• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Creative Director Blames Bugs, Reviewers Not Bothering to Play and "Woke" Reviewers For Lack of Better Reception

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Agree with how the game was unjustly attacked for having a white male protagonist and a biker wedding scene (without doing any research on that topic and realizing it's "real"). Some reviewers were blind to the fact that the game also featured stuff like diverse characters (including minority female bikers) and just went in with the pitchforks.

As for the bugs and poor performance, the game should've definitely been released in better state. You can only do a good first impression once and not many people cared that the state of the game has greatly improved (on the PS4).

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The game was one of the cringiest written games I've ever played, it was full of bugs, and it had atrocious pacing. It absolutely earned it's low 70s MC average.

He sounds like a whiny little baby blaming it on "wokeness" and claiming that reviewers didn't actual play the game.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
PMHd8Nw.jpg

Perfect reception. All the "woke-anti-woke" shit was just from some reviewers and the Twatter madhouse.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He is right on all three accounts. I remember the director on Jaffe's show saying that they had data on what reviewers played and some didnt even play through 30% of the game.

The gamespot reviewer was absolutely awful. She spent almost the entire review talking about the story instead of the gameplay.

And yes, Sony shipped the game too early. I hated how ND, GG, PD and SSM are allowed to delay the game over and over again but a 100 team studio like Bend wasnt afforded a short delay.

Hugare

I think he is right.

Anyone I know who played it ended up enjoying it, its just a game but there was a lot of strange "woke" convo around it.

I still need to play it. Just bought it on steam to play on my Deck and PC.
Not me

God knows that I've tried. I've downloaded the game 5 times, I think.

Don't know about the rest of the game, but the first 5 hours or so were sooo painfully boring with terrible pacing and mechanics that I just couldnt finish playing it

Deadly Premonition is one of my favorite games, so its not like I dont have tolerance for slow paced, full of junk games.

And Callisto Protocol, the game that gaming media is tearing to pieces nowadays, was probably gonna be my GOTY if Elden Ring wasnt released this year.

The MC is totally justifiable. This guy has to move on. Seems like he complains about "woke media" fucking Days Gone every week or so.

If not for one or two reviewers complaining about the white protagonist or whatever, all the others were justified.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

To put icing on the factual cake, the reviewers that complained about the protagonist would know the game was pretty damned "progressive and accepting" for a biker gang stereotype. They stuck out like a sore thumb, but did not detract from the overall experience.

I played it LTTP fully patched up and on the PS5. It looked and played great, and probably my top 3 now out of that gen's games. The gameplay beats were fun as hell, and the horde moments got the adrenaline going. Been a long time in gaming since I felt that with a game.

Last edited:
Nathan Drakes not white? news to me.
Oh you mean Uncharted 4 where him and his brother get beat up by a strong, female POC villain. Where he loses utterly at the end and the villain is made to the sensible person, gets away unscathed (first Uncharted villain to go undefeated, btw) and appears in the Uncharted game after Uncharted 4? Where a sequel is setup where he is replaced by his daughter?

Not quite the same I would say.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The game was a dud, Face it Sony fans, This was the ONLY 1st party ball drop from last gen.
PC Metacritic - 76 | 47 reviews
PS4 Metacritic - 71 | 109 reviews

If you were paying attention, then you would know that many reviewers gave this game a low score because of bugs. Not only that, many female journalists complained about the dialog between Deacon and his wife.

tmlDan

Oh you mean Uncharted 4 where him and his brother get beat up by a strong, female POC villain. Where he loses utterly at the end and the villain is made to the sensible person, gets away unscathed (first Uncharted villain to go undefeated, btw) and appears in the Uncharted game after Uncharted 4? Where a sequel is setup where he is replaced by his daughter?

Not quite the same I would say.
Ah yes, the semantics coming from people like you.

Stop being so insecure, maybe travel? go to other countries? You don't have to be so fragile.

Nothing is "woke" about uncharted, it only is if you're dumb enough to make it up in your own head. She is a paramilitary soldier with a ton of money going against an untrained orphan, i'd like to see you face a UFC fighter.

Ah yes, the semantics coming from people like you.

Stop being so insecure, maybe travel? go to other countries? You don't have to be so fragile.

Nothing is "woke" about uncharted, it only is if you're dumb enough to make it up in your own head. She is a paramilitary soldier with a ton of money going against an untrained orphan, i'd like to see you face a UFC fighter.
Either address my points or stfu and stop projecting.

JCK75

I purchased it on Steam last week during the sale as the price was too good to pass up and I want more console titles to run through on my deck..
but what stopped me from getting it when I had a PS4 and now a PS5 was that.. it just didn't look fun.
when they showed it off it was just a dude with nearly unlimited ammo just mowing down zombies like they were nothing..

Aenima

Thas probably why i enjoyed the game so much. I played it 1 year later when most of the performance issues and bugs was fixed, and i was not expecting much from the game, based on reviews, and then my experience was much better than what i was expecting.

The game is good but not something mindblowing. The hordes and how the weather (snow) changed the map in real time was the most impressive stuff. I also had fun upgrading and costumizing my bike. Solid 8/10.

NickFire

Since they don’t seem to think a sequel is worthwhile yet, Sony should do a test run of a sequel by porting the 60 FPS first game console version to Series S/X. I played it recently on PS5 and loved it. It holds up really well with the 60 fps boost. I bet the reception it would get would open their minds to a sequel. It’s not like they’d be losing any significant console sales for a game they seem to have no future interest in.

theHFIC

I enjoyed 70-80% of the game when I played it but let's be honest: it was a pretty generic open world zombie game. It looked nice, but in the Playstation 4 Sony Studios realm, an Unreal engine based game looks out of place compared to the ICE based stunners.

Also bikers are inherently morons and biker culture is stupid as hell (let's wear some patches and ride around on the most obnoxiously loud machines as possible) so to try to world build a whole universe on a foundation of idiots is not exactly a recipe for success.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Now he's throwing his old development team under the bus:

Real winner, this guy. Blaming everyone but himself.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The game was pretty good, but the writing and narrative drive had issues. After spending many hours tracking down his wife's whereabouts and uncovering their detailed backstory, (minor mid-game spoilers) Deacon and his wife finally reunite. But she doesn't care at all that he's alive. They then put Deacon through endless demeaning encounters with her while she berates him and he acts like a doormat. He continues chasing her and sacrifices everything at every turn to try to get her to pay attention to him again.

No doubt this is how interpersonal relationships work for people in the gaming industry, but it didn't exactly fit for this tough as nails post-apocalyptic biker.

It was reminiscent of AC: Origins, where Bayek acts more like his wife's OnlyFans subscriber than her husband.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Now he's throwing his old development team under the bus:

Real winner, this guy. Blaming everyone but himself.

Well, if it was the coders, bug, and performance that was the issue, and everything they designed never changed... then yeah, it falls on the technical side of the team. However, designers are more expendable than even mediocre coders with experience.

Sony marketing did it no favors releasing the unpatched version to reviewers. Seems quite clear to me they had little faith in it to begin with and the overlap with TLOU was going to overshadow all of its redeeming qualities.

I do agree with the third bullet point. I remember reviewers slamming the wedding scene where Sarah's "Ride me as much as you ride your bike" line was panned, but the writing weaknesses are found elsewhere, not in the dialogue and interaction between Deacon and Sarah (but c'mon, they used the same name as Joel's daughter from TLOU? Bend didn't do themselves any favors).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Critics at major gaming sites lost their shit over that one line about him riding his girlfriend like a bike. lol

This 180 by Greg Miller still cracks me up

Wow, this is gold...Maybe he will do the same about god of war ragnarok in a few months?

Not me

God knows that I've tried. I've downloaded the game 5 times, I think.

Don't know about the rest of the game, but the first 5 hours or so were sooo painfully boring with terrible pacing and mechanics that I just couldnt finish playing it

Deadly Premonition is one of my favorite games, so its not like I dont have tolerance for slow paced, full of junk games.

And Callisto Protocol, the game that gaming media is tearing to pieces nowadays, was probably gonna be my GOTY if Elden Ring wasnt released this year.

The MC is totally justifiable. This guy has to move on. Seems like he complains about "woke media" fucking Days Gone every week or so.

If not for one or two reviewers complaining about the white protagonist or whatever, all the others were justified.

Totally fair, ive never given it a go Ive just heard its good while has flaws. Nothing amazing. I'm sure a 75 or so is where it stands, or maybea 6 out of 10. I bought it super cheap to give it a go.

Agree. The IGN chick and "too much water" chick at Gamespot talked about their woke BS with this game on Twitter.
They even had an issue with all the freakers being white . . . which is explained in the game.
This game needed the Day 1 patch for reviewers, and was a victim of releasing at the height of wokeism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom