• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Creative Director Blames Bugs, Reviewers Not Bothering to Play and "Woke" Reviewers For Lack of Better Reception

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I think he is spot on.

and quiet honestly, the game did have a lot of bugs at launch. It was a major ball drop in regards to quality from a SONY first party release.

The dialogue did not bother me, it is one of my favorite games on PS5 with 60 fps patch.

It wasn't even the bugs that really go me, it was simply how it was designed and how repetitive it was. It made the time playing thru the game even worse as it started to feel like a chore and picks up near the end.

I don't care for most games dialogue so that also didn't bother me lol I was more there for gameplay first as that story was just fucking horrid. It got to be such a bore, I was just there to complete the hoards and get thru the game at one point.

I could never say this is my favorite game by the publisher, it can't even rank in the top 100 games I beat last gen, but I'd say it did have deep potential to do something different with future games to further its concept. I never really felt like you where surviving in the wild and i felt the game could have done a better job at that, but I give it a pass based on it being a new IP and believing they will expand on those ideas in the future.

TheKratos

Oh you mean Uncharted 4 where him and his brother get beat up by a strong, female POC villain. Where he loses utterly at the end and the villain is made to the sensible person, gets away unscathed (first Uncharted villain to go undefeated, btw) and appears in the Uncharted game after Uncharted 4? Where a sequel is setup where he is replaced by his daughter?

Not quite the same I would say.
I wouldn't mind if he got his ass whooped by Nadine IF he the gameplay didn't have melee. You're literally kicking ass of military trained people yet only Nadine destroys you PLUS your brother. Never go full woke.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This has to be one of the dumbest messages I've ever read on a message board. Don't you think something happened over the last years that could have slowed things down?
Lmao. We know exactly what happened with this studio. They wasted 6 months on a days gone 2 pitch which was rejected. Then another year and a half on an uncharted pitch that they left because they didn’t like ND meddling. Since then, nothing.

Meanwhile fromsoft released sekiro around the same time as days gone in 2019 and yet they managed to make and release elden ring during that time while dealing with covid just like everyone else. Jedi survivor was made in 3 years.

There were literally over 50 games shown at the show. Only bend got covid, sure. Gtfo.

KWAB

Banned
Lmao. We know exactly what happened with this studio. They wasted 6 months on a days gone 2 pitch which was rejected. Then another year and a half on an uncharted pitch that they left because they didn’t like ND meddling. Since then, nothing.

Meanwhile fromsoft released sekiro around the same time as days gone in 2019 and yet they managed to make and release elden ring during that time while dealing with covid just like everyone else. Jedi survivor was made in 3 years.

There were literally over 50 games shown at the show. Only bend got covid, sure. Gtfo.
And what's the problem then? You just admitted 2 years were wasted working on something else that didn't move to full production. It happened to Sucker Punch too for example, Infamous Second Son came out in early 2014 but they were able to reveal Ghost of Tsushima only at the end of 2017. They had a failed pitch too, some game called Prophecy. For some reason you want to make a big deal out of it while defending a guy that now works for some crypto bullshit. Surely great stuff will come out of Liithos.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's been 3 years since DG. Anyone know what games he's working on since then? Googling him, I cant find anything except DG as his latest game.

Famipan

It's been 3 years since DG. Anyone know what games he's working on since then? Googling him, I cant find anything except DG as his latest game.
John Garvin left Bend and is working on Ashfall - some kind of open-world NFT game with a comic book series. The game world reminds me a bit of Death Stranding and funny enough, the composer from DS is also working on it.

Bend is now working on a new IP based on the wonderful open-world engine in Days Gone. Greatly looking forward to it.

Seriously, people who didn’t try Challenges in Days Gone has to try it.
The game is far from all the boring Ubisoft games.

Play it on PS5 on a 4K in HDR. Looks amazing and has very good HDR implementation compared to RDR2 and Plague Tale for example.

Days Gone has got over 20 patches since release and works well, but avoid rest mode. If it appears buggy, try restarting the console.

If you want to hear more indepth stories and background about the development of the game (it was imagined to be a trilogy says John Garvin in episode 51), the soundtrack, its actors and some fans from different backgrounds (a motorbike rider among others), I can HIGHLY recommend to give the The Days Gone Podcast a listen. It’s very professionally recorded and directed with perfect length 40-60 min on the episodes.

Last edited:

Haint

John Garvin left Bend and is working on Ashfall - some kind of open-world NFT game with a comic book series. The game world reminds me a bit of Death Stranding and funny enough, the composer from DS is also working on it.

Bend is now working on a new IP based on the wonderful open-world engine in Days Gone. Greatly looking forward to it.

Seriously, people who didn’t try Challenges in Days Gone has to try it.
The game is far from all the boring Ubisoft games.

Play it on PS5 on a 4K in HDR. Looks amazing and has very good HDR implementation compared to RDR2 and Plague Tale for example.

Days Gone has got over 20 patches since release and works well, but avoid rest mode. If it appears buggy, try restarting the console.

If you want to hear more indepth stories and background about the development of the game (it was imagined to be a trilogy says John Garvin in episode 51), the soundtrack, its actors and some fans from different backgrounds (a motorbike rider among others), I can HIGHLY recommend to give the The Days Gone Podcast a listen. It’s very professionally recorded and directed with perfect length 40-60 min on the episodes.

What do you mean 'wonderful open world engine', Days Gone was UE4.

Famipan

You mean Unreal Engine?
Yeah, my mistake. It was UE4 and John probably only took with him natural inspiration and ideas learnt from making DG. Ashfall is also set in Pacific Northwest IIRC. And Bend are probably using all they learnt from DG in their next game. They got some help from HZD people (writing some story stuff) and maybe they are even going for Decima.

Last edited:
As a PC gamer, I enjoyed Days Gone more then other Sony games. I actually finished the game.
For example, played Spider-man for 8-10 hours, got fed up and never bother finishing the game.
It was a beautifully optimised pc experience too, in stark contrast to some of the stuff being released nowadays.

P.S shame you didn't click with Spiderman, I thought it was brilliant...any chance you might go back and give it another go?

StereoVsn

I bought Days Gone for like $12 in PC and I feel I spent too much. Found it to be boring, with no interesting story, characters and enemies.

I didn't have the motivation to go beyond like 5 hours. I just think the biker setting with zombies in drab Pacific Northwest was not fun.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I bought Days Gone for like $12 in PC and I feel I spent too much. Found it to be boring, with no interesting story, characters and enemies.

I didn't have the motivation to go beyond like 5 hours. I just think the biker setting with zombies in drab Pacific Northwest was not fun.

Your loss. You didn't get out of the tutorial basically.

Doom85

Your loss. You didn't get out of the tutorial basically.

To be fair, it does take a while for the game to pick up steam (when Deacon leaves the two initial camps so he can get Boozer medical aid), like YMMV on how long but IIRC it took me 10 hours to reach that point. I wouldn’t call the game bad early on, but it wasn’t as exciting, none of the supporting characters from the two initial camps were interesting (hell, the story basically doesn’t even start until you reach Iron Mike’s), and Boozer’s stubbornness was really testing me (he does get better).

So yeah, the game does get much better, but I wouldn‘t hold it against someone who didn’t have the patience to make it through the rather mid opening act.

SkylineRKR

Days Gone is one of the better open world games I have played. The pacing was off, there was too much padding and useless story missions but the traversal and the way your bike would feel better with every upgrade was great. Hordes were fun too.

I wanted to drop it during the opening hours, but I am glad I didn't. The game does pick up and it was absolutely awesome for me. I eventually got the Platinum trophy which is really fair to get and possible in one run.

There are some bugs, and some things like better aiming being gated behind skillpoints is questionable as Deacon is a vet. But you do get much more powerful to the point Hordes aren't much of a problem.

Gamerguy84

Days Gone is one of the better open world games I have played. The pacing was off, there was too much padding and useless story missions but the traversal and the way your bike would feel better with every upgrade was great. Hordes were fun too.

I wanted to drop it during the opening hours, but I am glad I didn't. The game does pick up and it was absolutely awesome for me. I eventually got the Platinum trophy which is really fair to get and possible in one run.

There are some bugs, and some things like better aiming being gated behind skillpoints is questionable as Deacon is a vet. But you do get much more powerful to the point Hordes aren't much of a problem.

Employing different strategies based on the weapons I had or could craft at the time, and how I could use the landscape around me to get the hordes in chokepoints or other positions was amazing for me.

Riding the bike was so cool I never used fast travel. DG was top 5 for me last gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom