• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

gdt

Ended up just restarting. Actually found the mini dungeon on the way to Gorewood, didn't find that the first time. Skipping dialogue/cutscenes like a mofo. The most painful part is searching all the crannies for the boat coins again.

Peterthumpa

How do you limit the FPS without using VSync? I've seen people talking about MSI Afterburner but I installed it and I can't find any options.

There's a separate utility called OSD, you can find it inside the program group. It looks a lot like D3DOverrider and you have, on settings, the option to cap the framerate.

ColR100

I just flicked on a stream, and something is bothering me.

When the player attacks an enemy an xp number or something highlights above the enemy on every hit.

Can this be turned off?

K&M users don't have a way to zoom out the world map. Or at least I did not find the way.

Overall, im very satisfied with the PC version. After customizing controlls and applying D3Doveride, its great. Could be better, but this is great.

I'm not satisfied with the PC version, but at least it runs great and has no hiccups. Hasn't teared yet on me either. I'd say its an adequate port, they definitely didn't go out of their way for the PC version by giving us texture options, AA, etc. (beating a dead horse by this point).

The game however, is amazing and really fun to play. At work atm and really want to go back home and play it some more =)

Dahbomb

Combat feedback? can people compare it to other games in the genre since I didn't play 1?
Better than GoW, Darksiders 1, Zelda, POP, Dante's Inferno etc but as of right now not on the caliber of DMC, Bayo, NG. I still haven't maxed out his options so I can't tell what his full set of tools is. Combat skill is required for Apocalyptic especially starting out.

Anyone figure out the hidden application of the Meteor Strike?

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm not satisfied with the PC version, but at least it runs great and has no hiccups. Hasn't teared yet on me either. I'd say its an adequate port, they definitely didn't go out of their way for the PC version by giving us texture options, AA, etc. (beating a dead horse by this point).

The game however, is amazing and really fun to play. At work atm and really want to go back home and play it some more =)

Yes, I too would like more options to play with, but so far... imma continue playing and be happy. :D

Anyone figure out the hidden application of the Meteor Strike?
Faster downward traversal? :D Good for medium/long jumps down to the lower levels.

x3sphere

Fuck...now I wish I didn't day 1 this :(

For what it's worth, I absolutely hate fetch quests and had no problem with it in Darksiders. I mean, it's a valid complaint but when you think about it, many games these days boil down to fetch quests in terms of progression. It's what happens during them that matters.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So, I never played Darksiders 1, but this new one looks very interesting! If I go straight into DS2 will I be completely lost or is there a summary thing? I may get this or sleeping dogs :)

Dahbomb

Faster downward traversal? :D Good for medium/long jumps down to the lower levels.
That's its obvious application plus getting down fast during aerial combos, it's supposed to have some other function as well.

So, I never played Darksiders 1, but this new one looks very interesting! If I go straight into DS2 will I be completely lost or is there a summary thing? I may get this or sleeping dogs :)
Game does a decent enough job of explaining the events of the first one. It's a game that runs parallel to the original in terms of storyline.

Salaadin

Wtf is up with the Van Der Smash and the Mace?

I registered in game, they emailed me the instructions, and then a message popped up saying my email was registered. I go to the links and log in, it loks me in, and then says that I need to register in game to access the promo.

Megasoum

Banned
There's a separate utility called OSD, you can find it inside the program group. It looks a lot like D3DOverrider and you have, on settings, the option to cap the framerate.

Got it! Is limiting the fps supposed to remove the tearing? I thought it would "simulate" a V-Sync?

I registered in game, they emailed me the instructions, and then a message popped up saying my email was registered. I go to the links and log in, it loks me in, and then says that I need to register in game to access the promo.

Mine said the code was below and it was blank. In my THQ profile it says it will be emailed to me when they are available.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hmm, game does not run well for me.

Just like the first damn game, I see lots of weird drops and hitches while playing despite FRAPS always reporting 60 fps.

The game clearly struggles with display synchronization of some sort. They're doing something on the back end with this engine that just doesn't play nice with my machine. Of course, my PC today is 100% different from the PC I played DS1 on so it certainly isn't anything related to that build.

Have you tried running it with Fraps completely closed out. Fraps always gives me stuttering in my games fopr some odd reason.

Salaadin

Mine said the code was below and it was blank. In my THQ profile it says it will be emailed to me when they are available.

Theyve emailed me 8 times now to welcome me to the community even though the game wont let me log in because my account details are invalid....

rybrad

They haven't sent codes out for the mace yet, it just says they will send when available. In regards to to your log-in issue, un-link and then re-link your account. Re-linking fixed it for me; I got the code for the Van Der Smash and the Mace shows up in my redeemed list with the same note as Argul's Tomb.

I'm in the second dungeon and could use a bit of help near the beginning.

EDIT: Figured it out. Just had to walk away for a minute.

Wish the console version could run at 60 frames. Would look so, so much better in a game where you're swiveling the camera all the time.

Also, the music in this game is surprisingly awesome so far. Really, really standout tracks, especially the second dungeon. I just stopped and was like, "Whoa..."

That battle with
Crow Keeper/fake War
was godlike.

Music is awesome.

Also loving Death's voice, "don't touch me." I thought that was a funny line lol

Syriel

There's a room with two of those glowing blue balls to be put into place to drop a gate for the next door. I got the first one, but the second is giving me trouble. It's the one that you free by attaching a bomb to the shit holding it in place, then blowing it free. However, it's being kept separate from the main section of the room by another gate, which I can't figure out how to lower. I feel like a dumbass not being able to figure this out. No clue what I'm missing.

Wish the console version could run at 60 frames. Would look so, so much better in a game where you're swiveling the camera all the time.

Also, the music in this game is surprisingly awesome so far. Really, really standout tracks, especially the second dungeon. I just stopped and was like, "Whoa..."

You're thinking too linearly.

Solution:

1) Roll ball to gate.
2) Put bomb on ball.
3) Hop up on platform in center of room. This lowers the gate.
4) Shoot bomb to make it explode and force the ball into the next room.
5) Climb over wall.
6) Place ball in hole.

There's a room with two of those glowing blue balls to be put into place to drop a gate for the next door. I got the first one, but the second is giving me trouble. It's the one that you free by attaching a bomb to the shit holding it in place, then blowing it free. However, it's being kept separate from the main section of the room by another gate, which I can't figure out how to lower. I feel like a dumbass not being able to figure this out. No clue what I'm missing.

I came here to ask about this. I'm going to feel so stupid soon.

You're thinking too linearly.

Solution:

1) Roll ball to gate.
2) Put bomb on ball.
3) Hop up on platform in center of room. This lowers the gate.
4) Shoot bomb to make it explode and force the ball into the next room.
5) Climb over wall.
6) Place ball in hole.

Thanks!

Another issue I noticed (not sure if pc only) some shadow details have real short draw in distance. You can see them go from blurry to detailed like 3 feet in front of Death. It's kind of jarring if you notice it.

DTKT

Another issue I noticed (not sure if pc only) some shadow details have real short draw in distance. You can see them go from blurry to detailed like 3 feet in front of Death. It's kind of jarring if you notice it.

That's probably because it's a straight port. And it's that way on console because of performance issues.

forrest

formerly nacire
Such a great game only to be marred by some small tech issues and pre-order code fiascos. The preorder items for the most part are an absolute wash for many people. I'm not sure who dropped the ball of the delivery/functionality etc., but it's such a clusterfuck.

Such a great fucking game though. Best game art I've seen in years. Low texel density on a few of the npc's when up close conversing, but aside from that truly outstanding! Such execution from concept to in game assets.

I'm not really much of a potion guy so the health and wrath potions aren't really doing it for me. I would much prefer the game be balanced around resource regen and stats that increase that factor as opposed to what is currently present. I understand that with a finite amount of potions it's completely different than neverending regen, but still not feeling the potions.

I also miss Life and Wrath shards, but I guess they don't make a ton of sense in a loot based game.

Holy Shit! IGN gave Darksiders 2 a 7.5. Stating GLITCHES, graphics and repetition as problems. This is the same IGN that gave Silent Hill HD a 9.0, with no glitches in site.

>.>

Can the glitches in this game really be worse... lol

Megasoum

Banned
Gorewood
is pretty much a 1 hit kill early on. clear a dungeon or 2 before you take him on. I recommend level 8+

Yeah actually it wasn't too bad... I got him on the second try on level 7. Spammed my ghouls and kept dodging. Too bad I can't use the reward for another 3 level lol.

Top Bottom