• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SO MANY DUNGEONS

I'M DROWNING IN THEM

AND I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY

JohngPR

Mine looks fine with 8xCSAA.

I can't force AA thorugh CCC on my card. There's some kind of AMD bug that makes textures transparent.

I think the results are good with the FXAA DarkSiders 1 injector:

darksiders22012-08-21meu83.png

darksiders22012-08-21a8ud2.png

Carm

For anyone that has found the two scrolls for Level 2, do you remember where you found them? I've found three different ones now, but don't remember where I found those to, so I can mark them off my list.

Ricker

What's up with the awful camera again during
during the Guardian fight
,jesus...do I have to be on the Horse or what...tried it 3 times now,time to take a break I will try again tomorrow...

Megasoum

Banned
Just picked up the
Phasewalker
....fuck that, I'm too tired for this shit lol... I guess I'll finish it tomorrow.

On a sidenote, I really wish that there was a button in the text editor for spoilers (like there is for URL or quotes)... It's annoying to have to type it manually everytime.

wingz

Just started this game. I think I'm in the first dungeon 1.5 hrs in. I started with Apocalyptic difficulty. Is it normal for enemies just 1-hit killing you. Is this Apocalyptic meant for new game plus?

I love mostly everything so far
I'm up to the Psychomeron
but the "get 3 of x" is getting really old. And so far, the dungeons are not as good as the first.

So, I'm about 12 hours in and I think I'm done.

I absolutely loved the first Darksiders, but this one is just kinda... boring I guess.

The only thing that has kept me going is hoping that it will interest me in the same way the first did, but so far its been pretty underwhelming.

I don't think its a bad game at all, I just can't get into it for whatever reason :\

Nemesis_

Jesper Kyd is amazing.

Anyone know the name of the track that plays during the first open world area? I think it's the Stonefeather's Vale.

It's so goddamn tranquil. He's such a talented composer.

Jesper Kyd is amazing.

Anyone know the name of the track that plays during the first open world area? I think it's the Stonefeather's Vale.

It's so goddamn tranquil. He's such a talented composer.

Oh man, that's Jesper Kyd? No wonder the soundtrack is the best thing about this game.

Mr.Fresh

Hey guys. I loved Darksiders until you get the
Portal Gun
near the end and I stopped playing because I hated it . Is there anything like that in this?

Arkain

I feel like I missed something?

He's probably talking about this post:

Again I'll iterate; No tearing on X360 or PS3. Sometimes footage may have come from PC's and/or Console running debug versions (which naturally run slower due to under-the-hood process we do to track things) or it could've been a capture problem. People who've played the latest version have commented on how well it has run.

H

@haydndalton

The game has the worst tearing I've seen thus far on Xbox360, and the framerate is terrible, at least on my Xbox.

Nemesis_

Has anyone had any problems with achievements?

Thus far I am actually going fine, but a lot of people are reporting some that aren't unlocking =/

Khezu

The game has the worst tearing I've seen thus far on Xbox360, and the framerate is terrible, at least on my Xbox.

Really? On the xbox the only tearing I have seen so far is from opening the guide menu, and the framerate has only chugged a few times, specifically one boss that shoves as many small mobs on the screen as possible.

Not sure what the average FPS is, I don't think its 30, but it runs better then LoS did on the xbox.

Haunted

Klepek's interview with the founders of Vigil on Giantbomb is an interesting read. It's mostly about Darksiders 1, but also gives some insight into the development process on 2. They seem like a nice bunch of guys.

Game ending spoilers:
Although they flat out lied about the ending. It's shit. :p

Feindflug

Played for about 5 hours yesterday and I have to say that the 360 version at least is a technical mess...hell the frame-rate is definitely lower than the first game - sub-30fps performance with lots of tearing (tearing? but there's no tearing!) in open areas especially with Despair on the screen - yeah when you are on foot performance is better but Vigil for some reason thought that the particles on Despair were more important than a smoother frame-rate (WTF?) and while dungeons are smoother there is also random stuttering and drops maybe caused by data streaming, also the IQ is destroyed by the lack of any decent texture filtering and the game looks like it's running at a sub-HD resolution with a post processing AA.

I don't know if it's their engine struggling to render a big world or the game is just rushed but DS2 on 360 is easily one of the most unpolished and badly optimized games I've seen this gen.

The sad thing is that under all this crap there's a good game because even if the game starts off rather bland when compared to the first game I enjoyed what I played thus far and look forward to play this more.

Arkain

Really? On the xbox the only tearing I have seen so far is from opening the guide menu, and the framerate has only chugged a few times, specifically one boss that shoves as many small mobs on the screen as possible.

Not sure what the average FPS is, I don't think its 30, but it runs better then LoS did on the xbox.

I did some searching and while a lot of Xbox players seem to be unaffected ("no screen tearing and rarely any framedrops 12 hours in", etc.), there are definitely other people with the same problem as me. And it's not like the I'm more sensitive to the matter, I played through LoS and Dragon's Dogma without ever really being bothered by the technical issues. This game runs a lot worse for me than either of them. It tears all the time and the framerate stutters like crazy.

I don't really get how there can be such big differences on the same console. I have the game installed by the way.

Maffis

Played for about 5 hours yesterday and I have to say that the 360 version at least is a technical mess...hell the frame-rate is definitely lower than the first game - sub-30fps performance with lots of tearing (tearing? but there's no tearing!) in open areas especially with Despair on the screen - yeah when you are on foot performance is better but Vigil for some reason thought that the particles on Despair were more important than a smoother frame-rate (WTF?) and while dungeons are smoother there is also random stuttering and drops maybe caused by data streaming, also the IQ is destroyed by the lack of any decent texture filtering and the game looks like it's running at a sub-HD resolution with a post processing AA.

I don't know if it's their engine struggling to render a big world or the game is just rushed but DS2 on 360 is easily one of the most unpolished and badly optimized games I've seen this gen.

The sad thing is that under all this crap there's a good game because even if the game starts off rather bland when compared to the first game I enjoyed what I played thus far and look forward to play this more.

Hmm from footage I've seen it doesn't seem to be this bad. But then again, I endured Assassins' Creed 2: Revelations on the PS3.

dan2026

Sounds like this Xbox version is a technical nightmare.

Was thinking about picking this up, but not anymore.

Developers should not be rewarded for shitty coding.

Thrakier

After much trial and error, I have found a way to completely remove all the stuttering and vsync issues with the game.

(560ti, windows 7 64 bit, 305.53 Nvidia Drivers, D3D Overider)

So from experimenting here's what I found.

V-sync from game ( does not work )
V-sync from control panel ( massive stuttering)
V-sync from D3D ( less stuttering )
V-sync from D3D and Control Panel ( about the same )
V-sync from D3D in windowed mode = Perfect.

Here's the magic combination.

Set Vsync In the in Nvidia control panel to "Use 3D applications setting"
Set Triple Buffering to "on"
(you can freely set anistropic filtering to what ever value you want, and FX Antialiasing works just fine)

In D3D overider Set Vsync to "on" and Triple Buffering to "Off"

Now in the game make sure V-sync is not checked, and run the game in a window.

You should now have the game running in a window perfectly v-synced with zero stutter.
At this point, I used This Program to make the window go into border-less full screen mode.

The border-less window program did require an self update to work on the game, but its a simple procedure.

So there you have it.. a few hoops to jump through, but you will get a super smooth v-sync with zero stutter. ( this same principle applied to AOE online, running that game with forced v-sync in a border-less window removed similar stutter)

Also, when running in border-less window mode the in game gamma is ineffective. The game will just use whatever you native desktop gamma settings are. You can remedy this by using nvidia's built in Gamma and contrast correction from within the control panel. I had to do this, as the game was a bit too dark.

Hope this helps anyone with stutter issues. As always with the vast array of different hardware and drivers out there, your mileage may vary.

If you need help just ask.

Edit: helping just one person to enjoy the game was worth the post

I have made about the same experience, however what you do makes no sense. Triple Buffering in Nvidia Driver does nothing, your are playing the game with regular vsync by D3D overrider.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Last night I ended with the
horseback guardian fight. Amazing stuff, accompagnied by an amazing Kyd-track.
Dungeon before it was fun as well, I'm loving this game. It can't be stressed enough how Kyd's music improves the experience though, this may be one of this gen's best soundtracks.

Shame about the technical issues though. Last night I also had my first freeze on PS3. Game just locked up after a cutscene. I haven't noticed that much tearing on PS3, but the framerate does dip in the open areas. I can live with that, the slow menus are more annoying. Especially in a loot game like this, where you're pressing select all the time.

Just beat the game. Overall it was pretty alright I think, but nothing that's changed my life or anything. Pretty much how the first Darksiders was for me, too. Good summer game.

ttk

It tears all the time and the framerate stutters like crazy.

I have the same problems. I'm usually not bothered by things like this, but this is probably the worst I have experienced so far. It's not unplayable, but pretty close.

I just arrived in
the Angel world
. How much longer is the game approximately? It's fun and all, but not as good as I hoped it would be.

I have one of each pre-order DLC (Steam) to give away. Just quote me and say which one you want. Only 1 per person.

1x Deadly Despair (Your horse has +1 stamina bar)
1x Death Rides (A handful of additional (fetch-) quests)
1x Angel of Death (Set of lv 5 armor + scythes with crazy health regeneration. Pretty broken. I think this is the one that gives your crow a purple instead of a green glow as well)
I'll take the horse! Thanks

Just got the Game and have played about 40 minutes so far. I'm fighting some tree monster and its kicking my ass! Am I in the right place? I went to the right when you get the to the first open world section.

Also, did I get the Chaos Fang and pauldron of the horsemen for beating Darksiders one?

Just got the Game and have played about 40 minutes so far. I'm fighting some tree monster and its kicking my ass! Am I in the right place? I went to the right when you get the to the first open world section.

Also, did I get the Chaos Fang and pauldron of the horsemen for beating Darksiders one?

Are you fighting Gorewood? He's an optional boss, it's possible to beat him the first time you find him, you are just not allowed to get hit. He drops a lv 10 weapon, so you can just get back to him later.

Are you fighting Gorewood? He's an optional boss, it's possible to beat him the first time you find him, you are just not allowed to get hit. He drops a lv 10 weapon, so you can just get back to him later.

Cheers. I thought I was just really terrible at the game, well maybe I am. haha.

Edit: I'm going down the necro route. Is that a good idea? Or should I mix it up?

RPGCrazied

I see tearing on the PS3 version. Mostly when I'm out in the big outdoor area's. I don't see it in dungeons or in small area's. But it still there and bugs me. I'd love this game so much more if it didn't tear at all.

Cheers. I though I was just really terrible at the game, well maybe I am. haha.

Edit: I'm going down the necro route. Is the a good idea? Or should I mix it up?

You can respec at any time for 1000 G at Vulgrim. I went full harbinger, but other people have been praising the ghouls and crows summons.

doublefrost

Neo Member
I have one of each pre-order DLC (Steam) to give away. Just quote me and say which one you want. Only 1 per person.

1x Deadly Despair (Your horse has +1 stamina bar) TAKEN
1x Death Rides (A handful of additional (fetch-) quests) TAKEN
1x Angel of Death (Set of lv 5 armor + scythes with crazy health regeneration. Pretty broken. I think this is the one that gives your crow a purple instead of a green glow as well)

I'd be keen on the game-breaking newbie armor if it's still going!

neoism

man I hope they don't wait to patch this until the tomb DLC comes out.... I haven't played in a few days..hopeing the patch will come out but they will probably wait til DLC comes. :/

Anyone that preordered from amazon....are they emailing a code for the tomb dlc, becasue I didn't get one or is thq emailing it to us....??????

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wait, the stones you get by shooting at them are supposed to make a sound when you're close to them?

What kind of sound?

Top Bottom