• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

ironcreed

Banned
Gameplay wise, it doesn't aside from one particular section

The narrative doesn't really go anywhere in the 2nd area. The 'game' only gets better where you're at.

Let the disappointment find you, don't go looking for it

I hear you. I just like to know what to look for in case I end up having a differing opinion.

Ridley327

I hear you. I just like to know what to look for in case I end up having a differing opinion.

If the section they're talking about is what I'm thinking it is, you will have no problem declaring it the worst part of the game, because it really is the worst part of the game.

Dahbomb

Id say those and the claws are fucking awesome for harbinger up til you get possessed weapons.

The claws are hot garbage as arcane though :( you dont do enough damage to steal enough life to be worthwhile.

On the otherside of the coin the ice mace's ice procs crit for like 4.5k a hit *for me currently* SO HEY THERE WE GO
Actually as soon as I got the Black Scythe I dropped the Claws for the Lich Arm blades. Lich gives you some insane Wrath generation so now I got a legendary that gives me health steal and one that gives me wrath steal.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Actually as soon as I got the Black Scythe I dropped the Claws for the Lich Arm blades. Lich gives you some insane Wrath generation so now I got a legendary that gives me health steal and one that gives me wrath steal.

:( Necro doesnt benefit from these items makes me kinda sad haha

Man, Dahbomb you jerk. I was up late trying those just frames over and over, why didn't you mention I had to BUY them first?! I just got to the trainer and now I can do them every time, I thought I was going crazy and had gone shitty.

Dahbomb

:( Necro doesnt benefit from these items makes me kinda sad haha
Actually you can benefit from Lich a lot. They do electical damage, can attack from range (charged attack) and build a ton of Wrath. Lich steal Wrath along with electrocuting the enemy. Arcane boosts elemental damage and by default will increase the wrath generated. The Sweet spot charge attack has a wide AOE and more knockback, I built an entire bar back in a group of small sized enemies.

Anyway I am pretty sure with Lich + Black Demise I can beat the Crucible with. Basically activate Unstoppable -> Teleport Slash -> Hit a few times with the Lich -> Teleport Slash repeat and then activate Unstoppable again. If a lot of enemies in the area replace TS with Harvest.

Game is over!

Man, Dahbomb you jerk. I was up late trying those just frames over and over, why didn't you mention I had to BUY them first?! I just got to the trainer and now I can do them every time, I thought I was going crazy and had gone shitty.
ROFLMAO now you know how I feel when I was watching the videos and was like "how the hell is Tragic doing this stuff?"

Am I missing something obvious with the Phasewalker puzzle in the Nook? The first portal is easy enough to find (the one by the door that led to the elevator puzzle), but I can't find the other portal for the life of me.
How do you activate those things?

I just started
world 2 and the first objective is a dungeon where it looks like I need to activate one of those portal things to continue. I can only reach the first set of rooms without it, but I have no idea how I get whatever skill or item is needed to activate those portals.

First time in the game I've been stuck :/

gunbo13

The reason is simple: the vibe that I get from this very similar to the first and second Legacy of Kain games.
That's quite the comparison. The LoK games are arguably the most well done character driven and atmospheric action/adventure titles ever. I don't think DS2 is close, hovering around average.
I think we need a PC performance thread with all the tricks and tips.
Not much can be done.

---

With all this exploit talk, it looks like I'm going to have to gimp my character. I can't stand that stuff.

How do you activate those things?

I just started
world 2 and the first objective is a dungeon where it looks like I need to activate one of those portal things to continue. I can only reach the first set of rooms without it, but I have no idea how I get whatever skill or item is needed to activate those portals.

First time in the game I've been stuck :/

You never get that item in world 2

JohngPR

What do you think is better for the PC version, injecting FXAA or Downsampling 2560x1440 to 1920x1080....not sure which one to go with.

Doing both makes my framerate go the the low 50s sometimes which isn't a big deal but the hitch is noticeable so I'd rather do one or the other.

Dahbomb

With all this exploit talk, it looks like I'm going to have to gimp my character. I can't stand that stuff.
Not really exploiting when both of the weapons I am using right now either came from finding/beating a side dungeon or found just floating around. Both these weapons anyone can get by the time they are almost done with world 2. These stats were put in by the devs themselves, not even random generated.

I 100% agree that life steal and wrath steal are entirely too powerful in this game and suck a great deal of skill away from the game.

RPGCrazied

Almost 20 hours and still in world 2, lol. I like this world way better than the first one. I think it fits the character an all, being death.

Anyway, got my first glitch. A cutscene started to play but with missing sound effects and some of the dialogue wasn't being spoken. I have subtitles off, so I had no idea what he said. ;/

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Ooooh, I just found 11-20 of those Dead Pages. Time to get that Demonheart.

I read that it changes white item drops into possessed drops. Can anyone confirm this? Also, where would you even go to find white items? They're nearly as rare as possessed.

Oh crap, I'm reading that Vulgrim's inventory may be bugged. If the Legacy boxes aren't in his inventory when you meet him then you're apparently screwed. Some people on GameFAQs mentioned that they had the Legacy option the first time they met Vulgrim.

Oh crap, I'm reading that Vulgrim's inventory may be bugged. If the Legacy boxes aren't in his inventory when you meet him then you're apparently screwed. Some people on GameFAQs mentioned that they had the Legacy option the first time they met Vulgrim.

Aww man.

I hope that's not true. :(

We need a patch!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, and maybe it changes, but did anyone prefer Darksider 1's setting of being a modern day setting that's been destroyed and made more Fantasyish rather than Darksider 2's just straight up fantasy?

KevinCow

Banned
I love that there's so much to find and collect, but I really wish there was a better way to keep track of all the stonebites, relics, and pages. Just something to give me a general idea of where to look. Yeah, there's one left. Where? I dunno. Somewhere. It could be literally anywhere in this entire world. Better start looking!

I don't want it to tell me exactly where everything is, that takes the fun out of exploring. But give me a general idea of where to look, you know?

It's a common problem in games with lots of collectibles, and I feel like someone should've come up with a good solution by now.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, and maybe it changes, but did anyone prefer Darksider 1's setting of being a modern day setting that's been destroyed and made more Fantasyish rather than Darksider 2's just straight up fantasy?

Nope. Actually the only reason that DS1 took place on Earth is so that it would get green lit. I remember reading in the art book that when they were pitching it to publishers, they stated that fantasy games don't sell, it would have to be something that took place on Earth preferably in a major city (out of touch idiots). Therefore Vigil was awesome and came up with a loophole with it technically taking place on Earth, in New York City.....but 100 years after the apocalypse. So they would still have free reign to design the cool shit they wanted.

I love that there's so much to find and collect, but I really wish there was a better way to keep track of all the stonebites, relics, and pages. Just something to give me a general idea of where to look. Yeah, there's one left. Where? I dunno. Somewhere. It could be literally anywhere in this entire world. Better start looking!

I don't want it to tell me exactly where everything is, that takes the fun out of exploring. But give me a general idea of where to look, you know?

It's a common problem in games with lots of collectibles, and I feel like someone should've come up with a good solution by now.

Yeah, that was also strange to me. I remember in the first game once you got the dungeon map for that area it would show you all the hidden relics in that area. Maybe there is a talisman or something you can get that does a similar thing.

KevinCow

Banned
WHAT THE HELL. :O

I'm wandering around, looking at shit, and I see some letters scribbled on a wall. I stare at them for a couple seconds, and then suddenly an item pickup notice pops up:

SOUL ARBITER'S SCROLL FOUND

Seriously? Not all the Soul Arbiter's scrolls are actual pickups? Some of them are just letters scribbled on the wall? You're blowing my mind, game.

Is that what the red demon skulls painted on walls mean? That there are Soul Arbiter directions scribbled on a wall nearby?

WHAT THE HELL. :O

I'm wandering around, looking at shit, and I see some letters scribbled on a wall. I stare at them for a couple seconds, and then suddenly an item pickup notice pops up:

SOUL ARBITER'S SCROLL FOUND

Seriously? Not all the Soul Arbiter's scrolls are actual pickups? Some of them are just letters scribbled on the wall? You're blowing my mind, game.

Is that what the red demon skulls painted on walls mean? That there are Soul Arbiter directions scribbled on a wall nearby?

Yes. Or an actual item.

gunbo13

What do you think is better for the PC version, injecting FXAA or Downsampling 2560x1440 to 1920x1080....not sure which one to go with.
Mine looks fine with 8xCSAA.
Not really exploiting when both of the weapons I am using right now either came from finding/beating a side dungeon or found just floating around. Both these weapons anyone can get by the time they are almost done with world 2. These stats were put in by the devs themselves, not even random generated.
We should come up with a baseline. All the OP stuff should be just for shenanigans. Sticking to vanilla would be one way, just removing anything that sticks out funny. Or limiting sacrifices to percentages. Though I haven't played enough to differentiate yet.

I just got my first possessed weapon, a level 8 scythe. Should I go ahead and start upgrading it? Or should I wait until I get higher level possessed weapons so I don't waste hard to come by stats on it?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just got my first possessed weapon, a level 8 scythe. Should I go ahead and start upgrading it? Or should I wait until I get higher level possessed weapons so I don't waste hard to come by stats on it?

Upgrade it, you'll replace it after you get your grapple skill. So might as well use something strong now.

MrDaravon

So I'm like 4 or 5 hours in, and not really feeling this at all. I loved the first game, how much longer should I keep going? Camera feels like it's a bit too close, the world feels a little too open with nothing there, having to constantly get off the horse to effectively fight enemies is annoying, you have to go to menus frequently and the sight load/delay on that is annoying, etc. There's no one thing I can point to, the game just really isn't doing anything for me.

Edit: Oh actually the one thing that really actively bothers me is the lock-on and how LB is used. I'm personally not capable of using my middle finger to hit LT, so I have to choose between one or the other, which means I really never use my LB abilities. Also it's pretty stupid that you can't just toggle lock-on, and it doesn't help that it seems to like to lock-on to shit that is nowhere me when I'm getting hit in the face.

I saw someone mention this earlier as well; are they actually called Legacy boxes in the shop? I've only ever had Gilded, Jeweled, and Ornate.

Upgrade it, you'll replace it after you get your grapple skill. So might as well use something strong now.

Ok. How hard is it to find more weapons with health attributes? If I put something like health steal on it. I want to be able to make sure I can still find health steal to put on a future level 20+ possessed weapon.

Edit:
Can you feed possessed weapons to possesses weapons? That way I won't have to worry about losing hard to find stats when switching to new weapon. :)

so the 2nd and 3rd boss Thane gies you are kicking my butt. The ice guy I can't do enough damage to before he kills me in 2 hits. BTW I'm lvl 13

BY2K

Membero Americo
Possessed Scythes with frost damage, health on kill and health on crit. 1/2 chance of critical hit. 198% Critical Damage.

**** yeah!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok. How hard is it to find more weapons with health attributes? If I put something like health steal on it. I want to be able to make sure I can still find health steal to put on a future level 20+ possessed weapon.

Edit:
Can you feed possessed weapons to possesses weapons? That way I won't have to worry about losing hard to find stats when switching to new weapon. :)

Yeah you can

Top Bottom