• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

neoism

I have one of each pre-order DLC (Steam) to give away. Just quote me and say which one you want. Only 1 per person.

1x Deadly Despair (Your horse has +1 stamina bar) TAKEN
1x Death Rides (A handful of additional (fetch-) quests) TAKEN
1x Angel of Death (Set of lv 5 armor + scythes with crazy health regeneration. Pretty broken. I think this is the one that gives your crow a purple instead of a green glow as well)

Death Rides please

Denzar

My mind is set on Sleeping Dawgs ATM but I loved the original Darksiders. I don't have a lot of time because of my job and a very busy social life (a.k.a. boozing it up with my bro's), should I make time for DS II once I've finished Sleeping Dogs?

tl:dr : Is it essential if you loved DS I?

Lombax

Banned
Just wanted to post this as a public service. Directions through the
Soul Arbiter's Maze

Maze Floor 1 Directions To Exit: N, W.
Floor 1 Path To Secret Treasure: S, E.

Maze Floor 2 Directions To Exit: E, S, N.
Floor 2 Path To Secret Treasure: N, N.

Maze Floor 3 Directions To Exit: W, E, N, N.
Floor 3 Path To Secret Treasure: N, S, E.

Maze Floor 4 Directions To Exit: E, W, N, S.
Floor 4 Path To Secret Treasure: W, E, N.

Maze Floor 5 Directions To Exit: W, W, N, E.
Floor 5 Path To Secret Treasure: W, N, S.

Maze Floor 6 Directions To Exit: S, E, E, N, N.
Floor 6 Path To Secret Treasure: E, E, E, S.

Maze Floor 7 Directions To Exit: S, W, E, E, E.
Floor 7 Path To Secret Treasure: S, S, W, N, N.

Maze Floor 8 Directions To Exit: N, W, N, W, E.
Floor 8 Path To Secret Treasure: N, S, S, E, N.

Maze Floor 9 Directions To Exit: E, N, E, N, S.
Floor 9 Path To Secret Treasure: S, W, E, E, N.

Maze Floor 10 Directions To Exit: W, E, N, S, W.
Floor 10 Path To Secret Treasure: N, S, E, W.

Its awesome that there is so much to do outside of the main and sub quests.

edit: beaten a few pages back

KevinCow

Banned
My mind is set on Sleeping Dawgs ATM but I loved the original Darksiders. I don't have a lot of time because of my job and a very busy social life (a.k.a. boozing it up with my bro's), should I make time for DS II once I've finished Sleeping Dogs?

If you liked Darksiders and you want that but more and better, then yes.

Also Derrick is negative and bitter about everything ever, don't take him too seriously.

I thought DS 1 was an okay game and I think DS 2 is also an okay game.

Derrick01

Banned
Not sure if serious....

A second opnion perhaps?

I could go into more detail but it's going to involve light spoilers at the very least. But it was not a good game.

KevinCow said:
If you liked Darksiders and you want that but more and better, then yes.

Also Derrick is negative and bitter about everything ever, don't take him too seriously.

There's certainly more than DS1 but it's a classic case of quantity > quality.

aparisi2274

This goes out to all who have beaten the game...

1. How many hours did it take you to complete?

2. What level were you at when you finished the game?

3. Did you have the
Legendary Items
(if they even exist)?

Dahbomb

Of course you should get DS2 eventually when you have the free time and what not. I don't know why select opinions should shy you away from trying the game, there is a lot to get into with the game and aspects that you may like that others didn't. IMO its at least as good as DS1 in a lot of ways.

It also depends upon what type of game you like. If you are in the Batman AC > Batman AA crowd then you will like this way more than DS1.

And I finally got the XXXX:Y Just Frame. Yes it requires that you use it on a training dummy or an enemy, can't use it in mid air. For the Arm Blades he does the projectile charge attack instantly. Too bad I depleted all the HP from the training dummies so I can't try anything else until I reload.

Derrick01

Banned
It also depends upon what type of game you like. If you are in the Batman AC > Batman AA crowd then you will like this way more than DS1.

Bad comparison, I like AC more than AA but it actually improved on the first game in almost every way. And the story wasn't close to non existent and at best a lateral progression from the first game's.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
apifa.jpg

:lol

KevinCow

Banned
Haha, wow. Got a Possessed Buckler and decided to finally give fast weapons a shot. Upgraded it to have health on crit and upgraded crit chance.

Health on crit + 58% crit chance + a zillion hits per second = mash the button and health just flies out of the enemy.

Still, heavy weapons are more my thing, so I'll probably switch back as soon as I get another good possessed one.

This goes out to all who have beaten the game...

1. How many hours did it take you to complete?

2. What level were you at when you finished the game?

3. Did you have the
Legendary Items
(if they even exist)?

1. Almost exactly 24 hours. Then I put in a couple more hours of sidequesting before starting New Game +.

2. About 20 or 21.

3. I'm not really sure what you mean by this. There are possessed weapons that you get randomly which you can upgrade by feeding them other weapons, and there are a handful of special weapons with special properties that you get for doing certain things such as beating certain bosses. I have some of both.

Too bad I depleted all the HP from the training dummies so I can't try anything else until I reload.

You can destroy the training dummies? I just wail on them and their health bar never depletes. Another PC version difference?

Dahbomb

Bad comparison, I like AC more than AA but it actually improved on the first game in almost every way. And the story wasn't close to non existent and at best a lateral progression from the first game's.
And so does DS2 improve on DS1 in almost every way.

Way better combat and much faster, way more side dungeons/quests, much deeper RPG customization, a Crucible mode, better soundtrack, more collectibles to find, bigger worlds to explore, fast travel option and more/better platforming.

Right now the only 2 things that DS1 has over DS2 is a more focused and better paced campaign and a better story. And less bugs but even DS1 was a buggy game despite being a much smaller game.

Dahbomb

You can destroy the training dummies? I just wail on them and their health bar never depletes. Another PC version difference?
Eventually they stop having active hit boxes. Some of the training dummies are your level and some are LVL1 where they take like 3 hits and their life bar disappears. The higher level ones also deplete after a while. I have to re-enter the room for them to regain their health.

So I have discovered all the combat tricks that Tragic posted a while back. I just want to know if you can do a just frame off of the gauntlet Focus + Back + Y (tap Y) attack or the Claw air charge Y. Some just frames like the XXXX:Y one require that you be hitting something to pull it off which means that unless I have live targets to practice against I can't rule out the existence of other just frames.

3. Did you have the Legendary Items (if they even exist)?
I don't know what you mean by this. There are white, green, blue, purple, unique purple and possessed weapons (in that order that's the hierarchy of weapons). What the game actually refers to as Legendary items are the unique purples in that they have fixed stats they give you and can be found in the world through some conditions (either just lying around somewhere or through defeating side quests/bosses). Basically unique purples = Legendary, so something like the Black Demise is a Legendary weapon. Some people call Possessed weapons Legendary weapons too but they are not fixed in stats. Possessed weapons can be purchased through Vulgrim by the Legacy (orange) box if you are on the PC version.

Maffis

Story is the only thing I would say DS1 trumps DS2 over, which is sad, if it wasn't for the fact that I am enjoying everything else 10 times more. Better combat, better and bigger world, tons of side quests, AWESOME MUSIC and the pretty deep loot system.

Story is the only thing I would say DS1 trumps DS2 over, which is sad, if it wasn't for the fact that I am enjoying everything else 10 times more. Better combat, better and bigger world, tons of side quests, AWESOME MUSIC and the pretty deep loot system.

The loot system is shallower than in Diablo 3. Only a few stats that are really worth having.

Dahbomb

The loot system is shallower than in Diablo 3. Only a few stats that are really worth having.
Loot system is perfectly fine for an action game and a lot of the stats are worth having depending upon your own build type.

The only fault in the RPG stats stuff is that health steal and wrath steal is completely OP but the rest of the stuff is fine. Much better than I expected it would turn out.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Loot system is perfectly fine for an action game and a lot of the stats are worth having depending upon your own build type.

The only fault in the RPG stats stuff is that health steal and wrath steal is completely OP but the rest of the stuff is fine. Much better than I expected it would turn out.

I'd considered reaper energy on execute with high execute together is op as well :p You can make it so you get like a full bar off a single execute :3

Derrick01

Banned
And so does DS2 improve on DS1 in almost every way.

Way better combat and much faster, way more side dungeons/quests, much deeper RPG customization, a Crucible mode, better soundtrack, more collectibles to find, bigger worlds to explore, fast travel option and more/better platforming.

Right now the only 2 things that DS1 has over DS2 is a more focused and better paced campaign and a better story. And less bugs but even DS1 was a buggy game despite being a much smaller game.

Most of that stuff is poorly implemented. Way more dungeons yet the few in DS1 were not only more memorable but tougher in the puzzle area. Quests? How dare you mention quests in this game in a positive tone when it's all pointless fetch shit. More collectibles just means more chore work for achievements, fast travel was in DS1 I remember using it specifically for DS1's late game triforce collectathon. Deeper RPG customization like the garbage loot system where you find 1 possessed weapon that renders everything useless? RPG stuff like merchants that just sell more useless loot you don't need?

Denzar

Of course you should get DS2 eventually when you have the free time and what not. I don't know why select opinions should shy you away from trying the game, there is a lot to get into with the game and aspects that you may like that others didn't. IMO its at least as good as DS1 in a lot of ways.

I found Arkham City to be more enjoyable than Arkham Asylum. But not much.

Select opninions will not shy me away but they help me make a decision more easily, ofc. I read reviews and lurk message boards, but the more opninions I can gather, the better.

How's the play time? I completed DS 1 in around 22 hours, collecting everything.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
My bro is playing the game and the game has crashed a lot on 360. The game area giving trouble is The Black Stone where basically the game crashes. He goes to an area where it starts autosaving and it crashes there.

Is anyone else having the same problem or is it a faulty disc?

aparisi2274

1. Almost exactly 24 hours. Then I put in a couple more hours of sidequesting before starting New Game +.

2. About 20 or 21.

3. I'm not really sure what you mean by this. There are possessed weapons that you get randomly which you can upgrade by feeding them other weapons, and there are a handful of special weapons with special properties that you get for doing certain things such as beating certain bosses. I have some of both.

1. I am like 14hrs right now and just made it to the 2nd major area (right after the forge lands)

2. I am at level 14.

3. These were the weapons and armor that Death got in DS1. thought maybe they would have made an appearance in DS2.

Dahbomb

Most of that stuff is poorly implemented. Way more dungeons yet the few in DS1 were not only more memorable but tougher in the puzzle area. Quests? How dare you mention quests in this game in a positive tone when it's all pointless fetch shit. More collectibles just means more chore work for achievements, fast travel was in DS1 I remember using it specifically for DS1's late game triforce collectathon. Deeper RPG customization like the garbage loot system where you find 1 possessed weapon that renders everything useless? RPG stuff like merchants that just sell more useless loot you don't need?
So much wrong in this post.

By quests I was talking about the side quests mostly. Shattered Forge, the 4 elite boss hunt from Thane, Scar, Soul Arbiters maze etc are way better than even most of the main quests in DS1. The elite bosses also provided way more of a challenge than anything in DS1. Personally I didn't find any of the puzzles in DS1 to be all that challenging except for some of the ones in the Black Throne quest, which I personally didn't mind much.

The collectibles are not just for achievements, the stones boost your stats and the pages you collect allow you to go to a room with some impressive loot and a legendary talisman, one of which gives you a possessed weapon per common item found. All of the collectibles in the game improve your character and that's what good collectibles should be about.

Fast travel in DS1 only ported you to Vulgrim locations, there was a lot of pointless running around on the horse in DS1. Couldn't fast travel out of dungeons either without back tracking all the way to a Vulgrim location.

One possessed weapon renders everything useless? Maybe at end game LVL30 but for most of my game the Legendary/Unique items you find for beating side quests have outclassed everything including the ones that give you fire DoT, the Lich Spines, the Achidna Claws and the Black Demise. Only way possessed weapons outclass these types of weapon is very late in the game when you have accumulated various different types of stats to feed into a possessed weapon.

I have found numerous upgrades from the merchants especially for armor pieces. I have also found numerous great stat items from merchants that I purchased instantly that I plan to feed into my end game possessed weapon. I have also found numerous good loot that I have saved up. In addition, I have also found many useful items from doing side quests and some of them I am currently using right now. I know experience varies when it comes to loot and especially when playing different difficulties but you should really look more into the system before making baseless assumptions.

Gbraga

I'm afraid to overlevel the side bosses, should I wait until NG+ to fight them?

By the way, my game was shipped to the wrong address, great.

Dahbomb

I'm afraid to overlevel the side bosses, should I wait until NG+ to fight them?

By the way, my game was shipped to the wrong address, great.
No fight them as early as you can. When you fight them early their weapon will be instant boost to you once you are able to equip them.

Nemesis_

Another annoying soundtrack question - anyone know the name of the track while you're in the Tears dungeon?

Cheers!

Also DAHMBOMB - PREACH that TRUTH.

Derrick01

Banned
So much wrong in this post.

By quests I was talking about the side quests mostly. Shattered Forge, the 4 elite boss hunt from Thane, Scar, Soul Arbiters maze etc are way better than even most of the main quests in DS1. The elite bosses also provided way more of a challenge than anything in DS1. Personally I didn't find any of the puzzles in DS1 to be all that challenging except for some of the ones in the Black Throne quest, which I personally didn't mind much.

The collectibles are not just for achievements, the stones boost your stats and the pages you collect allow you to go to a room with some impressive loot and a legendary talisman, one of which gives you a possessed weapon per common item found. All of the collectibles in the game improve your character and that's what good collectibles should be about.

Fast travel in DS1 only ported you to Vulgrim locations, there was a lot of pointless running around on the horse in DS1. Couldn't fast travel out of dungeons either without back tracking all the way to a Vulgrim location.

One possessed weapon renders everything useless? Maybe at end game LVL30 but for most of my game the Legendary/Unique items you find for beating side quests have outclassed everything including the ones that give you fire DoT, the Lich Spines, the Achidna Claws and the Black Demise. Only way possessed weapons outclass these types of weapon is very late in the game when you have accumulated various different types of stats to feed into a possessed weapon.

I have found numerous upgrades from the merchants especially for armor pieces. I have also found numerous great stat items from merchants that I purchased instantly that I plan to feed into my end game possessed weapon. I have also found numerous good loot that I have saved up. In addition, I have also found many useful items from doing side quests and some of them I am currently using right now. I know experience varies when it comes to loot and especially when playing different difficulties but you should really look more into the system before making baseless assumptions.

Most of what you said is negated by the game being piss easy. Those weapons you listed by name were not as good as my possessed weapons except maybe the special abilities they had. But no one in the game offers a challenge on normal difficulty so those are pointless.

That also ties in to what the next poster asked. Do the side bosses as early as you can because fighting a level 20 guy at level 13 is the only challenge you get in the game.

Ricker

Man that took forever...what awful controls and camera angles for the final Boss of Act 1,rage inducing stuff right there lol...anyway,finally got it...

One thing I am wondering is about the Shattered Forge sidequest to find the Hammer...there is still one point that I can't progress in there because of those yellow rocks...I thought with the purple thing on my hand now I could go on in there but it defaults to the Pistol once inside the dungeon...guessing I still need to come back here later once I found something to destroy those rocks without a Construct?

Man that took forever...what awful controls and camera angles for the final Boss of Act 1,rage inducing stuff right there lol...anyway,finally got it...

One thing I am wondering is about the Shattered Forge sidequest to find the Hammer...there is still one point that I can't progress in there because of those yellow rocks...I thought with the purple thing on my hand now I could go on in there but it defaults to the Pistol once inside the dungeon...guessing I still need to come back here later once I found something to destroy those rocks without a Construct?

I don't remember that particular puzzle, but yellow stones can also be destroyed with those regrowing flower bombs. And if you're at the end of World 1 you definitely have all the tools you need to get to the hammer.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Post your guys stat screens. There are at least 15 or so points in the game that are combat intense as fuck and that's on the main story path. Not saying you died but if you had to chug pots and abuse life/wrath regen shit and call the game piss easy after :lol

Ricker

I don't remember that particular puzzle, but yellow stones can also be destroyed with those regrowing flower bombs. And if you're at the end of World 1 you definitely have all the tools you need to get to the hammer.

Yeah thats why I figured I would go back there to finish that sidequest before moving into Act 2...the room I am in,I can see from afar,on a higher level,those exploding yellow rocks that are like in thin yellow stream but I cant pull them to me...the next room is only water,in a small corridor,at one point the camera angle changes to an overhead shot of the squared area I go in,underwater or not,but there is no exit in there and nothing to do per say that I can see...mmm,guess I will start from the entrance again,maybe I missed something.

Derrick01

Banned
Post your guys stat screens. There are at least 15 or so points in the game that are combat intense as fuck and that's on the main story path. Not saying you died but if you had to chug pots and abuse life/wrath regen shit and call the game piss easy after :lol

I only had 1 life regen gear and it was a really small amount. Like it would have taken 10+ minutes of standing there to let it refill my health all of the way, not enough to make any kind of difference for the point of the game I was in.

I played on normal but it was yet another modern game where normal is really the easy mode. I had a much tougher time with DS1 on normal.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I only had 1 life regen gear and it was a really small amount. Like it would have taken 10+ minutes of standing there to let it refill my health all of the way, not enough to make any kind of difference for the point of the game I was in.

I played on normal but it was yet another modern game where normal is really the easy mode. I had a much tougher time with DS1 on normal.

Oh, well yeah. Normal is pretty brain dead it was easy as hell in ds1 as well. In apoc even the little bugs and stuff hit for at least 400-500 damage. The game on apoc is easier than ds1 apoc though. I'll go as far to say the fights in ds2 are more fluid but the fights in ds1 are faster. War was fucking FAST mostly for the cancels and the fact you could infinitely backdash into sidedash with no pauses

RPGCrazied

Game is buggy. Sometimes sounds will stop playing. I had it freeze a couple time on
Earth
I do really enjoy it. The art/music/combat is really awesome. Technical side of things its a bit messy.

24 hours and I think I'm nearing the end. Just got the
portal gun

I said it once, I like this way more than Darksiders 1. The story could've used some work though, almost feels absent.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Game is buggy. Sometimes sounds will stop playing. I had it freeze a couple time on
Earth
I do really enjoy it. The art/music/combat is really awesome. Technical side of things its a bit messy.

24 hours and I think I'm nearing the end. Just got the
portal gun

I said it once, I like this way more than Darksiders 1. The story could've used some work though, almost feels absent.

The main goal of the game should of been the half way point really.

Dahbomb

DS2 Apoc difficulty compared to DS1 is very uneven. If you are underleveled its way harder than DS1 especially the side quests/bosses but if you are overleveled it becomes as easy as Normal mode.

Most of what you said is negated by the game being piss easy. Those weapons you listed by name were not as good as my possessed weapons except maybe the special abilities they had. But no one in the game offers a challenge on normal difficulty so those are pointless.
Stopped reading right there. Neither DS1 nor DS2 offers any real challenge in Normal mode so why even comment on it?

I will say that in DS1 I miss the Shuriken the most. I always had that equipped and I also enjoyed the puzzles involving it.

RPGCrazied

I hope with Darksiders 3 the story actually moves forward. I will be annoyed if the next game with fury takes place the same point as death and war.

Top Bottom