• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Thrakier

What do you mean?

You can still play DS2 perfectly fine and still be in the know, but I'm saying that some character names and other minor references may fly past you. And there are still Zelda elements within the game.

I meant that every zelda game is a story in itself, which is not connected. Sure, there is some fan service and references, but you'd always be fine with every Zelda you play. Don't feel like playing the first Darksiders now.

I meant that every zelda game is a story in itself, which is not connected. Sure, there is some fan service and references, but you'd always be fine with every Zelda you play. Don't feel like playing the first Darksiders now.

This game isn't even a direct sequel - they are events that are happening at the same time in a parallel universe, so it's more of Death's story than anything else.

Dahbomb

I put in 3 hours with the game. I have a fairly meh PC IMO but its running great on my set up. Frame rates have been stable and no prominent screen tearing to speak of but I am not that sensitive to tearing (I am to frame drops though). Game looks gorgeous IMO but I am not a graphics guy so whatever.

The sound and especially the music is phenomenal... totally took me by surprise.

Combat is quicker and more fluid than the original. I already have ideas in my head of what to do next combat wise. Playing on Apoc, not too bad personally but I highly suggest remapping the dodge button to something that is more accessible.

I feel really sorry for all the people who are unable to enjoy the game due to technical issues.... This game is just insanely good. Its a better a sequel to Darksiders than I could've dreamed of.

Momentary

Banned
Still having trouble getting this thing to run optimally on my gtx 570. Either I have to live with the screen tearing, or turn on vsync and suffer through framerate dips. Blargh...

Try using D3Doverrider. I'm using it on my laptop and it's running a gtx560m and it's smooth. Though I have to play at 720p for 60fps.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it possible to upgrade your potion carrying capacity? I just broke a dozen ceramic jars and there are a few potions lying around that I'd rather save for later than leave to expire.

Game's getting advertised a lot on TV here in the UK. I think I've already seen 3/4 ads for it the past few days and it isn't out till next Tuesday here.

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm having an issue with
Thane's followup question with all the bosses
(quest name) , I show up at their location but they're all invisible/transparent with a black outline and I just stand there and I can't fight them, anybody knows what the issue is?

DieH@rd

Banned
Is it possible to upgrade your potion carrying capacity? I just broke a dozen ceramic jars and there are a few potions lying around that I'd rather save for later than leave to expire.

Devs mentioned that 5 potions is sweetspot. During development they tried with 10, but that made game way to easy.

sephi22

Bucklers are pretty damn awesome as secondaries. Dem guard counters.
How the hell do you use that counter?
I hold the button and i get whacked

Also, what skills is everyone using? I think we should start talking about builds.

Im using max teleport slash and max shield, with a few skills that help both.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Also, what skills is everyone using? I think we should start talking about builds.

Maxed out zombies ;)

Also finally maxed out a pair of possessed claws. SOOO FUCKING GOOD

Ghost23

So I'm about an hour and a half in on normal. I kind of want to change to Apocalyptic, but then I won't get any achievements for playing the harder difficulty unless I completely start over. Will normal get decently hard after the first few dungeons?

Ezio

Played for about 40 minutes last night. Game is awesome and the landscape is beautiful. IGN was way wrong, no tearing so far for me either (360 version). Can't wait for the weekend so I can get some solid time to play this.

how do you do that charge where he launches with the axe?? i can only do it after meteor strike.

For some reason my possessed weapons won't pick up health on crit

Third sacrifice now and it's not working. Would have had a badass scythe with 15% crit chance, wrath on crit and health on crit but it won't work :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
For some reason my possessed weapons won't pick up health on crit

Third sacrifice now and it's not working. Would have had a badass scythe with 15% crit chance, wrath on crit and health on crit but it won't work :(

Maybe the two on crit skills dont stack? Elements dont

pyros

Just loaded my steam copy of darksider 2, in the beginning cut scene and game itself, death appears transparent and only the outline can be seen, any one have the same problem

george_us

5 hours in and I'm finding the tearing/framerate complaints to be WAY overblown. This isn't nearly as bad as something like Dragon's Dogma and, on the rare occasion I get screen tearing, I can barely see it.

Daante

For EU ppl that has pre-paid this trough Steam, and dont want to wait until August 21 (like me)

- Use a free trail VPN, (i used Hotspot Shield).
- Launch Steam with it enabled, and Steam should download the remaining of the game, showing it is 100% and ready to play.
- Uninstall Hotspot Shield (optional i guess), go in steam settings and turn on offline mode.
- Relaunch steam in offline mode and play the game

Game ran flawless the little i have been able to test for me on a radeon 7850 and 3570k.
In CCC i enabled "Enhance application" witch seemed to work much better compared to "override application settings" where i got problems.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I get a Solu Reaver vibe from those screens which is great. Can you play DSII without having played DSI?
Honestly, the game really feels a lot more like a Soul Reaver game than the previous title and it's excellent.

REALLY not feeling this so far, it reminds me of kingdoms of amalur. I like the world a lot better than amalur but it has that same "ho-hum" derivative gameplay feel.
Really? Hmm...

The demo of Amalur was a complete snooze and I couldn't push through it fast enough.

Dascu

For EU ppl that has pre-paid this trough Steam, and dont want to wait until August 21 (like me)

- Use a free trail VPN, (i used Hotspot Shield).
- Launch Steam with it enabled, and Steam should download the remaining of the game, showing it is 100% and ready to play.
- Uninstall Hotspot Shield, go in steam settings and turn on offline mode.
- Relaunch steam in offline mode and play the game

I did it differently:
- Quit Steam, download and install this: http://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial and connect to a USA server.
- Start up Steam and finish the download and installation procedure.
- Quit Steam and turn off the VPN.
- Start up Steam and play it.

Haven't had to do anything with offline mode. Runs perfectly fine, other than that my achievements don't show up in my profile/"My History" tab (they do register though).

Daante

I did it differently:
Haven't had to do anything with offline mode. Runs perfectly fine, other than that my achievements don't show up in my profile/"My History" tab (they do register though).

Ah cool , il play it in online mode then tonight :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
5 hours in and I'm finding the tearing/framerate complaints to be WAY overblown. This isn't nearly as bad as something like Dragon's Dogman and, on the rare occasion I get screen tearing, I can barely see it.

You should know by now how dramatic people can get :p

Gbraga

I put in 3 hours with the game. I have a fairly meh PC IMO but its running great on my set up. Frame rates have been stable and no prominent screen tearing to speak of but I am not that sensitive to tearing (I am to frame drops though). Game looks gorgeous IMO but I am not a graphics guy so whatever.

The sound and especially the music is phenomenal... totally took me by surprise.

Combat is quicker and more fluid than the original. I already have ideas in my head of what to do next combat wise. Playing on Apoc, not too bad personally but I highly suggest remapping the dodge button to something that is more accessible.

I feel really sorry for all the people who are unable to enjoy the game due to technical issues.... This game is just insanely good. Its a better a sequel to Darksiders than I could've dreamed of.

What's your PC?

If it's as meh as mine I'll be glad lol

solarus

I did it differently:
- Quit Steam, download and install this: http://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial and connect to a USA server.

Oh cool, I have been playing through vpn constantly because I noticed that I couldn't view achievements on my profile otherwise so I thought they wouldn't register. This is good news.

GJS

I did it differently:

You don't even need to keep the vpn on that long.

I used flyvpn to get the decrypt file and then closed the vpn client whilst steam was doing the final parts of the install/unlock.

Haven't had any problems.

I really liked Darksiders 1 - how does the second iteration compare to it? I would be fine/happy with the same stuff but just a lot more of it. Don't want to watch too much trailers and stuff to spoil my experience of the (at least in my eyes) PS3 "Zelda".

Dascu

I really liked Darksiders 1 - how does the second iteration compare to it? I would be fine/happy with the same stuff but just a lot more of it. Don't want to watch too much trailers and stuff to spoil my experience of the (at least in my eyes) PS3 "Zelda".
They should've called this one Super Darksiders. It's bigger, better, more beautiful and all the while without losing focus.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Dungeons are still very very puzzle based

Combat doesn't have a solid flow to it anymore and is now hyper paced. This isn't a bad thing and this makes Death and War play completely different from each other.

There is still a main story path but there are side quest and each zone is huge ass region with multiple dungeons

You now have Loot in the form of main hand/ offhands / shoulder/ pants / gloves/ boots/ trinket

Possessed weapons let you fuse other items into it to gain their stats and power up.

You now Level up and have stat growth and talent points. Harbinger talent tree benefits from strength Necromancer benefits from Arcane.

RE: The unlockables from beating the original Darksiders, I thought I read online that these are obtained from Muria in Tri-Stone and based off your achievements for beating/starting Darksiders, but I don't see that she has anything yet. I no longer have the save files (HDD crash), so I would need the save file and achievement for them to unlock? Bummer!

Li Kao

Mmh being in PAL land I'm beginning to wonder about using the vpn solution.
2-3 days is the usual shitty latency between zones but a week seems a bit high to me. Nothing unbearable, I can wait but we are talking about the first big release of the 'new season' after all. And that's not like I want to buy the game in dollars, I will gently pay my valve euro tax.

Knowing that, do you think there is a possibility of ban ? I wouldn't want to lose my account for a game.

DieH@rd

Banned
Oh man, i just got 2 possessed weapons [of my own level] in one area!

Collectibles reward after
finding all 10 Book of the Dead pages in Makers Realm. All of the pages are located on the "campaign" path.

dan2026

Can anyone give me more info on 360 version frame-rate.

The Giantbombcast said there are some pretty significant problems.

Got me kind of worried.

derwalde

is it normal that the retail installation takes like forever? steam is "preparing darksider 2 files for install" for about 20mins now...

Top Bottom