game for each Horseman and then a fifth game where you play as each Horseman over the course of the story.

That being said, if co-op meant not compromising on the kind of game Darksiders/Darksiders 2 is and if Vigil were able to provide some really clever 4-player puzzling an ambitious, 4-player co-op Darksiders 5(?) could potentially be a really unique game (so long as it doesn't mean being saddled with AI if playing single-player :p ).

Yep exactly what I want as well. They should take influence from a Game of thrones, one big story thats told from multiple perspectives.

Micerider

I've Just read the Review in Console + (French magazine) and although I don't like their reviews in general, I'm glad to see that they find it superior to the first game in every possible way with the main points being the following :

- Much better feel from the art direction, they have really let their style go further with all the liberty the new settings offered.

- Death is really a better character than War, more charismatic.

- Combat feels better

- The "prince of persia" mechanics added into the blend do not do any arm.

On the bad side, their only complaint was just that the game missed "new mechanics of it's own" to be better (I personnaly don't mind if the "inspired" mechanics are well implemented)

They give it a 17/20

Schlomo

I saw someone mention moving your install to your desktop. Sounded odd to me, but apparently some people had success with it.

Another trick I found out to improve this weird stuttering is keeping a Firefox window in the background. It sounds weird, but it definitely worked for me.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I've Just read the Review in Console + (French magazine) and although I don't like their reviews in general, I'm glad to see that they find it superior to the first game in every possible way with the main points being the following :

- Much better feel from the art direction, they have really let their style go further with all the liberty the new settings offered.

- Death is really a better character than War, more charismatic.

- Combat feels better

- The "prince of persia" mechanics added into the blend do not do any arm.

On the bad side, their only complaint was just that the game missed "new mechanics of it's own" to be better (I personnaly don't mind if the "inspired" mechanics are well implemented)

They give it a 17/20
Nice! Truth be told, I don't see the game going over 9.5 or anything. I think it will fall on 84-90 on Metacritic -- which is a top-notch score.

In saying that, I honestly don't give scores that much stock. If you loved the first game, chances are you're going to love DS2...and I loved the first game.

This and Lords of Shadow are my sleeper hits of this gen and they deserve sales.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Yeah, DS2 will most surely go above DS1 Metacritic score [82-83%]. I think it will land in 85-87 range.

I agree. And that score is a solid one. I can't wait for people to come in and say, "OMGz Darksiders2 faill111" due to it being "only" an 85-87. Such a shitty industry we're in that an 8 is considered low.

What I'm hoping for more is that DS2 will rake in the sales...thus guaranteeing DS3. From all indications though, it will and some of the high-profile sites have already hinted that the game is really good without breaking the embargo.

Nice! Truth be told, I don't see the game going over 9.5 or anything. I think it will fall on 84-90 on Metacritic -- which is a top-notch score.

In saying that, I honestly don't give scores that much stock. If you loved the first game, chances are you're going to love DS2...and I loved the first game.

This and Lords of Shadow are my sleeper hits of this gen and they deserve sales.
I think Darksiders is kind of the sort of game where its scores aren't, y'know, superlative, but the people who like it really really really like it. :p Still, it'd be nice to see DS2 get an overwhelming critical response, hopefully it's so good that it's undeniable.

Facism

right, so my order with thq shop is pending payment. There's no record anywhere on paypal of that. Been a day now with no response from THQ support on the matter :/ Guess i'm going to have to call paypal?

Also, i like seeing ~80% reviews. Always feels more honest. The original Darksiders was a massive surprise for me, so Darksiders 2 improving on it in every way, especially the combat, is a win situation.

hlhbk

That was me a few pages back. Moving the install made it so the game doesn't crash every 5 minutes, but doesn't fix the jerky camera movement.

never MS. They just don't understand the potential of the SR or DS series. Just look at how they treated the Crackdown IP. Huge potential, all pissed away with that godawful sequel and now it seems it's completely dead.

And then there's various Rare IP's that they've left on the scrapheap, a lot of which could and probably would make for some amazing Live Arcade titles.

I just have something I'd like to say.

I played the first game about a year ago now and never finished it. Reason being I got to like the 4th dungeon and my love for the game was seriously waning and at a certain point I just had to stop. The combat had really tired me out by that point. As such I have been really cautious about this one.

But, after watching all the videos and seeing how much love has been thrown into this installment AND seeing all the great RPG elements that have been added... Day 1 for this one.

Top Bottom