• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So would coffee on a Friday or Saturday evening be weird for a first date? I've done that on week days and during the day on weekends before... I have an option for a Wednesday night too.. I almost feel like suggesting to grab a beer, but I hate how loud bars can get....

It's fine.

Could always look up quiet bars around the area.

Zakalwe

Banned
Shocker, most of the times when someone breaks up with a person they already got someone else in mind to replace

This kind of statement makes me feel a little sad for some of you. If you're walking around with ideas like this in your brain, this dating game is going to be a lot harder.

That's harsh lmao

It's true, the dudes list of girlfriends is pretty insane if you take his music at face value (which you shouldn't lolol). His list of real girlfriends is impressive. On it he has Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and apparently now T Swift. We aint got shit on that bruh. The boy got game.

This kind of statement makes me feel a little sad for some of you. If you're walking around with ideas like this in your brain, this dating game is going to be a lot harder.

It's about being realistic

I've been on dates to wine bars and such that were a bit classier and quieter. How about that? You can talk and look like a sophisticated mother fucker.

Wine bars remain the best date spots. Quieter and more intimate than bars, but also casual enough so it doesn't seem forced like a dinner

Nudull

Banned
So, the latest date I met over OKC just messaged me again in the middle of the night, just as I was moving on to other things, and...well...

Red Flag #1: Goes from being excited about meeting up and dating me, to "keeping things open" and wanting to be friends first, then goes right back to date talk, then talks about not being a fan of casual dating in general and how it usually takes months/years on end before they truly feel they want to be in a relationship, to...

Red Flag #2: Talks about their last relationship, where the date and their ex decided that they were better off as friends. Immediately after, talks about how painful it is to be just friends with the ex and loves every moment that they're around.

Look, I like to get to know people and forming new relationships, and I definitely understand people who want to take things slow. On the other hand, I'd rather not have this become Cordy 2: The Nudulling.

My ex got upset that after a year I finally updated on Facebook we were together, and she kept saying it was because of privacy but then we broke up a few months after and within those past few months she was acting strange. Well two months after breaking up finding out she's been talking to a guy before we broke up. We'll that figures. Anyways no girl updates I feel like I'm just not attractive or something is wrong with me. Even though I'm 20 and have placement quite a bit I was atleast expecting to talk to girls more frequently but nope. Life is a struggle right now, just super down and depressed while my other friends are all talking to girls. I actually hate being single it's the worst feeling and I'm not going to jump into a relationship for the sake of it but I wish things would work in my favor.
You're worth more than this, and a breakup doesn't mean you're suddenly not attractive anymore. You got with the girl, she must have found you attractive. You just need to get back on the horse. She's the one who cheated on you, don't doubt your self worth over her actions. So what if others are talking to girls? Girls aren't life. Everyone breaks up, even marriages end quite a bit. Things won't suddenly work in your favour, you have to make the effort to be attractive. Good clothes, air of confidence, good posture (bad posture is linked to depression), and get some therapy if needed. Work on yourself before getting into a new relationship, this stuff is not the end all of life.

Also, you're very young! Got lots of time. Keep on working to a career.

vern

nah, like pushing weight. non user

Just stack as much paper as you can, then leave the game for good.

Move to a new country, maybe Costa Rica, buy a cheap house on the beach and retire with a sweet Latina. Don't focus on getting a nice lady while you are knee deep in the game son. Girl will just complicate things and you'll get you caught up. Prison has no women. Suffer a bit now while you slang, reap the rewards in a few years.

Scotch

So, the latest date I met over OKC just messaged me again in the middle of the night, just as I was moving on to other things, and...well...

Red Flag #1: Goes from being excited about meeting up and dating me, to "keeping things open" and wanting to be friends first, then goes right back to date talk, then talks about not being a fan of casual dating in general and how it usually takes months/years on end before they truly feel they want to be in a relationship, to...

Red Flag #2: Talks about their last relationship, where the date and their ex decided that they were better off as friends. Immediately after, talks about how painful it is to be just friends with the ex and loves every moment that they're around.

Look, I like to get to know people and forming new relationships, and I definitely understand people who want to take things slow. On the other hand, I'd rather not have this become Cordy 2: The Nudulling.
You were moving on to other things, so.. continue doing that? If a message from her in the middle of the night gets you all confused again, block her.

Nudull

Banned
You were moving on to other things, so.. continue doing that? If a message from her in the middle of the night gets you all confused again, block her.

Yeah, it was some hilariously confusing shit. Thought I'd share, but I'm moving the hell on. :p

gaiages

Banned
Times have changed completely.

When it comes to posting relationship statuses on Facebook, do you all think it's tacky at all?

Lots of people do it, but I find it really corny to do so. It's also funny when people end relationships on Facebook because people swamp the update with "What happened?"

Just asking because the girl I'm involved with is really into Facebook and posting photos and statuses about what she's doing.

I updated my status, my bf didn't. Meh, it's whatever. It was easier for me to update my status and let my family know all at once (they live out of state) than texting people one at a time.

Then again, I'm not the biggest user of FB. I use it for 4 things:
- messenging my family every once and a while
- reposting overused memes
- photo collection
- finding shit to do in events

I update mine too. Not for attention, more so dudes stop hitting on me. Definitely cuts it down anyhow having it.

Speaking of, the metalhead and I will probably change ours sometime soon. Things are going really well :)

Yay, congrats!

Dating-Gaf has become Godzilla. We have a hunger for Japanese girls and terrible grammar.

Hahahahahahahha

It's about being realistic

Having an attitude of "people only break up when they have a back up" is needlessly negative and frankly a shitty mindset to have. Also factually false.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
It's fine.

Could always look up quiet bars around the area.

This. One of my favorite breweries here in AZ has a small bar area attached, but its nice and quiet with most people hanging out enjoying some beers and even board games the place has, definitely coffee-shop esque. See if your area has anything like that?

Having an attitude of "people only break up when they have a back up" is needlessly negative and frankly a shitty mindset to have. Also factually false.

Didn't say it happens 100% of the time there is a breakup but it happens more often than not, if you chose to believe everyone is always 100% faithful at all times and they never look at other potential partners then that's a naive view I chose to not buy into

Xun

Bar on a first date > coffee date

Perhaps I'm too reliant on alcohol, but I find it easier to open up and be myself. Likewise I feel for the date.

Bar on a first date > coffee date

Perhaps I'm too reliant on alcohol, but I find it easier to open up and be myself. Likewise I feel for the date.

Coffee for a first date is very restrictive, daytime, people listening in on the conversation and obviously not exactly easy to make a move

I had the most amazing first date on sunday morning.

I was trying to plan a date with this girl and she was busy saturday night, she jokingly threw out she needed to go to IKEA on sunday morning.

I love a good adventure i took her joke seriously and got her to go along with it. She picked me up from a local coffee shop and we talked the whole half hour ride there and decided to do the full walkthrough. Just letting any topic come up and inspiration of the random shit from ikea. We were able to keep pushing a strings of jokes for as long as we could. Kind of ribbing each other and fake acting a like a couple. The conversation never died.

We packed the car and then got brunch. Before brunch we had to wait a little bit so we went to the nearest bookstore and i asked what she had read lately. She mentions this super feminist book "all the single ladies" which is a book i actually read 2 months ago to keep up on my female lit. This kind of blew her mind and started a whole new conversation about being single and living in the city.

She came back to see my dog and and drop off the stuff i bought and we made out a little bit.

i am seeing her again tonight to people watch the halloween festivities.

i just need to keep my expectations in check, but she has already texted me "i like you even more now" and " kissing you really turned me on"

im pretty fucking excited.

Irnbru

Man, cutting things off is the hardest thing for me :/. The more I get to know this girl the more I know she's not for me. Even though she's sweet, nerdy, just everything a guy could ask for. There's no fire, no give and take. Just all praise irnbru. Dating older than me is freaking weird guys. All last three people I've dated once I moved to older than me (27) have all wanted to latch onto me harder than a lamprey. Can't deal with it lol.

Dude sounds like you've got a good thing going.

People always joke about running errands being bad for dates but I like getting to see that casual side of people.

I remember one of the best nights I've had was when I was dating a girl and she got a new table for her bedroom but didn't know how to put it together.

I brought some pizza over and we built the table and took things to the bedroom after it was set up.

Man, cutting things off is the hardest thing for me :/. The more I get to know this girl the more I know she's not for me. Even though she's sweet, nerdy, just everything a guy could ask for. There's no fire, no give and take. Just all praise irnbru. Dating older than me is freaking weird guys. All last three people I've dated once I moved to older than me (27) have all wanted to latch onto me harder than a lamprey. Can't deal with it lol.

Are you not looking for that kind of commitment at the moment and it just keeps coming up? Are you the one doing the giving, or are you doing the taking?

Gotta be up front with what you're comfortable with so you don't end up hitting that awkward wall.

That's what happened with the last girl I asked out, she says she's into me but she has things to work out so she didn't want to do any serious dating until she feels ready.

We've had some one on one outings since then and it's fun getting to know her, but I wish I wasn't as attached as I am. I've been lazy looking for dates and she's been asking me to hang out so I've just gone with it.

We did kiss for a bit after a Halloween party so I'm going to have to see where she really sees this going in the future. I'd even be down for friends with benefits but I hate the figuring it out phase.

Exokell

Banned
I had the most amazing first date on sunday morning.

I was trying to plan a date with this girl and she was busy saturday night, she jokingly threw out she needed to go to IKEA on sunday morning.

I love a good adventure i took her joke seriously and got her to go along with it. She picked me up from a local coffee shop and we talked the whole half hour ride there and decided to do the full walkthrough. Just letting any topic come up and inspiration of the random shit from ikea. We were able to keep pushing a strings of jokes for as long as we could. Kind of ribbing each other and fake acting a like a couple. The conversation never died.

We packed the car and then got brunch. Before brunch we had to wait a little bit so we went to the nearest bookstore and i asked what she had read lately. She mentions this super feminist book "all the single ladies" which is a book i actually read 2 months ago to keep up on my female lit. This kind of blew her mind and started a whole new conversation about being single and living in the city.

She came back to see my dog and and drop off the stuff i bought and we made out a little bit.

i am seeing her again tonight to people watch the halloween festivities.

i just need to keep my expectations in check, but she has already texted me "i like you even more now" and " kissing you really turned me on"

you didn't fuck her?

you didn't fuck her?

My dog is an adorable corgi but he is also super jealous and a cock block and started barking and jumping all over us when we started to kiss. Plus this would have been a first date, middle of the day sex.

She also had to go take care of her friends dog she was dog sitting.

No we didnt fuck.

Exokell

Banned
My dog is an adorable corgi but he is also super jealous and a cock block and started barking and jumping all over us when we started to kiss. Plus this would have been a first date, middle of the day sex.

She also had to go take care of her friends dog she was dog sitting.

No we didnt fuck.
Always make a move bro, if she denies you so freaking what. But she was obviously so into you, she even texted you that she was turned on when you guys kissed which means "we should've fucked".

Always make a move bro, if she denies you so freaking what. But she was obviously so into you, she even texted you that she was turned on when you guys kissed which means "we should've fucked".

Maybe I move a little slow, but I've rarely fucked anyone on the first date.

Jokab

So do it on the second date, or third even. It's not a big deal. If she really wants to date longer term she won't be discouraged just because they didn't have sex in the first or second date.

I am seeing her tonight anyway. We knew we wanted to make plans to see each other again. Its nice to have some sexual tension with someone and stew on it for a bit. Tonight could be quite fun though.

This here is a classic example of assuming shit based off of a few texts.

W/e she said or however he feels it went it is still just 1 date. You can't read committment from one text and one date. "I'm turned on" after the fact doesnt imply she wanted to have sex. It doesn't imply anything.

Literally 0 to 100.

Nah man, sorry but I don't agree lol. If I legitimately care about the person, I won't be doing this on the first date. Your end goal is to see each other again, so you can do it next time. Why rush?

Salamando

Girl might've been more turned on by the fact that they didn't have sex and he didn't push for it. Teasing is a very powerful force.

Once turned down a girl for sex. If texting is any indication, her interest in me grew tenfold.

M52B28

Banned
I always get an interesting response when I tell women my age.

Sitting around the studio talking to this woman I've known for a year or so with a few others that were in a class, we started talking about movies we've seen. I mentioned how young I was when The Butterfly Effect came out. One of the women who is 36 asked me how old I was when I watched it, and when I told her I'm 21, she laughed out and said I'm still a baby.

The woman I was originally talking to made a face like "Oh shit, he's young." then mentioned how she thought I was in my mid to late twenties. I'm not gonna lie, she's hot with a nice body , 24, and trying to get shit together for college, so I was thinking I would just ask her out, get some drinks and smoke out since she smokes weed from time to time.

I was just chilling out and I laughed with them, but I noticed that a lot of women think that I am older than I really am. I mean, I'm not saying anything because I like women who are a few years older than me, but I always seem to get a weird reaction. Most of the women that I've been associating myself with are older than me by some degree.

Does anyone here experience this, or have experienced this? I think it's funny, but at the same time, I'm wondering why they assume that I'm older than I actually am.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have the opposite experience. I'm older, but have a baby face so women(/people) think I'm much younger than I really am.

I have the opposite experience. I'm older, but have a baby face so women(/people) think I'm much younger than I really am.

That's my experience. It was actually affecting me professionally, because I'm at a rather senior position/grade and I'm basically the youngest person there.

So, now that I'm finally off military orders, I've grown a trimmed beard. The reaction has been uniformly positive.

M52B28

Banned
I remember making a drunk thread on how a girl my age insulted me by calling me a grandpa. I guess you can say I dress like a casual dad that doesn't try too hard to impress. I mean, I listen to NPR, love PBS and read 300 page books for fun as well.

It does make me wonder if women have kept their distance after finding out my age. It would suck if that were the case.

So, now that I'm finally off military orders, I've grown a trimmed beard. The reaction has been uniformly positive.

I grew a beard late 2014, while I still have some issues with the mustache bridge coming in it makes me look more my age for sure.

Coming back from the NaNo party. Asked out a cute girl and got her number. We'll see how things go. :)

Nice!

It does make me wonder if women have kept their distance after finding out my age. It would suck if that were the case.

If someone does distance themselves due to age, it wasn't gonna work. You'll find someone who calls you daddy in time!

So, I hung out with that gal again and no chemistry at all today.

I was cooking for the group so I was bossing people around but I kept it light-hearted despite not wanting to fuck it up. It turned out great so at least I have that.

I figured after the Halloween party where she was more flirty and we kissed that she might be warming up but after tonight I doubt it. Gonna hold the L and move on.

Nudull

Banned
I remember making a drunk thread on how a girl my age insulted me by calling me a grandpa. I guess you can say I dress like a casual dad that doesn't try too hard to impress. I mean, I listen to NPR, love PBS and read 300 page books for fun as well.

I have a similar problem. My dates tend to be older than I am, but anyone around the same age tend to tune out or just not mesh with me as well. People often chalk this up to me acting more mature/"adult" then most folks around my own generation.

Things are going pretty well for me so far. Matched with a girl on Tinder, texted for a few days, we had a date Saturday, it went better than I could've imagined. We've both said how weird but nice it all seems because it really feels like I'm talking to someone I've known for years. We both want the exact same thing out of a relationship and we have very similar views on the pace for dating which is awesome. She's got classes tomorrow but we're gonna try to get dinner together afterward.

My only problem right now is that since this is going exponentially better than previous situations, I'm much more worried about screwing up. I told her that and she said it's really sweet how much I care about this and not to worry about messing things up. While it's reassuring hearing that from her, I can't help but feel like something's gonna go wrong because it always seems to. Like I don't feel like I'm gonna self-sabotage this by any means, but I just feel really wary. I'm cautiously optimistic.

That's my experience. It was actually affecting me professionally, because I'm at a rather senior position/grade and I'm basically the youngest person there.

Time for a new avatar

john-wick-image-keanu-reeves.jpg

Me too. I love it!

People do tell me I move too fast, half my dates I've done it on the first date. I have a different mind set I guess.

Are you the slanging dope guy?

I've been reading around about how to pick up women's signals better.

One of the statements which keeps coming up is "if you think she likes you, she most likely does". Do people here mostly agree with that?

The new girl at work seems to like me, I definitely like her, but I'm not sure if it's because we are working on a project together and she is just being friendly.

I was in a different office today and she asked me a pretty rudimentary work question via email which others around her could have answered. I said I'd go over it with her when I get back to the office if she wasn't in a rush. Her reply was that she just wanted to send an email before she forgot to ask me when I was back.

A work relationship with someone I work closely with, is younger (5 years), and new to the company? Yay or nay? I'm on the verge of asking her out for a drink, but if there's rejection, it could be awkward.

Machina

Banned

One of the statements which keeps coming up is "if you think she likes you, she most likely does". Do people here mostly agree with that?

The new girl at work seems to like me, I definitely like her, but I'm not sure if it's because we are working on a project together and she is just being friendly.

I was in a different office today and she asked me a pretty rudimentary work question via email which others around her could have answered. I said I'd go over it with her when I get back to the office if she wasn't in a rush. Her reply was that she just wanted to send an email before she forgot to ask me when I was back.

A work relationship with someone I work closely with, is younger (5 years), and new to the company? Yay or nay? I'm on the verge of asking her out for a drink, but if there's rejection, it could be awkward.

That's exactly why I won't ask my girl out bro. Just a sad caveat of dating within the workplace. Even just asking can lead to major awkward in the event of rejection

I've asked out a couple of girls at work with mixed results. I wouldn't ask someone who works in the same project. That could go really badly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom