• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Well I'm about 4 hours I and just reached the entrance of the second dungeon. The game is truly amazing. Love the combat, size & scope of environments, and the exploration/traversal of the realms. Vigil did a hell of job with this sequel, so well in fact that DS1 still is a great game in and of itself.

A lot of times sequels make the previous game to be an inferior experience (i.e. Uncharted 1 compared to Uncharted 2). But both games are still excellent and I'm looking forward to finishing DS1 after I complete DS2.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well I'm about 4 hours I and just reached the entrance of the second dungeon. The game is truly amazing. Love the combat, size & scope of environments, and the exploration/traversal of the realms. Vigil did a hell of job with this sequel, so well in fact that DS1 still is a great game in and of itself.

A lot of times sequels make the previous game to be an inferior experience (i.e. Uncharted 1 compared to Uncharted 2). But both games are still excellent and I'm looking forward to finishing DS1 after I complete DS2.

Honestly they are so different from each other it wouldn't be weird to go back and play ds1 I agree :p

forrest

formerly nacire
Yeah all the crazy talk in this thread is just that, crazy talk. Small technical hiccups aside this game is absolutely phenomenal and if you decide to pass on it for whatever reason, you're missing out on one of the best games this year and maybe of the generation. Real talk.

Back to playing!

Is it just me..or does normal seem a bit easy? I'm only like an hour in so I could restart...but I'm a bit worried that Apocalyptic might be too much of a jump. I suppose I could save it for NG+.

Apocalyptic feels perfect to me!

Also I've said it before in those "Which Dev would you choose to remake which game?" thread. Vigil would be a perfect fit to remake Shadowman. It's like they were created for it. Hdn, Tragic, tell Joe to make this happen after Darksiders please!

So I'm level three (game is great). I'm on the 360.

I mapped Summon Ghouls to LB+A...and it won't seem to work.

How do I reconfigure my controls folks? What am I doing (have I done) wrong?

my game just crashed mid-cutscene on PC and when I restarted I magically appeared in the 2nd area. woulda liked to see the cutscene that brought me to the area. :(

Is it just me..or does normal seem a bit easy? I'm only like an hour in so I could restart...but I'm a bit worried that Apocalyptic might be too much of a jump. I suppose I could save it for NG+.
I'm getting the same sensation - even when mobbed I haven't feared for my life. New Game+ ups the difficulty right? Maybe I'll do a run at this level and then replay on a harder difficulty.

I love the hell out of this PoP style traversal, although I have had some cheap deaths doing some backwards jumps that otherwise seemed easy. Took me a while to figure out the trick but that kind of thing should have been telegraphed better. At least there doesn't seem to be much of any penalty in screwing up, which I don't mind one bit.

So I'm level three (game is great). I'm on the 360.

I mapped Summon Ghouls to LB+A...and it won't seem to work.

How do I reconfigure my controls folks? What am I doing (have I done) wrong?

You should be able to to reconfigure it with down on the d-pad select the power with the left analog stick.

You should be able to to reconfigure it with down on the d-pad select the power with the left analog stick.

Thank you sir.

I'm getting the same sensation - even when mobbed I haven't feared for my life. New Game+ ups the difficulty right? Maybe I'll do a run at this level and then replay on a harder difficulty.

I love the hell out of this PoP style traversal, although I have had some cheap deaths doing some backwards jumps that otherwise seemed easy. Took me a while to figure out the trick but that kind of thing should have been telegraphed better. At least there doesn't seem to be much of any penalty in screwing up, which I don't mind one bit.

I'm not what you call a twitch-gamer and even Apocalypse is not exactly a challenge (although I'm only two hours in)

ithorien

I'd be loving the game, except for the fact it's still somehow a thing not to include the option to invert both axis even though the first game has had that.

Not sure I can keep up with it, my brain just doesn't work that way. I kinda wish I went with PC instead of console.

This game is incredible. It is super easy, I am playing on hard. Nightmare mode should be no problem when you are maxed out.

I am in love with the exploration, there is hidden stuff everywhere. Entire dungeons just off to the side to find and explore. I will say if you dont like Zelda like dungeons this game probably drives you mad cause its literally dungeon after dungeon after dungeon. Fine by me! :)

In other news V-Sync is finally sticking, but now my framerate takes a dip at times. Close quarters its a pretty solid 60 but outside in the open lands I get 40-50 on average. Dual AMD Radeon 6950s here.

I have to say, I'm highly disappointed. Highly disappointed in my self for even doubting picking up Darksiders 2. So far I've made it to the second dungeon, and I'm having the most fun all year with this game. Everything has been phenomenal so far. Cant wait to see what is up ahead!

Einbroch

Banned
Been beating my head against a wall against a boss that is CLEARLY out of my league. He one-shots me and it takes me about 3 minutes to get him down 25%, and then he unleashes this tornado attack that I can't seem to dodge.

Does the camera seem much closer during combat in this game? I feel like it is so close I can't see the enemies around me, I don't remember it being that way in DS1.

This game is incredible. It is super easy, I am playing on hard. Nightmare mode should be no problem when you are maxed out.

I am in love with the exploration, there is hidden stuff everywhere. Entire dungeons just off to the side to find and explore. I will say if you dont like Zelda like dungeons this game probably drives you mad cause its literally dungeon after dungeon after dungeon. Fine by me! :)
Yea I love it, makes me feel like a kid again, just exploring and trying to figure out puzzles.

KevinCow

Banned
God damn this game is so good. It manages to be better than the sequel I had in my head. It basically irons out the kinks in the first one, makes everything bigger and better, and drops a whole new layer of awesome stuff on top of it all.

Game rocks.

IGN is wrong.

Enough said.

What did IGN say? I haven't been following this thread. Or anything on this game. Been on total blackout since E3. Afraid to watch any video reviews for fear of spoilers.

Does the camera seem much closer during combat in this game? I feel like it is so close I can't see the enemies around me, I don't remember it being that way in DS1.
Triggering focus mode usually helps things for me, but I'd rather some button I could press to teleport the camera back behind Death.

God damn this game is so good. It manages to be better than the sequel I had in my head. It basically irons out the kinks in the first one, makes everything bigger and better, and drops a whole new layer of awesome stuff on top of it all.
Its like they took the first game, opened it up Assassin's Creed 1 style and threw in Prince of Persia for good measure. Add in loots, and loots that devour other loots to become even better loots and you've basically got THE UBER GAME.

Derivative? Bah.

Superlative.

hitmon

Triggering focus mode usually helps things for me, but I'd rather some button I could press to teleport the camera back behind Death.

Its like they took the first game, opened it up Assassin's Creed 1 style and threw in Prince of Persia for good measure. Add in loots, and loots that devour other loots to become even better loots and you've basically got THE UBER GAME.

Derivative? Bah.

Superlative.

So would you say Darksiders 2 is vastly improved over the original like how Assassin's Creed 2 was vastly improved over Assassin's Creed 1?

tragic

Developer
Hey all. Got a laptop for a bit (though this hotel internet keeps disconnecting... wtf).

Just wanted to reply to a few things, but keep in mind that I'm still just the combat guy! That being said, I will help anywhere I can.

Definitely sucked to see some of you having issues and not being able to help right away. They've had me doing live-streams for different sites the last couple days so it's been tough finding some time (and tech that isn't my phone) to reply!

Anyway. The most obvious thing it seems is the config file. In every single build up until retail, our config file has been exposed. This means that every version Jay and Mat used had a clearly visible / editable config file available. This includes the demo PC I am typing on now (the one we used for our live streams). Neither Jay or Mat had any reason to believe that would change, however, it should have been confirmed if it was to remain that way. I don't know what can and can't be exposed (I'll have to talk to our tech guys in Thursday morning)... but I will definitely find out. The important thing to me here is that no one thinks that Jay or Mat tried to lie to get sales. Couldn't be further from the truth. We are all aware that the gaming public is extremely savvy to marketing speak and bs-detection... I mean, we've been on the other side of this equation many times ourselves (SWTOR launch, D3 launch, and numerous other games).

In regards to other technical issues, the team back at home is compiling feedback from every source and determining the best action both sooner and later. Since I'm not there until Thursday, and I'm also typically not in tech-related discussions, that's all I really know. What I DO know is that Vigil is absolutely committed to Darksiders 2.

On a lighter note!

Apocalypse difficulty does start out easier than you'd except, but it definitely becomes more challenging the further you get in. Speaking for myself, I didn't feel threatened on Apocalyptic until late into the end of Foundry, and that was only because I wasn't paying attention. However, The Dead Plains picks up and you'll definitely start encountering some unique challenges. It also really depends on your build. Some are VERY strong in Apocalyptic, and others are much trickier to play. Some people have issues on Normal difficulty due to certain fight configurations, certain builds, or just thinking different than others. Let me know how you all feel about Apocalyptic as you get further and further into the game.

Also, everyone at Vigil (and THQ) is super excited with the overwhelming feedback we've received in regards to the game. It's really inspiring to hear from someone who thought they wouldn't like the game and how they have changed their mind completely. Or how someone who expected it to be good was even more pleased. We know we can't please everyone, and we know there's still work to be done to please those that have been generously patient as well, but it's definitely a good feeling to know that so many players are having a great time.

Anyone up for the nightmare challenge?!

So would you say Darksiders 2 is vastly improved over the original like how Assassin's Creed 2 was vastly improved over Assassin's Creed 1?
The only connection I'd make to AC1 and AC2 is to say that Darksiders 2 feels like MORE. Its less linear (which isn't necessarily better in this case, only different) and rewards exploration. Combat feels so much better but also a lot easier, at least in the early going where I'm at in the game.

But I always missed how AC1 had these large overworld areas you'd move through with your horse, finding flags and camps and the like strewn about. Made a nice change of pace for the city going meat of the game. Darksiders 2 hits those same buttons, but with its own style. Lots of side dungeons, item specific areas, puzzly bits and platforming scattered with MMO like enemies wandering about aimlessly.

Played for about three hours on Apocalyptic. Just beat
the dungeon where you open the two floodgates and fight a giant beetle. Also got revenge on Gorewood for beating my ass when I was level 3 lol.
. Safe to say that this game makes me feel like I'm 10 years old and playing Ocarina of Time for the first time.

I have to ask though,
I've completed I think two main dungeons and neither had a dungeon item.
What's up with that?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

No that comparison doesn't fit. The game has similarities but all in all it' just straight up feels like something different, not a typical sequel you get these days.

How to put it...

ALttP -> OoT

Super Metroid -> Metroid Prime

Super Mario World -> Mario 64

The premise and basic combat philosophy is the same, everything else about the game? Different! Well maybe those examples are a little extreme but honestly this feels remotely nothing like the first game. I was just playing that a few days ago so it's not like my memory is cloudy

KevinCow

Banned

It's not quite that kind of turnaround. If you didn't enjoy the first, you probably still won't enjoy this one.

It's more like Star Wars to Empire Strikes Back. It's not gonna convert you if you didn't already like the first one. But if you did like the first one, you're gonna love this one.

That said, you should still buy it and make all your friends buy it because I want this game to be hugely successful so we can get Darksiders 3 (and 4 and 5).

Played for about three hours on Apocalyptic. Just beat
the dungeon where you open the two floodgates and fight a giant beetle. Also got revenge on Gorewood for beating my ass when I was level 3 lol.
. Safe to say that this game makes me feel like I'm 10 years old and playing Ocarina of Time for the first time.

I have to ask though,
I've completed I think two main dungeons and neither had a dungeon item.
What's up with that?

There seems to be only 4 items in this game, one of which is the gun, so I assume they are spread out.

That is a fair comparison. Flawed but promising initial outing that more than realizes its potential with part two (but I like DS2 more than AC2).

Duffyside

Banned
Definitely sucked to see some of you having issues and not being able to help right away. They've had me doing live-streams for different sites the last couple days so it's been tough finding some time (and tech that isn't my phone) to reply!

Anyway. The most obvious thing it seems is the config file. In every single build up until retail, our config file has been exposed. This means that every version Jay and Mat used had a clearly visible / editable config file available. This includes the demo PC I am typing on now (the one we used for our live streams). Neither Jay or Mat had any reason to believe that would change, however, it should have been confirmed if it was to remain that way. I don't know what can and can't be exposed (I'll have to talk to our tech guys in Thursday morning)... but I will definitely find out. The important thing to me here is that no one thinks that Jay or Mat tried to lie to get sales. Couldn't be further from the truth. We are all aware that the gaming public is extremely savvy to marketing speak and bs-detection... I mean, we've been on the other side of this equation many times ourselves (SWTOR launch, D3 launch, and numerous other games).

I will say that my only concern with the tearing and framerate was a demo on Gamespot a month or two back, which looked unplayably bad, and which either you or hdn swore had to be an issue with the capture equipment. What I've seen of streams and youtube clips (since I still don't have my copy (grrrrr)) has not even come close to approaching that level of crappiness, which was all I was worried about. If it performs at least as well as Darksiders 1 did on the PS3, I'm be good.

What did IGN say? I haven't been following this thread. Or anything on this game. Been on total blackout since E3. Afraid to watch any video reviews for fear of spoilers.

One of the complaints was that the game was too long. My response to that is shut the f*ck up. Not all of us have to rush through a game in 3 days to write a review. Some of us actually enjoy getting our money's worth. More idiotic complaints like the dialogue is trying too hard to be Lord of the Rings. Just stupid shit.

I will say that my only concern with the tearing and framerate was a demo on Gamespot a month or two back, which looked unplayably bad, and which either you or hdn swore had to be an issue with the capture equipment. What I've seen of streams and youtube clips (since I still don't have my copy (grrrrr)) has not even come close to approaching that level of crappiness, which was all I was worried about. If it performs at least as well as Darksiders 1 did on the PS3, I'm be good.

I got the PS3 version and it runs great imo. A bit of tearing when you're looking at something crazy but for the most part I'd say the framerate is 25-30FPS and tearing is mostly non-existent. Framerate seems a little better to me than DS1.

I must ask again. Where/how do I get the 2 bonuses for completing the first game? I never got any notification.

After you talk to the female blacksmith for the first time.

The IGN video review on YouTube has 455 Likes and 1,232 Dislikes. I'm glad to see that people realize that review was mostly bullshit.

Yeah, I remember during the IGN stream the one guy was saying to the guys at Virgil, "So I realized pretty quickly that this game is pretty hard." This game on normal really isn't that bad at all, at least in the beginning. I remember the first game being way more difficult at first.

One of the complaints was that the game was too long. My response to that is shut the f*ck up. Not all of us have to rush through a game in 3 days to write a review. Some of us actually enjoy getting our money's worth. More idiotic complaints like the dialogue is trying too hard to be Lord of the Rings. Just stupid shit.

Yeah, I hate the comments from reviews that a game is too long. I realize that they don't have to pay for their copies, but personally I like to get my moneys worth, and shit....this game is packed full of content.

tragic

Developer

I try to stay away from tech issues as it is definitely not my forte. I hope you get your copy soon and let us know what you think!

DonMigs85

I got the PS3 version and it runs great imo. A bit of tearing when you're looking at something crazy but for the most part I'd say the framerate is 25-30FPS and tearing is mostly non-existent. Framerate seems a little better to me than DS1.

After you talk to the female blacksmith for the first time.

She didn't give me anything. Do I have to finish the temple quest first?

fin

Just finished about 2 hours worth, got done the first dungeon. Really diggin it so far. Love the amount of content in here so far! The environments, combat, items, characters, the story just top notch. Can't wait to keep playing tomorrow.

2 minor grips for me so far. The lip syncing seems to have gotten worse since the first game. I just watched gamespots recap of the first game for a refresher, and the voice acting and lip syncing seemed really smooth in the first game. Maybe they switched to scripting the lipsyncing instead of hand animating them? Makes sense because there is probably a bunch more dialog in this game. Or maybe it's because my FPS is so high? They just seem kinda fast or something.

Second grip is the GUI, doesn't look like they scaled it to 1080p. The position of the GUI seems like it's still at 720p.

My framerate is rock solid, fraps says 100 - 150 fps (gtx 580). Going to try some inspector settings tomorrow. Not noticing too much tearing. Looks really sharp on my 55in TV. But still dated compared to things like BF3 and Crysis. Here's hoping for a iCEnhancer mod!

im in same spot. let me know if you figure it out~

It just ended up working when I restarted the game. Either that or I was deaf earlier...

Played a bunch more (360), still not seeing the tearing or framerate issues. Loving it. My biggest complaint so far is the fact that you can't use the dpad in menus. What the hell? That's just dumb. I also had an issue where I couldn't use my mapped maneuvers while fighting
Thane
. I assume there's a reason for that, because if I move away from him a few yards I can do the moves.

Anyway, 99.99 percent of my feedback on the game is positive. Great game so far.

Okay guys. I've been doing some research about Darksiders II. I really want this game, but I don't want the myriad of glitches it seems to come with. Forum talk has revealed a lot of horrible things to me, including falling through the floors, screen tearing, no textures, slowdown, freezes, and some gamebreaking happenings.

The last thing would kill me. I can't stand having to go all the way back and redo something just because the game wasn't properly tested.

I'm okay with a few problems, but if they are up to the extent described above I'm gonna have a heart attack.

Edit:On the PS3 versions. So, something that won't get fan-patched.

hitmon

It's not quite that kind of turnaround. If you didn't enjoy the first, you probably still won't enjoy this one.

It's more like Star Wars to Empire Strikes Back. It's not gonna convert you if you didn't already like the first one. But if you did like the first one, you're gonna love this one.

That said, you should still buy it and make all your friends buy it because I want this game to be hugely successful so we can get Darksiders 3 (and 4 and 5).

I actually already bought the game. Its sitting here sealed, but I'm a bit hesitant. I remember the first one, I thought it was ok, but it never captured my interest. Reading the positive feedback has me intrigued though.

I was so disappointed in AC1 that I almost never played AC2. I'm glad I did play AC2 since it blew me away. I'm wondering if Darksiders 2 would provide a similar improvement in the experience.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I think I'll sleep on it.

Peterthumpa

I try to stay away from tech issues as it is definitely not my forte. I hope you get your copy soon and let us know what you think!

As much as you're not so techy, could you say that although the game has no config file whatsoever right now on PC, the default config sets to maximum settings? I mean, bar resolution, are we playing the game on max, or the config files allows even more eye candy to be enabled?

So far it seems like Darksiders 1 but more

Much much more. Grander scale, better&speedier combat, fucking loot, more exploration. It's so much different than the first but it still has that Darksiders feel.

I'm loving it.

Only thing I miss is mark hammil, lol.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
100% GPU usage even with forced V-Sync?
What the hell, this game cant be that stressful on a GTX570 can it.

P.S Playing at 2560x1440?

Else so far so good....bought it for supports sake, but will jump on it once im done with Sleeping Dogs and Prototype 2.

sephi22

I don't know how you fuckers are doing it. Im getting owned in everything but the main questline in apocalyptic. All the side bosses are hard and i cant make it past the crucible wave 3.

Also, Tragic, how do I get the air move that you were doing on stream? The air rave ender where Death spins the scythes vertically downwards and they turn red. Thane didn't teach it.

Also, I might've figured out the "hidden" property of meteor strike.

Pressing the secondary attack button just as you touch the ground after a meteor strike does the just-time version od the secondary charge move instantly. For eg: charging an axe all the way does an attack where Death spins it and smashes it into the ground. However charging it till the charge circle goes away and just releasing it does a different attack that launches the opponent. So if you press R1 in the air for a meteor strike, then press triangle just as you touch the ground, death will instantly do the latter attack.

Also the recovery of the meteor strike is attack and dash cancellable but i dont think thats what tragic was hinting at

Salsa

Why is it that everything is faster than running normally?

There has to be some sort of speed upgrade.

feared this from the previews. Feels like one of those games where you just roll everywhere constantly cause it's faster, and in return its just annoying and looks silly. The Zelda syndrome

Top Bottom