• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Creative Director Blames Bugs, Reviewers Not Bothering to Play and "Woke" Reviewers For Lack of Better Reception

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Agree 100%. Gavin is finally speaking his mind about this.

Those sjw reviewers are nuts and DO NOT represent America or the world in General. They represent at most a 2-5% fraction of freaks and weirdos that go to reset-era and reddit and find everything "problematic".

There is nothing wrong with saying your wife has a nice ass.

This game is amazing! I am re-playing it now and the details and fun exploration + combat is so good.
If the woke weren't' there this would be getting a sequel.
The racist fucks took over sony and now won't let any new game have a new protagonist be a masculine hetero sexual white dude.
Can't have that , sjws will flail in screen in their elite echo chambers.

I found Deacon, Boozer, his wife, copeland, tucker, etc.. as good characters and npcs. They were grounded in reality.
A game that was not buggy for me, and that new and fresh. No other game has a biker or hoards.
The game is also fun. Its exploration is great. The history markers have a story in them too if you look.

I am so saddened that this won't get the sequel it desrveres. Who would of thought a new ip selling 10mil+ and no sequel. wtf..

This post is so dumb in so many ways, but "The racist fucks took over sony and now won't let any new game have a new protagonist be a masculine hetero sexual white dude".."

Seriously...? Did God of War Ragnarok not come out literally a month ago? Did Death Stranding not just recently come out? Final Fantasy VII Remake? Uncharted 4? Spider-Man and it's upcoming sequel?

Animated GIF

The game didn't review well because it was a mediocre game. And folks making fun of the "wife's ass" scene and the "ride you like your motorcycle" line is because they reflect that the writing is super bad and cringey. Not because it's offensive.

Last edited:

yurinka

Agree with how the game was unjustly attacked for having a white male protagonist and a biker wedding scene (without doing any research on that topic and realizing it's "real"). Some reviewers were blind to the fact that the game also featured stuff like diverse characters (including minority female bikers) and just went in with the pitchforks.

As for the bugs and poor performance, the game should've definitely been released in better state. You can only do a good first impression once and not many people cared that the state of the game has greatly improved (on the PS4).
Yes, the game needed a couple of extra months or so of bugfixing and optimization. They fixed these issues post launch in a month or two and is in a good shape since then, or in the PC port. Apparently the review builds were more buggy/had worse performance issues than the final released code.

Other than that the game was very good, maybe not outstanding in any specific thing but was very solid and fun to play, had interesting ideas (like having to care about your bike reparing it or filling its fuel, using it as a moving inventory that you can't have always with you, or the hordes, or having a tough biker as main character instead of the more typical nice well mannered/well-spoken good guy) and it kept you engaged even if the start of the game was a bit slow.

The reviewers with the pitchforks proving that they didn't have played the game by claiming the lack of diversity in the game were embarassing. Same goes with the racist, sexist and heterophobic ones complaining about having a white, male, heterosexual character as main protagonist or having a couple telling stuff or watching to each other in a non Disney way.

Garvin is right about the three points.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I thought it was strange at the beginning, but she was clearly scarred and shocked by the whole situation, way more than anyone else if you consider that she had already an hunch that the whole problem was partially caused by her like you see in a cutscene later.

I think it can happen to have an initial cold reaction when you don't see someone for a long time, thinking that he was death and with all the shitty circumstances.

It was a breath of fresh air to not see the usual reaction you see in any show when the 2 lovers are reunited tbh, amd she get softer and softer the more missions you do for her until she break and fuck him:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Fair point, definitely was a different approach and not the cliche, well-trodden option.

An alternative: you could have Deacon be in shock at how she didn't care that he was still alive and had no interest in reuniting, forcing him to reevaluate his entire journey up to that point and why he was fighting so hard to stay alive and make it to her. Have Deacon become demoralized and start taking risks self-destructively. Have him retreat from the world for a while and live in darkness and isolation. Have him destroy the camp she's living in to "save" her, but it only pushes her away more. Force him to find new meaning to go on and finally make real connections in the present rather than chasing after the past, etc. It would have been a more challenging narrative structure to actually cut the ties between them after their reunion but could have made for a memorable character arc, fitting with the underlying passage of time theme.

A bit like The Searchers. Too much to ask from video game writing though, probably.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Fuck off Schreier you disingenuous cunt.

We ALL know reviewers are swayed by what's in vogue at the time, so if your work comes up at the wrong time/wrong place you aren't going to get a fair shake. The rise of "activist" reviewers (I refuse to dignify their shite by calling them journalists or critics) just made the problem unavoidable as to them "everything is political".

Last edited:
Nah, it’s just a very generic open world game. I tried twice to get into it because I love open world games and zombies. Failed both times.

lol @ that Greggy tweet. What a bitch.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think he is spot on.

1. The game had lots of bugs at launch. It's a significantly different experience if you play it on PS5.
2 and 3. I remember Gamespot's review. The girl complained about the lack of stuff that is literally in the later parts of the game. It's clear that she did not complete the game and then deducted scores for stuff that she thought wasn't in the game.

winjer

Gold Member
I enjoyed the combat and exploration. Graphics were also very good.
But story and characters weren't particularly good. Boozer and Skizzo were just annoying.
Several dialogs were very cringe worthy, with some really bad writing.

I wish the had more about fighting huge hordes and less of a schlocky story.

Drizzlehell

Banned
He saw what his peers were saying and felt pressured. This guy is as spineless of a snail trail pussy as they come.
He's a total jackass and pretty much a perfect example of what's wrong with gaming press.

I can't really find that video right now (probably because it was delisted) but I remember him doing an interview with one of the developers behind Wolfenstein: The New Order, and his opening question was "So Nazis, huh? What did they ever do deserve so much violence in video games?" or something along those lines.

How fucking dumb and tone-deaf you'd have to be to ask that question on camera, lol.

hinch7

Put some glasses on next time:

jurn-daysgonedlkjx.jpg

Dude, this is the majority's opinion on the game. If you don't believe me just look at this Thread:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/boug...ouls-but-cant-stop-playing-days-gone.1580111/

I've never seen this level of appreciation for a non-multiplatform game on GAF, ever.

Oh, God forbid having survival, meaningful and unpredictable elements in a survival open world..
I already have glasses tyvm. But lol that's some dedication, if you did that diaorama of tweets.

That's some unfounded hate from reviewers. Not too surprising at the top ones considering they all look and sound like Twitter warriors. Besides that, overall the reception to the game is that it was just an okay game. Some found it quite entertaining, others derrriviate and not executed well enough to stand out from other great games at the time. And thats even before looking at the story and characters. Hence middling or mixed reviews as a whole.

Last edited:
The game was about a 7/10 for me

But yeah, no doubt the game would have had a Metacritic in the high 80s/low 90s if it had a female or gay black guy as the protagonist.

The more racist your game is against straight white men the higher the metacritic.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fair point, definitely was a different approach and not the cliche, well-trodden option.

An alternative: you could have Deacon be in shock at how she didn't care that he was still alive and had no interest in reuniting, forcing him to reevaluate his entire journey up to that point and why he was fighting so hard to stay alive and make it to her. Have Deacon become demoralized and start taking risks self-destructively. Have him retreat from the world for a while and live in darkness and isolation. Have him destroy the camp she's living in to "save" her, but it only pushes her away more. Force him to find new meaning to go on and finally make real connections in the present rather than chasing after the past, etc. It would have been a more challenging narrative structure to actually cut the ties between them after their reunion but could have made for a memorable character arc, fitting with the underlying passage of time theme.

A bit like The Searchers. Too much to ask from video game writing though, probably.
Naughty Dog would have done that downward spiral approach, they did it with TLoU2, even if some felt it ran on too long, or did not click with it. To me, it made that game dreadful/depressing story wise, even though I enjoyed the gameplay.

Only reason I can think Deacon did what he did, was that he was/is still madly in love with her. And in a world of hopelessness in which he was headed, the glimpse of hope with her still possibly being alive and finally seeing her alive, kept him going. Played the long game like he did the first time. Winning her love back kept him going, giving him something to live for, I suppose.

Edit: I still think he should have smashed that bi Indian chick that clearly still had the hots for him.

Last edited:
I played it on pc and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The graphics were beautiful, it was very well optimised, and there were no bugs, crashes, or freezes in my entire 30+ hour playthrough.

The bike was great, with well weighted physics and handling, and the shooting was surprisingly good too.

Story, value for money, art direction, the open world, all got high marks from me...and the end game hordes were brilliantly done.

On top of all that, if I remember correctly, it wasn't even full AAA retail (£60-70) at launch for pc (it was £40).

It's a real shame there was no DLC - and even more so the fact there is no sequel coming...as I'd have been there day one.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He's a total jackass and pretty much a perfect example of what's wrong with gaming press.

I can't really find that video right now (probably because it was delisted) but I remember him doing an interview with one of the developers behind Wolfenstein: The New Order, and his opening question was "So Nazis, huh? What did they ever do deserve so much violence in video games?" or something along those lines.

How fucking dumb and tone-deaf you'd have to be to ask that question on camera, lol.
Clearly that would be a sarcastic comment, but he would be judged to hell in back by his peers in current year, devoid of context. He collapsed like a bag of meat jello when his supposed "good friend" made a completely harmless joke in a similar nature of context and nuance. One big pussy.

Some tried with Ghost of Tsushima as well until Japan told them to stfu.
Bingo!

They even erected a shrine on Tsushima island in honor of those American developers.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Now he's throwing his old development team under the bus:

Real winner, this guy. Blaming everyone but himself.

They literally got him fired two days after launch.

Id say they did him worse.

I can only imagine the reactions to this tweet over there in the land of crazy purple people...
They continue to post the ride me like your bike line like morons even after being shown the context behind it.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Clearly that would be a sarcastic comment, but he would be judged to hell in back by his peers in current year, devoid of context. He collapsed like a bag of meat jello when his supposed "good friend" made a completely harmless joke in a similar nature of context and nuance. One big pussy.
Yeah, clearly, but I remember that his demeanor during that interview and the reaction he got from that guy made the joke come off as really cringeworthy and out of place. It was like an unintentional Between Two Ferns moment, which is hardly the feeling you wanna bring across when conducting interviews for a big gaming website, lol.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The gameplay is actually really good.

Some of the writing is pure cringe but I mean, this is from the writers of syphpn filter. We were hardly expecting an Oscar. I think it was launched early and suffered badly due to bugs. I played it at 60fps on PS5 and platinumed the game and enjoyed it. It dragged at the end a tad bit overall a solid 8/10.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
People in the social media era organize their relationships based on alignment of public views rather than trustworthiness, mutual respect, and genuine character. Disturbing way to live, where you throw your friends to the angry mob the moment you see a way to score a few points by doing so.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People in the social media era organize their relationships based on alignment of public views rather than trustworthiness, mutual respect, and genuine character. Disturbing way to live, where you throw your friends to the angry mob the moment you see a way to score a few points by doing so.
Yep. Saw it first hand when the soured cream was quickly rising to the top around 2016/17. Deleted personal social media pages where I and others pushed back on it from 2013-2016 when it was ramping up. instead of dealing with the never ending race to the bottom of false purity.

Keep in contact with the real ones with actual real life meaningful relationships. Not some virtual pretender world where most seem to act like they're in an avatar, even when real names and pictures are used. You only see the sides of themselves people want you to see. And even then, a lot of it is fantasy.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He got fired because his game sucked and because, judging by his tweets, he's a jackass.
His game sucked? Nonsense. It has an 8.8 user rating on PC. Compared to 71 critic rating on PS4. Thats a huge difference we just dont see in that direction.

It's clear that there is a divide between critics and users.

And nothing hes said in that tweet is moronic. It's backed by facts. They had data on what reviewers played. They didnt even come close to finishing the game. He himself conceded that it was buggy and broken at launch rushed out by Sony like they were role playing as EA or Ubisoft for that one release. His woke criticism is spot on if you read ANY reviews that went on and on about how there were no black zombies, how a man dared to flirt with his wife, and all kinds of nonsense that had nothing to do with the gameplay.

jaysius

Banned
Dude started making a zombie game when zombies were trending down and we were tired of that same old same old open world design. The real issue was the game took too long to develop, if it had of come a year sooner the gameplay wouldn't have felt so samey and dated.

AndrewRyan

Only played the first two hours but it hasn't really grabbed me so far. Will keep playing a few more hours since it's supposed to pick up but the slow start isn't doing it any favors.

First thought reading the tweat is he threw the dev team under the bus.

bender

What time is it?
His game sucked? Nonsense. It has an 8.8 user rating on PC. Compared to 71 critic rating on PS4. Thats a huge difference we just dont see in that direction.

It's clear that there is a divide between critics and users.

And nothing hes said in that tweet is moronic. It's backed by facts. They had data on what reviewers played. They didnt even come close to finishing the game. He himself conceded that it was buggy and broken at launch rushed out by Sony like they were role playing as EA or Ubisoft for that one release. His woke criticism is spot on if you read ANY reviews that went on and on about how there were no black zombies, how a man dared to flirt with his wife, and all kinds of nonsense that had nothing to do with the gameplay.

The game was rough technically when it launch on PS4 and was improved through patching. The state of the game was much different by the time it released on PC. We also see large deltas between critics and users fairly often.

Mossybrew

Game was alright, got it for like 15 bucks and got my money's worth. It didn't help that you don't get to properly engage with the game's best feature, taking out those massive hordes, until fairly late in the game. And yeah the player character definitely put me off from buying the game right away, white trash biker culture is just the worst.

Top Bottom