• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Dahbomb

One of these days, developers are going to figure out that you can make a fun boss fight without adding 100+ weak enemies to the mix, and it will be glorious.

Just the boss is all we need. The extra stuff adds nothing but annoyance.
Soul Arbiter without the enemies would be weak sauce. The last wave was ridiculous because the boss decides to attack while having his hax shield up while fighting alongside a sub boss type enemy who can block everything.

RPGCrazied

Another glitch, I hope it fixes itself when I restart, but going after the deposed king, hitting the crystal to lower the platform didn't do anything.

Tucah

you speak so well
Just finished the game. I loved it overall but it definitely lost steam later on - between
Earth
and the lackluster ending. Hope the devs get a chance to make Darksiders III, because I'd love to see how they expand even further from this game.

RPGCrazied

Serious question. How come most developers have shitty Q & A? Is the pay that bad, or do these people just want to get paid to play games and not report anything?

Ok, another question...

This goes out to anyone who has finished the side quest where you have to fight
Ghorn
in the scar.

The last hallway before the boss door, if you look up you'll see a hook point and a treasure chest up there, but I have no idea how to get to it... Do I need to come back later with another item? Is there some secret hallway I am missing to get me up there, so I can swing across to the chest?

Any ideas???
there's an entrance on the side of the wall as you cross over the chain. I missed that at first too.

Raxus

Did all 50 of the achievements. Finally I can put this game down. Achidna claws are broken and I ended the game with 386 bonus damage on crit. Cruised through Apocalyptic on the second go around with no difficulty.

Serious question. How come most developers have shitty Q & A? Is the pay that bad, or do these people just want to get paid to play games and not report anything?
My guess with any game this large (and slightly rushed) I feel they can only catch so many bugs. Especially once millions of people get their hands on the product.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Did all 50 of the achievements. Finally I can put this game down. Achidna claws are broken and I ended the game with 386 bonus damage on crit. Cruised through Apocalyptic on the second go around with no difficulty.

ALREADY!?

Do a Nightmare run, I dare you!

Raxus

ALREADY!?

Do a Nightmare run, I dare you!

Heh, no thanks. I would have a deleted game once I reached world 2. You have to rely on health potions until you get the claws and then it just gets easier from there. I ended with a level 29 possessed scythe and the level 17 claws (lol).

I dunno if I was imagining things but damage seems to be capped once you reach a certain point. I probably would have a tough time getting 5k normal crits with my scythe unless I went through the game several more times.

BTW the Strength spell and Harvest (20k crits lol) are the only spells you need. Dunno if any powers are as silly OP as those two.

Raxum

Damn, I'm only about 5 achieves from finishing them all, need my level 30, apoc run, crucible, wicked K and BFA then I'm done. Already halfway through my NG+ run. Crit is pretty broken, guillotine(?) scythes with 432% extra crit damage and 55ish% chance to crit. Hitting around 2.5k crits almost constantly. Not finding apocalyptic difficult at all.

Also, damn our names are close, I think I'd get confused if it wasn't for our different avatars.

Dahbomb

I have so much to say on the game but I want to finish it before making a huge post.

And yea bugs are way more common in open long games. Its to be expected but a lot of bugs could've been avoided with an additional month of stress testing and fixing. I don't normally find bugs in games and even I came across a few.

Megasoum

Banned

I imagine you mean QA? Let me tell give you a couple of facts about QA in general (not specific to THQ or DS since I don't work for them)...

1-Yes the pay is shitty most of the time...
2-QA Testers are NOT paid to play games lol... ugh... I'm so tired of that misconception... Testing games is NOTHING like playing a game.
3-I can guarantee you, from experience on a dozen+ projects, the QA department found if not all, the VAST majority of the issues encountered by the users.

The problem is rarely that QA didn't find an issue (it happens sometimes of course). No, the problem is that the issue is reported properly when encountered by the testers but the devs/management decide to not fix the issue for different reasons (money, time, risk of creating other issues, etc). Believe me, the vast majority of issues reported on game forums have already been seen by QA at some point during developpement. QA is there to report issues, not fix them.

Megasoum

Banned
Finding those stones are going to be a pain if I want that Platinum Trophy. I don't know of I'd be up for that.

Ugh I don't even want to think about that right now... I'm going through the maze (at level 7 atm) and I'm seriously at risk of dying of pure boredom...bleh

Raxus

Finding those stones are going to be a pain if I want that Platinum Trophy. I don't know of I'd be up for that.

The stones are pretty easy since most of the don't require any item other than the gun (with some rare exceptions). I turned down the music and I heard most of just fine without any guide. Getting every single one will require a guide. If only for the stones of resistance which are hidden fairly well.

I just went back on new game plus and did everything. As long as you know what to do and have awesome weapons you can easily steam roll it in 10 hours assuming you don't make any pit stops.

With the Strength spell almost all my combat scenarios lasted for 10-30 seconds.

Ugh I don't even want to think about that right now... I'm going through the maze (at level 7 atm) and I'm seriously at risk of dying of pure boredom...bleh

Speaking of which don't forget to get the stone between levels 7 and 8.

The stones are pretty easy since most of the don't require any item other than the gun (with some rare exceptions). I turned down the music and I heard most of just fine without any guide. Getting every single one will require a guide. If only for the stones of resistance which are hidden fairly well.

I just went back on new game plus and did everything. As long as you know what to do and have awesome weapons you can easily steam roll it in 10 hours assuming you don't make any pit stops.

With the Strength spell almost all my combat scenarios lasted for 10-30 seconds.

Speaking of which don't forget to get the stone between levels 7 and 8.

Stone? What stone?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I didn't reach that far into the maze because I didn't have all the clues. Gonna have to make sure once I do.

Megasoum

Banned
I didn't reach that far into the maze because I didn't have all the clues. Gonna have to make sure once I do.

Hmm...well huh...hmmm Technically I'm still missing 2-3 clues but fuck it... I didn't want to have to go through the menu every time anyway (I have very bad short term memory) so I use a guide on my phone.

Maffis

Thought I encountered a progression blocking glitch for a second. World 2, first dungeon where you have to pick up one of those lantern thingies, I accidentally went the wrong way and tried carrying it up the spiral stair case that is broken. I come to the top, but up there I fall down and die and when I respawn the lantern is nowhere to be found. It's gone from the world. But when I die again it's suddenly back where I put it down lol.

Not to mention some of the clues are EXTREMELY hard to find. Don't forget to stop by Boneriven for a couple.

You don't need to find the clues unless you just like to look for things. I can post the secret rooms and advancement locations for each floor if you guys want.

I wonder why I bother going for the secret on every level when (except for one so far) has always been a crappy generic chest.

Floor 5 is the only secret area everyone should go to.

Dahbomb

I think some people just don't like using guides.

Personally I have always used guides for collectibles but never for combat strategies/tips like for bosses. I always feel like I can come up with better strategies than most online guides.

JJD

Is it just me or the White City (specially after you pass through the portals) have a severe framerate issue? It almost reminded me of Dark Souls Blighttown.

I'm playing on PS3 by the way.

Alright guys I need help, and need to ask but uh...I still don't know how to use spoiler tags so lets start there...how do I use a spoiler tag :D lol

stuff you want to say [/spoilers]

Remove second s.
ok
the guardian at the end of the first world i'm assuming I can get his first arm off but then how do I get his arse on the ground to go after the other stones? I know it have to run the ball into him somehow or something, but can't get it close enough, how did you guys do this?
dahbomb is dah-Man :p

Dahbomb

You shoot the ball until its health depletes then it starts floating and goes out of control of the boss. Now just guide it towards him.

RPGCrazied

How may levels are in the arbiters maze? I got to level 5 but ran out of scrolls, so I don't know where to go.

Also, do the monsters scale in the crucible? Even at 18 the things in the first wave aren't dropped in a hit or so.

Megasoum

Banned
How may levels are in the arbiters maze? I got to level 5 but ran out of scrolls, so I don't know where to go.

Also, do the monsters scale in the crucible? Even at 18 the things in the first wave aren't dropped in a hit or so.

10 very long levels in the maze and double that if you go for the secrets (not really worth it IMO).

RPGCrazied

10 very long levels in the maze and double that if you go for the secrets (not really worth it IMO).

I just want the quest for the chancellor done. Fuck secrets. :p I'm trying to do the shaman quest, I need dew or whatever, but the drenchfort where it tells me to go is wiped clean.

A maze??? Great....I fucking hated the portal puzzles at the end of DS1, this sounds like so much fun -__-

If you don't want to guess or look for the clues as to which route to take, there's yeah...

This:

Level 1:

Next Level: North – West
Secret: South – East

Level 2:

Next Level: East – South – North
Secret: North – North

Level 3:

Next Level: West – East – North – North
Secret: North – South – East

Level 4:

Next Level: East – West – North – South
Secret: West – East – North

Level 5:

Next Level: West – West – North – East
Secret: West – North – South

Level 6:

Next Level: South – East – East – North – North
Secret: East – East – East – South

Level 7:

Next Level: South – West – East – East – East
Secret: South – South – West – North – North

Level 8:

Next Level: North – West – North – West – East
Secret: North – South – South – East – North

Level 9:

Next Level: East – North – East – North – South
Secret: South – West – East – East – North

Level 10:

Next Level: West – East – North – South – West
Secret: North – South – East – West

Anyone else irritated about the collectables, gamesradar has an excellent guide with a screenshot + description for each collectable. I remembered they helped me out a lot with the feathers in AC2, so I checked to see if they had a guide for this game, and it has been a big help

Just got to the timed portal/switch puzzle in the second tower of Black Throne.

I hope to God there are no puzzles like that in the future of this game.

I'm considering picking this up since finishing Sleeping Dogs...does anyone have any gameplay videos? I'd like to see how it looks visually, and how Death plays compared to War.

Top Bottom